Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... San Jose
 Thornton as Captain?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest7085 Posted - 03/22/2007 : 16:31:06
Should Joe Thornton be the captain of the San Jose Sharks?
16   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
bablaboushka Posted - 04/20/2007 : 22:00:42
Game on the line (Sharks down 2-1 late in the second), and guess who steps up with two goals? That's right, Captain Clutch himself. Continues his dominance over the Preds (10 goals in 10 playoff games against them over the last two years) and knocks them out. The Sharks are HIS team.

I wish there was a Shark from Halifax to bring the Cup back here over the summer.
blueliner fan Posted - 04/20/2007 : 08:37:30
There is no way you take this team away from Marleau. He has spent his entire career learning what makes this team tick. He earned his title of captain through hard work, dedication, and respect from the players, coaches, and management. Anyone who speaks of Marleau has nothing but good things to say about the way he interacts with others. Patty is an amazing all-around player who has the ability to quietly instill confidence in those around him. He does what needs to be done when it needs to be done. He is one of the most complete packages in the game. His defensive accountability make him a natural center, but he'll play wing if the team needs him to. It's not even a question. He quarterback's the powerplay, plays on the PK, he play's through his injuries and gets the boys together for teambuilding events. On top of all this he leads the way for his team with his community involvement. Is there anything he doesn't do?

Although Joe puts up the big numbers and clearly has a leadership role, this is Marleau's team.

All in my opinion, of course.

Play hard....Play fast....or DON'T play at ALL!!!
sjtrufan Posted - 04/17/2007 : 07:32:44
Thornton is a great player and he does have the Leadership potential to keep the Sharks on the path that they are on. I don't think it is an issue of him not needing the added pressure or anything like that. He is just as capable to wear the "C" as Marleau. The only thing that seperates them is that Patty has seniority on the team and has proven himself as the "go-to" "clutch" leader that he is. As the old expresion goes "If it isn't broke don't fix it"
PuckNuts Posted - 04/11/2007 : 20:45:21
Some players do not react well to the leadership, I think Joe plays his best undercover and no pressure...

There are: People that make things happen, people that watch things happen, and people that wonder what happened, who are you...
Guest1786 Posted - 04/10/2007 : 10:32:54
Thornton does have some leadership yes. But just because he is the best player on the team doesn't mean that he should be named captain. I say give Marleau the C and things will keep going the way they are... (which is good) you can't just give the best player on the team the C. In New York Jagr is given the C and he definatly doesnt desserve it.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 04/05/2007 : 19:31:59
Can't replace Marleau he's definetely a better leader

Leafs 4 Playoffs!!
Saku Steen Posted - 03/27/2007 : 04:06:04
Thornton would be a great captain but Marleau I guess is better.
ED11 Posted - 03/26/2007 : 23:00:57
The only way that Thornton would have gotten the "C" is if Marleau stepped aside for him when he got there. Babs is right, as long as Marleau is there he will be captain.
leigh Posted - 03/26/2007 : 23:00:30
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka

...7085, why would you say that? And why would you say something so absurd like this and not offer any reasons/your opinion about it?...

All 7085 did was just ask a question. He didn't say he thought Thornton should be captain. It's not that absurd, often the best players on teams are the captains. Thornton is both the best player and he has previous leadership experience so it's a good question and worthy of discussion I think.

Having said that, I agree with you Babs, Marleau is doing a fine job and very worthy. I liked your comments about Thornton's early rise to captaincy and have thought the same myself. Too often teams thrust too much pressure on young developing players and they can't handle it, especially desperate teams. Slightly off topic...while I don't think Crosby should have an A yet, I'm at least glad they didn't drop the C on him right away.

So to answer 7085's question. No keep the C where it is. I haven't heard of any in-fighting so why switch? Joe is flourishing without it and so is the team. They have been cup contenders for a few years and this year is no different.
Canucks Man Posted - 03/26/2007 : 22:02:06
quote:
Originally posted by -oil-country-

Babs that's why i added that im not even sure if Thornton is a better captain because i haven't watched much Sharks games to see who actually leads them. That is really good point you made about how well Marleau plays in the playoffs.

I just wanna say watching a player on the ice doesnt overly show how good of a leader he is, its only part of it.
I think it would be a big mistake if San Jose took the "C" away from Marlaeu and gave it to Thronton, It would be bad for the cofidence of Marlaeu.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
PainTrain Posted - 03/26/2007 : 20:57:23
You know Marleau is one of the most under rated players, he is the leading goal scorer in San Jose's franchise and he is a great leader. He may never lead the team in points with Thornton there but would you ever see Jason Smith leading the Oilers in points? I think not.
1 Crosby fan Posted - 03/22/2007 : 18:35:15
Exactly what Babs said Marleau is there captain and look Thornton is good but he has only been there for 1.5 years and you think he deserves to be there captain look at Marleau last year he had a Career year but Thornton also had a Career year Marleau would have been praised but Thornton was there Marleau i think is a awesome Captain man i hope he stays there and is Captain until he retires or until he gets traded(unlikely)
-oil-country- Posted - 03/22/2007 : 18:02:53
Babs that's why i added that im not even sure if Thornton is a better captain because i haven't watched much Sharks games to see who actually leads them. That is really good point you made about how well Marleau plays in the playoffs.
bablaboushka Posted - 03/22/2007 : 17:39:26
So far they've added one more, another Cheechoo from Michalek, Thornton goal.

HOW CAN YOU SAY THAT THORNTON IS A BETTER LEADER THAN MARLEAU????????????????????????????? His premature leadership is one of the major reasons Thornton left Boston. He was made captain when he was too young and not ready to lead. When Boston made the playoffs, Thornton seemed to disappear and couldn't get the job done when he was counted on. He didn't even do all that much last year for SJ in the playoffs. On the other hand, Marleau is clutch when it counts most. He has 3 hat-tricks in the last two playoffs, and even though he hasn't gone all the way with SJ yet, it is only a matter of time. He has 26 points in the last two playoffs and that number is only going to go way up in the next few years.

7085, why would you say that? And why would you say something so absurd like this and not offer any reasons/your opinion about it?

As long as Marleau is a Shark, he will be the captain.
-oil-country- Posted - 03/22/2007 : 16:53:05
This is kind of off topic but, how about the line of Michalek-Thornton-Cheechoo they have been racking up the points lately. In the last 5 games they have 32 points combined Michalek has 11 points, Cheechoo has 8 and Thornton has 13, they also have 2 points each and it's only at the end of the 1st in the Atalnta vs. San Jose game.
-oil-country- Posted - 03/22/2007 : 16:35:35
Although he might be better than Marleau as a cpatain i don't think it's the right move to make just like how Dallas took it from Modano and i don't even know if Thornton is a better leader than Marleau.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page