Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... International Hockey
 Team Sweden (2010 Olympics)

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
irvine Posted - 12/27/2009 : 19:48:29
Earlier today, Team Sweden of the 2010 Winter Olympics released their Official Team Roster (Players can still be substituted until February, however.)

The Roster looks like this:

Goaltenders:
Henrik Lundqvist, Jonas Gustavsson & Stefan Liv.

Defence:
Tobias Enstrom, Magnus Johansson, Niklas Kronwall, Nicklas Lidstrom, Douglas Murray, Johnny Oduya, Mattias Ohlund & Henrik Tallinder.

Forwards:
Daniel Alfredsson, Nicklas Backstrom, Loui Eriksson, Peter Forsberg, Tomas Holmstrom, Patric Hornqvist, Fredrik Modin, Samuel Pahlsson, Daniel Sedin, Henrik Sedin, Mattias Weinhandl & Henrik Zetterberg.

Looking at this roster, are you surprised by anything? If so, what?

Who would you have on your roster, who would you have removed and why?

Irvine/prez.
20   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
n/a Posted - 01/02/2010 : 05:02:19
Oh, great, just what we all needed: More Forsberg injury updates! (rolls eyes)

First it was a bruised thigh . . . then he had his spleen removed . . .then a bursa sac was removed from his foot . . . then he had a groin injury . . . then the skate didn't fit the fbecause of an abnormal arch and he later had foot surgery . . . then the foot never got right, and he retired again . . . now he has bruised ribs . . . what next, sportsfans?

Wait - don't tell me, just make him play!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
irvine Posted - 01/01/2010 : 20:22:09
Just a little Forsberg update for any one interested.

Peter Forsberg is currently sidelined from play with his current pro club Modo, of the Swedish Elite League.

Forsberg, who has played just 9 games (8 goals, 7 assists, 15 total points) is out week-to-week with a rib injury.

Although not a plagued injury of the past, he is showing he's still very prone to injury. Hopefully, not of the serious kind that will not see him at the Olympics.

--

His counter-part, Markus Naslund, also playing for MODO of the SEL (Elitserien), has just 1 goal but 9 assists in 9 games played. He will not see action in the 2010 Olympics though.

--

A young stud from Norway, who as mentioned in a previous post of mine a few days ago sees twenty-two year old Modo teammate Mats Zuccarello Aasen leading the hockey club with 14 goals & 23 assists for 37 total points in 33 games played. Which is 13 points over Per-Age Skroder (Norway) and 2nd in Modo scoring.

Team Norway is my bottom feeder this year, who I believe will surpass the likes of Austria, Germany & Switzerland. With Belarus the only 'bottom feeder' team I see giving them a go. (Based on the bottom 5 teams.)

This update brought you by the letter F, for Forsberg. :P

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 01/01/2010 : 13:07:20
I too am quite surprised to see A. Edler is not on the Swedish team. CanucksMan and i prob sound like homers, but he's a pretty good young defenseman. I'd have seen him on this team over guys like Johansson and Tallinder, however i'll admit, i haven't seen them play a lot?
irvine Posted - 12/31/2009 : 12:02:06
Although not Swedish, this kid does play in the Swedish Elite League.

Keep an eye on Norway's Mats Zuccarello Aasen. This kid is GOOD.

I suspect he will be Norways top offensive-forward, leading the team in points. He's twenty-two years of age and an excellent young player. I look forward to seeing what he can do.

Irvine/prez.
Alex116 Posted - 12/31/2009 : 10:58:45
Well, if nothing else, we know now that on attitude alone, Modin's the better choice!

These two are somewhat interchangeable in my view and it looks as though they picked the right one. I think both these guys need some skill around them to bring out their game. They're not the kind of guys to lead a line but can complement one as good as most.
Beans15 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 21:29:29
I stand corrected. I was looking at the 2004 WHC stats and found the 8 points, which would have tied him for 4th in the Olympics.

Regardless, I still like Modin over Samulsson. I've just never been impressed with his game.
Alex116 Posted - 12/30/2009 : 11:27:36
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I see Sweden very differently. They really don't have any small forwards. They are all pretty big and with the smallest guy being 6' tall and the lightest guy at 185. Average is 6'1" and 200 lbs. They all play pretty big and I don't think space is going to be an issue.

Modin is bigger (6'4"-223 lbs) than Samuelsson (6'2"-215lbs) and I also think plays stronger. Let's not forget that Modin tied for 4th in scoring at the last Olympics and has 2 Golds in the past 3 games.

Maybe it's just me. I'd rather go to war with a warrior who has already battled and won the biggest war over a guy who hasn't fought in a big one.

More than anything else, the attitude tell me that the dead right decision was to leave that selfish kind of attitude at home. Rather than saying he was disappointed but ready to go if they needed him, he has totally alienated himself from his countries hockey program for his entire career.

I would rather go in a player short than go in with a guy that's more about him than the team.

