Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 RNH – 3 Goals – Really? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest4178
( )

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  13:33:01  Reply with Quote
I know Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is more of a set-up player than a goal scorer, but for him to have only 3 goals in 37 games played has to be an underachievement.

In his rookie season, RNH tallied 18 goals and 34 assists in 62 games played, so he does know how to put the puck in the net at the NHL level.

In fairness, RNH had a bit more luck last year (pucks found a way to go in for him), and he's a bit snake-bitten this season.

Still – 3 goals in 37 games is not enough for a player of his calibre. A player who plays on the first line, and one who gets first line time on the power play.

On his own team, Jeff Petry has the same number of goals as RNH, and Ryan Whitney has one more goal than RNH.

And where does 3 goals put RNH in the current rankings for goals scored? How about tied for 327th in the NHL!

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  14:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I mentioned in a thread a month or so ago that RNH could possibly be shut down due to his shoulder injury. I still believe this is affecting him and won't be surprised if he has some sort of repair done as soon as the season is done. Having said that, it's also possible that 3-4 months of rest could be what it needs and surgery can be avoided. Either way, i'm guessing he's playing hurt.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4608
( )

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  14:45:44  Reply with Quote
Landeskog has 3 shorthanded goals this year. The Avalanche really lucked out with the Oilers taking RNH first.
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  15:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest4608

Landeskog has 3 shorthanded goals this year. The Avalanche really lucked out with the Oilers taking RNH first.

Awfully early to be throwing that out there. You're basically saying that Landeskog is going to be the better NHLer over the next 10-15 years? Many rookies go through a sophmore slump in year 2. RNH is no exception. I find it hard to believe he won't bounce back and the Oilers will be happy with their choice in the end.

Brandon Saad was a 2nd rounder that same draft year and is doing quite well this season. Does that mean he's gonna be a better NHLer than RNH as well?
Go to Top of Page

@valanche
Rookie

Canada
240 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2013 :  17:30:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RNH is just having a bad year and possibly playing injured as well.
I regard to the Landeskog comment I think we can safely say both teams are going to be happy with the players they got going forward. The two are completely different types of players also.

I will say Landeskog is going to be the better scorer of the two.

66 is > than 99
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  07:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching Ryan Nuggent Hopkins play, he seems like he isn't at 100% or a step off. Home fan have boo'ed him a lot this year as well. Dont know if the boo'ing has affected his game, but I do believe he is playing injured. Of the top prospects, he does seem to be the one not living up to his potential.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  15:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don`t see him play alot but he seems to me to be very, very small in his general built. I don`t mean his height so much but his upper body, generally. He looks frail and weak in upper body strength.

Maybe i`m wrong with this, but this is how he appears to me.

If this be the case, playing against much stronger players will be very difficult at the NHL level.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4377
( )

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  17:23:06  Reply with Quote
Duke - I don't disagree with you, but RNH is listed at 6'1" and 185 pounds, about the same size as Nazem Kadri, who is 6'0" and 188 pounds.

But RNH does not appear to be as strong as Kadri, and for those watching the Leafs-Habs game tonight, you know what I mean. (Kadri served up a couple of big hits in the first period, something Kadri has been doing more of this season.)

But Kadri turns 23 this year, and RNH just turned 20 yesterday (April 12th). RNH will be fine. He will fill out more over the next few years, he will get stronger, and his play will improve.

I don't know if he's playing injured, but regardless, he will improve. There's too much skill and talent in his makeup, for which better years are sure to come!

Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2013 :  21:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Don`t see him play alot but he seems to me to be very, very small in his general built. I don`t mean his height so much but his upper body, generally. He looks frail and weak in upper body strength.

Maybe i`m wrong with this, but this is how he appears to me.

If this be the case, playing against much stronger players will be very difficult at the NHL level.

His size didn't seem to be an issue last year, when he had 18g and 54 points as a rookie... why do you think his size is suddenly an issue now?

I too think he's injured, or at least not 100%, but as long as EDM has a sniff at the playoffs he'll play through whatever it is. The moment they're out of the running, we'll see if something else is revealed. He's been injured this year - first his shoulder gave him problems in Feb, then a groin pull the same month - perhaps one of those didn't heal 100%.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2013 :  12:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nuxfan, don,t you think that these possible nagging health issues for Rnh you are referring to can possibly be caused by his lack of body strength which I am talking about ??..........this is what I am getting at......physically, maybe he just isn't,t ready...........as for a good rookie season, this is quite common and then a drop off next year.......maybe last season he wasn't,t paid much attention to, as a rookie but is being focused on more this season by opposing coaches, after all, he is the oilers 1st line centre isn't,t he ??.........when you are top dog, you play against the elite defenders of opposing teams, ALL GAME LONG !!!!......
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2013 :  16:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duke, without a doubt, RNH needs to grow his game and his physical strength. Sure, he may get bumped off the puck more today than he will in years to come, but it's not as though he's tiny. It surely could have a slight affect on him and his numbers this year but there are so many smaller guys who've had success at all ages that i wouldn't think for a second RNH can't do the same, even if he remained on the small size.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  08:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke

Nuxfan, don,t you think that these possible nagging health issues for Rnh you are referring to can possibly be caused by his lack of body strength which I am talking about ??..........this is what I am getting at......physically, maybe he just isn't,t ready...........as for a good rookie season, this is quite common and then a drop off next year.......maybe last season he wasn't,t paid much attention to, as a rookie but is being focused on more this season by opposing coaches, after all, he is the oilers 1st line centre isn't,t he ??.........when you are top dog, you play against the elite defenders of opposing teams, ALL GAME LONG !!!!......

If that were the case, I'd expect every player that was under 6'0 and 200 lbs to be permanently injured or have constant nagging injuries, given that they all play in the same NHL against the same big guys, and in many cases ALL GAME LONG.

The sophomore slump - perhaps, it does happen. I still think he looks a step behind, so we'll see what happens in the offseason, or at least once the Oil are officially out of the playoff hunt.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2013 :  10:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all due respect to those very smart hockey people out there, if you don't watch a player it's pretty hard to make judgements.

Let's look at this for a second. RNH had a very solid rookie season. He also had the benefit of playing with Eberle who had a career year and Hall until he was injured. Then he played with Gagner.

This season, he played with Eberle almost exclusively, who is also down in production. The other winger has ranged from Hall to Hemsky, Petrell, Paajarvi, Gagner, Jones, Smyth.

Thirdly, he did have a slow start recovering from an injury last season.

That said, Hopkins does not often get 'knocked off the puck' and certainly not any more than any other player in the league. He is a smaller guy, but not unlike guys like Kadri and Kane, he plays with his size very well.

22 pts in 37 games is a down turn and the 3 goals is a shocking number. I am perfectly fine with calling this a sophmore slump. He is not playing as well, his line mates are not consitent or playing as well, and he was coming off an injury. But as far as the injury goes I don't belive it to be a long term issue. Nuge had just 7 pts in his first 20 games this season and 15 pts in his last 17 games.

He will be fine.
Go to Top of Page

The Duke
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1239 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2013 :  16:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nix fan, I didn't say all small players are always injured......I was mostly referring to strength, there is a difference in size and strength.....look at m. Stlouis....ken linsmen.....Dino .cic......plenty of small players are very strong and tough........just that right now Rnh doesn't look like one of them.......I'm sure he will bulk up in the future., you certainly need to when playing against men.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  11:35:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=421366

...and nagging injury it is. It sounds like this injury might even pre-date his NHL days?

Duke - I get the feeling you don't watch EDM very often... suffice to say, RHN does not look out of place strength-wise or ability-wise in the lineup. He's not going to knock anyone on their a$$ or grind players into the corners, but he's plenty able to take care of himself on the ice, and gets a fair amount of attention when he plays. Nothing much has changed in that regard, between last year when he had 50-ish points, and this year when he had far less points. Therefore, it is more likely to think that something else is wrong, and it seems that there is.

Edited by - nuxfan on 04/21/2013 11:36:44
Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2013 :  12:26:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't wanna go around saying "i told ya so", but......I TOLD YA SO!

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

I mentioned in a thread a month or so ago that RNH could possibly be shut down due to his shoulder injury. I still believe this is affecting him and won't be surprised if he has some sort of repair done as soon as the season is done. Having said that, it's also possible that 3-4 months of rest could be what it needs and surgery can be avoided. Either way, i'm guessing he's playing hurt.

Edited by - Alex116 on 04/21/2013 12:27:17
Go to Top of Page

Guest8670
( )

Posted - 04/23/2013 :  15:16:14  Reply with Quote
Ya, he's definitely off his game, playing hurt. And ya, waaayyyy too early to throw out the idea of COL being lucky that EDM picked RNH, they are both talented hockey players, but mark my words, RNH will definitely end up being the better player. RNH is a #1 pick, Landeskog is a #1A, both very good.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2013 :  09:22:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8670

Ya, he's definitely off his game, playing hurt. And ya, waaayyyy too early to throw out the idea of COL being lucky that EDM picked RNH, they are both talented hockey players, but mark my words, RNH will definitely end up being the better player. RNH is a #1 pick, Landeskog is a #1A, both very good.

As an outsider looking in, I agree. RNH's pure skills are much higher than Landeskog's, in my opinion.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2013 :  13:57:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think any team would complain about having either Landeskog or RNH.

I am not very happy about the need for shoulder surgery. Considering what Hall did this season after getting his wing fixed, things can only get better.

Hopefully the Oilers can play spoiler and keep Minny out of the playoffs tonight. That is the only thing I am looking forward to until the fall. Unless the Oilers get another #1 pick.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page