Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Dallas
 Sergei Zubov Calling it a Career Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9836
( )

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  11:02:01  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
I always liked Zubov, and thought he was a bit underatted (Similar to Visnovsky now). The question now is will he make it to the Hall?

Some career highlights (Thanks Wikipedia):
2 Stanley Cups (94 Rangers, 99 Stars)
1 Gold Medal (92 Albertville)
1 Gold WJC (89), 1 Silver WJC (90)
All time high scoring Russian-born defenceman in the NHL
2nd Team Star 2006, 2006 Norris Finalist (lost to Lidstrom who had 16 goals, 80 pts in 80 games)
All Star game 98, 99, 00

1068 NHL Career Games in 16 seasons
152 Goals, 619 Assists, 771 Pts, +148Career (11 Seasons over 10 goals, 11 consecutive 40+pt seasons)

164 NHL Playoff Games
24 Goals, 93 Assists, 117 Pts, +28 Career

Best Seasons:
93-94: 12 goals, 77 assists, 89 Pts, +20
05-06: 13 goals, 58 assists, 71 Pts, +20 (11 years later)

Choices:

ryan93
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
996 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  12:24:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I voted no. The lack of any individual awards may hurt Zubov's cause. He was a very good defensemen for a long period of time (as your best season stats attest) though. 771 points in 1068 games is very impressive, especially considering a lot of his years were played in the so call "dead puck" era. Zubov also played a vital part in both Stanley Cup victories.

But unless someone can show me some comparitives (stat wise with no Norris Trophys)...i just don't see Zubov getting in.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  21:21:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ya Zubov is in. He is much like Brad Park or Denis Potvin. If they didn't play in the same time period of Bobby Orr they would have had a pile of Norris Trophies. Zubov was in a generation of Chris Pronger, Scott Neidermayer, and most of of Nik Lidstrom. Pretty hard to win many Norris trophies when you are playing with that group.

Seriously, 89 points in a season?? There are only about 10 defensemen in the history of the game to have a season like that. 11 straight seasons of more than 40 points?? Not to mention the season before that 11 seasons started he had 26 points in 38 games and 2 seasons before he had that 89 point season. Neidermayer doesn't have that!

Zubov was the best defensemen you never heard about during his career. He was awesome and hugely under-rated. I give him the HOF on the first ballot.

Edited by - Beans15 on 04/26/2011 21:23:00
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  21:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto beans comment. In the recent "draft" that Awesome One did on PUH, I picked up Zubov for my team. Before I chose him, I did extra research, and was just blown away by his stats.

@Beans: good guess, in fact, only 9 defencemen have scored more than 88pts in a single season: Orr, Coffey, MacInnis, Leetch, Potvin, Housley, Bourque, Gary Suter, and, of course, Sergei Zubov.

Those are some pretty illustrious names.

I don't know when he'll get into to the HHOF, but Zubov definitely will eventually.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  21:56:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should be a shoe in for the HOF, I'd reckon. Awesome clutch player too, often had him in my pools, especially in playoffs . . . for a d-man, he racked up the points.

And, cannot underestimate the "highest scoring d-man from Russia" thing . . . it certainly does add weight to his achievements, especially considering he survived through the dead puck era.

Great player.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2011 :  23:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think he's in too, but it probably won't be automatic, and may not be on his first ballot. He's one of the steadiest defensemen from my era anyway, a regular producer that played long enough to amass a lot of points in his career. 771 pts in 1068 games, thats very high for a defenseman in any era.

2 cups and some gold medals don't hurt. And to be the best at something (highest scoring Russian defenseman in this case) also helps.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page