Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 Boston - Well, now what? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  02:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I've seen just about enough points slip down the toilet with this team. They are the Dr, Jeckyl / Mr. Hyde team if ever I saw one. Who's gonna show up? Who knows?

It's becoming obvious this team needs to shake it up somehow. Is it a coaching change? Trade? Deal with the devil?

And I don't want to hear Ryder has to go, along with Wheeler deals. These 2 are actually miles ahead of last season.

Ference, Paille, Marchant....... We have lots o' talent waiting to come up or be moved in packages.

Your thoughts?

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 01/10/2011 02:07:36

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  03:36:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this team is in third place?

I think this is just a case of the habs were on a slide and needed to win so the hockey gods gave them a lucky bounce on the Gomez goal, the Bruins have one of the best lineup's in the east and have the best goalie in the east their is no doubt in my mind the Bruins will win the NorthEast this is not to underestimate the Habs who will make them earn their 3rd place seed, I don't think there is a need to do anything drastic just yet, Personnaly I agree with you about Ryder he is a very underated hockey player and too often is the whipping boy when things go sour!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker

Edited by - Pasty7 on 01/10/2011 03:39:47
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  05:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I think for starters that your team is still the big bad Bruins - tough to play against, and a top contender.

That being said, they are not defensively what they used to be, especially against decent offensive teams . . . and who knows why? Is it Chara getting odler? Do they miss Wideman, who is perhaps better than anyone thought in Boston? I am not sure, but it could be some of both and more . . .

I still say it's mid season, and when the final standings roll up, it'll be Boston in 1st, well ahead of Montreal. Their solid defensive style plays much better for tighter games down the stretch, and they have a lot of veterans who I think are really only preparing themselves for the playoffs.

I don't think your team needs a big deal, unless someone is willing to overpay for Wheeler or sell the farm for a Krejci (see: Toronto! ).

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  05:45:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Well, I think for starters that your team is still the big bad Bruins - tough to play against, and a top contender.

That being said, they are not defensively what they used to be, especially against decent offensive teams . . . and who knows why? Is it Chara getting odler? Do they miss Wideman, who is perhaps better than anyone thought in Boston? I am not sure, but it could be some of both and more . . .

I still say it's mid season, and when the final standings roll up, it'll be Boston in 1st, well ahead of Montreal. Their solid defensive style plays much better for tighter games down the stretch, and they have a lot of veterans who I think are really only preparing themselves for the playoffs.

I don't think your team needs a big deal, unless someone is willing to overpay for Wheeler or sell the farm for a Krejci (see: Toronto! ).

the habs will finish within 6 points behind the bruins is my prediction which is a healthy lead but not well ahead

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  06:26:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan 1 - SO loss 7 - 6 (Buff) SOG - Bos 40 Buff 35
Jan 3 Win 2 - 1 (T.O.) SOG T.O. 37 Bos 33
Jan 6 Loss 3 - 1 (Minn) SOG Bos 36 Minn 34
Jan 8 O.T. Loss 3 - 2 (Mont) SOG Bos 29 Mon 42

For these 4 games in Jan Bos has been outshot 148 to 138.
These aren't exactly cup contending teams, Bos is relying to much on TT and the D. Which isn't exactly working out great.

Boston is also tied with 7 O.T. games in the conference. So, in order to come out as a true leader, something has to be done. Either the offence has to be bolstered or a strong puck mover on D is needed.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  06:39:24  Reply with Quote
the bruins are just fine - they'll be there in the finals for eastern conference.
if they do make a move, i believe they'll go after some defence support, Thomas is the only "defence" they have right now and he may just keep going all the way
.... unless they choke again?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  07:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, Boston is fine. They are still the best defensive team in the NHL (Fewest goals against) and are in the top 10 in virtually every other important measurement.

Don't get too hung up on the regular season. If you look back historically, unless you team is the Red Wings, rarely does the President's Trophy winner go on to win the Cup. Look at last season with Chicago and Philly, neither being the top seed in their conference going into the playoffs.

Boston will be fine and I would suggest will either win that division or be in 6th or better. They are extremely tough to play against and there are not many teams that will beat them in 4 out of 7 games.

Boston is still my pick to make it to the Cup in the East.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2861
( )

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  07:13:55  Reply with Quote
Boston will win the division and with a bit of luck( ie not having to play Montreal in the playoffs) have a real go at it in April and May.
Go to Top of Page

TheRC
Rookie

105 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  09:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say a slightly underperforming Boston squad is still equal to Montreal playing at their level. Considering that Montreal has cooled off a bit of late and has some injuries to worry about, I wouldn't be all that worried about Boston keeping their place at the top of the NE. As a Boston fan I would rather have my slump in the middle of the season than at the end, or during the playoffs. Try not to worry.

