Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Buffalo
 Will Buffalo Actually Win The Cup? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest5002
( )

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  09:21:20  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Does Anybody Actually Think Buffalo Will Win The Cup?

Choices:

Yes
No

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  09:24:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have the team to win the cup, but rite now they have got to start playing a little bit better. The Islanders definately gave them a run for there money now there gonna have to face a team who is much better so they have got to start playing to there potential.
Go to Top of Page

Guest5002
( )

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  09:26:29  Reply with Quote
Im pretty sure that Buffalo won't win the cup.
not if thay have to play Ottowa to get to the finals

im thinking Sens VS. Canucks for the cup and the canucks will win in game 6
Go to Top of Page

Saku Steen
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1102 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  11:02:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont think they will. The West is to strong for any East team.

I've figured it out, the guys gotta play like girls!
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  12:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No they will not win the cup. Like Saku said, the west is to strong. If i'm correct, they are playing the Rangers in the 2nd round and honestly, I think the Rangers will beat the Sabres.

I bet Mik will have a few things to say about this

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~

Edited by - semin-rules on 04/22/2007 15:23:18
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:00:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You bet I do. The Rangers beating the Sabres?? Hahaha good one Semin . That's any easy series if I ever saw it. 94 points vs. 113 points. Hmmm....Buffalo will take down the 'Czech Republic'.

Let's say Detroit wins the West. Their record would not be so good if they had a harder division. If they were really strong they should've sweeped Calgary and their 96 season points in a breeze.

Let's say Anaheim wins the West. Buffalo had more season points than Anaheim. And really, they rely on Pronger and Niedermayer to pull them through. If one of them's injured, they're at a disadvantage. Selanne is their big goal-scorer, but Buffalo's got Briere and Afinogenov to counter. And then it comes down to goalies: Anaheim's goaltending doesn't shine next to Miller.

Let's say San Jose wins the West. That's the only team I can see legitimately beating Buffalo. Good goaltending, good forwards, good defensemen all around. That one we'll have to play by ear, IF the Sharks use Toskala. Buffalo will win the games when SJ uses Nabokov, he's too inconsistent. Plus if Nashville and Anaheim can beat them, Buffalo's certainly capable as well. That one could go either way.

And if Dallas wins, that's an easy knock-out for Buffalo (no offense Semin ) Turco flunks out in the playoffs, and Dallas has had some embarassing defeats in the regular season, like losing to Columbus quite a bit (I saw that happen live at a game, didn't believe it). But let's say Vancouver wins the series (that's an even easier knock-out). If Luongo can remain up to par in the Cup finals, they'll have at least SOMEthing to help them. The rest of the team is a wash-up, and Buffalo can score more goals on Luongo than the Canucks can score on Miller, so Buffalo will beat them.

But will the Sabres win the East, you ask. You betcha. They're going to beat NYR, no doubt in my mind. That means they either play Ottawa or New Jersey. Buffalo and Ottawa are in the same division. Buffalo won the division. There you go. New Jersey? It's doable. Tampa Bay beat 'em twice and almost beat them today. TB had 93 season points. Buffalo is certainly equipped to beat the Devils.

Sabres will win the Cup, you watch!

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/22/2007 15:26:53
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well i personlly think they could but since Mik said Detroit should have swept Calgary then Buffalo should have easily swept the Islanders

See the Buffalo Sabers do have Briere,Afino., Drury and lots more,but i think New Jersey will take them out

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:22:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1 Crosby fan

Well i personlly think they could but since Mik said Detroit should have swept Calgary then Buffalo should have easily swept the Islanders

Good point 1CF, I didn't think about that. But Buffalo only lost one game to them, Detroit lost two, and who knows, it could be 3 when they return to Calgary. But nonetheless, that was a bit of a hyberbole, the point I wanted to drive home was that Detroit's numbers were inflated by playing the Blues-Blackhawks-Jackets triangle so much, and that they may not be strong enough to win the West and beat Buffalo.
Go to Top of Page

