Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Chicago
 Would you pick Toews in your Pool? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  07:14:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I run a free for all pool, meaning my Grandmother has as much chance of winning as I do. You can pick 12 forwards. Everyone picks the Crosbys and Ovechkins etc. A few people have picked Jonathan Toews, which I found very surprising, as if you look at his regular season stats, he isn't exactly in the top 12 forwards for points. So my question is would you pick Toews if you could pick any 12 forwards?

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Choices:

Yes
No

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  10:34:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted NO. Love the kid, and let's face it, he brings it when it's most needed (ie. the playoffs) but until i see him in the top 12 in the scoring race at season's end, not a chance. He's more of a top 20 guy i'd say.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  13:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you are talking straight points for goals and assists and nothing for +/- or PK or anything else, then no. Toews would not be in my top 12.

It's unfortunate that the best all around players get punished for being able to do things other than score.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4544
( )

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  13:52:45  Reply with Quote
no
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2010 :  20:42:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it would depend on how you are scoring...although in most standard pool scoring systems, I don't think that Toews ranks in the top 12 forwards in the NHL. I can easily think of 12 forwards that I would take before Toews showed up on my radar.

Unless there are points for being the captain of CHI

As a sample, in all of my pools this year (I'm in 5, gawd), Toews was a 4th/5th round pick (10-12 people per pool, picking goalies, defensemen, forwards). But those pools have point systems in place that add on points for PP points, SH points, +/-, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7886
( )

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  06:24:31  Reply with Quote
He went 24th overall in my pool where it's straight up 1 point = 1 point and nothing else. There's a couple that went before that raise eyebrows (Kessel, Kesler, etc.) but overall I think he's realistically one of the bubble boys for top 20.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2010 :  08:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest7886

He went 24th overall in my pool where it's straight up 1 point = 1 point and nothing else. There's a couple that went before that raise eyebrows (Kessel, Kesler, etc.) but overall I think he's realistically one of the bubble boys for top 20.

I could see him being 20th - 25th and i'd even say Kessel's got a shot at that same range. Kesler, prob would take a round or 2 later.
Go to Top of Page

Yewcandoit
Rookie

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  02:58:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not in the Top 12 as far as point production. But I would pick him as one of the top 12 two way players in the league.
Go to Top of Page

doublechamp7
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
278 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2010 :  17:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might pick him top 12, in a pool with my friends he was picked 7th overall and now the guy who picked him is trying to trade him
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2010 :  08:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Straight points, no.

Kaner would go before Toews in Straight points, and even Kane wouldn't make a lot of top 12 lists (although he's on mine).

I do however firmly beleive that Toews is a top 20 forward, but not because of his straight points. Without Captain Serious, Chicago wouldn't have them fancy rings this year.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2010 :  19:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

If you are talking straight points for goals and assists and nothing for +/- or PK or anything else, then no. Toews would not be in my top 12.

It's unfortunate that the best all around players get punished for being able to do things other than score.

Did you forget about Datsyuk????

I would not pick Toews because he is not top a top 12 Forward. But the reason why people pick Toews is because he doesn't get injured (Besides that one Concussion) and no matter what he is going to get over 70 points.

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  07:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, he's one of the best players in the game but not in a top 12 in points kind of way.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  11:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would not pick Toews because he is not top a top 12 Forward. But the reason why people pick Toews is because he doesn't get injured (Besides that one Concussion) and no matter what he is going to get over 70 points.

Toews has has only played one full season in the NHL out of 3, and has never scored 70 points in any of his years in the NHL.

But other than that, you are correct.
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  13:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:

Toews has has only played one full season in the NHL out of 3, and has never scored 70 points in any of his years in the NHL.

But other than that, you are correct.

Proves im not a Chicago fan :)

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

Utemin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
451 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  13:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People picked Toews because most people watched the Olympics and are all saying Toews is so AWESOME. When in the NHL he shows his presence as a Two-Way player.
(Come back Responce)

The Monkey is me
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2010 :  15:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the question was not "is Toews a good player", the question was "would you pick him him in your pool as one of your top 12 forwards". Good 2-way play and PK ability and leadership do not factor into that analysis.

Go to Top of Page

Yewcandoit
Rookie

Canada
115 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2010 :  23:31:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He is a great 2 way player, probably top 5.

Unfortunately, that doesnt mean he is a top 12 scorer.

Go to Top of Page

Probert
Top Prospect

Canada
4 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  03:30:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The playoffs do funny things to players. You never know who is going to get hot for the second season. But no I dont think he is top 12 material even though he is a great sniper

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Guest2218
( )

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  09:33:51  Reply with Quote
Interestingly enough, Toews ended up tied for 12th in regular season scoring this year.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4651
( )

Posted - 04/12/2011 :  15:16:40  Reply with Quote
ok guys who is ur top 10 in your pool's.???
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page