Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 What is the strongest division? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  18:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
My vote goes to the central, two stanley cup contenders (Chicago and Detroit), perhaps the ultimate sleeper (Nashville), ateam that is always in the hunt (St. Louis), and a good team that is building for the future (Colombus).

What do you think?

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".

Choices:

Northeast
Atlantic
Southeast
Northwest
Central
Pacific

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  20:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the pacific for the 2010/11 season. Two powerhouse teams (Sharks and Kings), one upstart team performing way above expectations (Stars), one coming off a fantastic season with a record number of wins and a really hot goalie (Coyotes), and one that boasts one of the best Top lines in the entire league (Ducks)

Central would be my second choice out west.

Out of the east, and I never thought I'd say this, but the Southeast looks like the strongest division in that conference.

-Washington. Best Offense in the league

-Tampa. 2nd best? Offense in the league. Open to arguments on that one

-Carolina. Strong team that many people under estimate thanks to a slew of injuries.

-Florida. On the rebuild for sure, but still a bubble team that can surprise a lot of people.

-Atlanta. Another bubble team that is taking advantage of the leavings of the Stanley cup Hawks. Definitely not playing like I thought they would.

When I look at the entire eastern conference I don't see another division that is quite as stacked. Atlantic and Northeast do not seem strong beyond 3 teams in each.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also vote the Pacific, for pretty much the same reason as HawkInOilCountry - there are 4 teams that have a legitimate shot at making the post season (LA, SJ, ANA, PHX), and DAL is actually doing quite well so far.

In the East, the Atlantic division *would* have been my guess in September - PHI, PIT, NJ should have been competing for 3 of the top 5 spots in the division. We'll see how things pan out.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  21:52:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who on earth voted NE? After BOS, what potential top-4 conference team is there?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  22:46:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

who on earth voted NE? After BOS, what potential top-4 conference team is there?

The North east sent 4 of 5 teams to the playoffs last year... one to the conference finals. The habs Bruins and Sabres are all very good bets to make the post season again this year and honestly either the leafs or sens could surprise and step into the post season aswell... thats is again 4 of 5 teams... hence strong division

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2010 :  23:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Patsy, true enough - but that was last year. Do you think that the NE will send 4 teams to the postseason this year? I think only 2 - BOS plus one of BUF or MTL.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  00:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Patsy, true enough - but that was last year. Do you think that the NE will send 4 teams to the postseason this year? I think only 2 - BOS plus one of BUF or MTL.

i think barring extrem injury Boston Montreal and Buf should all be there, Miller will put Buf on his back and walk into the post season, and I think the habs are one of the better teams in the east

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Awesome One
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
505 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  06:25:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

i think barring extrem injury Boston Montreal and Buf should all be there, Miller will put Buf on his back and walk into the post season, and I think the habs are one of the better teams in the east

Pasty

I just don't see either the Sabres or the Habs making it.
I assume there will be an off chance that Boston will be the only Northeast team in the playoffs.

There was once a license plate in Toronto that abbreviated "Go Leafs" it read "Golfs".
Go to Top of Page

HawkinOilCountry
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
318 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  15:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the pacific division, there are 3 teams that I will be surprised to NOT see in the playoffs this year (San Jose, LA, Phoenix) and 2 teams that could fight for 7th-8th seed right to the end.

Central has the former champ Hawks, the perennial contender in Detroit, and Nashville and St Louis are strong bubble teams. Columbus is the odd man out in this division.

Northeast is see a major contender in Boston, a bubble team in Montreal and Buffalo, and two long odds to even qualify in Ottawa and Toronto.

I'm not optimistic enough to beleive Toronto will go from 15th to 7th or 8th in the east. But prove me wrong Leafs, prove me wrong.

The arena wall in chicago should be credited with a goal.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  21:54:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Awesome One

quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

Pasty

I just don't see either the Sabres or the Habs making it.
I assume there will be an off chance that Boston will be the only Northeast team in the playoffs.

Miller is a safe bet to win 35 games , that means his back up Lalime (who is a pretty decent backup) only has to win 5 and that should put the Sabres in the playoffs,,, and as for my habs , i agree they are a bubble team one of 5 or 6 that will be competeing for the final 3 spots but i think on paper right through the lineup they are a better team than they were a year ago, i think they will finish 7th to 5th

Pasty
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2010 :  22:41:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinOilCountry

With the pacific division, there are 3 teams that I will be surprised to NOT see in the playoffs this year (San Jose, LA, Phoenix) and 2 teams that could fight for 7th-8th seed right to the end.

Really, you're THAT high on Phoenix making it this year? I dunno, i just don't see it, but then again, i didn't see it coming last year either?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  05:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the northeast has Boston, and last year they sent 4 of 5 . . . but Buffalo was a weak team with an outstanding goalie, and Ottawa was a fluke, and . . . the Leafs were beat up on by all.

This year, I think it might be Boston and a couple of bubble teams, pick two of Montreal, Buffalo and Toronto.

Speaking of the Southeast and the scoring there, you know who leads the conference in goals for as of this very moment? That's right, it's the . . . Atlanta Thrashers?!? Bizarre, but true. Even funnier is, they lead in goals scored and have still managed to let in even more . . . so no, I don't think Atlanta is a bubble team. There, for me, it'll be Washington and Tampa Bay, and that's it.

So if there's two from the Southeast, and three from the Northeast, there must be three from the Atlantic, where'd I'd have to think that Philly and Pittsburgh make it, New Jersey comes back to make it, and the New Yorks are bubble teams.

I still think the Atlantic is the strongest division in the East, but the gap is not as large as before, with bottome feeders in the other two divisions improving greatly. I think it'll be a very, very tight race to the playoffs there.

Which leaves the West, where there has to be at least one division with four teams that make the playoffs, right?

Pacific - San Jose, LA will be there for sure. Dallas, maybe, but we'd have to check back after the holidays to see where they're at then.

Vancouver is a given, and if Colorado keeps up its strong play, they are in as well. Minnesota is a crapshoot and may be a bubble team the way they are playing, but I still think they'll miss out, and Calgary and Edmonton may be two of the weaker teams this year (boy, when has that ever happened, eh?).

Then, we have the Central - Chicago, Detroit, a big bounceback season from St.Louis coming, the ever-pesky Preds, and an improving Columbus team. Two make the playoffs for sure, and three very probable with St.Louis and the Preds fighting it out to the end. This may be the only division with a chance to send 4 to the dance.

My vote is the Central.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page