Kashmire
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
506 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buffalo is to pumped to lose to NJ. Buffalo is going to be #1 in the East. The reg. season was Buffalo's. They aren't about to give it up easily. they have a huge chance of winning the Cup.
Go to Top of Page

semin-rules
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1915 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:26:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree they will be pumped and will probobly beat New Jersey but I don't think they will carry that momentum throughout the playoffs.

~~~~~COME ON STARS, LETS BRING IT HOME~~~~~
Go to Top of Page

1 Crosby fan
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1454 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  15:45:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

quote:

Good point 1CF, I didn't think about that. But Buffalo only lost one game to them, Detroit lost two

That proves te west is tougher than the east?

Viktor Kozlov is my hero
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  16:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That proves te west is tougher than the east?

No, I was just backing up my claim that Buffalo did better against the Isles than Detroit did against Calgary, therefore Buffalo is better than Detroit.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/22/2007 16:27:27
Go to Top of Page

PENSFAN8771
Rookie

USA
114 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  16:59:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think categorically labeling the west better than the East and then saying no one in the east can win is a poor argument with a false cause. The same caliber of players can play in both conferences and in fact do. It's not like we're talking about college football conferences where teams from different conferences actually recruit players of different caliber. The West is not a league unto itself and takes players from the same pool. So it really matters if teams go out and get those players and more importantly if they can mold them into a productive winning team. The Sabres have done this very effectively.

I do believe that Buffalo is poised for a run at the Cup. I firmly believe that they are better than any team in the East and asa good as any team in the West. That being said, I don't think anyone has the depth of the Sabres four solid lines. The playoffs are not a short sprint, they are a marathon of physical play. A team that is deep like Buffalo will be still standing at the end of the playoffs and I do believe they will lift the Cup.
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  16:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point, PensFan. Buffalo's weapon is depth. No other team, with the exception of SJ, has the depth Buffalo has. New Jersey relies on Brodeur, Ottawa counts on Alfredsson, Spezza, Heatley, and Vermette. Anaheim is carried by Niedermayer, Pronger, Getzlaf, and Selanne. These teams all have three or four players who stick out and get the points, but the rest are sort of just there. Not bad players, but not outstanding. Buffalo doesn't rely solely on the top three, they have four solid lines. Briere, Drury, Afinogenov, Vanek, Numminen, Lydman, Campbell, Connolly, Spacek, Tallinder, Gaustad, Roy, Kalinin, Kotalik, and of course Miller in net. They all have talent, and while none of these players stands out tremedously the way Niedermayer or Heatley do, with five of them on the ice together, their combined effort is what wins games. Speed + goal scorers/playmakers + good goaltending = 113 points. SJ is the only other team with that kind of depth. Thornton, Marleau, Cheechoo, Guerin, Michalek, Pavelski, Vlasic, Bernier, and then Toskala. A wide selection of solid players is key to winning consistantly. Weapons of mass depth-struction.

Edited by - Mikhailova on 04/24/2007 13:28:04
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  17:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do think that Buffalo have a pretty good chance of winning the cup this year. There offence is absolutely dynamite. Roy, Vanek, and Afinogenov is their third line! On most teams that would be a quality first line.

The only thing that I think is a little suspect is their defence. But I still think that it is good enough to get them far in the playoffs.

Ryan Miller on the other hand is plying great for the Sabres. Did you see that save he made on I think it was Satan late in the 5th and final game of their series. WHAT A SAVE!! Talk about clutch.

Forecheck+Backcheck= Paycheck!!!
Go to Top of Page

dummy101
Top Prospect

Canada
33 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  18:17:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also think they are weak on D.If a team makes good dumps soft in the corners Campbell and Numminen(sp) ,I think, are the only ones who will go get it.The Isles are relatively slow and had some success.Look at the success the Leafs had doing this to Buffalo.Avery will make a big difference also.
They have the best team in the east but, I think, definitely can be beaten.Plus there are expectations this year for them,more heat.
Go to Top of Page

jbraiter
PickupHockey Pro

577 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  13:32:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no they wont, whoever the western team going to the cup will win.
Go to Top of Page

BGORDO
Top Prospect

5 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2007 :  20:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hope so!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2007 :  18:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote