Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Philadelphia
 Flyers -- Next move? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2010 :  22:39:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Philadelphia Flyers have made a splash during the off-season, so far.

They have built on top of their already solid defensive core. And, then built more on their offensive scoring depth. Two moves, that could help this team make it back to the Stanley Cup Finals -- two years in a row.

As of now, the Flyers look tough.

Centers:
Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, Daniel Brier, Blair Betts, Darrel Powe, Jared Ross.

Left Wingers:
Scott Hartnell, Simon Gagne, James Van Riemsdyke, Dan Carcillo, Ville Leino, Jon Kalinski, Riley Cote.

Right Wingers:
Claude Giroux, Aaron Asham, Ian Laparierre, David Laliberte, Andreas Nodl, Nikolai Zherdev, Jody Shelley.

--

Now, up front things are looking dyn-o-mite. In fact, their biggest issue was on the lack of scoring from the Right Wing. But, they have seemingly addressed this issue early on this off-season. With the signing of Nikolai Zherdev. Who, should provide the team with some added scoring. He is, unless changes occur to positions, the #1 RW at this time it would seem. With Giroux, sliding in at #2.

Meanwhile, they still have a great mix of grit and scoring. The team boasts scorers such as Gagne, Richards, Carter & Briere.

Grit guys, who add some offensive punch too, like Hartnell & Asham & Powe. Then, you have up-and-coming guys, with offensive upside in Van Riemsdyke, Giroux & Leino. Richards, Hartnell, Asham, Laparierre, Powe, Nodl & Betts all add that hard nosed, grit too. And, toughness/enforcement from Shelley.

The Flyers, up front, have an excellent mix of youth, grit and scoring & speed.

Defense:

Chris Pronger, Kimmo Timmonen, Matt Carle, Braydon Coburn, Oskars Bartulis, Lukas Krajicek, Danny Syrvet & Andrej Meszaros.

A top 4 of Pronger, Timmonen, Meszaros & Carle? Looks pretty solid to me. Now, add in Coburn & Bartulis or Krajicek, it looks like a solid defensive corps.

Meszaros fills out the top 4 nicely. With this, it should allow Pronger to play slightly less minutes. A more rested Pronger, could mean more trouble. He'll be on less, but, when he is, he's not going to be as tired.

Goaltending:

Michael Leighton & Brian Boucher.

Perhaps, the Flyers biggest weakness is that of the goaltending. But, it's hard to argue against a tandem that took you to the Cup Finals.

The Flyers can not afford to upgrade their goaltending. Not unless, they move out one of Daniel Brier or Simon Gagne. Which, they could afford to do with the depth up front. They have a little more Center and Left Wing depth, than they do on the Right Wing.

Moving out a higher-end forward, will have to come at the expensive of either Center or Left Wing. Center seems the position they could sacrifice most at. With that of Carter, Richards & Brier.

But, goaltending is important. An upgrade in net, could help this team in the long run going forward.

Are Leighton/Boucher enough? I'm not positive. But, with the strong defense and offensive touch up front, goaltending can afford to be a little weak.

--

What's next for the Flyers before next season? Will they move out a Center or Left Winger, for another Scoring Right Winger? Will they move out a Center or Left Winger, for a goaltender? Will they move out a d-man for a Scoring Right Winger or a goaltender?

You decide.

*** Notice: Some players may no longer be Flyers due to becoming UFA, or RFA who have no received offers to re-sign. Others, may have been traded in deals as well. I compiled the list via a few websites and trades. As, most sites do not have updated Rosters & Positions. Feel free to point out guys no longer with Philly. Thanks.

Irvine/prez.

Edited by - irvine on 07/11/2010 22:49:31

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  07:02:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True the Philly looks really scary. The only thing I would add to your list is that Krajicek and Asham are UFA and probably wont sign because Philly doesn't have the room. But they do have Sean O'Donnel as their 6th defenseman. Also Powe and Carcillo are RFA. They are one of the only team who truly have 6 top 6 forwards, and then a great third line with grit and scoring touch. And then the 4th line have enforcers.

They are over the cap right now so they HAVE to move somebody. Trading a forward would give more chance to Van Riemsdyk and Giroux, two young players who could step in the top six role anytime.

I think the guys who are on the trading block are

1. Simon Gagné (5.25 cap hit)
2. Daniel Brière (6.5 cap hit)
3. Kimmo Timonen (6.333 cap hit)
4. Scott Hartnell (4.2 cap hit)

Holmgren probably wants to keep all of them but right now he has no choice.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was going to say the same... the Flyers look AWESOME for next year, except that they're over the cap

Not only are they over the cap by 1.4M, they still have one more person to sign. They look to have their D and goalies locked up, so they'll need another 2 forwards (the one they sign + the one to replace whoever gets traded away to get under cap).

The most likely to move would be Gagne or Briere (if they could find a taker). Both have NTC's, but you have to think that going forward the Flyers want to build around Richards + Carter + 1 other. Zherdev is in for secondary scoring, Van Riemsdyk is going nowhere as a propsect with huge upside, Harntell provides muscle and scoring (albeit at a higher price than I would want to pay).

Gagne or Briere will move before September. Given Briere's contract is harder to move, I'd say Gagne is the one.

I have no idea what they'll trade for, or to who. Sounds like Simmonds is available in LA for the right price. Setoguchi is clearly available. Ryan is worth way more than Gagne, and doesn't help the Phili situation anyway.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:35:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just saw on the canucks boards... apparently sources (Darren Dredger) is saying that many GM's think that PHI will put Gagne on waivers soon. Apparently he doesn't want to waive his NTC, and the only recourse in that case is for PHI to effectively give him away.

I'm not clear on how waivers affect NTC's - can someone enlighten? Is a no-trade the same as a no-movement, or is the latter different? If a player with a NTC goes on waivers and is claimed by another team, does his NTC stay with him and his contract?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thoughts:

Briere (RW, btw) had been on the trading block supposedly last year, but he has just come off a fantastic playoff performance. Still, you'd have to think he is available for a cap friendly young winger or even better, an actual starting goalie.

Gagne (LW) has been mentioned as a possibility to leave, but nothing has been confirmed, other than Gagne denying he waived his NTC, so who knows.

Hartnell (LW) had a poor regular season like Gagne, but was a key player in the playoffs, and he is a big winger I am sure they would like to keep.

Depth chart for wingers, after the Zherdev acquisition:
Right Wingers----------- Left Wingers
1) Briere - - - - - - - - - - - Gagne
2) Zherdev - - - - - - - - - - Van Riemsdyk
3) Giroux - - - - - - - - - - - Hartnell
4) Laperrier - - - - - - - - - Leino, Shelley

If I were the Philly GM, I'd want to find a top 6 spot for young Giroux, and young Van Riemsdyk, who both look like solid NHLers who will have very good careers. This is why the Zherdev acquisition puzzles me, unless Briere is on the move, as Giroux is not a guy you want on the third line, and neither is Zherdev - both skill guys.

But the same could be said almost for right wing, and Gagne had a tough regular season and a ho-hum playoffs for the finalists. Van Riemsdyk is the winger of the future and a potential star player in the future; and Hartnell when healthy is a big strong character guy who may get you 20-30 goals. As we see on right wing, Gagne could be traded, and everybody moves up a spot and the line-up is still strong.

I don't know if it's Briere or Gagne being shopped, or both, but one of them is going to move, I think - and my money is on Gagne.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Jumbo Joe Rocks
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
410 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:01:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they will trade Hartnell.

GO SHARKS GO
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll