Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... San Jose
 The Yearly Playoff Meltdown in San Jose Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  21:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After watching the third period and o/t in a most memorable win by Colorado where they won without scoring themselves (Boyle own goal from a very sharp angle on Nabakov), and where Anderson made 51 saves and stood on his head, I have to wonder: Will San Jose blow an amazing regular season all to bits again?

Give me your thoughts on how far they make it after this devastating loss, and who you pin the blame on . . . coaching? Thornton? Nabakov? Heatley? Everyone?

Also . . . hands up anyone who picked Colorado players in a playoff pool!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Edited by - willus3 on 04/20/2010 15:25:54

Nucks07
Top Prospect

Canada
45 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  22:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya that was for sure a game to remember.. I have a feeling the sharks are playoff cursed, even though most of the problems are there fault.

I think there out this round, that own goal in o.t. by boyle probably took the wind out of the sails for the sharks. Most of the blame I think for me is on Nabakov, ever since the olympics he's been less than average. I know for game 3 he didnt let a Colorado player score on him but the other 2 games he wasnt that great.

I didnt take any colorodo players thats for sure but I also only took one SJ player cause I dont trust them in the playoffs.

Loving these playoffs so far so many close series and overtime games
Go to Top of Page

bounty2k3
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  23:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am no way a sharks supporter, as you may well see lol. But this was not your typical Bryan McCabe own goal. Boyle tried to shoot it around his net and it deflected off of O'Reily's stick. The best angle to see it is from across the ice. You can see his stick shimmer as the puck hits it. Can't blame Nabby on this one. It was a great game for both goalies. I dont think this is going to be a melt down. Sharks take the next 3 games. Once LA is finished with Vancouver, they take out San Jose in the next round.

GO HAWKS GO!!!
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  01:12:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Schadenfreud (spelling?) has me wishing that the Sharks repeat their past playoff success (read: NONE) and have another early exit.

But then again, that would mean that the Avalanche advance and I can't bring myself to cheer for that franchise.

Best case scenario, both teams comes down with the measles and have to forfeit the series.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  05:45:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the clip of the "own goal" (it's disputed whether O'Reilly touches the puck or not after Boyle swipes at it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAQQyNw1lg

Bounty2K - question: If it had been a regular play where the Colorado player had been alone at the boards there and had taken a shot from there, would you still be making excuses for Nabakov?!?

I hope not.

It's an absolutely brutal angle for an own goal, and it's not like the goalie shouldn't have been ready - the Colorado player is in the vicinity and fighting for the puck. Nabakov may have the numbers in the regular season, but he shows us once again why he is not considered an elite goalie by many.

So, I blame Nabakov entirely for the goal to lose it. But I don't just blame him.

Why was San Jose even tied 0-0 and going into overtime in the first place? Isn't this one of the highest-powered offences in the league? Can't they get ONE goal?

Invisible players - Heatley and Thornton. Brutal, in fact . . . when Clowe and Pavelski are outchancing players of this calibre, you know something is wrong.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8332
( )

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:13:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Here is the clip of the "own goal" (it's disputed whether O'Reilly touches the puck or not after Boyle swipes at it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAQQyNw1lg

Bounty2K - question: If it had been a regular play where the Colorado player had been alone at the boards there and had taken a shot from there, would you still be making excuses for Nabakov?!?

I hope not.

It's an absolutely brutal angle for an own goal, and it's not like the goalie shouldn't have been ready - the Colorado player is in the vicinity and fighting for the puck. Nabakov may have the numbers in the regular season, but he shows us once again why he is not considered an elite goalie by many.

So, I blame Nabakov entirely for the goal to lose it. But I don't just blame him.

Why was San Jose even tied 0-0 and going into overtime in the first place? Isn't this one of the highest-powered offences in the league? Can't they get ONE goal?

Nabakov was the only reason the Sharks made it to OT. He wasn't tested often but he made some sick saves to keep the score 0-0.

SJ's offense threw everything including the kitchen sink at Anderson. Unfortunately SJ is again running into an incredibly hot goalie.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5903
( )

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:23:24  Reply with Quote
You're right, Heatley was invisible in that game...because he wasn't playing. Scratched due to an undisclosed injury.

Take Heatley out of the equation and you have the same old choketown Sharks. 51 scoreless shots and an own goal later, and here we are.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  07:58:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha, I totally missd the fact that Heatley was out, and was just about to correct that.

Guest 8832 - the shots for period two: 21 to 3 for the Sharks
For period three: 23 - 4 for the Sharks
Yes, Nabakov had to make one breakaway save, but really, that was about it . . . and he got damn lucky on that breakaway that it was just Galiardi and not a skilled player.

Sometimes, yes, a hot goalie can stymie you . . . but I found that a lot of these shots were of the harmless variety, from the perimeter and bad angles. It wasn't as dominating as the shot totals indicate, if you watched the game.

So no, I don't agree that Nabakov was the only reason they made it to O/T . . . I think the reason they made it to O/T was Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe, Setoguchi, Boyle.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slozo:
quote:

Invisible players - Heatley and Thornton. Brutal, in fact . . . when Clowe and Pavelski are outchancing players of this calibre, you know something is wrong.

Ya have to blame Nabby for the goal, but you have to feel a bit sorry as well. He was obviously not as ready as he should have been, but given that their best dman was in control of the puck and about to make a routine play around the end boards, I cut him some slack on it. And really, it squeaked through a very small hole - its not like Nabby was already on the other side of the net or anything. Technically Nabby's fault, but very unlucky as well.

However, if you saw the rest of the game or some of the highlights, you know that he was the reason they were in this game at all.
Some absolutely stellar saves at both ends of the ice.

quote:
Also . . . hands up anyone who picked Colorado players in a playoff pool!

No Colorado - but no SJ either. I won't pick another shark in a playoff pool until they have won at least one round. If they don't make it past the first round this year, I expect a shakeup of some sort in the offseason
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:53:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I picked a couple Av's with late picks and it may or may not pay off yet? While i don't count the Sharks out, they really must be frustrated!

IMO, Nabby HAS to take the blame on that goal. I don't care if he was the reason they were in that game at that point or not, it wasn't even thrown at the net with velocity! It was a fluttering puck with an arc to it!!! Just have to be more focussed than that at such a crucial point. Having said that, i feel bad for him, his team mates, his franchise and their fans. I just don't know how that team struggles so much at this time of year?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  09:54:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again - I watched more than half the game (as I was up trying to put my girl to sleep) and I really don't see al the love for Nabakov here . . . again, IMHO, not a lot of great saves at all actually.

Colorado had 17 shots on goal . . . how many of them did you think were quality scoring chances? I counted one from what I watched, maybe two.

I thought the best players on the ice (besides Anderson, of course) were the San Jose defence, they did an awesome job of clogging up the ice against the young speedy forwards from the Avs.

You cannot say that 17 shots on goal with below 5 quality scoring chances is a goaltending performance of note.

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the piece that is obviously missed from last night's game. That broken play against the boards results in a goal about 1 out of 1000 plays. Watch the replay and see that there was literally a space of about 4" off the post when the puck went in.

That was more like a 1 in a million shot.

Blame Nabokov?? C'mon. Blame Boyle for the shot at his goalie. Blame the Hockey God for simply not liking Sharks. Blame anyone. Not a chance can you blame Nabokov. That goal goes in on 95% of the goalies in the league today. Ultimately, had SJ done their job then the game would not have gone to OT anyway.

There are 2 reasons the Sharks are performing this way. Firstly, they've ran into the hottest goalie on the planet. I mean, 130 shots in 3 games from that SJS offense and only 7 pucks get through?? That's out of this world!!! Secondly, and more importantly, the best players on SJ are not performing (again). It shouldn't matter if a cinder block wall in built in the net, they need a find a way to score. No goals, no wins.

Tragic really. Colorado had no business getting to OT last night let alone winning that game. I think a SJ win last night would have turned the tide. Now, SJ is against the ropes once again. A COL win next game and start booking tee times.
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Here's the piece that is obviously missed from last night's game. That broken play against the boards results in a goal about 1 out of 1000 plays. Watch the replay and see that there was literally a space of about 4" off the post when the puck went in.

Blame Nabokov?? C'mon. Blame Boyle for the shot at his goalie. Blame the Hockey God for simply not liking Sharks. Blame anyone. Not a chance can you blame Nabokov. That goal goes in on 95% of the goalies in the league today. Ultimately, had SJ done their job then the game would not have gone to OT anyway.

