Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Randy Steinman
 Winning your Stanley Cup Playoff Pool

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
admin Posted - 04/05/2009 : 01:12:38
With the NHL regular season winding down and the Stanley Cup playoffs just a slapshot away, fantasy hockey players are revving up for their playoff pools.

Unlike regular season pools where the scoring points amassed by players are the main concern, participants in playoff pools must look deeper into their crystal balls. Fantasy players should make round-by-round predictions. The goal is to decide what teams are going to last the longest in the playoffs. Then it is time to decide what players are going to do the scoring for those teams. Here are some hints on selecting players in a Stanley Cup pool:

1. Select your winning teams for every round right through to the finals. Stock up on players from the two teams you think will meet in the Stanley Cup finals. Naturally these teams are going to play more games than teams eliminated in the first or second round. Detroit and Pittsburgh met in the 2007-08 finals. Combined, they produced seven of the top ten and 12 of the top 20 playoff scorers.

The top 24 playoff scorers last season came from the NHL's "final four"- Detroit, Pittsburgh, Dallas and Philadelphia. The latter two teams were eliminated in the conference finals. Consider filling some of your roster with players from teams that you figure will lose in the conference finals.

2. Never pick players from teams that play each other in the first round. No matter how many stars and high scorers you pick- you are automatically losing players from the team that gets beat out.

3. It helps if you pick a "sleeper". This is a player that almost unexpectedly gives a great performance. You get an edge as most entrants in your pool might not have this player. Chris Kontos and John Druce are two classic examples of Stanley Cup "sleepers".
Kontos scored 9 goals in 11 games for Los Angeles Kings in the 1988-89 playoffs after scoring two goals in seven games in the regular season.

In 1989-90, John Druce of the Washington Capitals scored 8 goals and 11 points in 45 regular season games before going on a tear in the playoffs that saw him score 14 goals and 17 points in 15 games.

Detroit's Johan Franzen was the closest thing to a "sleeper" in the 2007-08 Stanley Cup playoffs. Franzen, a 38-point scorer in the regular season, scored 13 goals and 18 points in 16 playoff games. He definately produced for fantasy players who picked him in last year's Stanley Cup pools.

Good luck in your Stanley Cup pools!

Be sure to visit Fantasy Hockey Journal (www.fantasyhockeyjournal.com)- All your tools for your hockey pools.

Get your Playoff Fantasy Guide for only at http://www.pickuphockey.com/hp/hp_fantasyguide.aspx
Have an opinion on Steinman's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin@pickuphockey.com
PickupHockey.com and the owners of PickupHockey.com do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed on its website of the volunteer writers. The opinions expressed here in this and other posts are solely the opinions of the writers.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest6637 Posted - 04/09/2009 : 22:49:54
Happy 11th birthday Guest8424!!!
Guest8424 Posted - 04/09/2009 : 10:56:03
no kidding..i've know this since i was ten..

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page