Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Toronto
 Is Burke losing his cool? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest9295
( )

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  08:09:24  Reply with Quote
The last couple of days have been extremely busy and would appear stressful for Brian Burke. Is the reality of being the GM in this market taking a toll.

First the month of February kills any chance of the Leafs making the playoffs.

Second he reacts and fires his coach after the fans finally vent there frustration openly at the game against Florida.

Third he gets openly critized on coaches corner as Don Cherry blasts him on his rooster and lack of character players(Ontarians)

Fourth he gets angry with a local sports reporter who asks him a legitimate question and hangs up on him.

And last seems to overreact and overpay for a mediocre player (40 to 60pts) because he feels there are no better options this free agent year.

Is he losing it?

Edited by - n/a on 03/21/2012 10:40:32

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  08:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9295

The last couple of days have been extremely busy and would appear stressful for Brian Burke. Is the reality of being the GM in this market taking a toll.

LM...No doubt it ain't the easiest spot to do what he does. Nor is it the toughest. Burke has plenty of backbone but he also is a sensitive guy.

LM...Looks like that's true...and given that they WERE in the driver's seat it has to be really frustrating...but HE should have moved on Dirty Ron a lot sooner.

Second he reacts and fires his coach after the fans finally vent there frustration openly at the game against Florida.

LM...I don't think the fans prompted Dirty Ron's ouster. Dirty Ron did it all by himself.

Third he gets openly critized on coaches corner as Don Cherry blasts him on his rooster and lack of character players(Ontarians)

LM...Cherry blasting away at anyone and everyone, including Burke, isn't new. Just yawn inspiring. Cherry's a loudmouthed bully. Burke ain't afraid to look in the mirror...see it for what it is and call him on it. Similar peas...same pod.

Fourth he gets angry with a local sports reporter who asks him a legitimate question and hangs up on him.

LM...Not a legit question. Burke was there to talk about the new Gays in Sport etc initiative. The CFRB guy side-swiped him. It was gutless. I'd put THAT guy on notice. He played with RB's credibility...and lost.

And last seems to overreact and overpay for a mediocre player (40 to 60pts) because he feels there are no better options this free agent year.

LM...He had to. Or the team would have been weakened. He had to or he wouldn't have been doing his job properly. A bird in the hand can't be allowed to fly away on the mere chance that a handful of bird poop is the only other option.

Is he losing it?

Can't lose what he didn't have to begin with. Burke has always been curt, short tempered and abrasive. That's how he plays in the sandbox. Same old Brian.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.

Edited by - Lee Marshall on 03/07/2012 08:50:55
Go to Top of Page

Guest7752
( )

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  09:01:16  Reply with Quote
Why the question "Is he losing it"?
Everything you mentioned, from first to forth is standard mode of operation for Burke, and always has been.
Why the surprise?
He's got the exact same team, minus the coach, that he had when Lesfs were NO. 1 in standaings...
Maybe "this market" is the one that "lost it" thinking Leafs were actually worthy of being NO. 1???
I think "this market" loses it everytime there is a little forward progress. This market interprets a little forward progress as a huge step forward... and then demands heads to be chopped for not being as forward as they thought they were.
By the way, considering the upcoming UFA Market, and draft picks - the Grabbo signing was a good thing for moving foward.... LITTLE STEPS FORWARD....
This market may interpret Grabbo's signing as a huge step towards bringing the Cup to TO next season... calm down ... a only a little step forward... don't go demanding Burke's head for this signing...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  10:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a great point 7752, and I agree that Burke hasn't really done anything differently in recent past as what he has always done. He has made some bold moves since he started in TO and has done the same historically.

It's interesting because a guy like me, who is clearly not a Burke fan, can point the finger at things like the Kessel trade, signing Komesarik, now signing Grabovksi, and not having and experienced goalie as bad things. However, if the Leafs do win it will likely be based on these moves.

He is a hero or a goat. There is nothing in between with Burke. I personally respect a guy that puts his stones on the line for what he believe in. I might not agree with Burke's moved, but he clearly does. Good on him for it.

Unfortunately, the firestorm that is normally in TO might not afford Burke the opportunity to see if the fruits of his labour will be successful. I would suggest that the Leafs miss the playoffs this season. Burke will have one more draft and one more off season and then will be measured some time through next season. If the Leafs are not comfortably in a playoff position in January of next year, Burke will be gone.

Not even the great Brian Burke can keep a job after 5 unsuccessful years in TO. It simply is not allowed.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4629
( )

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  11:05:51  Reply with Quote
Burke is a Tool and Leaf Nation should""""""" FIRE""""""" Him .. Still no playoff's..
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  15:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The above is the typical no name/no responsibilty post I refered to elsewhere.

Mindless drivel.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8828
( )

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  15:22:47  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is he losing it?

Im not exactly sure what his Rooster has to do with his abillity as a GM
Go to Top of Page

Clatts
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
266 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2012 :  15:25:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is he losing it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im not exactly sure what his Rooster has to do with his abillity as a GM

Forgot to sign in

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  05:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lee Marshall,

thank you for saving me a ton of time writing!

