Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Edmonton Oilers Depth Chart Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  18:21:20  Reply with Quote
I've heard enough talk about the Leafs and want to start talking about a team with a future. This is the Oilers Depth Chart: http://oilers.nhl.com/roster/depth.htm. Although it is pretty good looking I think it needs some tweaking. Feel free to post your ideas on what you think it should be. This si mine:

Forwards
Cole - Horcoff - Hemsky : Plain an simple the Scoring Line. All three are potent offensive weapons and together should be very dynamic. Cole is a huge improvement from Penner who is a borderline 2nd Liner. Alongside Hemsky and Horcoff I could see him putting up a good 30+ Goals and 60+ Points. And Hemsky reaching about 80 Points if he stays healthy. Horcoff could also reach upper 60-70 Points.

Nilsson - Cogliano - Gagner :A wise man once told me, "if it aint broke, don't fix it" and well that's my reasoning for keeping this line together. During last seasons playoff push, the "Kid Line" really stepped it up, and heading into their sophomore seasons I don't see why they can't repeat that. I could see all them having career years and put up 60 points a piece.

Penner - Pouliot - Pisani : This was a tricky line to make but I feel it brings a little of everything. They all bring a big frame to the table, as well as a good two-way game. This line could end up playing an energy line role, and provide some good secondary scoring.

Moreau - Brodziak - Stortini :This line brings great grit and can be a good shut down / enforcer line. All three can hit fight, and all play with loads of heart. Stortini & Brodziak really clicked last season, and hopefully Moreau can replace Glencross.

The Extras - Potulny, Schremp, Brule, O'Marra : All 4 are NHL ready players and could easily replace an injured player.

Defense
Visnovsky - Staios : This pairing was difficult to make. I feel Staios is are #1 D-Man, but im not sure how well he will mesh with an offensive defenseman like Visnovsky or Souray. One upside of having the tow different styles is that it will allow Visnovsky to play his style and not worry cause Staios will be able to bail him out. Visnovsky should also give a big offensive boost to the Oilers, which could really help get production out of all lines.

Souray - Smid Similar to the 1st Pairing, this will mix a defensive defenseman, with an offensive one. Again Smid's great defensive game will allow Souray to play more of an offensive game, knowing he will have support on the back end. This should also help the Oilers offense having players such as Souray, Visnovsky & Gilbert chipping in.

Gilbert - Grebeshkov :This is a similar situation as the first two pairings, only this time it's not a stay-at-home defenseman and an offensive. It's a n offensive, in Gilbert and a two-way, in Grebeshkov. I think the two will mesh together very well and should be able to round out the Oilers Defense nicely.

The Extras - Plante, Chorney, Roy, Young, Peckham, Bisallion & Strudwick. Whether it's an offensive or stay-at-home D-Man we need, the Oilers have a substitute raring to go. Injuries should be no problem as all are solid candidates and can fill in when needed.

[u]Goalies]/u]
Without a doubt in my mind Garon should be the starter. After the way he performed last season I think he proved everyone that's his place to be. However the backup is a tricky position to decide, we have 2 very solid prospects in Devan Dubnyk & Jeff Drouin-Deslaurier, but we don't want to rush them in too early. Than we have the washed up vet in Roloson who's career is quickly fading away. So for now I will not decide, we'll see how training camp goes.

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  20:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's my two cents:

1) I like Penner. I think he is still developing a bit in the NHL game and I think that is another huge advantage of Cole being with the Oilers. I think Cole is a perfect Mentor for Penner as they play a similar style. I think Penner is a for sure 2nd liner with potential to take over for Cole next year or the year after.

2) The "Kid Line" (way over used by the way) have to fight off the sophmore jinx. Definately if they play they way they did at the end of last year they will do great. However, not a ton of size on that line. I can see if they don't play really great from the start of they are getting thrown around, Penner will move up and the one of the three playing the worst will move down.

3) Kyle Brodziak will work his way onto the 3nd line by Christmas and stay there. I would say with Moreau and Penner/Nilsson. He will take a lot of the minutes that would have went to Stoll and do well in that roll. I really like the way that kid plays.

