Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Web site comments only
 Spell check Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  19:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Admin,

I just want to know if it would be possible to code a basic spell checker into the Forum. I checked the Snitz website quickly and couldn't find anything but there must be something out there that someone coded that's available. I don't know about you but I think the quality of spelling in this Forum is atrocious and while I couldn't expect everyone to have as sound a knowledge of spelling as I do, I would like to think that people could use something like this to clean up their posts. It wouldn't completely solve the problem but I think it would be a decent step in the right direction.

Thanks,

Stefan

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:15:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bablaboushka
atrocious

Autrocious?

lol

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  12:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, he spelled it right.

And I couldn't agree more--if this forum needs anything, it's a spell check.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  13:51:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I no that my speling is bad. I grew up in the genurashun of spelchek. Without it, I am a fonetic mess. Sory. Hop I kan du bedder in the futcher.

I strongly agree with spell check.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  14:15:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
me to

~~~~~GO STARS~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

-oil-country-
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
988 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  14:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I no that my speling is bad. I grew up in the genurashun of spelchek. Without it, I am a fonetic mess. Sory. Hop I kan du bedder in the futcher.

I strongly agree with spell check.

lol i think someone needs a spell check (i know you were joking around)
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  17:18:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

me to

I think you meant me too
Yeah we definitely need a spell check (and a grammar one)

Edited by - Mikhailova on 01/23/2007 17:18:58
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  17:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

No, he spelled it right.

And I couldn't agree more--if this forum needs anything, it's a spell check.

Thought so, but I was going for a bit of irony..

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  20:38:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I grew up in the genurashun of spelchek.

So did I, and it's one of the worst things to happen to education. Kids these days are so unbelievably lazy and rely on this to get them through school. English programs focus more on the analysis of literature which I think is ridiculous to do before kids can spell. I understand its significance, but I think the education system should be more worried about basics and less worried about symbolism in Shakespeare's sonnets. Want proof?

quote:
Originally posted by semin-rules

me to

And guess what, spell check wouldn't pick that up so automatically it's thought not to be erroneous. Case and point.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 01/23/2007 20:39:21
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  21:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Babs, I totally agree. I also think that it is based on the career path that one chooses. I was much better at spelling when I was in school, however, my career path is significantly more numbers/analysis based. I can do math like no one's business and do things in my head that most people need a calculator to do. I don't need to write a bunch in my job so the skills get rusty.

By the way, did you have to edit your last post a minute after you originally posted because you found a spelling error?? Kidding............
Go to Top of Page

Guest4664
( )

Posted - 01/23/2007 :  22:16:18  Reply with Quote
If you're so mad at the system forcing children (which are now grown up) to rely on the spell check, why do you want one on the forum? I really can't say I'm too upset with or without it. I personally will look into the spelling if I'm not certain, so likely if I have a spelling mistake it's because I simply mistyped. I don't know how old the individuals on the forum are, but I'm plenty used to the "msn typing" ways of: "btw, r u gnna c the mov l8r?" Although I hardly want that kind of typing to move into everyday life, I'm used to distinguishing between a professional and social tone. Just giving my two cents.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  07:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good points 4664...

I am actually impressed that you would look up a word you were going to write if you weren't sure of its spelling, good for you. I do that too because I want to represent myself well when I post something and the last thing I want is for people to think I can't spell or that I've been MSN-ized. I know typos happen, and those are usually easy to distinguish from words that are misspelled. What I encourage is to re-read your post once you've posted it, I do and I often catch errors, hence the reason why my posts so often have the "Edited by..." tag at the bottom.

You're right, technically what I'm proposing is hypocritical and ironic. Seen as I know I can't magically fix everyone's spelling skills and qualify everyone for a spelling bee, I'm simply proposing a "band-aid solution". I'm not proposing this to help better the members' english, I'm proposing it to better uphold this site's integrity. At least if it appears that the posts on this site are well-delivered, it might show that the members are more educated and can thus offer better opinions. It's just an aesthetic thing really.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 01/24/2007 07:33:44
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  12:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I understand its significance, but I think the education system should be more worried about basics and less worried about symbolism in Shakespeare's sonnets.