I agree with 100% of what you said. Nothing more needs to be added, IMHO.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:03:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lee Marshall

The above is the typical no name/no responsibilty post I refered to elsewhere.

Mindless drivel.

Lee, get used to it. THAT'S a classic example of why guest posting can really suck at times. Don't get me wrong, some guests have really good posts and points, but ones like that, are really a waste of everyone's time.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A very intersting twist to the Cherry/Burke saga came out yesterday. Apparently, Burke wanted both Cherry and Ron MacLean to be fired. Granted, Burke did do the stand up thing and called MacLean to let him know what he was planning to do. But still, I don't like that Burke did not like the Leafs getting picked on so he wanted people fired??

There was also something from the BOG meetings where they were talking about CBC's contract for HNIC coming up for renewal and the Toronto camp basically said if CBC wanted to renew the contract they better do something about MacLean and Cherry picking on the Leafs.

Frankly, that's garbage. Cherry and MacLean are paid to share their opinions. Right or wrong, agree or disagree, that is their job. I think it's childish that Burke did not like what was being said so he wanted them fired?? That is a joke.

That being said, I am going on the record to say that Cherry's comments about the Leafs not having players from Ontario is laughable and not relevant to anything.

Maybe Burke should just rent a barn some where and end this thing with Cherry once and for all.

Here is the story if anyone is interested:

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/07/both-cherry-and-maclean-were-burkes-targets
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:37:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I posted this previously. Cherry was reacting to Burke's lament that every time a team comes into T.O. there is 1 [or more] local/Ontario guys playing HARD in front of family and friends...and that it was tough to constantly contend with. Cherry's reponse...Don't like it? Get some. [which Burke already has]

It's not that Ontario produces the BEST players...only that they PLAY their best when they come 'home'.

Just another stick Cherry grabbed in order to further fuel the fire.

Burke's response? Fire them?

Not good. Freedom of speech...freedom of the press... You know. It ain't gonna be intersting if all we ever hear is Kumbuya. [or however that campfire song is spelled.]

Edited by - Lee Marshall on 03/08/2012 09:38:56
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  09:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burke's attempts to get MacLean and Burke fired happened well before Cherry's garbage comments about no players from on Ontario playing for the Leafs.

Cherry's comments were the reply to Burke's attempts, not the other way around. But I agree with the freedom of the press. MacLean and Burke should not have to sugar coat their views on any team regardless of what team that is or who their GM is.

Burke needs to rest his head on his big, giagantic pillow and cry himself to sleep. Maybe he will feel better in the morning.
Go to Top of Page

Lee Marshall
Rookie

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  10:17:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought that Burke had tried AGAIN to ouster Cherry. This isn't a battle either one of them can win. EVERYBODY loses. The CBC...the Leafs...the viewers and the fans.

Almost typical of both of them. MacLean is the odd man in this particular mix. And, as always, there he sits caught between the age old rock and hard place.

Go to Top of Page

fat_elvis_rocked
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  11:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that is true as Beans pointed out, that Burke is/has actually stooped to that level of playground nonsense, by asking for the firings of Maclean and Cherry, then he has lost more than his cool.

That may be one of the most childish things I have ever heard of, involving a grown man. Mayhaps his on-camera grumpiness has less to do with his beligerance and is more akin to poutiness.

I don't think I've spoken out about Burke previously and have always been indifferent to his persona, but he is starting to wear thin.

Regarding the radio show, if he was indeed there in support of his son's legacy, and the host took the pot shots he did, then in that case I do believe Burke was right to go off on the host, as it was indeed irrelevant and a gutless call, to ambush him like that.

Overall, it goes to show what the microverse called Toronto can be like.....crazy!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2012 :  12:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When Burke was hired, it was thought at the time that he was the only GM that would be able to withstand the scrutiny and pressure of being the GM in Toronto. He seems to be withering a bit...

At some point, Burke will be gone - either he'll get fired or his contract will expire and not be renewed, or he'll die - and TOR will need to hire another GM. If you're a GM in the NHL, or ex-GM looking for a job, do you want to work in Toronto?
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  15:33:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, don't believe everything you read in the Toronto Sun. After reading the article, the writer never really provides solid proof that Burke went into CBC and asked for both Ron and Don to be fired. Also if you think Burke has the ability to sway the NHL away from the millions that CBC brings to the NHL then you are sadly mistaken. If it is true that there is strong opinion amongst most of GM's to get rid of Ron and Don, as the article states, then they are truly disconnected from the Canadian fan base.
Gary Bettman has already proven many times that 1 man and 1 man only has the power to do what he wants in the NHL and its not Brian Burke.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9278
( )

