Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... San Jose
 Are the Sharks underrated? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  07:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about anyone else but I get the feeling that the Sharks aren't really getting enough respect as viable Stanley Cup Contenders? I think that they are probably the most dangerous team out there right now.

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:21:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My prediction is the Sharks beat Ottawa in 6 in the Finals for the Cup!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest6127
( )

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  08:25:45  Reply with Quote
Feeling a little sorry for you favorite team hey?

There are 7-8 teams on the same level as the Sharks.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  09:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to have another Sharks fan on the site!

I think that people are slowly starting to realize how good they are, but few truly understand it. They get no coverage (in Canada, except for maybe 2 late night HNIC games) during the regular season, so it's easy for people to disregard them. Then when they do get coverage in the playoffs (Calgary in '04 and Edmonton in '06), they get beat by a Canadian team, which for most automatically means that the Sharks are no good. For them to finally TRULY be recognized for the powerhouse they are, they will have to make it to the Finals. Even winning the Art Ross, Hart and Rocket Richard last year wasn't enough...

Another thing that sucks is that they finish 5th in the NHL and in the first round they have to play Nashville who finished 3rd? That doesn't seem like a good deal to me. When the Sharks come out of this series, they will be all bruised up. What would be ideal though, is for Detroit, Anaheim and Vancouver to come out of their series, so that SJ would play Detroit in the second round. SJ OWNS Detroit and that way Anaheim and Vancouver could just beat each other up. Detroit doesn't play as physical as the other teams so really, they are the ideal 2nd-round opponents. I might actually find myself cheering for Vancouver.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2048
( )

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  11:09:34  Reply with Quote
The sharks are not underrated. They are a very good team that has several flaws. They are certainly a cup contender, but they will have to overcome some hurdles to do so... "(mostly within-the-team hurdles).
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  12:00:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think they are over rated because everyone knows there good

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  13:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would never say that they are underrated. They have been legitimate contenders for about 3 years and with the addition of Thornton last year they are easily top 5 in my opinion. If they don't win the cup in the next 2-3 years (this year included) they will have squandered a brilliant opportunity.
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  13:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definetely think they are underated just because they are the fifth seed. Just listen to the names. Thornton, Cheechoo, Guerin, Marleau, Nabokov

Always next year!!
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:05:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget Rivet and Nabby's partner in crime Toskala. Nabby and Toskala make the deadliest Goaltender Tandum in the Playoffs. I think one of the best things about playing Nashville in the first round is that it will get some of our younger guys (i.e. Vlasic, Carle, Clowe, and Pavelski) a quick and hard lesson in Playoff Hokey and get them into to the swing of the Playoff grind.
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I love that part of it. For the next couple years our defense core is going to be so strong and ahead of a lot of other young players in the league. Sure they aren't the only rookies, but look at a guy like Vlasic who's averaging 26 minutes of ice/game. Sure that does include an overtime period, but he is still playing top defensive line minutes as a 20-year old rookie. I hope he's a Shark for life because I can picture him winning a couple Norris trophies.
Go to Top of Page

sjtrufan
Top Prospect

78 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  14:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to mention our rookies have been getting the job done up front this series too
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  05:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sjtrufan

My prediction is the Sharks beat Ottawa in 6 in the Finals for the Cup!!!!

Good to see someone else has their head screwed on straight...

...well, almost....Sens in 7

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

blueliner fan
Top Prospect

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  08:03:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that the Sharks don't get the attention they deserve, but neither do any other western conference teams unless they are from Canada, Colorado, Dallas, or Detroit. The same argument could be made for the Ducks.

I personally see this as a benefit for the teams out this way. It allows them to not be taken quite as seriously by other teams. This has the potential to win the Sharks at least 1 game per series, depending on who they are playing and how effective that team's coach is at making sure that his players do not go in underestimating my beloved tiburones.

As for our defensive core, although the inexperience on the Sharks blueline can be a his disadvantage for the team, they will shine for years to come. Erhoff has come along nicely this year. He no longer scares me when he's out there. Hannan...well....what is there to say? He plays so many minutes because he is just that good and dependable. He is a great mentor to the younger guys as I see Rivet has also turned out to be. Carle, looking better all the time. Still some kinks to work out...but no major complaints...well....except for continually leaving the point on the pp to park himself in front of the opposing goalie.....ugh!! Then there's Pickles....WOW! I personally have never seen a dman come into the league at his age with the ability to make good decisions quickly. I LOVE this guy!! I would say that he will be a Norris candidate for many years when he piques. And then there's Mac. When he's on....he's very solid. Thankfully, he's usually on. With all that, there are still two other capable defensemen in Douglas Murray and Rob Davison who can step in to help out when needed.

Play hard....Play fast....or DON'T play at ALL!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page