Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
 Fantasy Fanatics
 What the Puck? March 14, 2008 Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 Forum Locked
Author  Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  16:32:41  Show Profile
by www.FantasyFanatics.com

It is almost playoff time for us managers in head to head fantasy hockey leagues, and for those in rotisserie leagues, it is time to start making some “desperate” moves in hopes of climbing up the ranks. Therefore, now is the time to make some final waiver wire moves in hopes of getting a nice burst for your team. In this weeks edition of What the Puck? I will provide you with the best options for last minute additions to your fantasy squad.

Alex Auld (G, Boston): For many months of this season, fantasy teams that were lucky enough to have Tim Thomas in net were benefiting greatly as he was making a ton of saves a night. However, after his best week of the season 2 weeks go, things went dreadfully wrong for Thomas this week. However, in Thomas’ slump, Auld has stepped up and played two great games. He did not get wins but he gave up one goal (an OT winner) against Florida, and a shutout (although he lost in the shootout) to the Rangers on Sunday. Going into this week, Auld is a necessary pickup for any fantasy manager that has been using Thomas.

Sean Avery (LW, New York Rangers): I know he is a huge jerk. However, Avery seems to be the key to the Rangers’ success as they win with him and lose without him. Moreover, although Avery technically only has 27 points this season, he has battled injuries and is on a hot streak right now. Avery is a great pickup for any fantasy squad as he will almost always get you some sort of points whether it be through penalty minutes or the fact that he is a plus-7 for the season.

Matt Niskanen (D, Dallas): I am not going to lie… If your defense is not solid all ready, there are not many free agents that are going to put you over the edge. That is why, with Niskanen, a rookie with a tremendous amount of talent, may be the best option at this point. His offensive numbers (6G, 17A) are nothing amazing, but he plays on a great, Dallas team and is defensively responsible (plus-17). Niskanen is available in most leagues and is a must in any keeper league.

Brian Boyle (C, Los Angeles): At this point, the Kings have nothing to lose, which is good news for fantasy owners of young players in the Kings organization, as they will get plenty of playing time. Boyle is one of those guys and is taking advantage of the opportunity with 4 G in 8 games, Boyle is a risky pickup and I would only take him if you have safety at the center position, but the 6’6”, 222 pound center, is always in front of the net and could give you similar production to Nik Antropov for the rest of the season. However, he is very young so he could also go through some struggles.

Martin Erat (LW, Nashville): Erat has been great all season, except for his horrible December. Luckily for fantasy owners, that horrible December has kept him on the waiver wire in most leagues. He is an extremely fast player that can produce in both the goals and assists column. He is coming off a down week so hopefully Erat can rebound for your fantasy squad through the stretch run of the season.

Kent Huskins (D, Anaheim): Huskins is an interesting fantasy option. He is classified as an offensive minded defenseman, but his offensive numbers (4G, 13 A) are not staggering while his plus-22 is outstanding. Huskins is extremely valuable in rotisserie leagues that favor +/- as he is almost definitely still available and will provide owners a solid +/- option with offensive potential. Essentially, if you need more offense from your defense, Niskanen is probably a better pick then Huskins, but if you are looking for +/-, Huskins is the pick.

Marco Sturm (LW, Boston): I feel like I am always mentioning Sturm’s name and I think I have figured out why. The guy has 40-goal potential, but is so streaky that he is generally at the top of the waiver wire. However, he has played his best hockey of his career the past 25 games resulting in a recent promotion to Marc Savard’s wing. This means that Sturm will finally get the chance to be a fantasy stud at a time when he is all ready playing great hockey. Moreover, the Bruins have 4 games this week making Sturm arguably the best pickup of the week.

Five More For the Week:
Robert Lang (C, Chicago)
Jeff Carter (C, Philadelphia)
Craig Anderson (G, Florida)
Peter Mueller (C, Phoenix)
Phil Kessel (RW, Boston)

Have an opinion on Fantasy Fanatics' article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean. Get ahead of the competition at www.fantasyfanatics.com
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin@pickuphockey.com

Guest7278
( )

Posted - 09/03/2008 :  06:47:16
hell all from me
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page