Posted - 03/09/2012 :  15:54:22  Reply with Quote
Big time discusion on Prime time sports on sportsnet about fireing Burke and doing another rebuild in Toronto. Don't think that is very likely but there were some interesting points brought up, one being that Grabovski signing was a prelude to a big trade in the summer. Perhaps a Rick Nash deal?
Go to Top of Page

foolpittier
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
374 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2012 :  14:35:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Burke was never cool?
Go to Top of Page

Johnny77
Top Prospect

9 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  13:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They need to fire burke and find a new owner some how not the teachers pension they dont care about wins just money

"If you want to play hockey, learn to score goals. Otherwise your hands gets so sore."
-Gino Odjick
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  15:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny77

They need to fire burke and find a new owner some how not the teachers pension they dont care about wins just money

"If you want to play hockey, learn to score goals. Otherwise your hands gets so sore."
-Gino Odjick

The Leafs were sold this season. Back in December, Rogers and Bell teamed up and purchased the majority stake in Maple Leaf Sports Entertainment from the OTPP.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/nhl/leafs/story/2011-12-09/maple-leafs-raptors-sale/51763040/1

I also disagree that they are looking for only money and not trying to win. I believe Brian Burke is making legitimate moves to improve the team. Unfortunately, the plan has not produced the results expected by this time.
Go to Top of Page

just1n
PickupHockey Pro

282 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2012 :  16:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wins = playoffs = more money

Of course they want to win...
Go to Top of Page

Guest6786
( )

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  09:33:16  Reply with Quote
Just1n hit the nail right on the head.

Hypothetical scenario:
MLSE makes $50 million in profit over the course of the regular season (41 home games). that's $1.22 million per game.
if they had a championship contending team they could potentially have 16 more playoff games. that's an additional $19.5 million in profits, and likely even more due to increased ticket prices and additional merchandise sales.

the owners don't sit back and say "well done everyone. we made $50 million on our hockey operations this year even though we had a crappy team." they look at the numbers and say "we lost $20 million because we had a crappy team!"
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  09:55:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rogers and bell did not buy mlse for any other reason than the leafs are the best money grab out there they dont care at all about the cup coming to TOR. they saw it as a money grab sure they paid through the nose for it. but in the long run they will have a huge amount profit. these two companies are not stupid the most likely know that TOR will never win a cup. they are in it strictly for the money. "W" in the column dont matter. all that matters is $ signs. wether the leafs make the playoffs or not they are still making money. they are relying on the faith of the fans to buy the merchandise and supply them with money. don't kid yourselves guys W's dont matter to them.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  10:03:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mandree, you couldn't be more wrong! Just1n and 6786 nailed it, although 6786 is a little off on his/her estimate at what they'd make in the playoffs. Keep in mind, ticket prices skyrocket the further a team proceeds in the playoffs! There is WAY more money made for home playoff dates than there is a regular season game.

Mandree, you are correct, they bought MLSE for the $ / profits. BUT, the better the team does, the more $ that comes into their pockets!!! This is fact, for EVERY team in the league! Sure, the Leafs do still make money when they lose, and prob more than every other team, but they can make even more if they were a better team getting better results!!!
Go to Top of Page

mandree888
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
400 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  10:33:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fair enough alex all i meant is that its not a priorty they get the cash either way. i dont think they care if they make the playoffs. dont get me wrong if they make it. more money for them but if they dont. its an oh well we still got loads of cash.

in plays offs is a bonus
out of playoffs is just as good to these multi billion dollar companies

on top of this Bell also parts owns the candiens. they dont care about winning they want the up front cash.

i have a hard time beliving telemarketing companies care about winning championships in a sport.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  10:39:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

mandree, you couldn't be more wrong! Just1n and 6786 nailed it, although 6786 is a little off on his/her estimate at what they'd make in the playoffs. Keep in mind, ticket prices skyrocket the further a team proceeds in the playoffs! There is WAY more money made for home playoff dates than there is a regular season game.

Teams also stop paying player salaries when the regular season ends, which is probably an even bigger factor for saving money...
Go to Top of Page

Guest9288
( )

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  11:03:12  Reply with Quote
Based on the last 3 years, Burke should be losing his job, never mind his cool.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  12:28:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong, but are the Leafs not spending very near to the cap ceiling, and also paying as much as any other team for their management, coaching and training staff? If the ownership doesn't care about winning, why would they not go a cheaper route?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2013.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2012 :  12:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

I could be wrong, but are the Leafs not spending very near to the cap ceiling, and also paying as much as any other team for their management, coaching and training staff? If the ownership doesn't care about winning, why would they not go a cheaper route?

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2013.

There was a great article on this exact topic a few weeks back. It talked about the Leafs Coaching and Management team being the most expensive in the NHL at over $6 million/season. It also talked about contracts from an actual cost perspective.

It was written by TO media who are pretty upset these days, but there is valid points about the amount of money that is being spent for the Leafs to improve. Although they are a better team and more fun to watch today than when Burke took over, I don't think anyone can argue that the results have been far less than impressive.

Burke will have until Christmas next season. He won't be fired, but he will 'step down' very early in 2013 if the Leafs are not firmly in a playoff position.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page