Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Pittsburgh
 should the Pens trade Maata? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2017 :  08:20:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what they could acquire in return but currently he is a liability.

http://thehockeywriters.com/olli-maatta-creating-situation-in-pittsburgh/

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  09:57:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Relative to his junior career (and other leagues) he seems to be having an off year in the NHL, but he doesn't seem to be in 'decline'. He had a great rookie campaign but can you really count a rookie year for anyone not in the elite level of NHL'ers?

His sophmore year he played only 20 games and put up a PPG better than his first year. Not a decline.

His 3rd year he played 67 games and put up 27 points. Not too shabby for a 21 year old. Slightly off his rookie year pace, but it was following an injury year. Can't put full stock in that.

So it seems to me like this is his only 'off' year (54 games and 17 points) So I agree with the author that this year is bad, but I don't think that he has been in downward spiral since he started. I think his overall production rate is still being established.

Having said that, I haven't watched too many Pittsburgh games so I can't speak to his play. Sounds like some trouble there...or is the author just picking him apart for an article?

It's common for players to take a dip after rookie campaigns. Throw in some injuries and the journey back can take a little longer. What I can say is that if they keep dropping his icetime like they have in the last 8 games he'll start losing confidence and we all know how hard that is to get back.
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2017 :  12:00:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But his ice time has been cut for good reason. Something not really mentioned in the article are recent mental lapses. Example in a game a couple weeks ago (don't remember the opponent) Maata was defending with a teammate in a 2 on 2. Maata covered the puck holder as he should while the other defender (Letang maybe) dropped back to prevent a through pass as he should. When the opponent with the puck passed off to his teammate Maata's defensive partner moved in to cover him as he should; but so did Maata! the uncovered attacker advance down the ice to receive a pass and an easy shot on goal (and fortunate save) But this is the type of tactical error a rookie should not make.

Did you hear about the retired proctologist? He spent 40 years saying "what's a place like this doing in a girl like you?"

Edited by - umteman on 02/22/2017 11:03:13
Go to Top of Page

leigh

Canada
1755 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  09:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed, not a smart play. But is this happening all the time? The article suggested it was (I can't comment on that)

I imagine that they are not just cutting his ice time, hopefully they are also working on that part of his game, because we obviously can see his potential. Confidence is a big thing and in some it's pretty fragile in the younger years.

How much time is left in his contract?
Go to Top of Page

umteman
PickupHockey Pro

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  11:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He signed a six year deal for $24.5 million right about a year ago. Granted these types of mental lapses don't happen all the time but often enough to have resulted in the reduced ice time and my initial comment "not sure what they could acquire in return."

Go to Top of Page

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2017 :  15:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure the return they could get for him would justify it at this point? I'm with you though Umteman, I have no idea what he'd fetch them today?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page