There are 2 reasons the Sharks are performing this way. Firstly, they've ran into the hottest goalie on the planet. I mean, 130 shots in 3 games from that SJS offense and only 7 pucks get through?? That's out of this world!!! Secondly, and more importantly, the best players on SJ are not performing (again). It shouldn't matter if a cinder block wall in built in the net, they need a find a way to score. No goals, no wins.

Tragic really. Colorado had no business getting to OT last night let alone winning that game. I think a SJ win last night would have turned the tide. Now, SJ is against the ropes once again. A COL win next game and start booking tee times.

Summer it up real nice in the bolded paragraph. I knew Anderson was good, but this is down right unholy. Colorado has no business in these playoffs without Anderson.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8353
( )

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  10:46:37  Reply with Quote
Thorton is proving once again the true player that he is. There will be people that will say you can't blame him, but at some point he has to step up and LEAD his team.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beans, there is no question that the shot was lucky, I think most here will agree with that. It was a very small hole to get into and the puck found a way. 1 in a million? Probably. But when that 1 time happens, it's the fault of the goalie.

If you watch the replay, you can see Nabby ease up slightly when he sees Boyle is going to get the puck - he moves off the post and relaxes his stance a bit. That is what cost him the goal. If Nabby keeps hugging the post on that play, he makes a very heads-up (and seemingly routine) save to keep the game going.

Go to Top of Page

baumer
Top Prospect

82 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  11:49:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are taught from the age of 10 up to always hug the post. Nabokov came away from the post at the worst possible time. But the biggest question I have is why Doug Murray reversed the puck with O'Reilly so close? He had nothing but open ice in front of him and Colorado was only sending one forechecker. Boyle should have been more careful with the shoot around attempt but it was Murray that put him in the spot he was in. Either way Nabokov should have stopped it.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4728
( )

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:08:52  Reply with Quote
It for sure deflected off of O'Reilly, HNIC zoomed it in and showed how it deflected off the stick. As someone else has said, the reverse of Murray confused me cause first of all he had alot of space in front of him, secondly the reverse wasn't very strong for having someone on his tail.
Overall, very interesting.
Go to Top of Page

sharksfan44
Rookie

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:22:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
y do the hockey gods hate the sharks? jk, the sharks dont have anyone to blame but themselves. although ive really like the way we've played (even though we couldnt score if our lives depended on it). we've worked the cycle very well and other then game 1, we've done a good job using the point.

I still think the sharks will take this series, but we need to learn how to score. i mean anderson has been great, but we had chances that should have been in the net.
the sharks have missed 3 open nets in this series so far, seto in game 1, heatley in game 2 and marleau in game 3. i no anderson stopped marleaus shot but that shoulda been in.
man its tough to b a sharksfan right now
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:33:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The worst part was, before OT started, after the HNIC guys called their picks for OT winners, we each called who we thought would score in OT, and I called Galliardi and Boyle. To my chagrin, I was half right thanks to the Boyle/O'Reilly goal.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  12:36:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sharks certainly do need to improve their scoring ability, in this series. Anderson is playing HOT, and is a quality goaltender. But every goalie has a weakness, and SJ need to find that and exploit it.

For the Sharks sake, they best hope Heatley is back by next game... or they are done. They need Heatley's goal scoring, especially against Anderson.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  13:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Beans, there is no question that the shot was lucky, I think most here will agree with that. It was a very small hole to get into and the puck found a way. 1 in a million? Probably. But when that 1 time happens, it's the fault of the goalie.

If you watch the replay, you can see Nabby ease up slightly when he sees Boyle is going to get the puck - he moves off the post and relaxes his stance a bit. That is what cost him the goal. If Nabby keeps hugging the post on that play, he makes a very heads-up (and seemingly routine) save to keep the game going.

Are you kidding?? 100% of the goalies in this league play this EXACTLY how Nabokov did and they all get scored on in this case.

To Baumer, ya, when you are 10 you are told to hug the post and you also told Girls are the enemy and your Dad's a Ninja.

I agree completely on the Douglas Murray point. In fact, he has been scary bad through most of the series I have watched. Kinda like a fish out of water.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  16:21:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Are you kidding?? 100% of the goalies in this league play this EXACTLY how Nabokov did and they all get scored on in this case.

