Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Central Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... St. Louis
 Andy McDonald to the Blues Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  18:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ducks forward Andy Mcdonald has been traded to the Blues for Doug Weight, Michal Birner and a 7th round draft pick.

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=346678

Unless this Michal Birner guys is good because I have never heard of him I think this is an awful trade for the Ducks.

Andy McDonald's Stats : 4-12-16

Doug Weight's Stats : 4-7-11

Michal Birner's Stats (LW, AHL) : 2-5-7 in 18 games

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=76037 - Michal Birner's Profile.

Im guessing this is a playoff run type trade but still not good trade in my mind and I think the Blues just stole a pretty good young player.

willus3

Canada
1948 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  18:16:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Andy Mcdonald centering Paul Kariya should be an exciting line. Two of the fastest guys in the league.
I like where the Blues are heading...

"I'm a man of principle... or not. Whatever the situation calls for." - Alan Shore
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  20:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Blues are going to be happy with McDonald. He's going to be pretty mad and play with a little anger and that's never a problem. Ryan Getzlaf is now obviously the number 1 center for the Ducks.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7007
( )

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  20:42:20  Reply with Quote
Actually the trade is Andy McDonald to the Blues for Weight, Birner a 7th round pick and Scott Niedermeyer. I think a bag of pucks were included also but not sure.

Considering that he was under the gun, not a bad return.

The Blues are now looking real fast but small-ish.
Go to Top of Page

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2007 :  22:06:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see Scott Niedermayer's name mentioned in there...
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  01:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems some people havent been paying attention recently. The Ducks needed to clear cap space so that Scott Niedermayer could play, so they traded McDonald to the blues and in return Weight, Birner and the pick as well as in my opinion the second best defenceman in the league: Scott Niedermayer.

This move also gives the Ducks room to extend Corey Perrys contract.

CANUCKS RULE!!!

Edited by - Canucks Man on 12/15/2007 01:52:59
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  06:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McDonald was rotting away on the Ducks team this year and had noone really to play with. I see this deal as a good one for McDonald and for the Ducks and Blues. As mentioned the Ducks need the cap space so Neidermeyer can play. They had to lose someone to gain something.
Go to Top of Page

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  09:06:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe they only had to clear 800k, correct me if I am wrong. Im not saying it's a bad thing they traded MacDonald just they didn't get enough back in my opinion. Also if they only had to clear 800k they could have just made a minor deal for a draft pick or something.

Edited by - Ottawa Oilers on 12/15/2007 09:08:45
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  09:35:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of the best moves that Burke has ever made in my opinion. You can not buy the experience and knowledge that Doug Weight carries. Sure you have guys like Pronger, Niedermayer but no forward's with any kind of team leadership. Plus, although his numbers don't show it, Weight is still one of the best set up men in the game today. McDonald on the other hand, is one of those players that will never be a superstar without a superstar. He benefitted greatly from Selanne last year, and this year has done what he is capable of doing. Plus, it not only gives ANA Niedermayer back, but it gives room to resign Perry to a long term deal. Wow, shore up you goaltender, #1 centre, his wing man, the best defense in the league for a player that really hasn't shown he can help you win???

Absoultely brilliant move by Burke. Not saying the Blues got the shaft, because like I said, with another superstar, McDonald is solid. I think Kariya/Boyes/McDonald could be an amazing line.

It's a rare deal where I don't think there is a loser. McDonald goes to a team that will more than likely make him a top 3 forward, Weight goes to a legitimate Cup Contender to end his career, Burke gets some cap space, his #1 defensemen, and a #2 centre will playoff and Cup Experience.

I can't see anyone really losing here.

Wayne or Bobby?? How about both!!!
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  11:33:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ducks top 4 defenceman. Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Mathieu Schneider and Francois Beauchemain. Is there any better?
Go to Top of Page

Ottawa Oilers
Rookie

150 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  11:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that could be the all-time best top 4 pair there is. If some of the older members could shed some light on this as I haven't seen any hockey pre-'98.
Go to Top of Page

Guest7007
( )

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  19:34:22  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PainTrain

Ducks top 4 defenceman. Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger, Mathieu Schneider and Francois Beauchemain. Is there any better?

Robinson, Savard, Lapointe, Languay.
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  19:35:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Guest. No. Ducks take it.

Habs get number 25 this year
Go to Top of Page

Guest7007
( )

Posted - 12/15/2007 :  20:19:46  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

No Guest. No. Ducks take it.

Really, do you know who those players are considering you are a Habs fan? I've just named 4 HHOF defensemen. Do you really think all 4 ducks are HHOF material? Nieds, shoo-in first ballot. Prongs - yes but not definite. Schneider - borderline. Beauchemin - maybe less than borderline.

I'll give you another one then, maybe one that is more recent though not as strong in my opinion as the Habs 4. Niedermeyer, Stevens, Rafalski Daneyko.
Go to Top of Page

karacter
Top Prospect

20 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  02:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is one of the best moves that Burke has ever made in my opinion. You can not buy the experience and knowledge that Doug Weight carries. Sure you have guys like Pronger, Niedermayer but no forward's with any kind of team leadership. Plus, although his numbers don't show it, Weight is still one of the best set up men in the game today. McDonald on the other hand, is one of those players that will never be a superstar without a superstar. He benefitted greatly from Selanne last year, and this year has done what he is capable of doing. Plus, it not only gives ANA Niedermayer back, but it gives room to resign Perry to a long term deal. Wow, shore up you goaltender, #1 centre, his wing man, the best defense in the league for a player that really hasn't shown he can help you win???

