Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... NY Rangers
 John Tortorella - WTF? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  14:33:32  Reply with Quote
In watching John Tortorella's post-game interview after last night's game six loss to the Caps, he was definitely in no mood to answer any questions. He appeared frustrated and upset that he had to address the media after the Rangers lost game six to the Caps.

But that's not unusual for Tortorella. He's often volatile in dealing with the press. He has a particular hate-on for Larry Brooks who writes for the New York Post. (However, he does refer to him by his nickname "Brooksy,"c so maybe they get together for beers after press conferences? I don't think so.)

Tortorella can also show his impatience with fans. In the 2009 playoffs, Tortorella went balastic on some Caps' fans, throwing a water bottle at one of the fans, and after grabbing one of his player's sticks, he tried to spear the fan through an opening between two panes of glass.

Tortorella once went on a tirade, saying that Sean Avery should be out of the NHL for his antics (when Avery was playing for the Stars), and in a manner of months, he changed his tune when suddenly Avery was a member of the Rangers.

Earlier this season, Tortorella accused the NHL (and NBC) of being part of a conspiracy after the Winter Classic.

And most recently, he called the Penguins the most arrogant team in the league, and he also called out their "two whiny" star players, referring to Crosby and Malkin of course.

Whether you like his antics or not, Tortorella is a very successful NHL coach. He won the cup with Tampa Bay in 2004, and he is a Jack Adams finalist for the work he's done with the Rangers this season.

I find him entertaining (to a degree), but disrespectful in how he deals with the press in particular. Is he a players' coach? In a recent players' poll, he was named by most players the coach they would least like to play for. (By 59% of respondents!) I wonder if some of the respondents were Ranger players?

One thing for sure. If he wins the Jack Adams trophy for coach of the year, his acceptance speech is bound to be interesting!

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  15:27:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love him for entertainment value. I don't find him disrespectful to the media at all. Too often the media gets away with asking dumb questions or making stupid statements and he holds them accountable. More people should be like him.

As far as him as a player's coach, I think he is not everyone's cup of tea. It's rare that any NHL player will openly speak about any coach in a negative way, however I recall Richards, Lecavalier, and St Louis speaking very highly of him. Richards must really like him because he came to New York knowing he was the coach.

To the point of his coaching style, I think he is very Mike Keenan-esque. No crap, straight ahead, love it or leave it. That seems to be an effective strategy but not over any length of time. Eventually, players zone out the shouting.

I am certainly a Tortorella fan.

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  17:29:02  Reply with Quote
I agree that the media often asks dumb questions (or makes stupid statements), but coaches (and players too) should be professional, and be above that, and take the high road.

Tortorella is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. Sure, there are a few players who like him as a coach (some present, and some former), but clearly, the vast majority of NHL players would not want to play on a team with him as coach.

59% of responding players said so in a recent poll. No other coach came remotely close.

But coaching is not necessarily a popularity contest, and some players (hard to believe actually) don't want to be challenged or pushed like Tortorella does with his players.

I agree that players eventually tune out a coach who yells, shouts or belittles his players, but does this make such a coach less effective when this happens? I really don't know. And I really don't know how the Ranger players feel about their coach. If they get past this round, and go on to win the cup, some will say he's a genius, and his "tactics" work. If they lose, some people will blame the coach.

One's opinion on Tortorella's effectiveness (or lack thereof) really depends on what one thinks of a coach's role in a team's success. Is the coach of a team a 5%, 10% or 50% factor in a team's success?

If you placed the three Jack Adams finalists on three different teams next season, would they have the same success?

And if coaches are so important to a team's success, why do teams pay their coaches about what a fourth line player makes?

If Hitchcock, MacLean, and Tortorella (this season's coach of the year finalists) are geniuses, why don't teams recruit coaches like these anywhere near the way they recruit players?
Go to Top of Page

Pasty7
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2312 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2012 :  21:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say I was annoyed by Torts for most of his time in the NHL mostly because of his antics in the media and his general behavior, but after watching HBO's 24/7 this season I would want him to coach my team any day of the week. He is straight to the point and seems to keep everyone on the same page. players know what he expects of them and they know when they do not meet those expectations. Obviously it takes a certain type of player to excel under this kind of direction but if a GM knows his coach and gets him the kind of players that will buy in (I.E the Rangers this year) his style can be a very succesful one!

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  08:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a huge fan at all of Tortorella . . . and I find he often comes off as a prick. That being said, the results speak for themself - he has had great success.

All the other stuff doesn't really matter in sports frankly - just winning. And this is the same. The silly polls (that the NHL 'media people' create, btw - so it will be geared against people not friendly with the media, or people who give them a hard time), the soundbytes (again, all gathered by the media, same thing) . . . they mean very, very little to th reality of whether a team is successful or not under the coach.

He's clearly a very good coach.
Not my cup of tea, but . . . I'll put it this way: he could be the coach of the Leafs any day, sure - I'd have no issue with that.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  09:00:31  Reply with Quote
Slozo – I'm with you (mostly), however, I have a slightly different viewpoint on polls. Not all polls are silly.

