Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 Zack Kassian - Another Bertuzzi? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4639
( )

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  21:55:29  Reply with Quote
So, does anyone else see another Todd Bertuzzi in this guy?

Edited by - leigh on 01/27/2013 17:43:14

Guest6572
( )

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  22:19:41  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking that....except the fact that kassian seems dumber....
Or it could just be his curly hair and missing teeth....ronald mcdonald on steroids lol
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  22:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The comparison's been made many times before, but it's WAY too early to start projecting him as a sure thing. He's young, got some talent, good hands and skates well. He brings toughness, a big body, etc, but that 8" space between his ears is going to have a lot to say about how good this guy ends up being! He's shown he's got some of the tools needed to succeed, but he's still a project of sorts!

Having seen his last couple games though, makes you understand what the Canucks saw in this kid as far as raw talent goes.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that suddenly the Canucks won the trade for this guy, but i'd be a rich man if i had a nickel for every clown who's posted stuff like "Gillis should be fired for that trade" or "Gillis is a moron for that trade, wouldn't Cody look great in Vancouver now?", etc, etc. Bottom line is, Cody wanted more playing time, it wasn't available in Vancouver playing behind Sedin and Kesler, Kesler's injury was not predictable and therefore it made sense to trade him. This is one of those trades that may just end up being very even whereby both teams got a player they really needed!
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2013 :  23:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

The comparison's been made many times before, but it's WAY too early to start projecting him as a sure thing. He's young, got some talent, good hands and skates well. He brings toughness, a big body, etc, but that 8" space between his ears is going to have a lot to say about how good this guy ends up being! He's shown he's got some of the tools needed to succeed, but he's still a project of sorts!

Having seen his last couple games though, makes you understand what the Canucks saw in this kid as far as raw talent goes.

Now don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that suddenly the Canucks won the trade for this guy, but i'd be a rich man if i had a nickel for every clown who's posted stuff like "Gillis should be fired for that trade" or "Gillis is a moron for that trade, wouldn't Cody look great in Vancouver now?", etc, etc. Bottom line is, Cody wanted more playing time, it wasn't available in Vancouver playing behind Sedin and Kesler, Kesler's injury was not predictable and therefore it made sense to trade him. This is one of those trades that may just end up being very even whereby both teams got a player they really needed!

Todd Bertuzzi, I don't know... but he is certainly showing all the signs of becoming a competent an effective power forward in the NHL.

He has been great over his last 2 games, with 2 goals and a shootout winner, and has shown he has some hands and skill with the puck when he's not in front of the net. He has also been playing a better physical game, he uses his size well to keep the puck away from opposition, and seems to get himself in position to score. I think this is what MG was hoping for when he traded for him.

But....as much as I like Kassian, I know that he's benefitting heavily from playing with the Sedin's, and getting top PP unit time as well. Is Kassian the real deal, or is he just the latest player to benefit from time on that line? When Kesler and Booth get back, it is generally accepted that Kassian will fall to the second line with Kes/Booth, and Burrows will move back to his usual spot on the top line. I reserve judgement on Kassian until he's playing regular time without the Sedins.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2013 :  08:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
But....as much as I like Kassian, I know that he's benefitting heavily from playing with the Sedin's, and getting top PP unit time as well. Is Kassian the real deal, or is he just the latest player to benefit from time on that line? When Kesler and Booth get back, it is generally accepted that Kassian will fall to the second line with Kes/Booth, and Burrows will move back to his usual spot on the top line. I reserve judgement on Kassian until he's playing regular time without the Sedins.

This (bolded) may be the thinking now, but i don't have a doubt in my mind that if he develops chemistry with the twins and keeps playing the way he is now and/or better, that he'll stay with the twins upon Kesler and Booths return(s) and you'll see a 2nd line of Kesler/Booth/Burrows.

Back to Kassian. I read his Wikipedia page, and some things that stand out makes me think that what he really needs to do is stay poised and mature. He's had a few suspensions in his days prior to the NHL including one at the WJC's a couple years back as well as one's in junior. Add to those, a "legal" problem as well resulting from and altercation at a bar in downtown Windsor following the Memorial Cup win he was a part of. He was charged with assault and the charges were later dropped in exchange for some community service. A criminal charge would have really screwed up his hockey career!!!

A couple of intersting notes was the fact that Bertuzzi, along with Orr, was one of his favorite players growing up. Bert was having much success with the Canucks when Kassian was in his early teens. Also, he was compared by scouts to Cam Neely and Keith Tkachuk, two of the better power forwards to play the game.
Another bit (this is quoted from Wiki).... Chris Edwards of the CSB heralded him as "one of the toughest guys in the OHL and probably the entire draft", while also highlighting his "play-making and puck-handling abilities".

He ended up going 13th overall in the '09 entry draft to Buffalo before being traded to the Canucks in a trade that was not very popular around Vancouver. From Wiki - The Vancouver Sun columnist Iain MacIntyre declared it "a stunner" and "one of the most unpopular trades in Vancouver in years."

Something very important to keep in mind at this time. Zack Kassian is 21. He's in his 2nd season in the NHL and including the 3 games thus far this season, he's only played 47 NHL games! It's gonna take some time to see just how good (or bad) this kid can become and how this trade, essentially Kassian for Hodgson, turns out.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page