Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Rink Stink!
 One Week into the 2011/12 season Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The 4th Line Banger
Top Prospect

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  18:13:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The season is a week old and these are the things on my mind:

- What happened to the good old days when teams played every other night?? Why would a season start with a team playing 2 games in 3 nights and then not play for a week??

- I think the NHL missed the boat on the Jets opener. Not only should it have been the showcase game on Saturday night, but it should have been a classic match up against either Calgary or Edmonton. Montreal vs. Winnipeg on a Sunday afternoon?? I don’t get it.

- I am warning hockey fans right now, you will dislike a lot of what Brendan Shanahan does this season. Unfortunately the game has been so poorly officiated for so long there is no other option for him but to throw the book at everyone. Once the player’s figure it out things will relax a little ut that is 2 seasons away at least. At who’s loss?? The fans of course. That high stick suspension to Bouchard was gross.

- I can’t describe how annoying it is that points are given out (and playoff teams are chosen) by a shoot out. It’s not the best team it’s the best team at playing “H.O.R.S.E” on skates. The worst thing is how many ‘fans’ perceive this a parity.

- With all the focus on Phoenix in the past few years and with Atlanta leaving for Winnipeg, Dallas was lost in the shuffle as possible the team in the worst economic position. Their owner is bankrupt, they have the lowest ticket prices in the NHL, and they had just 6500 fans out to their most recent home game. They are in HUGE trouble and there are no more NHL ready cities in Canada to bail out them out. Attrition is becoming a more potential option.

- Crosby will be back before the end of October. Bet on it.

See you next week.

Have an opinion on The Fourth Line Banger's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin at pickuphockey.com

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  05:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- That high stick suspension was dead on, in my humble opinion. To me, it's a great sign that hockey is maturing into a sport that properly disciplines illegal actions in the game that can and do cause serious bodily harm.

I mean . . . it's no hockey play we are talking about here. If you call a big suspension on a questionable hit made at high speed .. . I can understand it. But two guys jostling for position, and supposedly the guy just tried to whack his stick - but so hard that it slid up and knocked out half the teeth from his mouth?!? C'mon, there's not even a good excuse for that with no puck nearby, no action at the front of the net, etc.

I think it's a great statement call - that stupid, careless use of the stick will not be tolerated. I love what Shanahan has called, and especially, NOT CALLED a suspension this year.

- Agree on the scheduling to a point, but it's a minor complaint. Scheduling is tough, and with a team in a new location suddenly this year, I am sure they had to do lots of juggling. Meh.

- Agreed on the Winnipeg opening. I was honestly shocked that they had the Habs playing there, I would have thought putting one of the Alberta teams there was a no-brainer.

- Dallas is in trouble, but there are CERTAINLY two NHL ready cities, in fact - Quebec City, and the city of Toronto for a second team.

- Crosby - I wouldn't bet on it. In fact, my guess is he IS in fact cleared to start contact drills with the Pens soon (reportedly happened today, in fact!), but that usually means two weeks before actually playing. I say he looks good to go, then suffers a setback.

- Agree on the shootouts - it's a bt of a sideshow to me, an add-on to the actually hockey, and I strongly disslike that it has such meaning now with many close games. Unfortunately, looks like it is here to stay.

3/6 this round, Needs Improvement.
C-

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Edited by - n/a on 10/13/2011 08:48:56
Go to Top of Page

Guest5091
( )

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  07:43:16  Reply with Quote
- Eh, too much of a good thing isn't always good. I agree that a week layoff isn't good but every other night is too much.

- Definitely missed the boat for the Jets. Lack of fanfare, lack of a properly chosen opponent, lack of a good time slot.

- So far I'm loving what Shanahan has been doing. It's about time that someone regulates what happens on the ice. All the "2 game suspension!" type of penalties that Campbell used to give out were nothing more than a slap on the wrist and served no purpose whatsoever except to maintain an appearance that the league cared. It was a farce.

- Nice argument on the shootout thing. Essentially "I'm right and it's stupid that people think otherwise", complete with the preemptive ad hominem. Nice. Personally, I like the format since it actually gives a resolution to the contest and it's generally more entertaining than the overtime period... and this is coming from a fan of the team that was dead last in the league in terms of shootout win percentage last year.

- Apparently Dallas has a buyer lined up but he said he wasn't going to move the team... Not sure how viable that is though.

6) I disagree... He's not even cleared for contact yet and the league won't allow their face to rush back into it prematurely. Mid-November at the earliest.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  10:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
- I am not a fan of the scheduling to begin with, but the NHL opening the season Europe makes the start of the season really dumb.

- Should have been Edmonton vs Winnipeg

- I don't like that a player can try to lift the stick of another player into his own face and there is a suspension delivered. I like what Shanahan is doing but I call this a mistake.

-QC does not have an arena and take a look at both NYI and NJD in trouble financially to see why multiple teams in one city does not work. +1 in Toronto = -1 in Buffalo. It's a wash

-I love the shootout for entertainment/drama value but don't agree with the added point given out.

