Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Rink Stink!
 Hockey Pools Do's and Don'ts Part III Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The 4th Line Banger
Top Prospect

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  18:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my final installment of my draft do's and don't, I want to talk about some hockey pool etiquette.

There is nothing worse than going to a draft that lasts 5 hours. It’s foolish and disrespectful to people’s time. If you are in a draft, make sure you are prepared. Come with your lists or a magazine or whatever, a pen, and a few piece of paper. Keep up with who you want and who has been picked. Always have 2-3 picks in your head and if one of them gets picked, throw another player in the queue. Your friends will appreciate the speed of your picks when you are selecting between 2-3 players rather than the 800+ that are remaining on the board. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page, set a time limit for picks. I would say nothing more than 2 minutes. Even at 2 minutes a pick, a 12 person draft with 12 players per team will take nearly 5 hours if everyone takes the full time for each pick. It's not likely to happen, but still. It can and has in the past.

Also, don’t be the guy who confidently picks a player who was already drafted. You'll look like a complete tool.

Finally, do not, under any circumstances, listen to projections as they are guesses and nothing more. The guys writing in magazines or on websites are likely not as smart as you. More often than not, projections are dead wrong. Specifically with rookies and young players. Trust your instincts, go with players who have performed historically, and above all have some fun. That’s the point in the first place.

Enjoy you draft and the new season.

Have an opinion on The Fourth Line Banger's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page