"If at first you don't succeed, you fail"
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:29:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about sending that first round pick back to T.O. for Kaberle? It would be amusing to see the Leafs tank every game for the remainder of the season.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2011.

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 01/10/2011 12:47:10
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2011 :  12:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well ahead? Well considering that it is the halfway point and they are tied, and considering that the Habs are 3-0 against the Bruins, I think this just may be wishful thinking on your part. As I predicted, they will have a slump, which they just did, and will come out of it fine on the other end, which they are starting to do. The holidays are over and they are back to business. you talk of solid defensive style, when the fact of the matter is that the Habs have apretty solid defensive style of their own that you seem to be overlooking. On top of that, they are doing it w/o their top offensive d-man, and recently w/o who may very well be their best defender in Georges.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  03:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto fans will HAVE to get over it. Boston is NOT going to give you back the 1st round pick, period.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  05:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Odin

[quote][i]
Well ahead? Well considering that it is the halfway point and they are tied, and considering that the Habs are 3-0 against the Bruins, I think this just may be wishful thinking on your part. As I predicted, they will have a slump, which they just did, and will come out of it fine on the other end, which they are starting to do. The holidays are over and they are back to business. you talk of solid defensive style, when the fact of the matter is that the Habs have apretty solid defensive style of their own that you seem to be overlooking. On top of that, they are doing it w/o their top offensive d-man, and recently w/o who may very well be their best defender in Georges.

Well, considering that you only post to contradict myself and others, and the fact that you are a Habs fan looking at inflated mid-season standings, I'd say you are the one that is dreaming.

Montreal will sink on the inflated great start of Price coming back down to earth; on the realisation that their defence isn't that good; and the fact that their top sniper isn't having that great a season.

But that's all moot anyways, as this is a Bruins thread.

Go to Top of Page

Guest9885
( )

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  03:44:02  Reply with Quote
Maybe get Nathan Horton together with a pair of jumper cables. The old Florida days where he could be streaky are over. Unless of course 4 million is the going rate for a 50 point season. Time for him and the rest of the big boys to get it together.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  03:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote][i]

Well, considering that you only post to contradict myself and others, and the fact that you are a Habs fan looking at inflated mid-season standings, I'd say you are the one that is dreaming.

Montreal will sink on the inflated great start of Price coming back down to earth; on the realisation that their defence isn't that good; and the fact that their top sniper isn't having that great a season.

I'm sorry when do the habs get any credit? they have more wins then the bruins (all be it with 1 more game played) the only thing that has the Bruins ahead of the habs point wise is they pushed a few more games into ot... Again i have been a realiste wghen it came to the habs all along i have never once even mentioned they will win the North east but they will not finish well behind the Bruins and will push the Bruins untill the end,, the habs are getting goals from everyone and stopping enough to win a lot of games, but what have they over achieved for the first half of the season? why are they all of a sudden going to fall apart? what if they step it up a notch why is that so beyond possible? after 82 games if the habs finish 6th with 2 points between them and the Bruins what will be the excuse then? its a fluke they over achieved bla bla bla

Go to Top of Page

Guest4271
( )

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  07:15:21  Reply with Quote
Boy has Patrice Bergeron ever stepped up his game in the last two weeks. The addition of Brad Marchand to his line has lit a fire under Bergeron. Nice to see him get his Hat trick goal last night.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  07:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya, good job on Bergy. Was pretty funny when all the hats came down and then announce it was Marchant's goal!! Marchant made up for it though and set Bergy up for his hatrick a little later on.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 01/12/2011 08:18:56
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  08:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2861

Boston will win the division and with a bit of luck( ie not having to play Montreal in the playoffs) have a real go at it in April and May.

Why not Montreal in the playoffs? I believe they swept them last time they met in the post season, not to mention the rivalry between the 2 teams is unmatched these days (Pit / Was is getting close tho) I'd like nothing better than these 2 to meet in the playoffs!!
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  09:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote][i]

Contradict others? Like who? There are many who say that the Habs are doing just fine thankyou. Do I dream that the Habs are going to win the cup? Just like you do with your Leafs? You bet, that's what being a fan is. This is a Bruins thread? Who effing cares! You mention the habs to take a gratuitous cheapshot at them, then they are fair game to be rementioned. Considering the way Price has played and is playing, I just think you have a hate on for the Habs because his stats just don't bear you out. It really does sound like sour grapes on your part for your response.

