Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Magnus Paajarvi Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  20:25:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's that? Can you hear it? I think it was Beans annoucing the parade route through Edmonton this year just after Paajarvi's third goal went in. All kidding aside, I know it's a pre-season game against not a very good Tampa team (meaning they aren't playing a lot of their top guys) But Paarjarvi is playing sick, and looks like he completly belongs, honestly I see big things from this kid. I always thought he was good in the world juniors but he is skating circles around the entire Lightning team and looking sick doing it.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2010 :  23:12:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's PRESEASON. All will change once the rest of the big boys suit up.

Come on, no Stamkos, Lecavalier, Gagne etc. What do you expect from Tampa when their best players are missing?!

I give no weight whatsoever to the preseason.

I just want to see effort , skill(which paajarvi displayed), and desire in the preseason. Preseason results just help or hinder morale, IMO
Go to Top of Page

Guest7924
( )

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  08:31:06  Reply with Quote
It's not really about who he's playing against in the preseason. I watch this entire game and he impressed me every time he touched the puck. When he had the puck he looked dangerous.

That's the difference to me between a guy like Paajarvi and Kadri. Magnus would enter the zone with speed, drive hard and get a dangerous looking shot off. Where as Kadri is playing like he already has a spot on the team. He looks like he's going through the motions out there. Enters the offensive zone with little speed the either stops up to wait for another forward who isn't there yet because kadri's leaving the zone too ealrier or he turns the puck over.

If you're a bubble player trying to make the squad you have to take Paajavi's approach. Regardless of the hatrick, he was the best player on the ice...on both teams.

Get your act together Kadri!
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  10:02:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paajarvi had a great game, no doubt. However, his first goal on the breakaway and his last goal with an average shot on his off wing would have been stopped by most NHL calibre goalies.

Two things I did see from the game last night is that both Hall and Paajarvi have NHL speed. They both appeared like they belonged. However, Hall tried a couple of moves that I think the Oil vets will deal with. It's not the OHL anymore and he's gotta learn it before he learns the hard way. The other things that I was optomistic about was the Oilers defence. BIG!! Moved the puck well, threatening offensively.

Shawn Belle is a monster at 6'1" and 240 lbs. He looked huge although I doubt he will make the squad.

Good start. Promising. But still very, very, very preseason.

Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  07:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took Eberle over Paajarvi for my last pick in last night pool. Did I made a mistake? Who's more promising?

I think in the long run Paajarvi will be a better point producer and Eberle a better all around player.

But who looks more ready to have a top six role this year?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  09:04:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
if I had a choice between Eberle and Paajarvi, I'd take Paajarvi myself. I still think he has to be a serious front runner for the Calder, in what is shaping up to be a pretty good crop of rookies.

I don't think you're going to go wrong with Eberle, he's likely to make and stick with a young EDM team, and both will likely see top-6 duties. I saw him play the other night, and he was good, although certainly not (offensively) spectacular. But for a hockey pool where points count and not 2-way play, I think Paajarvi will do better.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  13:47:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafs81

I took Eberle over Paajarvi for my last pick in last night pool. Did I made a mistake? Who's more promising?

I think in the long run Paajarvi will be a better point producer and Eberle a better all around player.

But who looks more ready to have a top six role this year?

It all depends on the type of pool you are in. If it is a keeper pool, I don't think you can loose with either. However, if it is based on this season alone and it's based on points only you did make a mistake.

The Oilers top 6 forwards are projected to be Hemsky, Horcoff, Gagner, Penner, Hall, and Paajarvi. Brule will be the guy that fills into the top 6 if needed. Eberle will be mostly 3rd line and some in and around Edmonton are saying he may play part of the season in the AHL.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  16:09:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paajarvi is a great young player, i think he played execellent for team sweden, gonna be a great one.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7924
( )

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  08:22:48  Reply with Quote
The thing I like about Eberle is that when you look at him you have all the reason to believe this guy won't succeed but he continues to suprise me anyways. Some guys just a have a natural scorers touch. Thats all this guy does is snipe goals.

Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:01:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After last nights game it would be hard for me to not make a line with Horcoff, Hall, and Eberle...they looked fantastic, almost as if they've played together all last season. So if that becomes a line you can play Hemsky, Gagne, and Paajarvi as a line. 1 A and 1 B.

I do think Paajarvi has more speed, is very skilled and will contend for the Calder but it will depend on chemistry with his linemates. All in all in a full season I would predict Ebs and Mags to be very close in points by the end.

On a side note Linus Omark looked pretty good last night too, I wonder if there is any possibility of him making the line up. Obviously not everyone is going to make the team this year but pre-season is showing they are chalked full of talented youth for the future.

"When Hell freezes over, I'll play hockey there too."
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:29:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gusteroni

After last nights game it would be hard for me to not make a line with Horcoff, Hall, and Eberle...they looked fantastic, almost as if they've played together all last season. So if that becomes a line you can play Hemsky, Gagne, and Paajarvi as a line. 1 A and 1 B.

I do think Paajarvi has more speed, is very skilled and will contend for the Calder but it will depend on chemistry with his linemates. All in all in a full season I would predict Ebs and Mags to be very close in points by the end.

On a side note Linus Omark looked pretty good last night too, I wonder if there is any possibility of him making the line up. Obviously not everyone is going to make the team this year but pre-season is showing they are chalked full of talented youth for the future.

Let's not forget this is still pre-season. I did not see the game last night so I am not sure who was in for the Canucks, but I would be surprised if they were throwing their 3rd line shutdown guys at Horcoff's line all night.

Bottom line, Hemsky is offensive player the Oilers have today. He is not going anywhere other than the 1st line and for the most part, Horcoff and Hemsky have been solid together for a long time. Horcoff's biggest issues last season came when Hemsky was out and when Quinn put him with Pisani and Moreau.

The first line will be Hemsky and Horcoff. The wing position is still up for grabs. Could be Hall or Paajarvi. Very well could be Penner. However, I think Penner's size on the 2nd line with protect Gagner and more than likely Paajarvi. Hall will play 1st line and Eberle will be on a 3rd line with Cogliano and Brule.
Go to Top of Page

Gusteroni
Rookie

Canada
225 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:57:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed the Canucks didn't have a very good line-up last night and Schneider did not look good at all. However, once you watch all the highlights I think you will agree that Horcoff, Hall, and Eberle looked really good together. Ebs showed some NHL speed I have not seen from him as of yet and he has on hell of a shot.

I could live with the triple H line (Hemsky, Horcoff, and Hall) they could be pretty damn dynamic. There are only so many spots for Eberle to be in. I just don't feel that Paajavi or Eberle are third line players in the fiuture but because of the depth in forwards and having the vets taking top six spots I guess that is a reality at least for this season.

That being said it will be a battle for the remainder of the pre-season between Mags and Ebs for that second line spot. I can see the line-up scenario you've projected as well, that would make for three nicely balanced lines and each one having its own type of style.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page