Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Hemsky injury Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2011 :  22:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting article below regarding the way the Oilers handled Ales Hemsky over the past week or two. Apparently they're not sure when he even got concussed and it could be an accumulation of blows he took over the past 6 or so games?

There's questions being thrown around as to whether the Oilers coaching staff and / or medical team have either misdiagnosed him and / or acted irresponsibly in allowing him to play?

Beans, what's the word around town?

Link to article: http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/19/ales-hemsky-knocked-out-of-game-with-concussion-did-oilers-staff-make-a-big-mistake/

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2011 :  22:44:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the biggest band aids in the league, hopefully he doesn't play in the all star game and they put someone in who actually deserves to be there, like Selanne
Go to Top of Page

Guest3170
( )

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  08:58:36  Reply with Quote
hemsky deserves to be there, he was left out 5 straight years. and why is kessel there?
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  09:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I took Hemsky in my pool again this year (had him last season as well when he only played 22 games). It's frustrating, he's such a good player when healthy & should be an annual 30/80 scorer, but he's had such a bad run of injuries in recent years.

Speaking of my pool, i've been just ravaged by injuries this year...of my 18 players i currently have 7 sitting on the sidelines! Needless to say, i'm not doing to well lol...

Zach Parise
Evgeni Malkin
Jason Spezza
Ales Hemsky
Andy McDonald
Steve Sullivan
Erik Christensen
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2011 :  10:47:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As far as this injury and the story goes, the Oilers medical staff is doing their job just fine. From having a little inside (very little) from having personal knoweldge of a therapist working at the Glen Sather sports Medicine clinic in Edmonton, the Oilers receive world class medical treatment.

Secondly, from what we know about concussions, it's a crap shoot in a lot of cases. No one is questioning Pitts trainers for allowing Crosby to play after the hit he took in the Winter Classic are they?? No one said anything about Boston allowing Savard to play in the playoffs last season and then missing a big chunk of time at the start of the season??

If Hemsky had a concussion in an earlier game it obviously was missed. The Oilers are be in a egative social and legal position if they know about an injury and do not disclose it and allow a player to play.

Hemsky has been very unlucky with injuries in the past few seasons. He does have the skill and talent to be a 70ish point guy year over year if he could just stay healthy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page