Samuelsson was in fact on the Swedish team in Turin. Therefore, he has won the big war, if that's the one you're referring to? Assuming it is, cuz we all know he's won the cup in the past! Not sure where you can find the stats, but i think Samuelsson finished with more points than Modin as well? Where'd you find stats to say Modin was tied for 4th at the last olympics Beans? Here's what i found on good ol' Wikipedia:

Rank Player Games played Goals Assists Pts PIM +/- Shots
1 Teemu Selänne 8 6 5 11 4 +7 28
2 Saku Koivu 8 3 8 11 12 +5 16
3 Daniel Alfredsson 8 5 5 10 4 +2 15
3 Marián Hossa 6 5 5 10 4 +9 19
5 Ville Peltonen 8 4 5 9 6 +4 22
6 Olli Jokinen 8 6 2 8 2 +5 28
7 Jere Lehtinen 8 3 5 8 0 +6 22
7 Mats Sundin 8 3 5 8 4 +1 27
9 Martin Straka 8 2 6 8 6 +4 17
10 Pavel Datsyuk 8 1 7 8 10 +5 13

Wiki chart didn't copy well so i put their points in BOLD I don't see Modin anywhere on here but can't find the entire Sweden team stats?

Regardless, his comments were totally classless and he'll likely regret them when one or two guys go down with injury. Not to mention, these rosters aren't set in stone as far as i know? Pretty sure if a guy slumps badly, he can be swapped for a different guy. Doesn't just include injury replacements.
Beans15 Posted - 12/29/2009 : 12:54:31
Ya, like about 15 Canadians will have a right to be pissed in about 48 hours. But do you think that a single one of them will tell Stevie Y or Hockey Canada to go &*^% themselves?? Nope.

It's a personal thing now. I agree that on skates the guy has chops. Should he be there?? Maybe. But let's not put the guy on the podeum. He's role player as you said. He's got a right to be pissy, maybe. But to say those things. Classless. I would rather lose with a player with the right attitude than have a guy like this on the squad.

Sweden is no better with him on the team over Modin or Holmstrom, or the likes.
n/a Posted - 12/29/2009 : 08:29:43
Beans - I agree with your points about Modin's international play and his size (plus, I remember he has a booming shot from the point). Too bad he never uses his body to check, and too bad his booming shot almost always misses the net.

Samuelsson has been no slouch either, and has been on a championship hockey squad on Detroit, playing a key role there as a pesky, physical presence who can also help with the offence when called upon.

Don't you think Samuelsson winning the cup with Detroit is winning "the biggest war"?

At any rate, like I said earlier, it was foolish and unprofessional for him to make the public statement about team Sweden . . . but here you have a valuable role player - a role that Sweden currently doesn't have anyone for - and he's been on championship teams, won the cup, and is the teammate of two others on the team.

Considering Samuelsson's strong play so far as I can see this year . . . why would he not be on team Sweden? All I am saying is, he has a full right to be pissed.

Beans15 Posted - 12/28/2009 : 17:23:29
I see Sweden very differently. They really don't have any small forwards. They are all pretty big and with the smallest guy being 6' tall and the lightest guy at 185. Average is 6'1" and 200 lbs. They all play pretty big and I don't think space is going to be an issue.

Modin is bigger (6'4"-223 lbs) than Samuelsson (6'2"-215lbs) and I also think plays stronger. Let's not forget that Modin tied for 4th in scoring at the last Olympics and has 2 Golds in the past 3 games.

Maybe it's just me. I'd rather go to war with a warrior who has already battled and won the biggest war over a guy who hasn't fought in a big one.

More than anything else, the attitude tell me that the dead right decision was to leave that selfish kind of attitude at home. Rather than saying he was disappointed but ready to go if they needed him, he has totally alienated himself from his countries hockey program for his entire career.

I would rather go in a player short than go in with a guy that's more about him than the team.
n/a Posted - 12/28/2009 : 17:08:01
Good point about Franzen, should have remembered him seeing as he has killed me in two hockey pools . . . certainly, he'd have to be the first guy to fill in you'd think, if he comes out of his injury playing even half decently.

Alfredsson would have to be carried off on a stretcher to not play, he is one of very few Sens I have respect for in terms of toughness and grit. But you're right, Tiller - Forsberg, Modin, Zetterberg, all question marks, with obviously Foppa being the biggest one.

Samuelsson's got a reason to be a bit upset I reckon, IMHO. He's a big power forward having a good start to the season (already has 10g, 14a) and is exactly the kind of sandpaper the Wings always needed alongside their skill . . . and the Swedes need it just as badly. The Sedin twins, Backstrom . . . they would benefit from a big body making space for their playmaking skills. Well, obviously he's not getting on the team now, and as others have intimated, not very professional behaviour . . . still, it shows that he really cares about the national team.

Anyways, to my sandpaper point - you don't want an ailing and aging Alfredsson and Foppa, and a diminished Holmstrom, to be your team toughness. You'll need a lot more than that to fight through the forechecking of Canada, the US and even Russia with all of their big power forwards and gritty players.

They need a healthy Franzen, and in my opinion, could have used a Samuelsson. I think it's a fair point that he should have been on the team ahead of a guy like Modin, especially since they have enough centers already.

