Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference - Atlantic Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Ottawa
 What's Wrong With The Senators? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/22/2007 :  22:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Senators can't seem to win lately. They have lost the last four out of five I think it is? Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal and Pittsburg have all beaten them recently. Maybe they have just lost their edge after the big start or is it something else?

Edited by - willus3 on 12/03/2007 16:21:59

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  00:35:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone flipped their calenders ahead and they thought they were in the playoffs again...hahhha...oh to easy
Go to Top of Page

Senators315
Top Prospect

Canada
30 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  05:45:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
big deal... it happens to every team, they will start winning again and its still early in the season. Lots of games still to play!

Edited by - Senators315 on 11/23/2007 05:46:22
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  06:51:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are probably correct in that it is just a mini-slump. It is hard to keep up a fast and furious pace like they were on. I have Alfredsson, Fisher and Emery on my pool team and was just looking for a little insight. Also, the more times they beat up on the other conference rivals the better chance my team has of getting the final playoff spot. That Emery problem with Gerber has been killing me and Fisher has not helped me much since Spezza came back and knocked him off the first line. Nothing wrong with Alfie though. He is one of the smartest players I have ever seen.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9253
( )

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  07:45:51  Reply with Quote
Sens dominated pittsburgh last night so that is a tough one for them to swallow...They appear to lose only to under .500 teams which leads me to believe that when they feel they need to play hard they are better than anyone and otherwise...
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  08:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guest 9253, I know how that feels. I tried to follow the game as best as I could on the NHL channel but of course I was only getting snippets and highlights but I thought the Sens had the game under control alright. I would have thought someone down here would have picked that game up with Sid and the first place team going at it? There are some regional agreements going on between the Leafs and the Sens that I can't quite figure out. Sportsnet had the Mtl/Ott game listed the other night and when I tried to watch it, it was blacked out even though the Leafs weren't playing? Anybody know what's up with that? I could understand it if they were playing on the same night.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9252
( )

Posted - 11/23/2007 :  12:57:32  Reply with Quote
I was actually at the ottawa game and it was a pay-per-view game. I am also wondering about the TV coverage of games because there have been a couple games listed now that ottawa was playing and were not shown or started to be shown part way through the game? Also there are some leafs games we supposed to be lucky enough to watch but now we are sometimes getting blocked out of those too so I have no idea whether a game is going to be on or not...
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  08:14:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the game has to be sold old in order for it too air on Television for some games. Perhaps they were not?

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Leafs Rock Planet
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
902 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  08:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Antroman

The Senators can't seem to win lately. They have lost the last four out of five I think it is? Toronto, Buffalo, Montreal and Pittsburg have all beaten them recently. Maybe they have just lost their edge after the big start or is it something else?

This is actually kind of funny because they are playing like a normal hockey club.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9477
( )

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  10:02:25  Reply with Quote
Sure the sens have been playing good but now they have been like a normal hockey club. They will go on another streak but too bad they cant do anything when it matters(except last season) in the playoffs!!
Alfie is nothing and he is nowhere close to where Sundin is. Sundin is a better leader and better player. Alfie is just soft.
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2007 :  11:27:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alfie or Sundin: Seems like a good new topic question? Alfie is younger and I think a much more adept player when you are talking fancy playmaking ability. Matts is the bigger and more physical of the two and has the better slap shot, Alfie the more accurate wrist shot. Matts is more of a power forward and Alfie more of a puck wizard. Both are great leaders and both can accomdate the press in a smart and honest way. You pick 'em. I like them both for all the reason's I've said. Alfie does have a better supporting cast though?
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  12:41:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to see the sens slipping, thought they were going to end the season like 70-12-0

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Guest9477
( )

Posted - 11/30/2007 :  14:01:43  Reply with Quote
Im a leafs fan and seeing the sens losing is the second best thing in T.O(besides the leafs winning). The sens have been breezing threw games but now teams know that they have to play their heart out against them just like the leafs did in the first loss of this losing streak... guess there not going to go like 75-5-2... leafs have to heat up now and they will be a playoff team soon.... GO LEAFS GO
Go to Top of Page

Guest2918
( )

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  12:19:12  Reply with Quote
FUNNY HOW A TOPIC ABOUT A GREAT TEAM LIKE OTTAWA BRINGS OUT THE FANS OF A BASEMENT DWELLER LIKE THE LEAFS. THE LEAFS COULDNT HANDLE A 5 GAME LOSING STREAK AND STILL MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. SENS STILL CONFERENCE LEADERS. LOT OF INJURIES TO KEY PLAYERS AND REDDEN NOT PLAYING LIKE HIMSELF.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  18:09:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love these forums with 500 amateur coaches / GMs who have no clue and have theory after theory after theory

No offence. In fact, I respect everybody in these forums. You all clearly know your hockey, arguably better than I do.

But isn't this just obvious? It's just sloppy play. which leads to a loss, which leads to lack of momentum, which leads to sloppy play, which leads to a loss, which leads to lack of momentum.

This holds true almost every time an NHL team can't seem to win. Hockey is about consistency. Hot streaks and cold streaks come and go.

Sundin is better at thiry six than most of the NHL
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  18:15:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I love these forums with 500 amateur coaches / GMs who have no clue and have theory after theory after theory

No offence. In fact, I respect everybody in these forums. You all clearly know your hockey, arguably better than I do.

But isn't this just obvious? It's just sloppy play. which leads to a loss, which leads to lack of momentum, which leads to sloppy play, which leads to a loss, which leads to lack of momentum.

This holds true almost every time an NHL team can't seem to win. Hockey is about consistency. Hot streaks and cold streaks come and go.

Sundin is better at thiry six than most of the NHL

Yes, hot streaks and cold streaks come and go, I agree. The senators were a stanley cup team for the past 3 years and maybe they still are. A lot of people are surprised, TSN, CBC and Sportsnet all compared this team to the old montreal canadiens. Saying that the team is doing better than the habs who only lost 8 regular season games I believe.

This cold streak for the sens, it's a big deal to a lot of people, all teams are going to have their ups and downs. Just goes to show how in the NHL, every team can win and lose.

GO PREDATORS GO

Edited by - nashvillepreds on 12/01/2007 18:16:37
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  21:24:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just re-read my opening post on this topic and am starting to wonder if this losing streak really is something else. A couple of questions: Has the rest of the Eastern conference simply caught up to them after their great start? Is there some discention on the team starting with the goalie confrontation between Emery and Gerber? Do you think they can just turn it on anytime they feel like it? Is the rumour regarding them not having the cap space to sign Redden for next year bothering the team? Has anyone got any ideas because I can't figure it out? Maybe a combination of all those things or a little bit of bad luck?
Go to Top of Page

irvine
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1315 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2007 :  21:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9477

Im a leafs fan and seeing the sens losing is the second best thing in T.O(besides the leafs winning). The sens have been breezing threw games but now teams know that they have to play their heart out against them just like the leafs did in the first loss of this losing streak... guess there not going to go like 75-5-2... leafs have to heat up now and they will be a playoff team soon.... GO LEAFS GO

I don't think Ottawa losing a few games, suddenly makes the Leafs a playoff team. Even if they turn the heat up "a bit." They need some changes on and off the ice, before they become a playoff team any time soon. In five years, maybe. :) Sorry.

Irvine
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  06:58:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another loss.

But somehow I don't see any forums 'Fire John Paddock, Fire John Muckler.' The reason?

If it ain't broke, ya don't fix it. And I'm telling you, 'tis but a scratch for the Sens. Look. they were bound to lose a certain amount of losses anyways, yes? The way I see it they are just playing with odds.

Almost no losses through sixteen games, then six (or five? I lost count) straight.

Kipper for Lundqvist?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy12
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  13:46:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They just got over confident I think, in themselves and their goaltender. and yeah it does happen to every team, they'll snap out of it and go on a huge win streak come christmas

[IMG]http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x49/Jeremy12_24/spezza_sig21.jpg[/IMG]
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  17:44:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After they lose 20 games straight, then we can get worried. Weren't the Rangers something like the last team to win on the road this season? Weren't they 30th in scoring? They grew out of that and the sens will grow out of this.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy12
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  17:45:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was out for one game

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy12
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  17:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

They're not too confident

If anything, they lost all confidence

Alfie got injured they lost. They tried to go back to basics, and lost their natural instinct and cool and collected playing style. And now they feel pressured and can't play with a 10 game cushion anymore. It's a hole, but they'll climb out

Kipper for Lundqvist?

He was out for one game
and you can get to confident because once you go on win streaks like that then you think its a automatic win the next game

Edited by - Jeremy12 on 12/02/2007 17:48:26
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  17:49:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not at NHL level

Just listen to their interviews. They aren't confident. They are casual. Because when you play your hockey, you win games. Teams under pressure can't do that. They lose.

Kipper for Lundqvist?
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy12
Rookie

Canada
105 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  17:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone talks like that during interviews
I understand what your saying but...

Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  17:54:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust me. It's the reason for their success.

Look at a team like the Pens. There, you have a case. A bunch of young guns fresh out of junior take a team from last to fifth

There, you have a case.

