Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Eastern Conference -Metropolitan Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... NY Rangers
 Rangers seek pick for Cherepanov Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PainTrain
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  19:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The New York Rangers want to have the 17th overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry draft because of their pick in this years draft Alexei Cherepanov has sadly passed away.
The league hasn't decided if they'll give the Rangers that pick, it will be decided at the next General Managers meeting.
I'm just curios as to what all you guys think. Should the Rangers get that pick? Should they just leave it alone, try to forget about the passing of Cherepanov and let it be just a very unfortunate situation? What do you guys think?

For more information on this story here is a link
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=391319

When the going gets tough....the tough get going!

Thrasher17
Top Prospect

Canada
84 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  22:04:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The pick they're looking for is actually the 17th pick in the second round of the draft. How would they do that anyways? Would they just have 31 selections in the 2nd round?

I don't think they should get the pick. It was a tragic accident but it was just that, an accident. Im sure this isn't the first time something like this has happened in pro sports so it will probably come down to how other situations have been handled.
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  01:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think they should get the pick because it is unfair to the other teams in the league that could choose the player that they pick before, sure it was very sad and tragic but that doesn't change the rules of the draft, it almost seems like they are trying to capitalize on his death and basically get a player to try and replace the one they lost.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  05:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. How can they really even ask - he came to their rookie camp and made it through their testing without anything being found. Had he made the Rangers squad this year and suffered the same terrible fate would they still ask for a pick. I think it should not be alllowed. The draft is built on selecting players that may or may not make the NHL, this kid would have made the NHL but each team knows there are risks in selecting certain players, I am sure Ottawa would really like a do over for Daigle. He didn't die but he sure couldn't perform in the NHL. My point being that when you draft players there is no guarantees they will play for your team so for that reason I say no to giving the NYR a compensating pick.
Go to Top of Page

Leafsfan_94
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1070 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  06:51:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they might as well just give it to them. i mean cherapenov looked to be a good player in the NHL and they just lost their pick so why not give em another one.

Leafsfan_94

Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  11:33:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Leafsfan_94

they might as well just give it to them. i mean cherapenov looked to be a good player in the NHL and they just lost their pick so why not give em another one.

Leafsfan_94

Bourdon Looked like he was going to be a good player and the NHL didn't compensate them for his death and when Dany Snyder died the Thrashers didn't try and get a player because of it. I think Porkchop made a good point, not every player you draft makes the NHL its basically luck of the draw some don't make it for different reasons and sure Cherepanov probably would have made it but that doesn't give the Rangers the right to ask for another player just because they lost one otherwise it undermines the whole meaning of the draft, luck of the draw.

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alex
PickupHockey All-Star

Canada
2816 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  11:36:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the article on NHL.com and it's really quite pitiful. There is a clause that states that a team unable to sign a drafted player (I believe this only applies to the first round) gets a compensatory pick.

However, if that player is eligible for the draft the next season, they forfeit that right. And, technically, Cherepanov is eligible for next year's draft even though he is dead.

This whole process is just a shameful way to hurt the family and those close to him. Yes, the Rangers lost out, and I feel sorry. But a kid, a 19 year old, lost his life. It beehoves basic decency to let the matter rest. The way they are unhandling this is unsensitive and, frankly, rude.

Make sure to cast your votes in the PickUpHockey Hall of Fame

EDIT: PorkChop, I didn't believe it either. Read:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=391319

"It seems now as if that phrase is unintentionally precluding the deceased from being included as eligible for compensation. We understand that this is a sensitive issue, but with all due respect to Alexei's family and his memory, he is technically eligible to be drafted again next year."

Edited by - Alex on 11/09/2008 14:05:55
Go to Top of Page

Guest0747
( )

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  12:58:47  Reply with Quote
I find it disgusting and offensive that the NYR organization would even ask for compensation. Sure, he was a great player and they lost a top prospect, but other teams have been through the same situation (Canucks and Bourdon) and they have been respectful enough to not try to benefit from a tragedy.
Personally i think the Rangers should get nothing, and whoever suggested that they deserve compensation in the first place be slapped, hard.
Go to Top of Page

Porkchop73
PickupHockey Pro

640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  13:09:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alex

I read the article on NHL.com and it's really quite pitiful. There is a clause that states that a team unable to sign a drafted player (I believe this only applies to the first round) gets a compensatory pick.

However, if that player is eligible for the draft the next season, they forfeit that right. And, technically, Cherepanov is eligible for next year's draft even though he is dead.
This whole process is just a shameful way to hurt the family and those close to him. Yes, the Rangers lost out, and I feel sorry. But a kid, a 19 year old, lost his life. It beehoves basic decency to let the matter rest. The way they are unhandling this is unsensitive and, frankly, rude.

Alex, Cherapanov is not eligible for next years draft, technically or otherwise.

Alex, I do realize you were quoting out of the article and according to an interpretation of the rules, he may be "technically" draft eligible. I am simply stating the obvious because sometime the business of the NHL is crude enough to ignore the reality. Reality is Cherapanov is not eligible because he cannot be drafted for obvious reasons. I think it is just pathetic of the NYR brass to consider this. This is something I would expect from Harold Ballard if he were still around.

Edited by - Porkchop73 on 11/09/2008 15:37:25
Go to Top of Page

Guest6458
( )

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  15:59:49  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Porkchop73

quote:
Originally posted by Alex

Alex, Cherapanov is not eligible for next years draft, technically or otherwise.

Alex, I do realize you were quoting out of the article and according to an interpretation of the rules, he may be "technically" draft eligible. I am simply stating the obvious because sometime the business of the NHL is crude enough to ignore the reality. Reality is Cherapanov is not eligible because he cannot be drafted for obvious reasons. I think it is just pathetic of the NYR brass to consider this. This is something I would expect from Harold Ballard if he were still around.

exactly i propose they lose a pick because they suggested it poor taste in the 10 degree
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page