Absoultely brilliant move by Burke. Not saying the Blues got the shaft, because like I said, with another superstar, McDonald is solid. I think Kariya/Boyes/McDonald could be an amazing line.

It's a rare deal where I don't think there is a loser. McDonald goes to a team that will more than likely make him a top 3 forward, Weight goes to a legitimate Cup Contender to end his career, Burke gets some cap space, his #1 defensemen, and a #2 centre will playoff and Cup Experience.

I can't see anyone really losing here.

wow...couldn't say it any better. mcdonald can't play w/ getzlaf to help him and perry isn't developed enough to be the superstar support mcdonald deserves. kariya and him should do very nice together and iw ouldn't see mcdonald reaching 70-80 points again after a miserable start. No one loses, the ducks did amazing but i don't think they are done yet. they have 2 first round draft picks next year, and need some scoring. they have to give perry the money now otherwise they will lose him like they did penner(i hated penner and im an anaheim fan)

about the best defense, i think its hands down but what you gotta consider is their #5,6. O'donnel is a wily veteran who flat out gets the job done. Huskins is still 28 and looks as good as ever until hisrecent injury, it will be interesting to see tonight who plays w/ who b/c IMO there is no point in breaking up o'donnel and pronger to play against the teams top lines cuz they are both stout defensive defensman, big and strong and can skate a little. scotty will probably play w/ beauchemin like last year leaving schneider to play strictly on PP, cutting his minutes and playing w/ huskins who is still young and has looked really good this year carrying the puck and skatin. this is hands down the best defensive core ever. Just watch the magic at work, they will climb and hopefully catch SJ who they play 3 outta the next 4 games, so they got some crucial games coming up to climb the rankings in the pacific
Go to Top of Page

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  09:32:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe the Ducks could push it for the cup again. Alex it is very true that Defence wins championships and with Anaheim there defence is tops bar none.But what Karacter said is completly true. Their number 5 and 6 defenceman are still good defenceman. The Ducks will push for the cup again in my mind.

Zubov for the Norris!
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  09:53:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now wouldn't it be ironic if say, Neids get injured?
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  11:29:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Axey, I have a feeling you would like to see that. Might I guess you are a Wings fan?

Go to Top of Page

karacter
Top Prospect

20 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  12:27:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted - 12/16/2007 : 09:45:39
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, now that we all agree, I have to ask a question: why, if what we say is true, are the analysts still favouring Detroit and Ottawa?

keith jones from versus said just the other day that with neidermeyer back and that defense that the ducks are the clear favorite to repeat for the cup again. that is all i have heard about it really.

Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  12:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Axey, I have a feeling you would like to see that. Might I guess you are a Wings fan?

ahah how right you are alex, after the habs of course!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  14:10:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, a lot of us are saying it. But Beans, amongst many other noteable people, in the forum 'Division Leaders' and 'Caonference Leaders' had the Wings taking it all. My question is, why? Or maybe, have we ignored the Ducks until future reanalyzation, when they win a couple of games? I'm just wondering

Go to Top of Page

karacter
Top Prospect

20 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  16:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
alex, you gotta reanalyze them after i say next week. This is a huge stretch for them cuz they play SJ 3 outta their next 4 games and trail them by i think 5 in the standings. they have not put together a consistent string of mre than 2 games the whole year. THey will go out and demolish a good buffalo team, then lose to nashville, its ridiculous
Go to Top of Page

Bleeding Blue and White
Top Prospect

23 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  16:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that McDonald and Kariya will be bad for the opponents they will be playing.

~Long Live the Leafs~

Edited by - Bleeding Blue and White on 12/16/2007 16:44:07
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  16:30:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My next trade is in two weeks, plenty of time. But should I dish out Vanek and pick Paul up? Thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

Bleeding Blue and White
Top Prospect

23 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  16:42:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He should get a boost from playing with McDonald. I'd go for it.

~Long Live the Leafs~
Go to Top of Page

pensfan17
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
330 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  17:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bleeding Blue and White

I think that McDonald and Kariya will be bad for the opponents they will be playing.

~Long Live the Leafs~

and boyes on that line
Go to Top of Page

Antroman
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
537 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2007 :  18:18:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kariya has been missing Selane big time. Andy looked like money in the bank along side Kariya tonight.
Go to Top of Page

karacter
Top Prospect

20 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  01:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the ducks played careless and were fortunate to survive and even get a point. even though the goal giguere gave up was weak as hell, he was brilliant. If not for getzlaf hitting the post during his shootout, they would have won that as well.

Weight- i thought he looked real good, him and bertuzzi were offside probably 3 times just cuz there was no chemistry but weight had some flashes of his brilliant passes. I have never really watched him play until tonight and he was pretty impressive.

Scotty- played a lot still almost 24 minutes, and he looked good as well. Didn't take as many chances as he used too, but his toughnesswas good. He had a few good hits, and got into it with thornton a couple of times after the whistle.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2007 :  07:25:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 points for McDonald, I've never been so happy I really hope he keeps this up. If so, I thank Brian Burke and he will no longer by my disappointing pick this year. I do like Kariya along side him, seems like an exciting speedy line it will be and of course with another surprising pick (Boyes), well it looks promising for McDonald to get going on a top line now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page