You may be used to that sort of shoddy goaltending in Edmonton , but not here in Vancouver. Its hard to find videos on "routine saves from behind the net", so I'll just say this - if you're watching a Canucks game, watch Luongo closely when the puck is coming into the zone - esp a loose one where the players are going to be close fighting for it and the puck is in front of the red line. He's extremely good at hugging the post and watching for errant pucks until the puck is safely behind him and/or in the hands of a dman on the way out of the zone. I can't say that he does it 100% of the time - like I say, hard to find video's on routine stuff - but certainly more often than not (probably due to him seeing so may deflections off his own guys in the past). I'm not necessarily pumping Luongo here either - he is just the goaltender that I see the most and notice doing the little things.

Nabby was cheating on his anticipated lateral move to the other post, and he got burned. It may have happened to other goalies - hey, it may have happened to Luongo. But if it did, we'd all be moaning that it was a lucky bounce but that Luongo should have been covering too.

Anyhoo, back to topic:
quote:
Give me your thoughts on how far they make it after this devastating loss, and who you pin the blame on . . . coaching? Thornton? Nabakov? Heatley? Everyone?

I think SJ is sunk - they have to feel pretty down about that last game, they really should have won it, and thats the sort of loss that can affect you going forward. I blame everyone not Nabokov. The goalie has done everything that he needs to to help this team win (excluding game 2, which was just One Of Those Games). Game 1, Nabby lets in 2 shots, game 3 he lets in 1 - that should be more than enough to allow SJ to win games.

It could be just unlucky that they've run into a hot goaltender at the wrong time, but if Colorado wins game 4, thats it.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  16:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have to blame the offense of San Jose, in my opinion.

The Defense has done their job, not allowing many shots on net. Nabakov has done his job, allowing no more than two goals per game... you can't ask for much better than that, really. He's giving them the chance.

But, the Sharks aren't scoring enough. Is it lack of offense, or 'greatness' of Anderson. Either way, it's up to the forwards to find ways to bury the puck. They have to find Anderson's weakness, exploit it, and win games.

They are not doing it. Thus, I blame the forwards.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  20:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
[br
You may be used to that sort of shoddy goaltending in Edmonton , but not here in Vancouver. Its hard to find videos on "routine saves from behind the net", so I'll just say this - if you're watching a Canucks game, watch Luongo closely when the puck is coming into the zone

I did a lot of that tonight.

Also watched Roberto the Great have the Staples Centre faithful chant him all the way to a comfy spot on the bench.

One could make a negative comment to every goalie on virutally every goal. Should have gone down into the butterfly. Should have stood up. Should have played the puck. Should have stayed in the net. Blah, blah, blah.

Could Nabokov stopped that shot with sound fundamentals?? Definately. But every goalie would stop every shot if they never made a mistake.

I never said that the play was right or that Nabokov did the right thing, but I don't think you can blame him for the play or the loss.

Edited by - Beans15 on 04/20/2010 12:29:25
Go to Top of Page

Guest4259
( )

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  21:38:22  Reply with Quote
san jose players are to afraid to go to greasy areas to get those playoff goals. This is why they are terrible in the playoffs not because the hockey gods are against them.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  23:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
One could make a negative comment to every goalie on virutally every goal. Should have gone down into the butterfly. Should have stood up. Should have played the puck. Should have stayed in the net. Blah, blah, blah.

Could Nabokov stopped that shot with sound fundamentals?? Definately. But every goalie would stop every shot if they never made a mistake.

I never said that the play was right or that Nabokov did the right thing, but I don't think you can blame him for the play or the loss.

I don't know Beans - by saying "if he'd done X that would not have been a goal", and X is a reasonable goalie play, you're sort of implying that if X is not done then the goal is his fault. I lay the blame at Nabby for that goal, he was not in the right position for the location of the puck or the evolution of the play. Had he done X (hugged the post and been alert), that puck probably doesn't go in.

As for the loss - I don't blame Nabby for the loss, he did all he should have had to do to allow SJ to win that game. An unfortunate mistake at a bad time and the game is over.

quote:
I did a lot of that tonight.

Also watched Robero the Great have the Staples Centre faithful chant him all the way to a comfy spot on the bench.

Yep, bad night for Lu - no real chance to see the little things. I'm thinking back to my poll on what will cause the early exit from the playoffs this year, I realize I forgot the option "can't kill a penalty". I still think the Canucks can win the series, but LA looked awfully good tonight.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  23:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still say it's a lack of concentration on Nabby's part that is to blame for the goal. It reminds me of Luongo vs Anaheim a few years ago when he was busy yelling at the ref in OT when the floater from the point went in for the win! Played great, got them that far, but lost concentration at a key time and it was game over!