Beans15 Posted - 12/28/2009 : 16:54:25
I'd go with Modin well before Samuelsson. Modin is highley decorated in International competition as well as a Cup winner. Sure, he's beem injured, but I think he is being brought along to be a leader and a 3rd/4th line guy. There are enough young guys on this team to need a Modin there.

Tiller33 Posted - 12/28/2009 : 16:45:12
Wouldn't say I'm surprised by the omission of Franzen with his knee injury, but if thats the logic why is Modin on the team he played his first game of the season last week, including him is kinda risky in my opinion.

I wouldn't be surprised if Franzen ends up being in Vancouver because this team has a number of band-aids who might need to be replaced before Feburary (Forsberg, Modin, Zetterberg, Alfredsson, D. Sedin).
Alex116 Posted - 12/28/2009 : 16:20:57
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Is anyone else surprised by Mikael Samuelsson's comments?? (He told Swedish Hockey they have go ^&%$ themselves). Apparently, he thinks he is a world class player all of a sudden??? I mean please. He's a career 40 point a season player and should not be pissy about not getting named.

Huselius is a better offensive talent and he too was left off the team.

The Forsberg thing is always a wait and see thing. He's got 6 weeks to find any kind of form. On talent alone, the guy is still elite. However, not sure what will happen if a guy like Pronger decided to make a quick introduction between Foppa and the boards. Might lose another speen.

I was shocked when i read Samuelsson's comments! Didn't think he was the kind of guy to have that attitude? Maybe his frustrations with his recent poor play here in Vancouver played into it? Either way, he's not gonna be playing regardless now!
Beans15 Posted - 12/28/2009 : 11:50:38
Is anyone else surprised by Mikael Samuelsson's comments?? (He told Swedish Hockey they have go ^&%$ themselves). Apparently, he thinks he is a world class player all of a sudden??? I mean please. He's a career 40 point a season player and should not be pissy about not getting named.

Huselius is a better offensive talent and he too was left off the team.

The Forsberg thing is always a wait and see thing. He's got 6 weeks to find any kind of form. On talent alone, the guy is still elite. However, not sure what will happen if a guy like Pronger decided to make a quick introduction between Foppa and the boards. Might lose another speen.

n/a Posted - 12/28/2009 : 11:26:48
Potentially world class goaltending (Lundqvist), and I expect him to be in form personally.

Very solid D, maybe only second to Canada's. I still give Canada an edge on defence because of the overall skill/shut-down value, but the Swedes can certainly play with us here.

The forwards . . . now there is a discussion.
Personally, I don't see Forsberg coming back to play in the Olympics and being anywhere close to what he was. As many comebacks as he's had, and as great a player he was, I just don't see it. I see Alfredsson as the leader on this team . . . and alongside the Sedin Twins, Backstrom, Zetterberg, Holmstrom and young Eriksson (who is proving that last year was no fluke), they have a very good offensive squad. Hmm, let's put together some imaginary lines then, shall we?

D.Sedin - H.Sedin - Alfredsson
Zetterberg - Backstrom - Holmstrom
Modin - Forsberg - Eriksson
Hornqvist - Pahlsson - Weinhandl

That's a very solid bunch of forwards, actually . . . putting it down on paper and looking it through, Sweden looks more like a threat to Canada than before.

We will have to be physical, and hope that Forsberg can't play like his old self for a short tournament . . . otherwise, there could be trouble here!

irvine Posted - 12/27/2009 : 20:16:27
I will admit, this team is pretty well balanced. They could use a stronger back-up goaltender, though i'd not be surprised if Stefan Liv gets the back up nod and Gustavsson is in the press box.

Liv may be the true backup for Sweden here.

Irvine/prez.
Canucks Man Posted - 12/27/2009 : 20:12:21
Forsberg is currently injured, a few days ago he cracked 3 ribs in a game. No real surprises, I did think Alex Edler would make the team, but other than that nothing.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Leafs81 Posted - 12/27/2009 : 20:08:10
Yeah Sweden are the team to beat. Well balance with a great goalie. But for sweden injuries could be a big factor. Forsberg (not sure), Zetterberg, Kronwall and Alfredson are all curently injured.

Russia powerplay will be their key.

And for the Americans you never know what a hot goalie like Miller can do. (look at Hasek in 98)

Those 3 teams are scary.
Beans15 Posted - 12/27/2009 : 19:59:55
Nothing was really surprising. It was pretty much the most cut and dry group of any country. Mostly because I don't have a clue other than Forsberg who is playing in the Swedish Elite League.

This team to me is the most balanced along with the Canadian team, who ever may be on it. There is no real holes anywhere in the roster. Possibly could be the best puck moving defensive core in the Games. There may be a lack of size, but there is enough speed and skill on this squad to gain the 3rd Gold Medal in the past 6 Games.

That being said, the other gap I see is the Sweds are a Lundqvist injury away from out of the medal. Gustovsson just doesn't have the stank to win a Gold Medal as a starter.

Personally, I put this line up ahead of Russia. Better team sqaud, significantly better back end, and only a 1/2 step behind in offense. I'm calling Sweden in the Gold Medal game. Forsberg will be the difference maker to get them there.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page