4) Steve Staios should be put out to pasture. The guy has the heart of a lion and the hands of the tin man. What was he, 10rd worst in the NHL in turnovers last year?? If they put Staios with Vishnovsky it will be a waste of Visnovsky's skillls, as well as a turnover machine. Visnovsky was 5th worse in the league in giveaways. I think that Visnovsky and Souray would be the best pairing as Souray is big and punishing but can't move his cement filled skates while Visnovsky is a smooth skater that is not very physical. I would pair Smid with Gilbert and Grebeshkov with Staios. You are dead right in the Oilers have a ton of depth at the D spot.

5) There is no doubt that Roloson will be the back up. Where else can he go?? He can't be sent down, so that would mean waivers. No one wants his $3 million salary so he would clear, but then what?? The salary is still being paid. Roloson is still a capable back up. Problem is that the Oilers tried to make him a starter. Roli will do fine here as a back up this year.

That's all I got for now

Edited by - Beans15 on 08/19/2008 11:08:57
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/18/2008 :  22:29:33  Reply with Quote
1) I guess "borderline 2nd liner" wasn't the right term to use for Penner. Should have said something like the 2nd line is where he should be. I don't feel he is YET capable of top line minutes but as you said, in the near future he will be. I could see him clicking with the speedy sophomores, and would for sure bring a good size to the line.

2) You hit the nail on the head.

3) I completely agree, during last seasons run I was all aboard the Brodziak bandwagon and haven't gotten off since. It was a shame that we lost Glencross or we could have possibly seen the trio of Stortini, Glencross & Brodziak once again. I believe Brodziak is fully capable of 3rd line minutes, but I think he would fit in better with Moreau & Stortini, rather than Penner & Pisani. I also think the 3rd & 4th lines could be swapped, but that would not be fully utilizing Penner, who could even be utilized more than being on the 3rd.

4) It was hard for me to find a spot for Staios while putting this together. You got it right he's the heart and soul of the Oilers, and i believe is our Top D-Man. I see where you're coming from putting Souray & Visnovsky together, but I was trying to spread the offense evenly, rather than having bursts. Also I think Staios deserves Top Line minutes, but Visnovsky & Souray sit 2nd & 3rd on the Depth Chart, but Staios doesn't really mesh with either. I can't really come up with a solution that fixes all problems, but if i had to choose. I'd go with your pairings.

5) That signing was a mistake from the beginning. He played what 30 games for us and had a great playoffs, and his contract is upped to 3m? Im just glad we aren't tight on Cap Space otherwise I'd really be pissed. But live and learn, didn't cost us too bad. And he has his moments of greatness...and failure.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  09:45:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this team looks extremely well-balanced: youth ready to step up, great mix on the D, good all around depth on F and D, some real aces up front, a pretty decent stable of prospects for down the road, and -although not stellar- they do have sound capable goaltending.
I really do believe that the Oil will be contending for the Division by the end of the year (I expect that they might take a few weeks to start rolling though due to some youth and a number of new teammates).

I actually expect more from this lineup than my own Flames.

Anyone care to play devil's advocate and tear this roster apart?

Btw, thanks for starting a new team thread. and good job on it too. Well done.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  09:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the future of this Oilers team, but unfortunatly I have a funny feeling Edmonton will do what they usually do and sell to the highest bidder just as it looks like they're about to turn a corner and make some waves in the post season.

As far as the lineups go, I really can't picture Penner slumming on the third line. He would have to be one of the highest paid, most talented third liners in the league if so. Sophmore jinx aside, I really don't have to much faith in their goaltending situation. Maybe a couple Defense prospects for a shot at Halak perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  11:16:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing with the Oilers lines is that it doesn't matter what line you are on. What I mean is that MacTavish will roll all 4 lines through the first period and then through the 2nd and 3rds period he gives the minutes to the lines playing the best. Through last season there was only a couple of minutes of ice time per game between thier top 9 forwards(except Horcoff).

And although I like Halak, I think Garon is as good or better today. The
Oilers will not make a move for a young goalie with Dubnyk and Drouin-Deslauriers patiently waiting on the farm.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  12:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They do like to spread the playing time but the brass just won't put up with Penner and his contract being on the third line even if it is just on paper. Personally I'd like to see them find a way to somehow to get rid of Souray and perhaps get a solid D maybe a Boumeester, Suter, or Burns. I just can't force myself to have any faith in Garon. The reason I went with Halak is because he's going to become very dispensable in the near future and he could develop and peak right along with the kids they have on the roster now.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2008 :  21:47:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will tell you what has been the absolute problem with the Oilers for at least the past 10 years.

