Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Montreal
 The Montreal Canadian 2010 2011 season Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  19:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i wanted to wait untill the habs played their first pre season game to comment of their up coming season. Mostly because i have had limited expirence watching guys like Louis Leblanc and Aaron Palushaj play along with many others.

Now having just finished taking in the habs 4-2 loss to the Boston Bruins I have a few educated thoughts.

Young players like Leblanc and Aaron Palushaj really stood out on the ice tonight. Leblanc very often looked very comfortable with the puck and set up quite a few excellent scoring chances and also took quite a few dangerous shots. Palushaj looked better imo than any linemate the habs have been able to find for Cammalleri and Pleaknec since the two have been formed as a pretty good duo, Kostitsyn is only good in streaks and does more to hinder the line than anything imo. Aaron Palushaj looked very good in a top six role, don`t get me wrong i do not expect the kid to be a 90 point scorer but a solid 20 goals and 25 assist in a few seasons isn`t out of the realm of possibility.

Jeff Halpren and Max Lapierre looked excellent together , if Halpren plays like this throughout the year i will be very happy with this pick up all and all i am ready to say i think the habs have a much better team this coming season. Why you ask because of top six depth Pouliot looked hungry in his first game which is good he doesn`t have to prove his talent only his drive, Lars Eller is poised to be a good top six forward in the league along with Aaron Palushaj not to mention in a pinch Dustin Boyd has the skillset to play a top six role for small strecths in case of inury along with Lapierre and others.

Goaltending is an issue and although Price let up all 4 goals two of which were Break aways by Marc Andre Bergeron (who played a terrific game) one was a screen from the point on a power play which you cant blame price for. the first goal however you would like price to have gotten, so i am still undecided on Goaltending.

All and all i`m looking to see the Habs Finish 7th this year imo but that is providing Price plays like a starting goalie.

Pasty

Edited by - willus3 on 09/26/2010 07:56:23

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2010 :  21:33:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As with every other team, one game is a tough thing to judge by but i have a question for you Pasty....

Who do you, or the media in Mtl, or the team for that matter expect to make the squad this year? What rumours are you hearing? Is Leblanc there to experience camp, or does he have a legitimate shot? Same for Eller? Any chance these guys stick?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  16:22:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

As with every other team, one game is a tough thing to judge by but i have a question for you Pasty....

Who do you, or the media in Mtl, or the team for that matter expect to make the squad this year? What rumours are you hearing? Is Leblanc there to experience camp, or does he have a legitimate shot? Same for Eller? Any chance these guys stick?

After the camp Leblanc has had i can hear the fans screaming for him but i don't think the habs will make the same mistake with Leblanc that they did with Latendress. Eller is penciled in he was an all star in the AHL last yeat he is 22 and if he is not ready now he never will be, i am 99% sure the habs will look like this next season...

Cammalleri Pleakanec Kostitsyn
Gionta Gomez Eller/Pouliot
Lapierre Halpren Pouliot/Eller
Boyd Darche Pyatt Moen

Subban Hammirlik
Spacek O byrn
Gill Georges
Markov (still injured)

Price
Auld

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  17:01:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carey! Carey! Carey! Carey!

No but really we were all wondering how long it would take before they booed him out of the ice. Well about 30 minutes and 10 shots later. it's crazy he let in one bad goal in his first appearance in a preseason game and they already booed him.

But for the kids I don't think Leblanc is ready this year. He will certainly play minor or AHL this year. As for Eller like Pasty said he's ready, and right now the bottom six in Montreal is up for grab. They got rid of a lot of their regulars in the past couple of years so they could make room for the younger players. Well now this is it.

Cammalleri is the guy I enjoy the most watching on that team, Gionta is the guy who scares me the most when he has the puck (as a Leafs fan)
Markov is their better player and the core of the team and his injury will hurt the team.
Carey Price I simply don't like him (work ethic, style, and the logo he wears) so I hope he falters.

And by the way it was Patrice Bergeron who scored those goals not M-A.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  18:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carey Price better get ready Pasty because he is going to be analyzied to death, poor kid may not stand a chance. Wish the leafs would pick up Markov one day, he is outstanding.

Montreal`s size up front could be an issue, plenty of skill and speed but the east is getting tougher each year and Montreal certainly isn`t as a team.

Still can`t figure out why they got rid of Halak, this guy may be a superstar in the making.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  18:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Still can`t figure out why they got rid of Halak, this guy may be a superstar in the making.

Easy answer, value. Halak had a huge value after the playoffs and as an RFA (along with Price) the Habs could not afford to offer them both qualifying offers, more than likely go to arbitration and then get unfavorable arbitrators(a la Niemi) and lose one or both of them for nothing.

They got a TON for Halak considering he was an RFA.

Edited by - Beans15 on 09/23/2010 19:32:30
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  19:02:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep . . . as intensely as we hate each other (habs fans and Leaf fans), we are the only fans that see this kind of pressure every season. It is really intense.

Booed in first pre-season game? Stand in line, Kaberle was first. Booed after his first pre-season game, first night of hockey for fans getting a FREE game. And booed because he wasn't traded for some glorious piece.

It's hilarious, sad, but . . . we have to live with it. I know Price isn't a bad goalie, but I don't think he's a great one - and he'd have to be to withstand the pressure-cooker he will be in this year.

I'd say good luck here if I wasn't a Leafs fan. Break a leg?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  20:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Yep . . . as intensely as we hate each other (habs fans and Leaf fans), we are the only fans that see this kind of pressure every season. It is really intense.

