Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Overrated or fluke? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  15:10:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I was certain at the beginning of the year Calgary was going to be in the top 4 of the West this year; now it seems they are not even going to make the playoffs was this because their players were overrated or was this year a Fluke?

Choices:

Overrated (explain why)
Fluke (explain why)

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  15:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am saying they were overrated because their is no depth past Iginla Bowmeester and Phaneuf(who got traded) also Bowmeester has been overrated in past years and always has slow starts.
Go to Top of Page

impropriety
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  15:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Put me down for overrated. Biggest reason has to be lack of secondary scoring.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  15:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
overrated.

1. huge lack of secondary scoring on the forward line. After Iginla and Bourque, there is not much there to be a threat. Most teams have a pretty easy time defending a single line team, most nights. We'll see how the addition of all those Leafs do, and what they'll do in the offseason to rectify that.

2. good defensive depth, but not enough O on the defense. I think Calgary has one of the best top-4 dmen groups in the NHL, and they are all punishing hard hitting defencemen. However, in today's NHL, you need to have scoring dmen as well, and they just don't have it. Giordano has had a bit of a breakout year, but I think they expected far more offense from Bouwemeester.

The only normal thing this year for Calgary has been Kipper - he has looked stellar nearly all season long.

But as a long time Canucks fan, I know how far a defensively deep team with little offense will get you. Not very.
Go to Top of Page

Nucks07
Top Prospect

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2010 :  15:50:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted overrated...Everyone was talking about there D at the start of the year hows its gonna be the best in the league even though they are 5th in the league in GAA i think they are overrated... Also like someone said there secondary scoring which they have tried to solve now but I guess with Iginla having a off year they might need more help later.
Go to Top of Page

nux-suk
Top Prospect

41 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  14:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluke (go figure from me)
Reasons being :
Jokinen Sucked - Fluke?
Bouwmeester cant find offence -FLUKE
Phaneuf screwed someones wife - Fluke/Ooops got caught
Iggy looks lost - Fluke

Go to Top of Page

Guest0935
( )

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  14:12:47  Reply with Quote
Overrated. They kept Jokinen instead of Cammalleri and that was a big mistake.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2010 :  17:45:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now, I was one of the most vocal at the start of the year that Calgary would not do as well as people said. However, they are not that bad of a team either.

Here is the issue with Calgary. Back end out, they are as deep or deeper than any team in the NHL. I would put a goalie and defensive core of Kipprusoff, Regher, Giordano, Bouwmeester, White, Sarish,and Staios against any other group in the league.

The problem is, scoring by committee NEVER works. The question at the start of the year was who was going to replace Cammalleri's 40 goals and they Calgary masses came up with an entire group of players that were going to step up and compensate.

The numbers prove that those goals were not replaced. Calgary is on pace for 206 goals for this season, 48 goals less than last year. However, the defense has also stepped up as well. Last season, Calgary had 248 goals against. They are on pace for 53 less than last year.

But,the bottom line is winning. Obviously, Calgary has not done that as well. They are on pace for 41 wins and 93 points. If that happens, they may squeak in at 8th. But it that's 5 points and 4 positions in the standings off from where they were last year.

Bottom line, scoring by committee doesn't work and if Iginla is not playing well, Calgary does not win.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2010 :  12:09:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to have to say Flames fans are going to see more of the same this season.

No scoring depth....none.

I don't know a Calgary fan that is happy to see Jokinen back. Also they will not have Phaneuf at all this season so we'll see how that goes. The Sutter reign will be over by the end of the 2010-2011 season or perhaps even mid-season.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page

hockeyrocks101
Top Prospect

Canada
43 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  17:40:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say overrated because the flames dont have any point getters besides Iginla. Look at the teams that have success..... they have more players that can rack up points than Calgary.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page