Since Doug Weight left town, we have not had a clutch player. Period.

Say what you will about Hemsky's passing skills, Smyth's heart, Horcoff breaking out, there has not been a single player in Oilers Silks in a decade that in a must win tie game and 5 minutes left in the 3rd could hope over the boards and give the Oilers a legitimate shot at winning the game.

That's it ladies and gentlemen. The Oilers have always had decent teams that can compete every night. Even a couple of years ago when they lost 22 of their last 24 games, they were not completely out of any of those games. They compete every night. The problem is they haven't had that one guy to turn the game on it's head.

Unfortunately, I don't think they have that player still. I think one of the kids might be one day, but they don't have it today. So Oiler fans like me have to hold onto hope that the hard work with get us back to the Cup.

Try to argue with me. I don't think anyone can. Why do you think the Oilers have been so agressive with going after free agent and restricted free agent offensive players. Nylander, Vanek, Jagr, Hossa. The Oilers were crazy aggressive for those guys. They NEED that guy that is clutch. They don't have it today and haven't had it since Dougie Weight lefts for the $$$.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  07:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No one's trying to argue.....I totally agree that they need someone who can pull the trigger. Maybe they could move Souray, Pisani and Schremp for a D who doesn't turn the puck over 8 times a game and someone who can find the back of the net when the game is on the line. They might have to move either Gagner or Cogliano though after this year if one of them flounders to fill the void.
Go to Top of Page

99pickles
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
671 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  15:43:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they would be crazy to move Gagner, and I don't they would unless someone way overpaid for him.
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  21:27:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Oilers defintly looking good this season. They are probably the most improved team in the NW.
For the back end I say put Souray and Visnovsky together as the #1 unit and pair Staios with Gilbert as the #2. If Gilbert plays with a stay at home defenseman, like Staios, he will get a chance to take a few more risks offensively that he couldn't get away with play with any of the Oilers D-men. After playing most of last year with Pitkanen Staios is used to playing that role .
As for not signing Glencross...don't sweat it. Expect him to play like he did in Columbus. He was playing for a contract. Getting traded to Edmonton was a wake up call for him, but now hes got a 3yr contract.

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin

Edited by - lyall on 08/20/2008 21:28:37
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  17:04:55  Reply with Quote
quote:
Cole - Gagner - Hemsky
Penner - Brule - Moreau
Nilsson - Horcoff - Cogliano
Storts - Brodziak - Pisani

The kid line will be broken up anyways after they stop producing, I don't know why everyone expects them to score so much, and I figure it would be best to put them with experienced players. The top line would be good with Souray or Visnovsky out on the point and I picked Cole to play with Hemsky and Gagner because in my mind Cole doesn't need the puck to be effective like Penner does. The 2nd line might not produce a lot of offence but they'll be able to bump and crash around a cause a lot of headaches for opposing teams, they're more suited to playing against other teams top D-pairings. The 3rd line might be more suited to be the 2nd in terms of production and I think it would mesh well. Horcoff would compliment Coglianos speed and Nilsson would be able to do his thing around the hashmarks while Horcoff and Cogs get the puck to him. 4th line would have loads of hockey smarts with Pisani and Brodziak and Stortini would be there cause he's Stortini.

Souray - Smid
Visnovksy - Staios
Gilbert - Grebeshkov

I think we're gonna see icetime fairly evenly distributed among those 3 pairings, at least during 5 on 5 play. I tried to create balanced pairings of offensive-defensive abilities and I think that's fairly close.

That's one of my friends posts on another site. And well I think he;s got a good idea here. His D could use some tweaking, but I like the O he has.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8147
( )

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  09:07:55  Reply with Quote
I don't necessarily think the problem is the lack of a clutch player that can hop over the boards and win the game alone.. the problem lies in the system we play.. I am a lifelong Edmonton Oilers fan.. born and raised... watch very closely how other teams dump and chase... thier forwards crash the opponents D time and time again causing turnovers.. do our forwards do that... no! Watch other teams defencemen and forwards in thier own zone, the forwards are on the boards ready for the outlet.. ours are floating and often the other team gets our outlet pass going up the boards before our forwards are even close to the boards. And finally our defence has a bad habit of just golfing the puck along the boards without LOOKING to see if we even have a player there..