My viewpoint on polls varies depending on a number of factors. In this case, the poll was done by the NHLPA, and to think that 318 millionaire hockey players took the time to answer 20-30 questions is quite amazing.

In addition to naming the coach they would least like to play for, players named Dan Bylsma as the coach they would most like to play for.

Players also identified the smartest player in hockey (Datsyuk), the goalie most difficult to score on (Lundqvist), and the cities where they would most like to play. (Chicago was first, and the next five cities were all original team cities.)

I find these responses interesting (and relevant), because players surely have an educated and informed opinion after all.

I'm not suggesting that fans don't have an educated opinion, but let's not discount the players who actually play the game.

I don't know about you, but I don't personally know too many NHL players, and when I form my opinions, I do so by watching the game, listening to the analysts, reading the paper, etc. (And it's the writers, analysts who have direct access to the players. coaches, gms, etc.)

So it's nice to get feedback directly from the players once in a while (unvarnished) for which a fan can make their own opinions.

As it relates to where Tortorella finished in the recent NHLPA players' poll, I think it has some relevance. (Not a lot, but some.) Players sometimes get to choose where they play, and factors considered may be the location (or climate) of a team, whether the team has a winning culture, where the team is headed, etc. And while probably not a big factor, I suspect players want to play for a coach they respect and appreciate. (Even knowing that coaches can be fired at any given time.)

There have been more than a few players who wanted out of a city because they didn't like their coach, so I'm sure there are players who when given the opportunity to pick a team, would go where they like and respect the coach.

When 59% of polled players state they wouldn't want to play for a specific coach, I think this has some meaning.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  11:22:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4178

Slozo – I'm with you (mostly), however, I have a slightly different viewpoint on polls. Not all polls are silly.

My viewpoint on polls varies depending on a number of factors. In this case, the poll was done by the NHLPA, and to think that 318 millionaire hockey players took the time to answer 20-30 questions is quite amazing.

In addition to naming the coach they would least like to play for, players named Dan Bylsma as the coach they would most like to play for.

Players also identified the smartest player in hockey (Datsyuk), the goalie most difficult to score on (Lundqvist), and the cities where they would most like to play. (Chicago was first, and the next five cities were all original team cities.)

I find these responses interesting (and relevant), because players surely have an educated and informed opinion after all.

I'm not suggesting that fans don't have an educated opinion, but let's not discount the players who actually play the game.

I don't know about you, but I don't personally know too many NHL players, and when I form my opinions, I do so by watching the game, listening to the analysts, reading the paper, etc. (And it's the writers, analysts who have direct access to the players. coaches, gms, etc.)

So it's nice to get feedback directly from the players once in a while (unvarnished) for which a fan can make their own opinions.

As it relates to where Tortorella finished in the recent NHLPA players' poll, I think it has some relevance. (Not a lot, but some.) Players sometimes get to choose where they play, and factors considered may be the location (or climate) of a team, whether the team has a winning culture, where the team is headed, etc. And while probably not a big factor, I suspect players want to play for a coach they respect and appreciate. (Even knowing that coaches can be fired at any given time.)

There have been more than a few players who wanted out of a city because they didn't like their coach, so I'm sure there are players who when given the opportunity to pick a team, would go where they like and respect the coach.

When 59% of polled players state they wouldn't want to play for a specific coach, I think this has some meaning.

Really? They polled every player?
Can you show me a link that proves that? I would be absolutely floored if that were the truth.

Sorry dude, but if there is a poll - it has a political meaning. That is essentially what they are for, to make a political statement on something - and almost always, they are formed and backed by a person with an agenda.

Now in this case . . . it may not be an agenda against Tortorella - it may just be something to create controversy, etc. It may be for some other part of the poll, and Torts was an unintended target.

Regardless, I find it hard to believe in this case - as opposed to the one last year that said Wilson, ex-coach of the Leafs, was the coach anyone would least like to play for.

Tortorella, love him or hate him or indifferent - he stands up for his players. He does not generally throw guys under the bus. And that's why - despite butting heads many times in TB - Richards chose to go to a team with him.

So sorry, I am not buying it.

Would love to see that link that says who was actually polled.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest7401
( )

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  11:39:09  Reply with Quote
74% of people believe made up statistics.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  12:09:34  Reply with Quote
For those interested, here's a link to the player's poll: http://www.playerspoll.ca/

I never stated that every player responded, but 318 NHL players did, and that's an impressive sampling!

As referenced in my posting, there were a number of things asked, not just least favourite coach.

Was/is there an agenda with this poll? One specifically out to get Tortorella? I will leave that up to others to make their own conclusions.

I simply find the information interesting, and in some cases, relevant. I've formed my own opinions on the results, some of which I've shared. Others can draw their own conclusions.

I still maintain that for 59% of responding players to state they wouldn't want to play for Tortorella has some meaning. Significant meaning? No, but some meaning for certain.