I was really just calling you on your 'Bruins will finish well ahead of the Habs comment,' when just taking a cursory look at the standing says anything but. You jumped all over your earlier prediction about how right you were in another thread because they had a little hardship during the holidays, I was just returning the favour. You must be sick to your stomach with Price going back to the ASG. LOL!

Edited by - Odin on 01/12/2011 11:56:59
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  09:34:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo "on the realisation that their defence isn't that good;"

Sorry, I just noticed this comment. Are you out to lunch? Many consider that to bve the habs strength, and the fact that they have the number one PK, and have allowed the 3rd least amount of goals just bears out absolutely nothing you say. It sounds like a whole pile of hate from a hater.
Go to Top of Page

Odin
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
350 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  09:40:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

quote:

quote:

[quote][i]

I'm sorry when do the habs get any credit? they have more wins then the bruins (all be it with 1 more game played) the only thing that has the Bruins ahead of the habs point wise is they pushed a few more games into ot... Again i have been a realiste wghen it came to the habs all along i have never once even mentioned they will win the North east but they will not finish well behind the Bruins and will push the Bruins untill the end,, the habs are getting goals from everyone and stopping enough to win a lot of games, but what have they over achieved for the first half of the season? why are they all of a sudden going to fall apart? what if they step it up a notch why is that so beyond possible? after 82 games if the habs finish 6th with 2 points between them and the Bruins what will be the excuse then? its a fluke they over achieved bla bla bla

Absolutely Pasty, couldn't have said it better myself, but I guess I am just contradicting you. I am shaking my head as to when exactly it is that they are going to meltdown as well, espeically considering they way they have been playing lately. I think I addressed most points in my previous post, and it seems that there really is only one poster who has taken this line. I guess we just have to consider the source: saying the sniper is having a bad year when we really don't have one, its has been balanced scoring throughout the year as you pointed out, plus the fact that I guess the Habs have a terrible defense with the #1 PK as well as the 3rd least amount of goals allowed. If thats terrible, I would like to see what his definition of good is, because it sure ain't that 'vaunted' Leafs defense.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  20:32:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although Boston does have a very good hockey team....i would like to see them play a season with a combination of Giguere and the monster between the pipes...wonder if they would win the division ?

See how long it would take for fans to start picking holes in their team. Reimer has the leafs on fire...hope it lasts.

Goal-tending dictates team play ( more offensive gambling ) fills a team with confidence.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  20:43:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Although Boston does have a very good hockey team....i would like to see them play a season with a combination of Giguere and the monster between the pipes...wonder if they would win the division ?

They probably wouldn't be doing nearly as well as they're doing now. That being said, BOS has a better team in front of the goalie than TOR does, so they wouldn't be as bad as TOR...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2011 :  21:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Prob never know cuz the Leafs only give away GOOD players, prospects and picks. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  02:09:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder how Toronto would be playing with, say, a goalie like Rask? Oh, wait a minute............. :)
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  04:20:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToXXiK1

Wonder how Toronto would be playing with, say, a goalie like Rask? Oh, wait a minute............. :)

BURN!

Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  04:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

this reminded me i was at a jays red sox's game this year in Toronto and was sitting behind a Red Sox's fan from boston wearing a Tyler Seguin Jersey with the words thank you taped on it,, needless to say the Torontonian's were not impressed, i loved it!!

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  04:50:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a cut out from an NHL magazine cover of Rask taped to my office window with a sticky note that reads " Thank you Toronto" on it. Not very popular at my workplace !!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  06:49:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha ha, funny stuff . . . especially considering that Rask never played one game fro Toronto, as he constantly mentions whenever interviewed about this crap. He was traded as a prospect, and good for him - he has flourished.

Oh, and to get back on topic: the Bruins are going to be just fine unfortunately, they will finish well ahead of Montreal, and the meltdown is currently happening RIGHT NOW (for the Habs).

Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  07:39:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slozo, I never mentioned he ever played for Toronto?
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  08:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toxx, i still reamber cursing on JFJ the day he traded Rask for that dam Raycroft. This trade bothers me a lot more than the kessel trade.

For Rask we got nothing. At least for a Seguin we got a STAR player in return. Again i keep reminding people...it wasn`t kessel for Seguin...it was kessel for a draft pick. Who knew at the time it would be 2nd overall.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  08:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ha ha, funny stuff . . . especially considering that Rask never played one game fro Toronto, as he constantly mentions whenever interviewed about this crap. He was traded as a prospect, and good for him - he has flourished.

Oh, and to get back on topic: the Bruins are going to be just fine unfortunately, they will finish well ahead of Montreal, and the meltdown is currently happening RIGHT NOW (for the Habs).

