Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Captain Canada wants to come home Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  15:12:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Bob Mackenzie, Smyth told the Kings he would prefer to rejoin the Oilers.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369517

It will be interesting to see what the Oilers do. Many fans would probably love to have him back, but I doubt Tambellini cares about that. I would love to see him back home, as long as we don't give up too much for him

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  16:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well this is a first - a player that is demanding a trade INTO Edmonton!

Sorry, could not resist...

I think its great that Smyth wants to return, but the reality is he is under contract to LA, and he's a big part of their offense - they're not going to give him away for nothing. Also, does EDM want him?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  18:54:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think many logically fans think this is pathetic. Seriously, Smyth and his maybe 50 points a season do nothing to make the team better. He had his chance. He was here in his prime and could never carry the team anywhere.

I personally think this is not only far fetched, but I would be very disappointed with the Oilers brass if they were to make a move to get Smyth back this year. If they want to go after him as a free agent and pay him something reasonable, fine. Wait until next year. To make a trade for a $6.5 million cap hit ($4.5 million salary) player who would not help your team in an way, shape, or form would be one of the dumbest hockey moves in hockey moves in the history of the game.

Unless a deal for Smyth included Schenn....
Go to Top of Page

polishexpress
PickupHockey Pro

525 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  19:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they could convince LA to offload some long term salary? Gilbert is a $4mil caphit until 2013/2014, and horcoff is a $5.5mil caphit until 2014/2015.

If Oilers could offload one of those two players for Ryan Smyth, that wouldn't be a bad move in terms of salary cap, because Smyth has the crazy $6.25mil caphit and $4.5mil salary for only one more year versus multiple years.
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  21:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I think many logically fans think this is pathetic. Seriously, Smyth and his maybe 50 points a season do nothing to make the team better. He had his chance. He was here in his prime and could never carry the team anywhere.

I personally think this is not only far fetched, but I would be very disappointed with the Oilers brass if they were to make a move to get Smyth back this year. If they want to go after him as a free agent and pay him something reasonable, fine. Wait until next year. To make a trade for a $6.5 million cap hit ($4.5 million salary) player who would not help your team in an way, shape, or form would be one of the dumbest hockey moves in hockey moves in the history of the game.

Unless a deal for Smyth included Schenn....

Beano that would depend ... if you have to give up a tonne to pick him up sure,,,, but i betya the Kings want to make a run at a big UFA ,,, Richards maybe and want to offload his big salary, they probably asked him out of respect if they werre to do that where would he like to go,,, that means if they want to move him for salary reasons they may not want much in return and leadership is key for a young team,, take him this year at 6.25 mil and next year sign him back for a reeasonable amount he is still an effective player don't give me that he doesn't help a team in any way shape or form ,, he's a top six forward on 30 of 30 teams, we re not talking about scott gomez here

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2011 :  21:26:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He might be a top 6 forward, but he's not a top 3 guy. Not on very many teams anyway. $6.5 million cap hit?? Like I said, he gives not benefit to the Oilers at this time. If was to sign as a UFA in the off season for say $3-$4 million for a couple of years, that's fine. But why make a trade for a guy who is currently over paid, is a UFA after this season, and is apparently interested in returning to the Oilers. He doesn't help them this season, not a bit. You can't honestly say that Ryan Smyth makes a non-playoff team a playoff team.

C'mon guys, it's a crap move.

Regardless, Smyth has already come out and said the story is not true. He has not asked for a deal, or he is at least retracting his story very quickly.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/Ryan+Smyth+denies+asked+traded+back+Oilers/4977570/story.html
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  05:18:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again Beans, everything a player says IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE - just sayin'.

And I disagree that he wouldn't help the Oil - I think he would, quite a bit, in fact. A guy to muck it up at the front of the net at times, and a guy to provide some leadership . . . he would look good on their second line.

However, as pointed out, he is WAY too expensive, and it would probably be foolish for the Oil to think about it. And as pointed out, yeah, he is still under contract to LA. But don't think LA might want to get rid of his unwieldy contract as well . . .

