Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 Mike Keenan Calgary's new coach Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  06:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like it will be announced tomorrow.
Bad news for the players. He may get results but I don't think it's pleasant playing for him. He has clashed with quite a few players over the years.

"You are not your desktop wallpaper"

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  08:22:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how this will affect the Flames though. Apperently the players liked Playfair and Keenen will the bring a whole new attitude and style of play that will either make or break the Flames.

Second place is only first place of the losers.
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  09:14:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be interesting to watch unfold. Sutter was a calm leader who commanded respect. I've heard that Playfair was also very level headed and mellow. Keenan is not. They have a lot of talent on that team but underachieved last year so maybe this is what Calgary needs? Someone to shake things up. I hope Iginla, Kipper, Langkow and Phaneuf have been consulted and are ready for the change. If he gets buy-in with the top players, the rest will follow.

Personally I don't like it (I witnessed what happened in Vancouver when he came to town for a while) but I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if he gets the results.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  10:44:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard that Playfair would remain on the team as an assistant coach or something to that extent. I wonder how that would work out? All the more interesting for next year.

Second place is only first place of the losers.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  17:30:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was a surprise to me. For the most part, Keenan has been a coach/GM for a long time. For him to go to a team and not have control over personnel is a shock.

However, I think he is a great fit in Calgary. He is magic at taking an under-achieving team and making them achieve. They may not like him, but I would bet dollars to donuts that Calgary will be a better team with a militant coach at the helm.

I Love your Kids, IHC is the man, and The Oilers Rule. Does that make me insane??
Go to Top of Page

Guest4462
( )

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  19:17:32  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leigh

It will be interesting to watch unfold. Sutter was a calm leader who commanded respect. I've heard that Playfair was also very level headed and mellow. Keenan is not. They have a lot of talent on that team but underachieved last year so maybe this is what Calgary needs? Someone to shake things up. I hope Iginla, Kipper, Langkow and Phaneuf have been consulted and are ready for the change. If he gets buy-in with the top players, the rest will follow.

Personally I don't like it (I witnessed what happened in Vancouver when he came to town for a while) but I'll be the first to admit I was wrong if he gets the results.

A lot of talent!?! Underachievers!?!? Sounds like a Flames fan talking. ;)
Calgary did just as well as expected.. they are *not* very deep in proven talent, but i'll give you the fact that they have reasonably young players with potential.

Unfortunately, Keenan is the exact opposite of what the young Calgary players need to develop. Too bad for the franchise but it will be interesting watching Keenan run it into the ground... He may get some short-term results, but he'll leave a barren wasteland behind him as he's chased out of town...
Go to Top of Page

stastnysforever
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
301 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2007 :  19:59:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it backfires

what do Calgary and a tea bag have in common- they're both only good for one cup
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page