Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Welcome To PickUpHockey.com
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Web site comments only
 WTH? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4109
( )

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  07:59:03  Reply with Quote
Each morning after I grab my coffee, I log on to this site to see how I'm doing in my hockey pool. As a member of a couple of NFL forums, I always check the latest posts on this sites forum. I am soured by the amount of bitching and complaining about the small details in the posts made here lately.

Whenever a new thread is started, the first thing the other posters do is comment on the location of the new thread. Then they usually follow that with a, "this needs it's own thread?" comment. There are also, far too many posters bitching about the spelling and sometimes the grammar. Then of course, the complaints about the actual content, which is the only legitimate bitch, cuz that's what a discussion forum is about. But by this time, like myself, any one who has thought about joining in the discussions here has had too many bad english class flashbacks, or has been reminded of their nagging mothers, and probably won't bother signing up. Too bad.

Oh yeah, Canucks are way better than the habs this year, get real!

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  08:56:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Guest 4109. I am sorry to hear that you feel this way about our forums. Our moderators try to keep the conversations flowing and will from time to time let people know when they are getting off track as forums can quickly go from a discussion on hockey to a medium for trolls and spammers. In order to keep these forums what they are intended to be - discussions about hockey, some guidelines need to be followed.

I understand your concerns about the spelling issue, but we feel it is important to be able to clearly determine someones take on an issue. Of course minor spelling issues are almost always corrected by the moderators, and never mentioned out loud. It also has to do with respecting your fellow community members.

The location of a thread is important as well. For example, this thread has nothing to do with hockey, but was posted in the General Hockey Chat Forum. I still think this is a topic for conversation, as these are your forums and everyone should be able to voice there opinions, and I will move this to the Web Site Comments forum. Furthermore, if someone is looking to talk about the Calgary Flames, the first place they will usually go is to the Calgary Flames Forum and should find relevant topics about the Flames there. I think that this promotes people to join our discussions, rather than discourages, as you have suggested.

I hope you do take the time to create an account an join our discussions. Although I disagree with it, your opinion is well received and I encourage you to use it to challenge some of the members here.

Admin.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2007 :  11:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4109

I am soured by the amount of bitching and complaining about the small details in the posts made here lately.

Whenever a new thread is started, the first thing the other posters do is comment on the location of the new thread. Then they usually follow that with a, "this needs it's own thread?" comment.

Well if the thread is one sentence like "Go Canucks" there is no need to make a whole new topic just so one member can shout out his opinion about his favorite team, especially if it's only 2 words long. That's ridiculous. And if there is a topic about the Penguins in the Sabres forum, people will post something as a heads-up to the author that they posted it in the wrong place and a hint to pay attention next time.

quote:
There are also, far too many posters bitching about the spelling and sometimes the grammar.

We aren't "bitching", we're telling members to quit being so lazy and look up the spelling of Miikka Kiprusoff's or Alexei Ponikarovsky's name or to stop writing stuff like "i agree wiht u teh canucks r doing bad rite now". As Admin said, that's about respecting the other members here and to show that you actually read Admin's Sticky topic about this not being MSN messenger. Members will point this out to people who spell stuff wrong not to be bitches but to remind them to spell stuff correctly to keep the forum's quality high like it states in the forum rules which I'll bet half the people here haven't read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page