Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 Vancouver Canucks +/- Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2011 :  23:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking over some stats tonight and was impressed that the Canucks were a +60 in goal differential this season so far. FYI the closest team to them are the Flyers at +45.

But what was even more impressive than that, was the fact that the Canucks currently have 5 players in the top 10 in the +/- category; 6 in the top 13. Here they are in order...

1 - Kevin Bieksa +26
2 - Ryan Kesler +25
4 - Daniel Sedin + 24
9 - Henrik Sedin +22
10 - Alex Burrows +22
13 - Dan Hamhuis + 21

I know plus/minus is a controversial statistic but regardless, this type of domination does begin to demonstrate the depth of this team.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  07:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a perfect example of the challenge with the +/- stat. Last season, Washington had the biggest goal differential (+85, with Chicago being the next closest with +62) and had 7 players in the top 15 in +/-. However, the difference between the two teams is that last season, Washington by far the best offensive team but were 16th in defense. Comparatively, this season Vancouver is not only the 2nd best offensive team but is also the very best defensive team.

What the point?? +/- is an effective stat in looking at goal differential. It is NOT a defensive stat in all cases nor an offensive stat in all cases. There is more than one way to have a good +/- number. And for the team with the most players in the top of the category, it makes sense that the team with the biggest goal differenial also has the most players at the top of the category.
Go to Top of Page

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  08:59:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off topic in that it has nothing to do with Vancouver, but check out the Anaheim Ducks +/- this season. Toni Lydman leads the way at +27, and then the next closest Duck is Lubomir Visnovskvy at +7, crazy. And then at the bottom is Cam Fowler at -20.

Edited by - ryan93 on 02/20/2011 09:00:29
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  10:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

.....What the point?? +/- is an effective stat in looking at goal differential. It is NOT a defensive stat in all cases nor an offensive stat in all cases. There is more than one way to have a good +/- number. And for the team with the most players in the top of the category, it makes sense that the team with the biggest goal differenial also has the most players at the top of the category.

Let me break it down so it's simple. If your team is all negatives, you have a problem. I know that I would prefer to have a career consistently in the plus rather than the negative, hopefully significantly in the plus. You could say that the individual Canucks players have a great +/- because their goal differential is high, or you could take the opposite position, the fact that their goal differential is higher is because their individual +/- high. Anyway I've always argued that plus/minus is a better statistic when viewed over time. You can get a better pinpoint on a player's true contribution because there is opportunity to view their stats with multiple line-ups and even multiple teams; so you can see trends and weed out anomalous seasons.

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2011 :  10:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vancouver's individual +/-'s this year has been impressive. However, I'm a bit surprised that they are so high, given that we seem to score and allow an awful lot of our goals on the PP, where no plus or minus is given. Last night is the first night I can remember where the Canucks have scored so many goals without a PP marker. According to stats, they have scored 145 goals even strength or EN, and allowed 103 even strength.

They have been awesome to watch this year though, they are sooooo good defensively even strength. Great ability to take the puck away and control in their own end, fantastic ability to clear the zone via many options, and then Luongo there to bail you out when the defense makes a rare mistake. They just don't allow a lot of even strength goals, which I suppose explains the good +/-.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page