Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 Bruins Re-Sign Chara Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  09:43:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Boston Bruins have resigned Zdeno Chara to a 7 year, $45 million contract !
What do you guys think about it ?
Too much? Not enough? Too long? What do you guys think !
I think Chara is still one of the top defencemen in the league !
However, i think four or five years down the road, his age is gonna catch up to him !
It will be interesting to see how he keeps up with all the new talent coming into the league.

Edited by - willus3 on 10/09/2010 09:51:59

Guest4131
( )

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  10:58:50  Reply with Quote
I agree - a bit too long. I think a 4 yr deal at around 25mil would have been better for the Bruins so they could re-evaluate his value in the 2014-15 season. But I figure Chara wanted a lenghtier contract and thats why it went up to 7 years. He is worth the 6.4 mil a year for the next 3-4 years, but beyond that - i have some doubts...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  07:03:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chara is 33 today and is definitely one of the elite 10 defensemen in hockey. The key to his play is size, not speed, which does not diminish with age. However, he is not the most mobile guy today and that will begin to digress.

I was a little bit surprised with the length of this deal as well. When one considered Chara and Bergeron's recent signinging, Boston has $47 million committed to 15 players for next year. Not sure what they will do with their cap. Maybe be another NJ and have so many cap issues that they can't even have players in the press box and if someone is hurt they play with a short bench.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  09:06:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure about all the contracts they have and with NFL Countdown on, i'm too lazy to look it up, but imagine a few years down the road if they have to buck up for Seguin? What will their cap situation be then???
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  13:23:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was a little bit surprised with the length of this deal as well. When one considered Chara and Bergeron's recent signinging, Boston has $47 million committed to 15 players for next year. Not sure what they will do with their cap. Maybe be another NJ and have so many cap issues that they can't even have players in the press box and if someone is hurt they play with a short bench.

According to capgeek, they have 17 players committed for 47-49M (bonuses) - that is a bit more manageable I think. They'll need to sign 6 more players with 10-12M in cap space, I think they can do it.

They have no-one to resign next year that will make more than they do this year - Ryder, Sturm, Stuart, and Recchi all come off the books, and will be replaced with cheaper options. Wheeler - it depends on how he does this year. And if they can get rid of Thomas anytime soon, that will free up even more space.

I think Boston is in OK shape with the cap.
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  18:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the deal for Chara, personally.

Chara can provide a well-rounded defensive game. He has a long reach, will block shots, can fight and will fight if need be, is a leader (on and off the ice), has a strong work ethic, hits with the best of them, plays positional hockey (as he needs to, due to size), can skate for his size, has a hard shot (hardest in league perhaps), and will put up some points. You don't ask for more out of your player.

At a $6.5M CAP hit (roughly), I like it. You lock him in for his career, as you should. He's a franchise d-man, in my opinion. His play will diminish slightly, as he ages. But all players do, for the most part. He'll still be valuable at the last 2-3 years of his contract, just not AS valuable as he is today. But that's part of keeping your franchise player now.

Irvine/prez.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page