Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Suggestions
 Alex's Suggestions

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Alex Posted - 06/19/2008 : 07:56:14
I think I've paid my dues around this site long enough to warrant a voice in the ''Suggestions'' part of the forums.

Here it is:

1) Numbered Posts: Every time you post, we should be able to see what number post that is in relation to your posting career (for example 240 / 2500).

The reason I say this is because it's fun to track our forum members' rise from humble beginnings to where they are now. On Monday I looked in the archives of this forum for the fun of it.

It was funny to read Beans15's pre-mod day posts. It's interesting to see how people reacted and responded to him before he became a moderator and now. I think this would be a very useful feature.

2) Pre-Post Screening: This one might be trying to bite off a little more than we can chew. The way it would work is that before you can post something it has to be approved by a moderator or the admin. This way we'd filter a lot of the spam and garbage this site gets every day.

EDIT (June 22): I was skimming through some old forums again today. You know what else we need? A FaceBook group!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those were my own ideas, but I'm also going to reiterate some of the things thrown out by other members.

Firstly we should fix the glitch where some threads allow only members to post.

Secondly, we should have the ability to upload avatars.

And finally, member ranks should be altered. Do you realize how unachievable these numbers are? Assuming a member averaged two posts per day, it would take over 13 years to become a PickUpHockey Legend, more than 6 to become an All Star, and nearly 3.5 to become a Veteran. I realize the reason they are so high is for members who started off the way I did, with 20 posts per day. But to change the rule to work for a select few at the expense of the masses seems slightly unfair. Most members stop being active way before hitting 5000 posts anyways from what I know, so there is no way we will ever reach the higher end of the Member Ranks scale. Leigh/Admin (the site's oldest member) only has 2267 posts combined, what does that say? Please reconsider admin

In Closing: I am really grateful for this site and am in no way complaining. I also realize that every change made probably slows down the server a little bit. I am only suggesting what I would like to see, and understand if the changes won't be made. I would appreciate a response in any case, and will continue to love the site and post frequently regardless

-The New Kid on the Block
33   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Oilking Posted - 02/04/2009 : 12:12:55
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

quote:
Originally posted by Gostarsgo12

Great Suggestions I actully had one that I was going to make but Im not sure how it will respected. I know Pickuphockey is strictly hockey based but it wouldn't be a bad thing to see a 'Other Sports" heading in the Forums there we could talk about baseball, basketball, football etc. Im a huge Jays fan and a Cowboys fan so you can see that I like other sports not just hockey. So i don't know how you guys will like this idea but I might as well throw it out there!

I actually think this is a great idea. I can't imagine anyone on here being strictly a Hockey fan. An "Other Sports" or "Off Topic" forum would be very interesting.

I am wondering why would we have off topics as is the site name not pickup hockey.com ? Why doesn't someone go through all the work these guys did and set up your own website for off topic subjects as this is a hockey site I thought when I came in here

Oh well here we go again
Guest4043 Posted - 07/12/2008 : 21:51:15
THere is absolutely no need for post rankings. Post for the meaning, not to improve your status
Beans15 Posted - 07/10/2008 : 12:23:45
I just wanted to throw this out as I can understand if my last post was viewed as a shot to Alex.

It wasn't.

I was just trying to use an example of someone who started out posting like a madman and settled into a solid role with the site. I did the same thing. So did many others on the site. There often seems to be a "honeymoon" period with the site were a new member is so excited about being able to talk hockey with other people that they posts are crazy.

I was just trying to say that as a huge fan of the site and a mod, I like when the honeymoon period ends and I think that lowering the counts too much would just extend the honeymoon time. Also, you might see people that are coming close to the next level posting a ton just to get there. And there were also the celebration threads that people would start when their acheived thier next status.

All of these things (IMO) take away from the purity of this being a hockey talk site.

No offense intended Alex or anyone else.
Leafs Rock Planet Posted - 07/09/2008 : 20:12:27
Everybody needs to accept the fact that post count and rankings are not what you are getting yourself into by joining this site. I come here because I enjoy talking hockey with knowledgable people and I want my reasoning to stay the same and I hope everyones reasoning is the same.

I am probably one of the longest(still relitively active members here) that has been on this site and to be honest i dont even know what my post count is. Somewhere close to 800 but it does not bother me to press back and look and have an exact number for everyone to know.

Did that make sense?

Gostarsgo12 Posted - 07/09/2008 : 18:00:11
Thx Admin for lowering the ranks. I think it would be great to start back up a facebook group.
admin Posted - 07/09/2008 : 15:59:31
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9874

quote:
Originally posted by admin

quote:

Ya come on how come I can't comment in some of the threads?? Fix that glitch!

Which forums can't you post in. They should all be open to EVERYONE. Unless the author stated otherwise (which we don't approve of anyway)

At least five times in the past few months i've been frustrated with not bein able to contribute,,, one of the most obvious ones bein the debate over ''most dominant athlete'',,, one other guest decided to''solve'' the problem by ''hijacking'' the guest gurus blog, this lead to repricussions from mardigras and others... just a big mess!!

Ok I'll look into those ones. I'd suggest signing up, takes a minute and we won't spam you (twice a year we remind everyone about the upcoming pool season)
admin Posted - 07/09/2008 : 15:56:44
Ok I have listened long enough. Now it's everyone else's turn to listen please.

RANKINGS - regardless of the number, not everyone will be happy. This I know well after 6 years! In addition, if the LEGEND category was easily attainable (it is the highest rank) then everyone would be a legend and I would not stop hearing "we need more rankings classes" to which others would reply "How can we ever reach these new ranking categories, they're too far away! Lower them" and the cycle would continue over and over. Rankings are fun, I get it, and I have to admit that I was proud after 6 years when I achieved the 1000 mark. Yes they are supposed to be attainable but remember you must reach one before the other. If your purpose is to get a higher post count then you're missing the point of the site, it's to engage in a meaningful and fun hockey dialogue. The Legend status is hard to reach at 10,000 because I want it to be given to someone who is committed. The same way it is given to real players...it's earned! Take Beans for example, he's been here for a couple years, avid quality poster, and committed, his count is at about 2500. So that means that after about 8+ years he'll reach Legend status. Sounds reasonable to me! We have several members that have been around for 6+ years (they are not as active however) So it does happen and they should be rewarded.

Having said, that here are the NEW RANKINGS:
- Rookie - 300 (down from 500)
- Pro - 1000 (same)
- Veteran - 2000 (down from 2500)
- All-Star - 4000 (down from 5000)
- Legend - 8000 (down from 10000 - still a tough thing to reach by design!)

Please note that the forum software we use only allows for 5 ranking levels. If it allowed more I would sneak a few more in but it doesn't so there you have it.

NUMBERED POSTS: currently not available in the software we use. Nice idea and would be an interesting thing. So if it becomes available we'll incorporate it. I

POST SCREENING: This is just not practical on a site with over 170,000 unique visitors a month. We'd be screening all day. Spam usually gets posted in the early morning (we're on the west coast) Usually by robots. We try to grab it ASAP but unfortunately we can't get it as quickly as we'd like sometimes. It is also more noticeable than on other sites because our top 20 recent posts show up on the home page and I know this is the gateway to the forum for many users. This is an ongoing issue and when we come up with a better solutions we'll definitely employ it but screening is not the answer.

FACEBOOK: I know a couple guys started one last year. I don't think it took off but let's give it another whirl. You can find it at: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2407022401

AVATAR UPLOADING: Not a feature option available with our current forum software. Also a very risky endevour - spammers would love us!
Guest9874 Posted - 07/09/2008 : 15:36:13
quote:
Originally posted by admin

quote:

Which forums can't you post in. They should all be open to EVERYONE. Unless the author stated otherwise (which we don't approve of anyway)

At least five times in the past few months i've been frustrated with not bein able to contribute,,, one of the most obvious ones bein the debate over ''most dominant athlete'',,, one other guest decided to''solve'' the problem by ''hijacking'' the guest gurus blog, this lead to repricussions from mardigras and others... just a big mess!!
willus3 Posted - 07/09/2008 : 15:31:23
quote:
Originally posted by I´m also Cånädiön

quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

If it is that important to people to have a "status" on the site, perhaps we can have a voting system. Maybe once a month the system could produce the top 5 posts by volume for the previous month. From there, we could set up a forum that would allow members to vote on weather or not a member should go up in status. That way, not only volume but substance to the posts would be the indicator of a person achieving a higher ranking.

Personally I couldn´t care less about ranking. My main reasons to post on this site is to learn about hockey and contribute after best ability, chat with nice people and to keep my english from deteriating to much so it remains on acceptable levels.