I couldn't agree more. After all, in the real word good spelling/grammar is a lot more important than the ability to analyze Macbeth's soliloquies, for example...
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  20:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I understand its significance, but I think the education system should be more worried about basics and less worried about symbolism in Shakespeare's sonnets.

I couldn't agree more. After all, in the real word good spelling/grammar is a lot more important than the ability to analyze Macbeth's soliloquies, for example...

Same i could't agree more
Go to Top of Page

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  20:26:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

I will look into a spell check mod for the forum,as I agree that with the amount of people here now (which is great) we have been too easy on everyone.

For now, here is the deal: Read over your message before you post it. Its very simple and its all about respecting your fellow forum members.

Posts containing 'lol' or any other chat room language are also offside.

Thanks guys
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  20:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who would have thought this type of topic would spark this much debate in a HOCKEY forum! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2007 :  21:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another way is to write your message in word, use that spell check, then copy & paste. But that's a bit time consuming. Just type it out normally & fix the mistakes yourself. Before you know it, you'll be a grammer pro!
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  15:52:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyall

Another way is to write your message in word, use that spell check, then copy & paste. But that's a bit time consuming. Just type it out normally & fix the mistakes yourself. Before you know it, you'll be a grammer pro!

Uh-huh

Go Preds Go!!!

Edited by - KariyaSelanne on 01/25/2007 15:52:38
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  16:30:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A grammer pro?
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  19:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, she bolded the 'e' cause it's grammAr.

Boy, you guys keep strengthening my case!

Edited by - bablaboushka on 01/25/2007 19:47:00
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  19:54:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who's a she
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  20:20:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Look where the post came from...

Mik is a girl.
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  22:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Case and point, the more mistakes I make the better I get.
Thanks for pointing out my error.

Edited by - lyall on 01/25/2007 22:08:51
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  23:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Look where the post came from...

Mik is a girl.

really i didn't know that weird
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:59:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL

You learn something every day, they say...
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  13:04:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

LOL

You learn something every day, they say...

i guess i did learn something LOL
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  15:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgive me admin for going off subject, I know you didn't create this thread for a spelling debate but allow me to address this issue while it has been brought up:
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

quote:

If you know the spelling is wrong, look it up and change it:
Google or NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=PlayerSearchPage

I don't think you need to remind us at every turn Babs. We don't have to be this anal about spelling. Life goes on, it's a hockey forum, not an english test. As long as we show respect and make reasonable attempts with it, that should suffice. Any further comments on spell check should be relegated to the spell check thread please. Spoken from the longest standing member of this prestigious site.

Well I would stop bringing it up but I mean no one is willing to make an effort to correct the problem. I won't correct everyone's spelling mistakes at every post, in fact I rarely ever do. I just think that when you KNOW you've misspelled some player's name, instead of showing everyone you can't spell by writing something like "I know this is spelled wrong", look up the correct spelling and show everyone you can. While you're doing this, you'll learn for yourself how to spell it and from them on you'll be making one mistake less. I wasn't born knowing how to spell Miikka Kiprusoff or Jay Bouwmeester...

Like I tell my Atom kids, all I can ask for is effort.

I hear ya Babs, and let me say that you are doing a fine and noble job of keeping things in line. I commend you sincerely. There are certainly some absolutely terrible posts that I can't even come close to deciphering, and on occasion something needs to be said. All I am saying is that it might be overkill to be frequently reminding the folks here, especially those who bring an intelligent and usually crystal clear point of view. (by "frequently" I mean almost a dozen posts since the start of the season and an entire thread devoted to spelling). I try to look things up when I don't know them, but often I won't and often I am wrong. I for one would not like to be chastised for my spelling or grammar errors (not that you have...yet). It's a balancing act between keeping a clean forum and not scaring away people from posting by being too authoritarian. You are doing a great job, I was just giving you a polite heads up as a fellow member with some experience.

But again, you are doing an excellent job and I love having you around to debate with. And even more so, I will be very happy in March when my Flames pass those hacks known as the Sharks.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  17:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let me tell ya man, I completely understand. I wouldn't want someone always telling me if I made a spelling mistake here and there, it happens. With the exception of players' names, I rarely if ever comment on someone's spelling unless it is an outrageously illegible post, usually by a guest. On most occasions, other members do a lot of that for me. But here is my take:

The admin generously gave me moderator duties with the intention of better upholding the quality of the Forum, because with the number of members growing and subsequently the size of the forums expanding, it was getting quite tedious to look after it all alone. Now I don't want to come off as being the martyr that kept this Forum alive, but I feel that I should enforce the rules and standards set forth by the admin to ensure that this Forum stays a quality one. Judging by the way he monitors the forums and what it takes for him to intervene, I try to be consistent with him. I'm not trying to be too much of a harsh-ass but I still want to maintain the quality he imposes.

When you consider that one of the Polls Posting Guidelines is that polls with more than JUST ONE spelling error will be deleted, you guys have to acknowledge how lenient we've both been. Instead of deleting your polls, we've given you (most members) warnings when your new poll should be revised because of mistakes. I don't think this qualifies very much as authoritarian, but more as a polite reminder of the standards of the Forum. If we deleted all new polls with more than one spelling error as the rules truly states, then trust me we wouldn't have very many polls to talk about.

Listen, I certainly don't want to discourage people from posting, that's the last thing I want. And I certainly don't expect to change anyone's life by showing them a different way of looking at spelling. I'm just trying to keep this Forum a quality place to discuss hockey and to uphold its integrity, the same way I would if it was my own.

Leigh, I truly appreciate the feeback. I don't take any of this personally and I hope no one else does either. Keep it coming!

If you're up for another week of promoting the Sharks, their next meeting is Feb. 24 and it's on HNIC! It's even in Calgary, so let me know what you think!
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  17:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do i make a lot of mistakes
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  18:22:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have explained yourself fully and I understand and recognize the importance of moderation...as long as it is in moderation. Keeping a forum happy and healthy is not just about spelling and grammar, but also providing a welcoming atmosphere. You and I both know your intentions are good, but some users may feel bullied or embarrassed and therefore discouraged. I say, feel free to fix initial user polls if they are incorrect to keep the quality high, but ease up on the "name spelling whipping" through out the threads (unless it is someone who is constantly messing up). While reading a misspelled name is an inconvenience, I assure you that reading about another member being scolded by a person in a position of authority for misspelling "Bouwmeester" is even more of a downer. After all, a lot of the names in the NHL are very challenging.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4950
( )

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  18:24:58  Reply with Quote
The best way is to get an education and pay attention in school. Stop being lazy and using chat speak when typing out in forums.
When I gotten up di mornin I was jus a lil bit illiterate.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  19:08:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

You have explained yourself fully and I understand and recognize the importance of moderation...as long as it is in moderation. Keeping a forum happy and healthy is not just about spelling and grammar, but also providing a welcoming atmosphere. You and I both know your intentions are good, but some users may feel bullied or embarrassed and therefore discouraged. I say, feel free to fix initial user polls if they are incorrect to keep the quality high, but ease up on the "name spelling whipping" through out the threads (unless it is someone who is constantly messing up). While reading a misspelled name is an inconvenience, I assure you that reading about another member being scolded by a person in a position of authority for misspelling "Bouwmeester" is even more of a downer. After all, a lot of the names in the NHL are very challenging.

Just my 2 cents. Take it for what it is worth.

Yeah that's fine. The ONLY reason I responded to that one was the "I know this is spelled wrong part". I'm not scolding people, I just wish people would make an effort to inform themselves that's all. It's not for my benefit, it's for yours and that will be reflected whenever you make a post. I don't think I've ever put anyone down personally for misspelling a name and if I have it wasn't my intention and I apologize. I'm not here to make people feel bad and I don't consider my reminders negative. All I usually say is "Please revise your spelling of ___ ". I mean, should I sugar-coat it? The way I say it seems pretty straight-forward and is not negatively connotated. If members see this as embarrassing, then by God I'll stop but we're mostly all adults here so I figure if I remind people to do their best to post with quality that it will become a habit so I won't ever have to mention it.

I definitely don't cross the line of imposing my "authority". In fact before this whole discussion started, I only made the occasional comment about spelling when new polls were started that were VERY badly written. I mean how little is moderation? I think I've been very fair when it comes to this and even the admin said himself that we have been quite easy on you guys.