Seems like a longshot, but ya never know.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

sahis34
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
591 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  07:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd trade cogliano for smyth
Go to Top of Page

Guest4312
( )

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  07:35:43  Reply with Quote
lol trade khabibulin for smyth but thats about itdon't give away the future for the past
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2011 :  07:49:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the kind of crap I have to deal with as an Oiler fan. I don't think any fans in the NHL (including those Leafers) suggest more rediculous trades. Cogliano for Smyth?? Khabibulin for Smyth?? Heck, why don't the Oilers just package up Horcoff, Khabibulin, Cogliano, Gagner, and Gilbert for Doughty, Kopitar, Smyth, and Johnson??

News flash:

No NHL team wants garbage contracts any more than the Oilers do!!

Maybe I was a bit over-aggresive with my thought that Smyth does not help the Oilers at all. However, at $6.5 million cap hit, he adds little value. Even more importantly, who's spot does he take?? Taylor Hall??? Magnus Pajaarvi??? Potentially Hamilton, Omark, Hartikanen???

Unless Smyth can be signed next season for a lesser contract and accept a 3rd line role, it doesn't make the Oilers a better hockey team.
Go to Top of Page

Kirby
Top Prospect

Canada
66 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  00:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even though Smyth denies the rumour, Mackenzie is standing firm with his source. Also, I think the Oilers fans were saying they wpuldn't do it unless it was a steal, or at least I hope that's what they meant. I really hope we aren't that delusional.

Smyth would be a great role model for the young guys, showing them the effort it takes to be a winner. A 3rd line role would work well, as would a 2nd. I sincerely doubt that Symth will rejoin the Oilers until after the upcoming season, so to say whos spot he would take would be moot. I would like to see Smyth come back asap, but if they do have to trade for him, it could cost too much just to temporarily satisfy the fans

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be. -Wayne Gretzky
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  10:41:33  Reply with Quote
This is still a rumour (one which has been denied by the player involved), but some rumours turn out to be true. (Even with past denials, which are understandable, by the player involved.)

I mostly agree with Beans that it would not be a good move for the Oilers to pick up Smyth, but here's an argument (not necessarily mine) which makes it enticing.

If a team can grab a +35 (in age) player who can play as a top 6 forward, and also has qualities as a leader and mentor for younger players, I can understand the appeal.

Here's one example: Mark Recchi (Yes, I know it's not an exact match for Ryan Smyth, but there are some similarities between the two players, especially if you go back a few years.)

Recchi has played for numerous teams, and in the 2005-2006 season, he joined the Carolina Hurricanes at 37 years of age, and helped them with a cup that same season. And he tallied 16 points (7 goals and 9 assists) in 25 playoff games.

Skip ahead a few years, and Recchi joined the Bruins at 40 years of age, playing three seasons for them (getting close to 50 points the last two seasons.) Recchi was also instrumental in the Bruins cup win, with 5 goals and 9 assists in 25 playoff games, including 7 points in the finals.

Once again, I'm not saying the two players are the same, but I do believe Smyth has some good years left. (He won't play until 43 years of age like Recchi, but I think he has 2-3 more good seasons left in the tank.

I don't think the Oilers should acquire Smyth (unless it's for very cheap, or there's better trade value), but I don't quite think it would be a "crap" move if they did.

Smyth is a warrior, and he is a great example of work ethic, and he has leadership qualities.

I'm probably dreaming, but what if the Kings took Horcoff in a trade for Smyth? And at the same time, what if Smyth agreed to extend his contract (assuming that he misses Edmonton, and is ready to take a home-town discount), where he signs for $2.5 - 3 million a season for the following two seasons. I would consider this deal if I were the Oilers. They would unload Horcoff's big contract (which runs until the end of the 2014-2015 season), and in my opinion, Smyth would make a better captain than Horcoff for the young Oilers.

But would the Kings make this deal? He's going to be a UFA in a year, so the Kings probably only have him for a year at the most anyway.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  14:14:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the Kings make that deal. I'm guessing part of the appeal in getting Smyth out would be the cap hit / cap space he takes up right now. Horcoff has 4 years left at a 5.5 cap hit, he will be very difficult to unload, although i did hear that there are a few teams who may find it difficult to spend to the cap min who could possibly take a guy like Horcoff???
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page