-Crosby is 4-6 weeks out by my guess.

5 out of 6 is a A- in my books
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2011 :  10:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No sooner did I post this and TSN reported that Crosby was cleared for contact today. If (and it's still an if) things go well and he is 2 weeks out, he could be playing by the 27th against the Islanders.

Or, he gets rocked and is out for another few months.
Go to Top of Page

ToXXiK1
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
696 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2011 :  10:53:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Crosby's a little scared to get on the ice?
Go to Top of Page

Guest0535
( )

Posted - 10/18/2011 :  15:10:14  Reply with Quote
Every sport, and every incidence of a concussion in sport, has been dealt with wrongly... up until the Crosby incident. Concussions are not things that heal in a matter of weeks, but are months-long affairs. The fact that neither Pittsburgh, nor Crosby himself seems to be in any rush to return means they're doing it right. Given that fact, clearance for contact is not a sign of imminent play, but just another step in the long healing process. If their actions are any indication of their knowledge of the situation, Crosby won't be back before December 1st.

*note to author and editors: given this website is not a main thoroughfare for hockey fans, and even less so because it deals with fantasy hockey specifically, I would be more stringent with spelling and grammar. Nothing drives away a new reader like a blog that lacks an air of professionalism.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  06:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest0535

*note to author and editors: given this website is not a main thoroughfare for hockey fans, and even less so because it deals with fantasy hockey specifically, I would be more stringent with spelling and grammar. Nothing drives away a new reader like a blog that lacks an air of professionalism.

Actually, I think this website is a decent-sized hockey talk website. What is your definition of main thoroughfare?

Besides the fact that you sound pompous with your wording . . . are you saying that poor grammar and spelling drive away potential readers? Got to a huge site like HOF boards and compare their spelling and grammar to ours . . . that's right - it's about the same.

And this is not a blog. This entry was taken from a sort of blog . . . but this website that you are commenting on is not a blog - it is a chat website for hockey and fantasy hockey.

Lacking professionalism?!? We are not professionals, dude! I don't get paid to moderate either. We just chat and discuss and argue and postulate, that's all. Some of us are better at the craft of writing, while others are not . . .

Take it for what it is - no more, no less.

And sign up if you want to be taken more seriously!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

fmedleg
Top Prospect

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2011 :  12:05:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I apologize if I offended anyone, as apparently it seems I did.

This website is not a main "thoroughfare" because when readers want hockey news and commentary, they turn to nhl.com, espn.com, each team's respective website, or sites like yahoo who cater to massive fantasy audiences. People only come here, then, to check their pool. So if you're going to enter into the realm of written material from the site's authors, put in an extra five minutes and refine the product.

Poor grammar and spelling DO drive readers away. Whether this is a blog post, a post taken from a blog, a blog-like post, or some notes on a napkin, when you post something on a website for that website, you're representing its image. I'm not referring to the writing of people who comment on these posts, but to the original writer.

In fact, from the little I've read so far, I like a lot of the content that has gone up, from both the authors and readers. I'm only suggesting a bit of extra effort to make it that much more attractive for readers who pass through. People turn to the web for commentary they hope goes beyond what they can get from arguing with friends in front of the TV. If you can't at least compare to other online authors in your grammar and spelling, why would anyone want to stick around. By the looks of it, this site is well developed. Why should it lag on the quality of the content it posts?
Go to Top of Page

Guest2166
( )

Posted - 11/03/2011 :  09:40:11  Reply with Quote
I don't usually post on these things but I appreciated Fmedlegs post and wanted to show my approval. I could not agree more with the fact that if this site wants to become a main thoroughfare, decent grammar will help considerably. English is not my first language and I probably make many mistakes myself. However, I agree that a poorly spelled opinion lacks creedibility. I do plan on visiting the topics regularly but will not be doing so if I need to decipher the spelling, as is the case on many sites that I no longer visit.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6249
( )

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  07:49:05  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The 4th Line Banger

- With all the focus on Phoenix in the past few years and with Atlanta leaving for Winnipeg, Dallas was lost in the shuffle as possible the team in the worst economic position. Their owner is bankrupt, they have the lowest ticket prices in the NHL, and they had just 6500 fans out to their most recent home game. They are in HUGE trouble and there are no more NHL ready cities in Canada to bail out them out. Attrition is becoming a more potential option.

- Crosby will be back before the end of October. Bet on it.

Ontario would love another hockey team...I'm sure if Dallas continues to have more trouble, you'll probably hear more about the possibility of another Ontario expansion team.

And, it's a good thing I didn't bet on Crosby coming back!! Before the start of the season, I predicted Crosby would come back sometime in January. I still think that is the most realistic timeframe; but, given the Penguins record so far this season, I wouldn't blame the Pens for waiting until the playoffs to bring Crosby back! ;)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page