Voting on member status would IMO turn something that´s fun and relaxing into a d--k measuring contest, why would anybody wanna do that?

I am in complete agreement here. I don't think I'll ever understand this hang up with post count.
admin Posted - 07/09/2008 : 15:04:30
quote:

Alex Posted - 07/09/2008 : 14:35:02
quote:

For example, as much as Alex is a great member of the site, when he first started he was averaging about 30 posts a day, with many of them being as I stated above. He started on this site a year later than I did and has more posts. Although his posting improved significantly since his early days, averaging 10 posts a day is still pretty high.

I know you did not intend it as a ''shot'' but I just want to clarify something: in the last two months, my posts per day is 0.98. It has gone down gradually from about 17.5 a couple months ago to the 10.38 it is at now, which is a result of many posts at the beginning.

I e-mailed the admin about this and asked him if he could refresh the system to retabulate my post count (I deleted all the stupid posts that really were either one word, or totally irrelavant, or just quoting something and agreeing...) He did not want to do that though, because he felt that members would just look at the present input and overlook the post count.

However, I would have to say that people don't seem to be able to get over the fact that I once was a posting fiend (by no means an easy feat; not sure I'd even be able to get over it myself...) It seems to me that from the lower end, post count doesn't mean anything but rather post value; however from the higher end, post count means more than post value??

Please consider what I said and accept the fact that my post total doesn't even reflect my total posts, and I have made an attempt at ''shaving'' that total, because I feel I don't belong in a league with those who got to 2500 or so on their own sweat and toil.

Thank you.

McCain for President!
I´m also Cånädiön Posted - 07/09/2008 : 10:19:31
quote:

If it is that important to people to have a "status" on the site, perhaps we can have a voting system. Maybe once a month the system could produce the top 5 posts by volume for the previous month. From there, we could set up a forum that would allow members to vote on weather or not a member should go up in status. That way, not only volume but substance to the posts would be the indicator of a person achieving a higher ranking.

Personally I couldn´t care less about ranking. My main reasons to post on this site is to learn about hockey and contribute after best ability, chat with nice people and to keep my english from deteriating to much so it remains on acceptable levels.

Voting on member status would IMO turn something that´s fun and relaxing into a d--k measuring contest, why would anybody wanna do that?
Beans15 Posted - 07/09/2008 : 09:07:19
As a moderator, I dislike the status based on number of posts. It make the job to keep the site clean that much harder when there are posts like, " You said it," or " I completely agree." In my time here, regardless of how many time the mods or admin drop the forum rules, there are always people that make low substance posts.

For example, as much as Alex is a great member of the site, when he first started he was averaging about 30 posts a day, with many of them being as I stated above. He started on this site a year later than I did and has more posts. Although his posting improved significantly since his early days, averaging 10 posts a day is still pretty high. I tend to think I have been one of the more active members on the site in the past two years and my average of 4 a day is higher than most. Consider Willus and Andyhack are at 2.5 and 1.5 respectively and many of us consider them being two of the most valuable members of the site. Look at admin who has been around since 2002 and averages less than 1 post a day!

Guest9874 Posted - 07/09/2008 : 04:32:20

+ also, i\d become a member but there's no point, the ranks are way 2 high. call it shalow, but all forums have ranks, and for some reason theyve grown on me. not being able to becom a rookie without sittin in front of my computer for six months straight doesnt cut it for me and clearly many ppl agree with me

admin please adress the issue,,, i really liked bradthebadadas idea, maybe even cut it down 40 percent instead of 30? think about it.
n/a Posted - 07/08/2008 : 08:05:06
Some decent suggestions . . . my comments:

1. Avatars - to me, this is the number one issue to change, and it is very doable. Make it simple for yourselves, admins, and let the posters upload their own logo. Just like the spambots who put out mesages that have to be deleted, you will get some stuff that has to be taken off (it's a family site, guys!), but - it will be less work overall, I think.

2. Poster Rankings - I think I am in agreement with almost everyone here, rankings should be achievable. Make it an actual possibility to be a legend. Ok, so an extremely prolific person like Alex would get an inflated ranking . . . big deal. He started around the time I did here, and if your rationale in the first place is that it's "no big deal", then why make one? At an incredible posting rate such as Alex's, something you will rarely (if ever) see again, it still might take a year and a half to reach legend status. For more normal rates such as myself, it would still take many years . . . plus, you could also arbitrarily designate "legend" status in certain posters who have been around for a while, etc - your Beans, Willuses and the lot.

3. I don't think the pre-post screening would work for this forum. Not very user friendly for a chat site, and it's super work intensive for the mods. You'd probably have to pay here for sure then!

4. Numbered posts idea . . . I like that, but don't know the logistics involved.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
hockster Posted - 07/05/2008 : 13:27:04
It would take way to long for the mods to approve every post.
That is dumb

But i am with you for the Rankings
99pickles Posted - 06/24/2008 : 00:57:38
quote:
Originally posted by fat_elvis_rocked

quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:
Originally posted by FranzenFanatic

where the hell is the admin who does he think he is never showing up anymore
admin why dont you actually do somethin you never respond you never post your boring as hell

tell these guys how stupid their ideas are PLEASE!

Do you have any good ideas? Please shower some brilliance down upon us from your cloud of knowledge.

I don't know Pickles.....

I'm not too sure about the 'shower of brilliance from the cloud of knowledge', but I'm pretty sure he can burp something up from his bowel of beligerence.....

well-said!
Datsyuk 1 Posted - 06/23/2008 : 23:37:19
Okay, I have read this whole thread and there are some really good ideas. I have a great idea but I don't know how to get to track it. Anyways here it is. Screw the post count, we should have someone on this site tracking who ever is posting the most detail and who is the most respectable poster here. Like for example we could have beans who is the most respected poster here have his posts and his post count. Actually screw that we could have like who ever is the most most respected poster like have a #1 beside there post count.

Like Beans15
His picture
His post count
And then #1??

I don't think this would work but I'm just throwing it out there.

Time to golf!
fat_elvis_rocked Posted - 06/22/2008 : 23:29:49
quote:
Originally posted by 99pickles

quote:

admin why dont you actually do somethin you never respond you never post your boring as hell

Do you have any good ideas? Please shower some brilliance down upon us from your cloud of knowledge.

I don't know Pickles.....

I'm not too sure about the 'shower of brilliance from the cloud of knowledge', but I'm pretty sure he can burp something up from his bowel of beligerence.....
99pickles Posted - 06/22/2008 : 16:14:50
quote:

Gostarsgo12 Posted - 06/20/2008 : 13:13:42
Its good to see that you guys like it. If I recall I believe Thorntonistheman is also a Jays fan. Anyway will wait and see, I made a suggestion a long time ago about including a player stats page to track how your players are doing each night and Admin didn't add it but hopefully some of these ideas get put into consideration next rebuild. Alex I like the rating system idea thats a good one but for the Pre post screening I just see Admin and Moderator having to do alot of work.
MSC Posted - 06/20/2008 : 10:36:47
The Jays are slowly breaking my heart inning by inning. We've had good conversations in the past regarding Barry Bonds and Pete Rose as well. The interest is definatly there.
Pasty7 Posted - 06/20/2008 : 10:02:01
quote:
Originally posted by MSC

quote:

Great Suggestions I actully had one that I was going to make but Im not sure how it will respected. I know Pickuphockey is strictly hockey based but it wouldn't be a bad thing to see a 'Other Sports" heading in the Forums there we could talk about baseball, basketball, football etc. Im a huge Jays fan and a Cowboys fan so you can see that I like other sports not just hockey. So i don't know how you guys will like this idea but I might as well throw it out there!

I actually think this is a great idea. I can't imagine anyone on here being strictly a Hockey fan. An "Other Sports" or "Off Topic" forum would be very interesting.

i agree,, i'm a big baseball buff of course i'd talk jays with gsg ,, i think FF is the one who is wrong on this one

Pasty
MSC Posted - 06/20/2008 : 09:00:06
quote:

99pickles Posted - 06/19/2008 : 18:59:54
I remember when the post totals were too low so they raised them in response to general opinion. I think I like them where they are - I want it to be next to impossible to achieve...just like making the HHoF.

As for the avatar concern, I suppose it would be nice to change the current system. However, as an avatar-less member I'm obviously not too concerned about it.

The rest of it I don't care about - like someone said, it's the quality not the quantity. Some people you look at and know that their gajillion posts are mostly verbal diarrhea, and then some you look at a post and go, "Wow - what a genious! Why doesn't that Pickle guy post more often?"
Keith Posted - 06/19/2008 : 17:53:30
I'm indifferent about most of it, I can see why Alex would want his ideas they are good ones, but put it this way, I wouldn't cry if I didn't get them and as he said, neither would he.

