Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Boston
 Boston owns the Leafs Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest2773
( )

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  07:34:21  Reply with Quote
I think Boston has won their 8th straight game vs Toronto, a streak that goes back 3 years now. I know Boston is a good to great team and Toronto has been rebuilding but to win that many in a row, it must be getting in their heads. I think this streak is the longest in this very long riverly.

It doesnt help that Seguin has been lighting it up against them while Kessel has been very unproductive against his former team. I think Toronto is on the right track building a tough team to take on Boston and hopefully in the future get that lucky goal or a bad goaltending performance(Boston) to beat them. anyways what your thoughts on this matchup.

Guest2660
( )

Posted - 03/08/2013 :  13:20:29  Reply with Quote
I think that Toronto is on the cusp of turning this streak around. Last nights game proved to me that its only a matter of time.

Toronto is a tougher team than Boston, no takers after that Frasor fight when he beat McQuaid. That kept Lucic, and Thornton in check and i thought that if it wasn't for Khobodin, the Leafs would have won this game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2104
( )

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  03:30:45  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2660

I think that Toronto is on the cusp of turning this streak around. Last nights game proved to me that its only a matter of time.

Toronto is a tougher team than Boston, no takers after that Frasor fight when he beat McQuaid. That kept Lucic, and Thornton in check and i thought that if it wasn't for Khobodin, the Leafs would have won this game.

If you think the Leafs are a tougher team than the Bruins I detect major bias. I'm a Ducks fan and I without question can say that Boston is the toughest team in the league, The reason Thornton, Lucic etc. probably didn't fight is because they are more useful for their team on the ice than spending 5 minutes in the box, potentially giving the Leafs a momentum shift, while defending a lead...
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  09:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2660

Yeah, I would completely disagree with this comment as well. Boston is the toughest, or mininmally top 5 toughest teams in the league. The Leafs are playing a more physical style of hockey this year but I would not put them top 5. Closer to 8-12.

To comment on Boston's dominance, they do this to other teams too. Not just the Leafs. But, because I like rubbing salt in wounds:

What would the Leafs look like today without Kessel but with Seguin and Hamilton?? Heck, what about the Leafs with those two guys plus Raask in net??
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  15:28:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Toronto maple leafs are not tougher than Boston but they surely are NOT shaking in their skates now, like they used to be.

The Bruins right now DO NOT scare the leafs one little bit.....none what - so - ever.....diffrent leafs team all together.

The leafs are getting much better and very consistent quickly.

I can`t remember when the leafs beat Philly so convincingly as they did this season and went into Boston and lost by just 1 goal ( i don`t count empty netters ).

Not only losing by just 1 goal but deserved the game just as much as Boston did...if you watched the game.

The leafs are just 1 great center-ice-man.....a bonafied goalie......and true D-man leader ( 6-7 ) million dollar player away from being a very, very good hockey team.

Phaneuf makes this D-man $$$$$, but is a long, long way from being the leader the leafs thought they had. He is argueablely a 2-3 million dollar player who constantly turns over pucks and constantly gets caught giving up 2 on 1`s .....over and over again
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  16:08:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke, i've heard this argument before, and i'm not sure if it was from you, but all things considered, i'd venture to guess at least 3/4 of the teams in the NHL are "1 great center-ice-man.....a bonafied goalie......and true D-man leader ( 6-7 ) million dollar player" from being a "very, very good hockey team".

Regardless, all this "toughness" talk is crazy. The "tougher" team doesn't always win. I agree, overall toughness edge still goes to the Bruins over the Leafs, but this isn't the sole reason the B's have such a good streak going vs Toronto. If that was the case, and if they were in fact the "toughest team", they'd be winning all their games, no? Why is it the Habs have been able to beat them? This "toughness" thing is important at times, but it's not the be all end all!
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  16:26:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alex, when you refer to 3 quarters ( 75 % ) of the entire NHL, in relation to one great center-ice-man ( as i posted ).....are you saying that 75 % of the 30 NHL teams don`t have a number 1 center ??....

You see, the leafs DO NOT have anything CLOSE to a number one Center-ice-man ( barring Kadri turns into one ) .........are you saying that 75 % of the entire league are in this same boat ??....i don`t think so.

If anything, 75 % of the entire league have a bonafied # 1 center and i`d say 50 % of the entire league have maybe 2.

Tyler Bozak is a good hockey player but is nowhere in the same category as a true # 1 center...in fact, i`d say.....Tyler Bozak may and only may, make 3rd string center on a true cup contender.

But, never-the-less.....this is what the leafs have for its # 1 unit, night - in and night - out. Most nights when kessel and JVR do score, Bozak isn`t even in the play...nowhere to be seen.

This is why i say the leafs the leafs desperately need a great ( # 1 ) center.....a true # 1 who can set up power plays, set up his wingers and lead a team.

Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  17:48:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once Randy Carlyle chooses a goalie he sees fit to bonafy, that guy will be bonafied, and a plume of white smoke will emerge from the chimneys of the ACC. Seriously. Bonafied? Read a book.

The Oil WILL make the playoffs in 2013.

Edited by - OILINONTARIO on 03/10/2013 17:49:02
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  19:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....Oil what the hell are you talking about besides posting fun-making jibberish ??

This ( your post ) is nothing more than typical fun making of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Now, trust me, i`m a big boy and my leaf fan feelings are not hurt lmao......i think the time is soon coming ( over the next 2 - 3 years ) when the hockey world outside of leaf - land won`t be making too much more fun of the leafs

When this change occurs, ( and it is happening ) i bet it will be a long, long time before this fun making jibberish re-surfaces...
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  21:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke....fair enough. I concede, most teams do in fact have a true #1 center. However, my point really was that you're saying the leafs are a stud at each position away from being "very very good". So, add 3 studs, one at each position, and they're very very good? Now, take away the Chicago's, the Bostons, the Pittsburgh's and all the other teams you consider very very good and tell me which teams wouldn't be in that same situation if you gave them a stud at each spot??? Sure, there's prob a handful of teams out there which still need some parts, but there's a bunch who are in the same spot as the Leafs. I guess what i'm getting at is your wish list is a little insane, as in BIG. You may have the stud dman in Rielly, though his being an impact could be 3-5 years away yet but the C and G are still a big need!

I do agree. The Leafs need that true #1 center in a bad way and it would improve the team drastically. BUT, there's still work there and that's what i mean when i say your wish list is quite hopeful!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  07:16:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OILINONTARIO

Once Randy Carlyle chooses a goalie he sees fit to bonafy, that guy will be bonafied, and a plume of white smoke will emerge from the chimneys of the ACC. Seriously. Bonafied? Read a book.

FYI, OilinOntario - bonafied is, in fact, a popular bastardisation of the term "bona fide", latin for "in good faith; something which is real/actual".

So no, it's not a real English word . . . but it is a well-known colloquial word that has been used in print and on air by many.

I would suggest that this is nitpicking of the highest order, and caution you against throwing stones in glass houses!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4350
( )

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  07:30:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke
The leafs are just 1 great center-ice-man.....a bonafied goalie......and true D-man leader ( 6-7 ) million dollar player away from being a very, very good hockey team.

This is funny since it follows right after Beans pointed out the fact that they could subtract Kessel and add Seguin, Hamilton and kept Rask instead of giving him away. The exact three pieces Toronto needs. But somehow the Leafs won the Kessel trade too.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  09:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Kessel deal aside, and sure, it's 2/3 of what has been discussed (Seguin and Hamilton as the C and D), the Rask trade is some serious hindsight. Pretty much every team has made a bad trade or two that we can look back upon and say "what if". Some, like the Kessel deal, may be easier due to the risk of the 1st rounder but others have to be looked at differently. The real mistake in giving up Rask was one of the main reasons they were willing to deal him in the first place. They were certain that Justin Pogge was their goalie of the future. THAT, definitely didn't pan out as they expected.

What's the worst part about the Raycroft / Rask deal though? I think it has to be that when Raycroft didn't pan out, the Leafs dealt a 1st rounder to the Sharks for Vesa Toskala. And who did that 1st rounder turn out to be you ask? Yup, sorry Leafers, back to back 30 goal man Logan Couture. Oh, and his 10 goals this year put him on a pro-rated 82 game sched total of 34 goals.
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  10:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

FYI, OilinOntario - bonafied is, in fact, a popular bastardisation of the term "bona fide", latin for "in good faith; something which is real/actual".

So no, it's not a real English word . . . but it is a well-known colloquial word that has been used in print and on air by many.

I would suggest that this is nitpicking of the highest order, and caution you against throwing stones in glass houses!

"Nitpicking of the highest order"? Not really. It's just wrong. To use 'bonafied', or 'bonified' suggests that one could bonafy someone, or have someone bonify them. Just using a bit of humor to point out that it sounds like an action that may occur in the Catholic Church. Bonafication, that is. I think I should get bonus points for inadvertently upsetting a couple of Leafs' fans with a harmless comment.

Go to Top of Page

andyhack
PickupHockey Pro

Japan
891 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  21:21:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just heard that Quentin Tarantino's next movie is going to be called,

"Bonafied Bruin Bastards"

A bunch of Leafs led by Phil Kessel set out on a mission to collect the scalps of any Bruin that could have easily been a Leaf.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Two goals and two assists in a huge game = a bona fide contribution
Go to Top of Page

Leafs81
PickupHockey Pro

735 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  11:31:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Toronto needs a 1st line center. No doubt there. As for the true leader on defense. Sorry but I think Dion Phaneuf is exactly that. He's not top in the league, but he's still a legit #1 defense. He plays against the opposition top players, he anchors the power play, plays shorthanded. He's way more solid under Carlyle than Wilson and it shows this year.

As for the topic. Toughness, a lot of people pointed that out. Toughness is not just fighting and checking (which the Leafs are leading the NHL for both) it's also how to protect the puck with your body. The Toronto forwards are getting knocked off the puck often against big defense like the Boston Bruins have. And guys like Lucic and Horton just goes in the zone and cycle the puck using their body. Although the Leafs got bigger on D this year, they are still young and with not a whole lot of experience at the NHL level.

so yes, Boston has an edge and that edge is less significant this year, that's why we see good games now compare to last year where every game against Boston were a blow out. That and the fact that they are playing Randy Carlyle's system, instead of Wilson's (which had so many holes in it was just unreal and painful to watch)

A guy like Kessel is not having success against his former team, and there is one reason, Chara. Kessel is having a hard time to figure out how to beat that guy, and I don't blame him.

not just toughness, mostly size. This year better. Chara gets the best of Kessel. Success soon. Carlyle good.

Edited by - Leafs81 on 03/13/2013 11:32:34
Go to Top of Page

OILINONTARIO
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
816 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2013 :  19:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyhack

I just heard that Quentin Tarantino's next movie is going to be called,

"Bonafied Bruin Bastards"

A bunch of Leafs led by Phil Kessel set out on a mission to collect the scalps of any Bruin that could have easily been a Leaf.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Two goals and two assists in a huge game = a bona fide contribution

A bonafiably profound post. Love it!

Go to Top of Page

Guest2686
( )

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  15:48:38  Reply with Quote
Tonites the night the Leafs put a beating on the bruins.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2491
( )

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  17:49:36  Reply with Quote
You cant beat the law of averages
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2013 :  21:12:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2686

I didn't get to see the game, but a 3-2 score doesn't seem like a "beating"? Was there a bunch of big hits and fights that the Leafs "beat" them with?
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  00:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

I didn't get to see the game, but a 3-2 score doesn't seem like a "beating"? Was there a bunch of big hits and fights that the Leafs "beat" them with?

It was not a beating. TOR was outshot 33-13, bruins hit at least 2 posts and were all over the leafs in the second half of the game. Reimer stole the game, he was great, while khudobin was not good at all.

But TOR won, which is all that matters in the end
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2013 :  10:14:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks Nuxfan. Sounds like the beating the Canucks put on the Kings then.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2013 :  06:52:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

quote:

It was not a beating. TOR was outshot 33-13, bruins hit at least 2 posts and were all over the leafs in the second half of the game. Reimer stole the game, he was great, while khudobin was not good at all.

But TOR won, which is all that matters in the end

A win is a win is a win. Toronto actually controlled most of the game, although clearly the shot total doesn't reflect that. The Bruins had their chances, but they were largely of the perimeter kind. Both Bruin goals Reimer didn't see. And Bruins hit one post, Toronto about 3 . . . and no, they don't count as shots on goal, ha ha (always disagreed with that one myself).

It was . . . a 'bona fide' win.

The circle is complete! I could care less if the Leafs lose tonight in the Bruins barn, the curse has been lifted!

Go to Top of Page

Guest2740
( )

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  02:55:55  Reply with Quote
Well i guess its the begining of another 8 in a row streak for Boston. That means Toronto can expect their next win sometime in 2015.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  04:35:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2740

Well i guess its the begining of another 8 in a row streak for Boston. That means Toronto can expect their next win sometime in 2015.

Dear Guest 2740,

I hope you are eating Cornflakes this morning, because I feel a sudden great urge to relieve myself.

Yours Truly.

slozo

Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2013 :  15:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockey is a funny game.

The leafs just played an home and home series againist the Bruins ( one of the NHL`s TOP teams ) and came away with 3 points out of a possible 4.......impressive no ?

Funny thing is, the best game the leafs played this year ( in my opinion ) was the previous game againist the Bruins ( 3 games ago ) .....a game which they lost 4 - 2 ( empty netter ).......a game which they DIDN`T receive a SINGLE point !!!!!!!

I`m very glad the leafs obtained 3 points in these last 2 games but they impressed me the most in that 4 - 2 loss. They ( the leafs ) were flying the whole night and gave Boston all they could handle....thats the kind of hockey i like to see.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2332
( )

Posted - 03/27/2013 :  09:57:25  Reply with Quote
everybody owns the leafs...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page