Sorry to say but until we get a system change and stop playing like it is 1980 we are not going to challenge for the lead in the northwest division as our team just isn't consistant enough. I love the players we have.. I love the talent we have.. I despise our system and our apparent lack of ability to play a whole 60 minutes. in the last 5 years we have lost over 30 games in the last 5 minutes of the third period. It is so frustrating to watch the team collapse over and over again after such amazing starts. We have one of, if not the fastest team in the league, yet we don't skate, and we don't hit. If those things change, I would bet on the Oil to win the cup.. but until they put the effort in and stop coasting I am afraid we will struggle to our usual "fight to crawl into the basement of the playoffs" like we have been for years now.
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  08:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
id say that penner will get a chance on the top line before cole because he is locked up for a couple more years and cole is in his contract season so u want your players in long term deals to perform better.
also i think the 'kid' kine gets broken up, because cole or penner would be a good fit with the other two, and also eliminates the chance of a full line sophmore jinx
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  13:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest8147

I don't necessarily think the problem is the lack of a clutch player that can hop over the boards and win the game alone.. the problem lies in the system we play.. I am a lifelong Edmonton Oilers fan.. born and raised... watch very closely how other teams dump and chase... thier forwards crash the opponents D time and time again causing turnovers.. do our forwards do that... no! Watch other teams defencemen and forwards in thier own zone, the forwards are on the boards ready for the outlet.. ours are floating and often the other team gets our outlet pass going up the boards before our forwards are even close to the boards. And finally our defence has a bad habit of just golfing the puck along the boards without LOOKING to see if we even have a player there..

Sorry to say but until we get a system change and stop playing like it is 1980 we are not going to challenge for the lead in the northwest division as our team just isn't consistant enough. I love the players we have.. I love the talent we have.. I despise our system and our apparent lack of ability to play a whole 60 minutes. in the last 5 years we have lost over 30 games in the last 5 minutes of the third period. It is so frustrating to watch the team collapse over and over again after such amazing starts. We have one of, if not the fastest team in the league, yet we don't skate, and we don't hit. If those things change, I would bet on the Oil to win the cup.. but until they put the effort in and stop coasting I am afraid we will struggle to our usual "fight to crawl into the basement of the playoffs" like we have been for years now.

Personally I disagree with this. As another born and raised Oiler Fans, I don't think the system is lacking. They have a team full of 3rd and 4th line pluggers with only 4-5 "offensively" focused forwards. They play they system that fits their personnel. A lot like a Washington who plays a very offensively focused system based on the personnel they have.

And I think you proved my point in your last statement. You (and I) are both sick of watching the Oilers lose games in the last 5 minutes. That is because they lack the Clutch player to win the game for them in the last 5 minutes. They don't have that so they will defense up and try to hold on. That doesn't always work. Wouldn't it be more effective to have a clutch player to go out and get the insurance goal in the last 5 minutes, or the game winning goal of a tie game then to watch the defense try to get into the overtime/shoot out??

They system matches the personnel of the team and a clutch player is needed to control those last 5 minutes of a game.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8147
( )

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  09:12:20  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15
Personally I disagree with this. As another born and raised Oiler Fans, I don't think the system is lacking. They have a team full of 3rd and 4th line pluggers with only 4-5 "offensively" focused forwards. They play they system that fits their personnel. A lot like a Washington who plays a very offensively focused system based on the personnel they have.

And I think you proved my point in your last statement. You (and I) are both sick of watching the Oilers lose games in the last 5 minutes. That is because they lack the Clutch player to win the game for them in the last 5 minutes. They don't have that so they will defense up and try to hold on. That doesn't always work. Wouldn't it be more effective to have a clutch player to go out and get the insurance goal in the last 5 minutes, or the game winning goal of a tie game then to watch the defense try to get into the overtime/shoot out??

They system matches the personnel of the team and a clutch player is needed to control those last 5 minutes of a game.

While I do see your point and don't doubt a clutch player would help, I think the problem lies in the fact that as a team they rarely play a full 60 minutes.. and a clutch player can only save you from yourselves so many times.

To often we are sitting down by 2 or 3 goals after 2 periods and then they start to use thier speed and start to hit and claw back, but often it is too little too late. If they played with the same fire they had in the cup run EVERY time they took the ice, they would be unstoppable.

As for my complaints about the system, there are some very obvious flaws in our system.. as mentioned, go back and watch some film of last year and watch our defense, beaten to the puck on almost all dump-ins, ringing the puck around the boards when there is time to carry. Constant scrambling in our own end on 5 on 5 play.. either the system is flawed or the people we have here don't want to play it.

I pray that with our added players and having a healthy Garon for the full year will bring us some much needed playoff time to get our boys gelling, and I will be cheering them as always, I just hope they will play for 60 minutes a night and not the 20-40 that they usually show up for.

now for a bit of fantasy... Beans, which clutch player would you like to see.. who do you think is a good fit for the Oil?? I know it is probably blasphemy, but there is one guy who pops to my mind as having the speed, the grit, and the leadership to do it for us.. and that is Jarome Iginla. Great hands... doesn't shy away from the rough stuff and he has the speed to run and gun with our high flyers...

(I know.. a Calgary Flame... I hate myself for sayign it but he is damn good....)
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  13:55:20  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hockster

id say that penner will get a chance on the top line before cole because he is locked up for a couple more years and cole is in his contract season so u want your players in long term deals to perform better.
also i think the 'kid' kine gets broken up, because cole or penner would be a good fit with the other two, and also eliminates the chance of a full line sophmore jinx

They brought in Cole to be our goal scorer, I guarantee he will atleast start on the Top Line. We wouldn't have given up as much talent as Pitkanen for a 2nd liner.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  07:23:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well of course Iginla would be a great addition to any team. The guy, in my opinion, is the best player in the game today. I don't care if he plays for Calgary or not, he is the best. (Remember he was born in St. Albert!)

There are a number of players that would fit that clutch role. As far as this year, I don't see him coming. The shot at both Hossa and Jagr in the off season would have filled the need. Either of them are big time game changers. Jokinen would have been a great fit, but he is not leaving the desert. There are some UFA's coming next year that would be awesome. Top of the list would be Gaborik. I also think that a healthy Martin Havlat is a point a game guy and a total gamer. I think the guy we need is a complete player but a little more hungry for the goal than the assist.

Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/27/2008 :  10:54:34  Reply with Quote
Just throwing it out there, Glen Murray. Now before im jumped on hear me out. I am pretty sure he was bought out by Boston, so now any team can offer him a contract? I am just looking for clarification as I am not very familiar with Buy Outs and such. But anyways if that's the case, I am sure he wouldn't be asking too much and this could kick start his career. Just think 6 years ago he was scoring 40 goals, im sure with the right motivation and line mates he could pot 25+ along with the occasional Game Winner. Last season was an off year for him only putting up 30 points, mind you he was injured for a while too. Now of course this wouldn't be a permanent fix, as he is 36 and will soon be retiring, but it could provide a quick fix and maybe boost the Oilers a little. Thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  12:05:56  Reply with Quote
Two others I thought of are Patrick Sharp and Marek Svatos. Both could easily put up 30+ goals a season, and although they would come at a price, I think it would be in reach. If we put up like a 2nd and a solid prospect we may be able to grab them.
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  17:46:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Murray on the team as well. He rounds out a 2nd line that could score real nice. He also brings experience to the table. I would go for a 2 year contract in the range of $2.5 to 3 million a year. And ya, 2nd line minutes and PP will give him 30+ goals. Put that will Cole who is in that range, Penner who could be, and Horcoff, that could be 4 guys in the range of 25 to 35 goals.

Not many teams could bolster that kind of offense.

I would then put the lines (if Murray was in the mix) as:

Cole - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner/Cogliano - Murray
Nilsson - Coglino/Gagner - Moraeu
Pisani - Brodziak - Brule

That is a very balanced offensive set and I think the 3rd and 4th lines would give most team fits in the defensive end.
Go to Top of Page

Guest8815
( )

Posted - 08/28/2008 :  20:51:17  Reply with Quote
I quite like that line-up aswell, only thing I'd change is swapping Moreau & Brule. Moreau fits better with the more gritty Brodziak & Pisani, where Brule can use his speed alongside Cogliano & Nilsson. I must say that is a pretty impressive roster.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page