Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Montreal
 Who gets the start tomorrow night? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  09:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is in reference to the Habs/Leafs game. Do the Habs start Halak or Price? (This based on everything goes wrong for the Habs and the Rangers win tonight, and putting the Habs in the must win scenario basically.)

Halak has let in 7 goals in last 2 game, and hasn't been sharp as of late. Nonetheless, he is the goalie the Habs planned to ride into the playoffs.

I personally like Price better and always have, hate Halak. Price does however have some of the worst luck I've seen this season and just can't buy a win. If he loses the game and the Habs don't make the playoffs can you imagine what the fools will say?

I start Price.

Who do you think gets the start?

Edited by - Axey on 04/09/2010 11:32:22

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  15:11:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a doubt in my mind that it's Halak's game unless they clinch before Sat night in which case they'd maybe consider giving him the night off?

Ironically, was it not the Leafs who ruined the Habs playoff plans a couple years ago with a spoiling win on the last night of the season? They might just get a chance to do it again! Montreal can't seem to beat the Carolina's, Islanders, etc.....
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2010 :  18:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I start Price.

Probably just as well you're not coaching the Habs then

As an (unbiased) observer of the Habs, I'm not sure how you can like Price more than Halak as a goalie. I followed them both closer than usual this year due to hockey pool use of both, and Halak has been better all year. Letting in 7 goals over the last 2 games is a statistical blip in an otherwise very good season for Halak. 26 wins, a very good .926 SV% and 2.36 GAA, on a team that has not exactly lit it up offensively. I recall many of his games where he faced 40+ shots and won games that the Habs had no business winning.

You know, if you have "bad luck" often enough, you have to wonder whether or not its really bad luck... I personally like Price as well, but Halak has really established himself this year as a very solid goaltending option. Sometimes thats the way it goes with goalies - Kipper, Rinne, Nittymaki, Bryzgalov, Hiller all had backup roles and suddenly established themselves over a couple of years as legitimate #1's (I'm pushing that with Nitty I guess, but you get my drift).

I don't think that they can keep both and have them both happy, which means that they have a big decision to make this summer. If I were Gainey, I think I'd try to keep Halak and trade Price.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  23:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]Originally posted by nuxfan[/i]
[br]
quote:
I start Price.

Probably just as well you're not coaching the Habs then

As an (unbiased) observer of the Habs, I'm not sure how you can like Price more than Halak as a goalie. I followed them both closer than usual this year due to hockey pool use of both, and Halak has been better all year. Letting in 7 goals over the last 2 games is a statistical blip in an otherwise very good season for Halak. 26 wins, a very good .926 SV% and 2.36 GAA, on a team that has not exactly lit it up offensively. I recall many of his games where he faced 40+ shots and won games that the Habs had no business winning.

You know, if you have "bad luck" often enough, you have to wonder whether or not its really bad luck... I personally like Price as well, but Halak has really established himself this year as a very solid goaltending option. Sometimes thats the way it goes with goalies - Kipper, Rinne, Nittymaki, Bryzgalov, Hiller all had backup roles and suddenly established themselves over a couple of years as legitimate #1's (I'm pushing that with Nitty I guess, but you get my drift).

I don't think that they can keep both and have them both happy, which means that they have a big decision to make this summer. If I were Gainey, I think I'd try to keep Halak and trade Price.

Just as well you're not coaching the Habd then

Sure we clinched a playoff spot? But jeeze we had almost 2 weeks to clinch it. The only thing you have seen in regards to Montreal goalies all year is TSN highlights, you have not seen 82 games like I have. Sure Halak may have gotten more wins, but Price didn't play bad at all. Not even marginally bad, the only questionable game was the one against Vancouver.

If PG trades Price he is a moron, the potential with this kid is insane and honestly Halak is not going to get better.

Now compare the LEGIT teams Halak has faced vs the LEGIT teams Price has faced all year, than you can compare goalies. Price doesn't play for 3 weeks than they feel its OK to throw him in vs Washington? Come on, he gets the win STILL but honestly if he doesn't the crowd gives him hell and demands he is gone while not even the best goalies stand a chance against that offense. Halak gets all of the easy games and people call the guy a god.

Now who starts the playoffs? Halak has let in 11 goals in 3 games ... and alot of the goals were savable. Honestly I would have rathered Halak lose tonight and the Habs get eliminated so they won't make the mistake of getting rid of Price.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  01:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halak will get the start in game one and will be the consensus #1 for the playoffs unless Halak ***** the bed.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  19:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Halak got the start, but didn't play overly well. He got them the 1 point needed to make the show, but he'll need to step up his game.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

MrBoogedy
Rookie

Canada
195 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  21:20:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as goal support goes, the habs score more when Halak is in net. 1.28 goal differential for Price as opposed to 1.68 for Halak. That accounts for his wins, but i also think the team prefers to play in front of him, rather than Price. Price will be a great goalie, just not in a hockey city like Montreal, sent him off to nashville and he will shine without all of the limelight, where he can make a mistake without getting his head ripped off.
As far as Halak goes, he rocks and he's going to help take down the caps.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  11:07:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The only thing you have seen in regards to Montreal goalies all year is TSN highlights, you have not seen 82 games like I have. Sure Halak may have gotten more wins, but Price didn't play bad at all. Not even marginally bad, the only questionable game was the one against Vancouver

I don't see too many MTL games, but certainly more than just when the Canucks play them (I go out of my way to find them on Saturday nights cause I hate having to watch the leafs). Plus, as I said, I was rotating both of them in and out of 2 different hockey pools this year, so I do know more about them than the avg westcoast hockey fan. I think Halak has played better than Price this year, plain and simple. Whenever I see Price play, he looks listless and slow, like his reflexes aren't there or he's tired or something. Might be his style I guess...

quote:
If PG trades Price he is a moron, the potential with this kid is insane and honestly Halak is not going to get better.

Not going to get better than what? In 45 games this year he was 26-13, 2.40 GAA and a 924 SV%. Extrapolate that out to a full season and he's probably in contention for the Vezina. Price has all kind of POTENTIAL, agreed. But Halak is actually DELIVERING. If you can lock him up for 3m/year or something like that, he'd be a fool not to.

You are right though, Price does have potential - if the two goalies can get along together it would be a good idea for the Canadians to keep both. Ideally they could get both of them locked up for a combined 5-6m per year. But no doubt that the starting job is Halak's to lose next year in that situation.

quote:
As far as goal support goes, the habs score more when Halak is in net. 1.28 goal differential for Price as opposed to 1.68 for Halak. That accounts for his wins, but i also think the team prefers to play in front of him, rather than Price. Price will be a great goalie, just not in a hockey city like Montreal, sent him off to nashville and he will shine without all of the limelight, where he can make a mistake without getting his head ripped off.
As far as Halak goes, he rocks and he's going to help take down the caps.

Boogedy, I think so too. Goal support shows a great deal about the level of confidence that the rest of the team has in the goalie, and the fact that Halak is that much higher that Price is telling.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0924
( )

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  19:13:53  Reply with Quote
k listen, screw the washington f***in caps...we r gonna merk them so haard in the first round, so please dont listen to freakin tsn who say were gonna get swept. Watch the series on RDS where they actually go for the habs soo i have 3 words to say

GO HABS GO!
Go to Top of Page

Guest0924
( )

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  19:14:36  Reply with Quote
k listen, screw the washington f***in caps...we r gonna merk them so haard in the first round, so please dont listen to freakin tsn who say were gonna get swept. Watch the series on RDS where they actually go for the habs soo i have 3 words to say

GO HABS GO!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page