And in no way am I stating that Tortorella is a lousy coach. My first posting stated that he is a very successful coach.

I just find him arrogant and disrespectful - that's all. And by looking at the results of this poll, it's clear that a lot of NHL players do not think highly of Tortorella. And in this case, I think their opinion has more merit than mine, because I'm never going to play for the Rangers or in the NHL!
Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/11/2012 :  12:17:25  Reply with Quote
Slozo – have you picked yourself up off the floor yet?

Did you really think 318 players polled meant the whole NHL?

And why bring up Brad Richards name to "prove" that a player's opinion on a coach matters?

What about the other 318 opinions? (Or 188 players who said they would least want to play for Tortorella?)
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 05/16/2012 :  22:37:43  Reply with Quote
The more I see John Totorella's press conferences (and dealings with the media), the more I think he's an idiot. Here's the latest, after the Devils tied the Eastern Conference series at one game apiece: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=53&id=178102

Sure, winning matters, and Tortorella's Rangers could win the cup this year, but why not win with class?!? (Or lose with class for that matter.)

Go to Top of Page

Guest1451
( )

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  02:22:03  Reply with Quote
Weird. Wonder if the Rangers' front office is ok with this type of behavior? I'll grant that the media is stupid but they are the ones reporting to the fans. Fans pay the salaries, etc. Dunno, I've always thought they should do the losers interviews the next day but in Tortorella's case I don't think it would help.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  06:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see absolutely nothing wrong with what Tortorella did. The media was asking him questions and he answered the questions. Sure, they were one word answers but it's not Tortorella's fault the media was asking closed questions.

He has the prerogative as the head coach to keep his changes in the locker room, doesn't he?

How is being frustrated with a lose and curtly answering questions not being classy. He did the mandatory press conference. If you have an issue with what he did then you should also have issues with the media being idiots for asking stupid questions.

Tortorella can't be an idiot if he's not given the chance to be.

Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  08:58:00  Reply with Quote
Beans – I can't really argue with your point of view. This is an opinion site after all. But my opinion of Tortorella is different than yours.

I maintain my original posting, that Tortorella is disrespectful to the media, etc., etc. (No need to restate my thoughts. They're in my postings.)

I watched his press conference after last night's loss, and even if the media asks stupid questions, I think coaches should take the high road. Most do. Tortorella does not.

I'm not disputing his success as a coach (that's a different argument), just his style, which is a combination of aloof, arrogant, indifferent, sarcastic, condescending, belligerent, etc. Not my style of guy at all.

Once again, that's my opinion. I'm not trying to change anyone's opinion, but try this experiment the next time you're talking hockey with your friends, etc. Ask the following question "what do you think of John Tortorella?" Without framing the question or providing any context at all, the responses I've heard include that he's a "prick," "a-hole," "idiot," etc. Stronger words than I've used to describe Tortorella, but no surprise to hear people describe him this way.

Go to Top of Page

Guest6102
( )

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:08:58  Reply with Quote
The guy who posted this originally has greatly misled us. The poll question asked was NOT "which coach would players least like to play for" but was rather "Which coach demands the most of his players?". The poll question has nothing to do with liking/disliking Torts, not sure how he interpreted the poll question this way?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:42:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I respect your opinion for the same reasons you respect mine. I just have a couple of questions.

Let me start by saying the media, for the most part, are complete and utter morons. They have no idea how to interview or ask questions. It's more about an exercise of going through the motions for sound bits.

Let me give an example. Answer the following question:

Do you think John Tortorella is a meatball??

or

Why do you think John Tortorella is a meatball??

One of the questions is a closed style, yes or no answer. The other is an open style, give me your opinion answer. Because the media feeds nothing but closed questions doesn't mean the person being interviewed needs to give an open answer.

John Tortorella was fed a number of closed questions to which his answer was 'no' to most of them. Any open question he was asked he provided the answer, I'll keep that in the room."

So, help me understand, what could Tortorella have done differently that would have given you the opinion that he took 'the high road'???

Go to Top of Page

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 05/17/2012 :  10:51:01  Reply with Quote
Ooops – I'm that guy! I didn't mean to mislead anyone. I made a mistake with the poll(s). Sorry!

I was looking at two different year's results (2011 and 2012.) In 2011, the second question about coaches was "who would you least like to play for," and this year (in 2012) they changed the question to which coach demands the most out of his players. (And Tortorella finished tops. Good for him!) And I got things mixed up.

For those still interested in poll results, I am forwarding the link with the poll results from 2011. Ron Wilson was voted the coach players least wanted to play for, and Tortorella came second. 15% of responding players named Tortorella, a far cry from what I stated (59%). http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/allstar/poll/coaches/which-coach-would-you-least-like-to-play-for/

So my opinion changes on what players think of Tortorella as a coach, but my opinion on his "style" remains the same.

Sorry to those who I confused, and particular apologies are extended to Slozo!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page