Crosby, Malkin, Armstrong, Orpik, Christensin, Talbot, Fleury...

Yeah, overconfident. Not Ottawa, no siree.

Kipper for Lundqvist?
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  17:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not at NHL level

Just listen to their interviews. They aren't confident. They are casual. Because when you play your hockey, you win games. Teams under pressure can't do that. They lose.

Kipper for Lundqvist?

In every sport they all say the same thing during interviews. You can't depend on interviews. The typical interview.

Repoter: How is your team going to step up and win this next game?

Player: You know uh, we just gotta stick to the gameplan and uh, work with the whple team here.

Reporter: How is the atmosphere on your team right now?

Player: Well uh, you know uh, we're all pretty psyched for this one and we just gotta play well.

Whether it's footbal, hockey, soccer, baseball, basketball, whatever the sport, this is the reply you're going to get.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  18:03:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allen Iverson and his comment about practice? Terrel Owens?

Messier saying game 7 is their's? I dont think so.

Kipper for Lundqvist?
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  18:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any normal interview. I'm not talking about Owens or Iverson or the game 7.

Listen to most of the players now, what do they say?

They just repeat the same thing over and over again.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  18:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were actually very confident before Alfie got injured, that really rocked the team and now they just can't seem to find the momentum they need.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2007 :  18:26:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They played their hearts out every game. They didn't show any signs of confidence on or off the ice.

Please explain why everyone thinks they are confident. Just because a team is doing well and everyone is jumping the bandwagon, doesnt mean they go conceited.

Kipper for Lundqvist?
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  06:46:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not saying they're conceited.

If Ovechkin can be over confident after scoring 2 goals and his team getting beaten, I think the sens can be confident that they are doing well.

Either way, Alfie's injury really shook them up regardless of how much time he missed.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  06:49:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alfie did shake them up.

It's the whole morale issue. Spezza left, they were winning. Without your captain, we see how different the story is.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Guest2918
( )

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  07:59:20  Reply with Quote
IM A BIG OTTAWA FAN AND THERE IS LARGER ISSUES THAN THE CAPTAIN INJURED HERE. REDDEN WHO USUALLY CAPTAINS THE POWERPLAY WITH A POINT SHOT AND GOOD POSITIONING ISNT PLAYING LIKE HE HAS IN THE PAST, PROBABLY CONTRACT ISSUES. GERBER GOOD GOALTENDER BUT NOT CONSISTANT. EMERY NOT THE HORSE I WOULD RIDE TO THE PLAYOFFS. PAST THE ONE TRICK HORSE #1 LINE NOT DEEP IN OFFENSE ON #2-3 LINES. AGAIN I AM A BIG FAN BUT THEY GOTTA GET DEPTH ON #2 AND TRADE OR SOW UP REDDEN. THE GOALTENDER CONTROVERSY HAS TO GET SOLVED, WHO'S #1.
Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  12:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the sens just have to pick a goalie and ride with him. If they keep alternating every night,neither of them will get into a grove.

I will take a few games, but either Emery or Gerber will start playing well again, just give one of them a chance.

I'd go with Emery.

GO PREDATORS GO
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's a good point.

All the winning teams remain consistent. Buffallo hadn't had any big trades for a while before they dished off their co-captains. New Jersey has stayed the same other than guys retiring and bringing in draft picks. Detroit has remained intact. San Jose since the Thornton trade has been the same. Ottawa too, until this goalie problem. You gotta know who your team is, and have chemistry follow suit.

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buffalo and New Jersey aren't teams I would put under the "winning" catergory.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:12:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the last little while? ESPECIALLY New Jersey? For about a decade, since they rebuilt and started playing the trap under whats-his-face.

Brodeur, Stevens, Neidermayer, Gomez, Gionta, Elias, Langenbruner, Madden, Parise, Pandolfo. Plus all those who retired. What team instantly pops to mind. I bet you can't name two guys on this list who played for another team without looking it up.

Neidermayer don't count. That was just to be with his bro.

I know Stevens retired. But I had to include him.

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Jersey's secret to success: BRODEUR!

Without him playing well, they can't make the playoffs.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:20:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's not entirely true. Now it is.

But when they had the masterful trap going, he barely faced half the shots he does now. Devils have always been defence first. Other teams adopted that style, and personally, that's what made hockey a lot more boring to watch in the lasst decade or so.

Go to Top of Page

nashvillepreds
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1053 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2007 :  15:22:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even with trap. even if they had Nabokov in net, would they have won their division a couple years ago?

I think there's a reason the devils have won all their stanley cups.

Ellis or Mason?

Go Preds Go!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page