About players' names, I understand that a lot of them are tricky. That's the joy of the NHL, players come from all around the world to share a common passion - hockey. This also leads to language barriers and funky names (to us). I could probably spell most of them, but that's only because I've spent a lot of time on the NHL's website because I like to stay informed. I don't expect everyone to do like me because it would make for an unproductive society. I also know some people care less about what impression they make over the internet to people they don't know than others. But if you're trying to figure out how to spell Bouwmeester but can't, you could just look it up on the NHL website in less time than it would take you to figure out the spelling of it. After you do that, you generally would remember how to spell it next time it comes up, or you have another reference if you need to look it up.

I'm just trying to help you guys... I'm not obligating anyone to accept but can encouraging learning really be such a bad thing?
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  22:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I say it's all a matter of personal opinion. If you don’t care, then go ahead and spell everything wrong. But I know that when I read a post if it’s spelt wrong & the grammar is terrible, then I'm not too interested. The most respectable people, and those who seem to have the most intellect about hockey, are those who take the time to make their post look good and easy to read. If I want people to take my opinion seriously, then I present it in a serious manner. It’s seems pretty simple; there are the lazy people who want to put in their 2 cents (No offence to Leigh. Just a figure of speech.), and those who want to share their opinion with the rest of the hockey fan on the site.

Also Babs, I think you and Admin are doing a great job. you guys deserve props. I know that I sometimes I don't have time to post my replies, let alone monitor the entire site. If a name is spelt incorrectly, then you should let them know. Maybe they thought they were spelling it right. Then they see it was wrong and next time will double check. If it’s a lazy illegible post, then just let them be lazy. They don’t seem to care, so why should you. And of course there are the typos, but mistakes happen. I don’t think you're using your “authority” to much. You have been designated by Admin to monitor the site and your just filling out your obligation. I say your doing a bang up job. Keep up the good work.

Edited by - lyall on 01/26/2007 22:42:17
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  23:39:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with leigh. it's ok to let someone know once in a while if they are being a nard. but otherwise let the forum roll. you can correct spelling in the post without telling them they screwed up. most people will realize that it has been edited and take note. I also think that leigh is agreeing with you boushi judging from his responses. he sounds like he is only putting in a word of caution. that's cool. listen to your peeps. good job too.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  07:37:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow...the biggest debate we've had on this forum isn't even about hockey! LOL

As for funky names...if you happen to be familiar with basic Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, and Slovak spelling, it's a lot easier. But I know not everyone is that much of a geek
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  11:51:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow...the biggest debate we've had on this forum isn't even about hockey! LOL

As for funky names...if you happen to be familiar with basic Russian, Finnish, Swedish, Czech, and Slovak spelling, it's a lot easier. But I know not everyone is that much of a geek

you calling me a geek
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  12:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha Well if you've taken the time to learn all those alphabets and pronunciations, yeah! You're not alone, I'm a geek too in that regard.
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  12:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hahaha Well if you've taken the time to learn all those alphabets and pronunciations, yeah! You're not alone, I'm a geek too in that regard.

LOL haha
Go to Top of Page

Guest4044
( )

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  13:22:07  Reply with Quote
ya babla you're doing a great job. liegh makes a valid point to and I also think he is in total agreemnt with you. looked like it was just a heads up. keep up the good work buddy! maybe leigh should be a moderator heh? ha ha!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2007 :  15:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ripley

I agree with leigh. it's ok to let someone know once in a while if they are being a nard. but otherwise let the forum roll. you can correct spelling in the post without telling them they screwed up.

Well thanks for comments guys... one last thing I want to clear up:

I know Leigh was half-agreeing with me but this quote from Ripley came up in Leigh's post too. I don't tell people they screwed up. I politely and straight-forwardly advise them to revise their spelling and in most cases it is done quickly and seamlessly. It might just be the wording you used, but I don't mean to imply any negativity when I ask someone to check their spelling, I'm just doing it as a mod. I think it's useless to go change it myself because first of all it's like "invading" someone else's post and secondly because then the person does not even know, so the person is not made aware of the correct spelling. This site isn't english class, I know, but that doesn't mean that we should stop learning from each other, especially when it comes to hockey.

Put in Lyall's words:
quote:
Originally posted by lyall

If a name is spelt incorrectly, then you should let them know. Maybe they thought they were spelling it right. Then they see it was wrong and next time will double check.

Edited by - bablaboushka on 01/27/2007 16:00:09
Go to Top of Page

Ripley
PickupHockey Pro

USA
365 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2007 :  18:09:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you're right, it was just the phrase I chose to imply "letting them know it was a mistake". I can see how that sounded more negative than I intended it to. sorry about that.

Youre right though, if you don't post a notice some people will not know youve changed it, but many others will. but I don't think that anyone disputes that it is your call (and admins).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page