Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Columbus
 Columbus Blue Jackets in a Playoff Spot Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  11:54:14  Reply with Quote
In today's standings, Columbus sits tied for 8th in the Western Conference.

About 4 weeks ago, the Blue Jackets were dead last in the NHL, and they were facing off against the top team in the NHL (Chicago), trying to end the Hawks regulation winning streak.

They came up short, losing 1-0 on a goal scored with 1 1/2 minutes remaining in the game. Crawford was amazing in net, stopping all 28 Columbus shots. And the Blue Jackets were without three pretty good players – Jack Johnston, Artem Anisimov and Brandon Dubinsky.

Going into that game, the Blue Jackets had seven losses in their previous ten games, but all but one of these losses were decided by one goal. And their wins included two wins over Detroit, and a decisive 6-2 win over the Sharks. So they were definitely as bad as they looked in the standings.

Since that 1-0 loss to Chicago, the Blue Jackets (with the noted injured players back in their line-up) have gone on to post a record of 7-0-4 in their last 11 games. (No regulation losses in their last 11 games!)

Included in those wins are two wins over Detroit (they seem to have the Red Wings number), and all but one game has been decided by one goal.

The Blue Jackets are in almost every game they play, and they're starting to be on the right side of the ledger in one goal games.

If they can keep it up (how's that for a safe prediction), they have a good chance of making the playoffs. (Or be close.)

In both conferences, there will be 5-6 teams battling for the final 1-2 playoff spots. The difference between 7th-12th (or maybe 5th-13th) in both conferences will probably come down to a difference of 1-2 wins, and those wins being one goal games which could have gone either way, the kinda games Columbus is starting to win!

Statman
Rookie

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2013 :  12:38:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm rooting for them. They've been a league doormat for so long.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2013 :  05:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's funny how things even out sometimes - I had picked them before the season to actually be a contender for a playoff spot IF a bunch of things went right for them . . . and a few weeks into the season thought to myself "same old Columbus I guess". But yeah, they are showing me what I had looked at before.

A very solid defence; decent goaltending; decent depth scoring.

They are young in many key areas too, so it's an upward trend from here on in I think. Would be so refreshing to see them in the playoffs, but then again . . . the hockey fan in me would rather a team like that move to a true hockey market in Quebec City or Toronto area.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 03/22/2013 :  18:33:28  Reply with Quote
After tonight's 5-1 win over the Flames, it's twelve games In a row (and counting) for games without a regulation loss for the Blue Jackets.

They're on a roll right now, and for a team which finished dead last in the NHL last season, they are in playoff contention right now, with 1/3 of the season to go.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page