Booed in first pre-season game? Stand in line, Kaberle was first. Booed after his first pre-season game, first night of hockey for fans getting a FREE game. And booed because he wasn't traded for some glorious piece.

It's hilarious, sad, but . . . we have to live with it. I know Price isn't a bad goalie, but I don't think he's a great one - and he'd have to be to withstand the pressure-cooker he will be in this year.

I'd say good luck here if I wasn't a Leafs fan. Break a leg?

completly and honestly i hope wish and pray that Price is Traded to the Leafs this season wins 45 and leads the leafs to the stanly cup finals while shutting th habs out in 4 games in the eastern conference finals,, why because i am that ashamed of habs fans,, because besides the one first goal Price looked pretty solid for his first preseason game and habs fans are so f ing dumb it embarrass' me ..... oh and leaf fans i am dead serious i would wish a cup for you guys just to show the fans here how dumb they are,,,,

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  21:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pasty.....just picked up a hockey pool mag and this particular one actually doesn't predict Leblanc to make the roster till 12-13 (not even next year). Def not planning on rushing him if that's the case!
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  21:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

Pasty.....just picked up a hockey pool mag and this particular one actually doesn't predict Leblanc to make the roster till 12-13 (not even next year). Def not planning on rushing him if that's the case!

I don't know if you got the impression i meant he would make it this year,,, i don\t expect him untill next year but even then i like the way st louis has brought guys like Eller along with a full season in the AHL so 2012 2013 even works for me, i just meant he looked really good in his first game and the fans here will be crying for LE QUEBECOIs to make the big club

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  22:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

I don't know if you got the impression i meant he would make it this year,,,

No, not at all. Just kinda throwing out there what i read today.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9246
( )

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  04:49:55  Reply with Quote
Watched the Bruins\Habs game on rds and if I didn't know any different I would have guessed that the Bruins were the Quebec based team. They had Patrice Bergeron, Maxime Sauve, Jordan Caron and Daniel Paille in the line up.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  08:47:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't matter what kind of season Price has, if he doesn't put up better numbers than Halak, in the fans eyes it's a fail. That sucks for Price as it's very unfair. Many variables involved, defence or lack of, skilled forwards or lack of both make or break a goalie and i'm not sure the Habs are up to the challenge from Halak's team. A friend at work told me that Price got a standing OV when the line up was announced at the game and then he's booed of 25 min later.......... 'tis is life in the MTL bubble. It isn't going to get any better for the poor kid.

"Can't see the forest for the trees? BUY A CHAINSAW !!"
Go to Top of Page

Guest4062
( )

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  02:23:22  Reply with Quote
Personally, I think that if the team is healthy and Markov can return to form then the Habs will once again be playoff bound and will BOLDY predict that the Habs will improve in the standings.. Last season, Montreal went stretches where Gionta, Markov, Cammilleri were all injured for extended periods of time, and missed out on Gomez for an additional 4 games. When you miss 79 man games to your top 4 players and still manage to squeek into the playoffs there is no need to think that this season will be dire.

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  11:17:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Price has let in 10 goals on 37 shots in pre-season so far, not good. You can have the greatest players in every position but if your goalie keeps having these types of performances you're in trouble. He's going to get the start tonight and I do hope he can turn it around. I don't believe he is a bad goalie but the pressure on this kid is unimaginable. IMO goaltending is going to decide how this season goes for the Canadiens.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page

Guest4746
( )

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  11:42:51  Reply with Quote
Goaltending is 99% mental. Price is a no show as long as he is in Montreal thats all their is to it.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  14:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well just under the 10 game mark and the Habs are looking fairly good with a balanced attack decent defense and Price so far has answerd all the questions about his place on this roster. with a Solid 6-2-1 record the habs look strong all the way around. Granted we need to get our second line scoring, Gomez and Gionta have to pick up their game, but in their defense the points may not be there but there are generating chances and taking loads of shots on goal so i am not concerned. Max Lapierre looks very solid in his checker/agitator role Halpren has impressed me so far as a solid replacement for Metropolite, Lars Eller looks like the complete package, the points aren't there yet but he has created chances every game works hard in the corners and wins most of his battles and looks very good carrying the puck and very solid in his own end. Subban although has made his fair share of rookie mistakes looks like everything he has been hyped to be, Markov will be back Saturday, I honestly thinks this years version of the habs is better and deeper than last years and i think this team will finish second in the Northeast behind the Bruins and maybe finish as high a 5th in the conference if they can keep this up.

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  11:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have to admit, your Canadiens have shown that once again, they are resilient. No Markov, not exactly firing on all cylinders, but you have a great start to the season . . . along with Price playing quite well.

You know it can't last, right?

Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  11:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4746

Goaltending is 99% mental. Price is a no show as long as he is in Montreal thats all their is to it.

Go to Top of Page

Guest2622
( )

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  11:27:20  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4746

Really? Have any new takes on this now? I think people sometimes undervalue not having to look over your shoulder. Montreal got a couple of good parts to improve their depth, and even with Markov out, they are still kicking butt. I have always said, as long as this team skates, they can compete with anybody. And they sure have been skating. I think its also because they have now had time to understand and fully implement Martin's coaching scheme.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  11:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BooYaaaaaaaaaa !
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  19:57:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

BooYaaaaaaaaaa !

you re just happy because i said boston will win the north east!!! by the way now at the 10 game mark 7-2-1

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  02:20:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I that transparent Patsy???

LOL

And ya, you be kinda right! 10 games in for Habs, only 7 for B's.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 10/30/2010 02:22:15
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page