RIGHT NOW? Huh? Didn't they just win 3 straight games? Isn't 3 one less than the Leafs current 4 game win streak which has sparked parade talk???
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  08:59:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know why people keep knocking that trade. Boston got an unproven goalie in the minors and Toronto got the Rookie of the Year one year removed due to injury. Also, Toronto hasn't had a goalie other than Belfour, to match his wins in 1 season.

Raycroft - 37
Belfour - 37
Cujo - 36
Potvin - 34
Fuhr - 25
Toskala - 33

This yr: Gustavson - 16
Jiggy - 6

So, at the time, it wasn't such a bad deal. He played 72 games in 2006-7 to post 37 wins, 2007-8 he played 19 as Toronto decided Toskala was the man. That didn't work out so well. Chased Razor out of town, and Belfour is considered a saint? Hmmmmmm......

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 01/13/2011 09:44:30
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  09:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Toxx, i still reamber cursing on JFJ the day he traded Rask for that dam Raycroft. This trade bothers me a lot more than the kessel trade.

For Rask we got nothing. At least for a Seguin we got a STAR player in return. Again i keep reminding people...it wasn`t kessel for Seguin...it was kessel for a draft pick. Who knew at the time it would be 2nd overall.

Ummm, no one did know for certain but there were tons of people outside of the GTA that has some very strong assumptions it would be a lottery pick.

And you are right, it was not Kessel for Seguin. It was Kessel for 2-1st round and a 2nd round draft pick. So, to this point, it was Kessel for a lottery pick, a very high likelihood for another lottery pick, and a very high 2nd round pick in a year with only 29 players picked in the first round.

I love when this trade is justified. Every time it's justified it puts a great big smile on my face. Although, it might not be as big as the smile on Peter Chiarelli's face.

Hey, has anyone seen that A+ prospect for the Leafs, Nazem Kadri lately??? I wonder what he is up to these days?? Hope he's in the gym bulking up as his 170 lb frame is expected to carry the Leaf Nation all the way to the Cup.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  09:52:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Kessel trade is getting to be an old, tired debate. Boston was never going to sign Kessel, he wanted out, demanded big coin and Boston wasn't going to pay that much for a 1 dimensional player. (Kessel was benched during the playoffs because he wouldn't go south of the red line). So, Boston was going to trade him regardless, just a matter of to who. Toronto had the option of waiting until Kessel's contract ran out and try to sign him then, but got to antsy thinking someone else would beat them to it. At the time, there's a snowball's chance in hell BB does the trade knowing how high the pick was going to be. I don't think anyone in the league saw the trainwreck season Toronto had coming. Sure, top 15 pick maybe, but 2nd? Great for Boston and great for Toronto getting the sniper they wanted. The kick in the teeth will be this season if Toronto doesn't stop sending the wives out to play, suck it up and play like they look on paper, a decent playoff spot contending team. Otherwise, unproven or not, Boston comes out better with 2 lottery picks, period. Because at the end of the day, Kessel can score 60 goals, but, last place is still last place.

Edited by - ToXXiK1 on 01/13/2011 09:54:06
Go to Top of Page

Mario 66
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
360 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  13:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Toronto looks good on paper??? What paper is that?? The St Louis Blues & Boston Bruins also known as the leafs real farm systems look good on paper the leafs line up looks good on toilet paper.

Lemieux owns Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  13:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice comment half way thru the season Mario. On paper this team should be a lot better was my statement. Try a comment before they tank.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9270
( )

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  15:36:00  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice comment half way thru the season Mario. On paper this team should be a lot better was my statement. Try a comment before they tank.

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  17:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your smile may be big for now Beans...lets see how big it is in a few years time when all those talented young Oilers want big $$$$$...yeah they got-em...lets see if they can keep them...personally i think they will be out-ta town fast enough, when the opportunity arises.

Anyway Leafs are on a RROOOOLLLLLLLLL...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  17:32:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your smile may be big for now Beans...lets see how big it is in a few years time when all those talented young Oilers want big $$$$$...yeah they got-em...lets see if they can keep them...personally i think they will be out-ta town fast enough, when the opportunity arises.

Anyway Leafs are on a RROOOOLLLLLLLLL...

Yup, could be a problem for sure. BUT, and this is a HUGE "but", isn't that a problem you'd want your team to have???
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2011 :  17:56:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously not if you are a Leaf fan. I guess you want a limited amount of really young, gifted talent with loads of potential to avoid the problem of having to sign all that talent. I guess it's better to trade off all of your draft picks for a single player because it's far easier to keep that one guys and let your competition reap the benefits of not only your draft picks but their own as well.

Yep, smart hockey management at it's finest.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page