Two things do stand out though.

Number one, upload avatars. Seriously, isn't that just so much easier than bending over bawkwards for every person who wants their custom avatar? Just let us deal with it ourselves and keep the peace! I'm sure the technology can't be too hard.

Number two, post rank. Listen, it's not the biggest deal in the world obviously, but BTBD is right, I mean, if you're going to do it, might as well do it right! Don't tease us with goals we'll never get in a billion years and a day.

Either get rid of the whole thing or make it worthwhile. Please and thanks.

K.B.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 06/19/2008 : 17:52:38
Your a nutcase. I said that I didn't know if people would respect it but you could of just put " Sorry GSG i don't like this one" but instead you call me out and say I'm a retard. You did the same thing to Pasty in the Alex Blog thread. You want to be respected around here and not hated by putting other people down. So what are you getting out of the forums if your just going to post by insulting someone.
FranzenFanatic Posted - 06/19/2008 : 16:00:04
quote:

Geez louise, you guys get on my case for speaking my mind, but how can anyone be polite when we get morons giving retarded ideas like this? Other sports on a hockey site? What's the point of that?

OK so I'm not Mr. Polite, what do you wanna do about it? This idea is terrible.
Gostarsgo12 Posted - 06/19/2008 : 15:39:56
MardiGras Posted - 06/19/2008 : 10:00:20
I don't care about post count for myself because I will likely never become anything great and i dont rlly deserve to, BUT

think about someone like beans. clearly he is legend around here, don't you think he should be able to show that? he has around 2500 posts, all of which i can bet were great hockey knowledge posts, and he's only gonna be a ''veteran''?

people like this are great examples of why the ranks dont make sense.

which brings me to my next point, i think mods also deserve a post rank beside them, it should say 'moderator, veteran' or whatever
Pasty7 Posted - 06/19/2008 : 09:49:05
quote:
Originally posted by willus3

I don't understand the concern with post count and rankings. I couldn't care less about your post count. I want to hear what you have to say. It's been mentioned many times in the past. It's about the quality of the post.
You probably have twice as many posts as I. Does that mean something to you? It doesn't to me. Does having a higher post count make what you have to say mean more in some way?

look at me i ve been a memeber a long enough time and im pretty impressed im at the 400 post mark,,, its not career home runs that counts, its the home runs you hit when it counts!

Pasty
BradTheBadDad Posted - 06/19/2008 : 09:48:54
Alex's suggestions are pretty good ones, nothing major, good for the most part. I do not like the rating system at all (his third suggestion), only because people will start to rate instead of respond with an actual post so I don't like it.

But I will say this. Many people stand divided over post rankings, but right now the system doesn't work at all. The way I see it, we have two options.

1) If you do choose to have rankings, do us all a favour and make them achievable. I agree there should be some extraordinary degree of comitment to the website to reach the Legend rank for example, but expecting 13 years of service as Alex pointed out is way off the wall.

-OR OPTION TWO-

2) Forget the rankings all together.

I would choose the first option. I like rankings, I think they add a little bit to the website. That being said, they should be achievable but a challenge. Cut back the post requirement by 30 percent for each category as such:

Rookie: 350
Pro: 700
Veteran: 1750
All-Star: 3500
Legend: 7000

IMO this balance is perfect (actually it could still be a little lower, but I think the concensus amongst the guys in charge is the higher the better so this is a fair compromise). Anyone who posts garbage because they want to inflate their post count would surely tire out before 7000. As it is most people who post a lot post like 15 things in one day and we never here from them again. Meanwhile, those who are truly comitted would be able to reach the top milestone. The ''Legend'' category would be only for those who deserve it.

In site history no one has been able to even hit 5000 or 6000 I don't think. Admin you have to agree that the Member Rank numbers are WAY to high.

Please think about it!

''Eat. Sleep. Hockey''
willus3 Posted - 06/19/2008 : 09:26:48
I don't understand the concern with post count and rankings. I couldn't care less about your post count. I want to hear what you have to say. It's been mentioned many times in the past. It's about the quality of the post.
You probably have twice as many posts as I. Does that mean something to you? It doesn't to me. Does having a higher post count make what you have to say mean more in some way?

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page