It's kinda like when a dman swoops in in front of his goalie and sometimes you see the goalie put his stick, glove, pad, etc down to block just in case that guy loses possesion and it slips by. Often they don't go out of their way to protect from this as it's a one in a million thing, but that's kinda what we saw in Colorado the other night!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  00:15:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teammate or not, 1 in a 1 million odds or not, BE PREPARED!

When the puck crosses your blue line, you prepare for the shot. Even when the opposition has the puck possession, outside of your blue line... you prepare for a dump in that could be on net.

No matter who had the puck (Boyle or not), Nabakov needs to be ready, hugging his post tight, waiting for a shot on net. It's Nabakov & Boyle's fault. Boyle, for being so careless and Nabakov for not being prepared.

But it's over now. Time for them to suck it up, get over it, and prepare for the next game. They have to win it, or they are done.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  06:51:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totaly disagree with the contention that this "one in a million shot" goes in on any other goalie . . .

I submit it wouldn't have gone in against the top 50% of starting goalies in the league today, because positionally, they would always have that covered. Even when their own player has the puck, if that player is playing the puck near the net, they cover it - because they were taught to, because mistakes can and will happen. And Nabakov failed in this regard, and got caught with a very unfortunate puck that squeezed in.

Unfortunate, but totally his fault.

As to the other comments - there have been a lot of missed empty nets by SJ, and I seriously doubt Heatley will really help much as the next game is in Colorado again and they are coming off a huge and very lucky victory.

San Jose's only hope is that Anderson starts letting some shots in that he shouldn't.

My prediction is 5-2 Colorado tonight.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  08:21:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Beans' defense, and Beans, correct me if i'm wrong, i think when he said "100% of the goalies in this league play this EXACTLY how Nabokov did and they all get scored on in this case." he meant that it was a flukey goal that could happen to any goalie in a situation like this. It was a one in a million thing that could happen to anyone!

Let's face it, there's beer league goalies all over the world who "could" have or maybe "would" have stopped that shot but it's just one of those flukey things. I still lay most of the blame on Nabokov for it but it's one of those unfortunate things that does happen in the game, much like those pucks lofted in from center that take a funny bounce and find the mesh. Unfortunately for the Sharks, it was in OT of the playoffs. If this was a regular season game, Boyle's teammates would have been teasing him afterwards! Boyle prob would have said in an interview "Nabby shoulda stopped it" in his own teasing sort of way. Prob is, this is the freakin' Sharks in the playoffs, where, nothing, and i mean NOTHING, seems to go their way!

I agree with Irvine, they need to regroup really quickly and come out with their best effort in a long time or they'll find themselves looking at next season really quickly......
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  12:34:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As always, I must be the anti-Slozo. I think San Jose comes out tonight much like Washington did against Montreal. I say there will be a severe beating of the Avalanche and the score will be 4-0. Nabokov with a shut out.

To the previous point, maybe I have misrepresented myself. Nabokov could have should have would have and he is ultimately responsible, but the team in front of him shares equal or more of the blame. As I believe Slozo said, San Jose have missed a ton of open nets. Getting 50+ shots on ANY goalie should result in a win.

Not to flog a dead horse, take a look back at the replay of the Boyle own goal and tell me what Nabokov was doing. He was on the post and had everything except for the single spot the puck went in covered.

While you are at it, watch the games tonight and tell me how often a goal has the puck side of the net completely sealed when his players had the puck.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  05:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, we were both wrong - looks like every game is going to be extremely low scoring and going into o/t, eh? 2-1 Sharks in the extra period, so Beans got the result correct, but it was once again a real squeaker that could have gone either way. I really do think that at some point in this series, there will be a higher score along the way, but for whom is anyone's guess.

San Jose is still in trouble, but that was an enormous victory last night. I think Anderson may have another shutout in him if San Jose continues to have trouble scoring . . . but he might need two the way things are going.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  08:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was on Beans' side there thinking SJ would come out and finally find and answer to Anderson and win this one easily. Not quite huh?

With home advantage back and the fact they continue to outplay and outshoot the Avs, Slozo, i don't think the Sharks are "still in trouble" myself. I actually see them taking the next to and advancing to the second round of the playoffs! Oh oh, did i just predict the impossible?

Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  08:22:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that might have been the straw that broke the titanium camels back. How many more nights can Anderson face 40+ shots and stop 95% of them?? 174 shots in 4 games!! It's absurd. In San Jose keeps the gas on, it done.

However, if Colorado can hang around the next game and squeak out another low scoring win in a game they had no business being in, it's over for San Jose.

The winner of the next game wins the series in 6.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  07:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I honestly think this series will go 7 games no matter what, even if San Jose does come up with another big game where they score 6 goals or more. Colorado has already shown an amazing resilience, and they are playing with nothing to lose.

And when I say the Sharks are in trouble, I am not just referring to the fact that they may lose this opening round series where they were the enormous favourite; I am also referring to the fact that even if they squeak by Colorado, they are sure to get beaten down by an even better team in the 2nd round if they continue playing the way they are.

Beating the 8th place team, especially one as inexperienced and full of rookies as this Colorado one is, after a season like San Jose had, shouldn't be considered a great victory - it's expected of them.

I am so, so glad I stayed away from picking up San Jose players in any of my hockey pools.

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  14:16:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, mathematically, the Sharks and Canucks can't play till the third round if they both find themselves advancing that far. THAT'S prob the matchup the Sharks would look forward to! They always seem to be able to beat us!

Any of the second round matchups that are possible will be difficult! This season is proving further that all you need is a spot in the playoffs to have a shot at the cup! So many potential upsets!
Go to Top of Page

Guest3421
( )

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  15:01:34  Reply with Quote
No idea who else has been watching this series on the regular, but I have, and really I would not be worried about San Jose. There are alot of comments posted already, but here is my personal opinion of how the Sharks are playing.

1) The trap seemed to stifle them in Game 1, but they seemed to have it beat by the 2 minute mark of Game 2. Overall, their speed coming out of the neutral zone seems to be too much for the Sharks to handle.

2) If not for Anderson this series would have been over already. Everyone (besides Marleau and Big Joe) have seemed to step up their game big time, especially the Pavelski - Clowe - Setoguchi (or Couture) line. Secondary scoring has been plentiful, whenyo consider Scott Nichol and Manny Malholtra are playing arguably the best of their lives.

3) Nabby has been solid, and he really has had only one weak game (Game 2). Other than that, the defense has been good, and everything has been all Sharks, which is a good sign.

As I said, if not for Anderson this series is done. Although not shown on highlights, a majority of Colorado's goals have came from a big save on one end to a rush or semi-rush that has resulted in a goal. I would say 80% of their goals have been off the rush soo far. Mark my words, if Thornton's linecan get two goals San Jose should win. But the Avs have been good defensively and gotten timely goals, so it's anyone's guess.

I predict whoever wins tonight (Game 5) will win the series.
Go to Top of Page

Guest3421
( )

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  15:07:29  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

And when I say the Sharks are in trouble, I am not just referring to the fact that they may lose this opening round series where they were the enormous favourite; I am also referring to the fact that even if they squeak by Colorado, they are sure to get beaten down by an even better team in the 2nd round if they continue playing the way they are.

San Jose has not been playing badly, it is more like Colorado stepped with their goaltending and timely goals. San Jose has outshot Colorado by approximately 20 shots each game! The fact that they score roughly the sam amount per game has to do with Anderson playing well and Joe and Marleau the opposite. They step up, Sharks win.

If I were you, I'd be a bit hesitant to count out the Sharks at this point. If they get Game 5 than they are smelling blood for Game 6.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  23:32:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, looks like the 2nd line is the one which will carry the Sharks for the time being? Heatley and Marleau found a couple of points, but Big Joe is held scoreless yet again!
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  23:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

And that's what San Jose need right now. They need Heatley, Marleau and Thornton to step it up a bit. If they do that, the series becomes theirs.

They have the secondary scoring, the defense playing well and Nabakov playing how needs to right now.

The big three pick it up, they make it past round 1. But i've said that from the start, as many people have. The top guys seem to not perform as needed for San Jose, when the post season begins.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  07:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If San Jose can find some consistancy and play the way they did last night, they will be very tough for anyone to beat.

And Nabokov has allowed only 2 goals in the past 3 games.

This series if over on Saturday night.

I bet my current avatar on it!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page