Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Edmonton
 Cole for Kovalev Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:05:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dreger released his top ten most interesting trades. Number 9 was Eric Cole in a package deal For Alex Kovalev. Now my question to you, is it worth it? Both player are having bad years, But Cole is a UFA at the end of the season, so at least we get something. But Kovalev is another right winger. The Oilers need a left wing to play with Hemsky

Also Antroov is on the list & the asking price is said to be a first round pick. Would Antropov be able to excel with the OIlers, or would he just fall into the category of the many 3/4 liners we already have in the system. And again a right winger.....

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kovalev for Cole is a brilliant deal for the Oilers. Firstly, both are UFA's at the end of the season, so the question is which player will help you the most this season. That is an easy answer. Also, Kovalev would get 1st line minutes and PP time with Hemsky. Montreal does not have a set up man of Hemsky's ability today. And to think that Kovalev on one board, Hemsky on the other, with Souray dropping bombs from the point?? On paper, that is a very dangerous PP.

And as I have stated many, many times, the Oilers do not have that clutch player to throw over the boards to get them a goal when they need it. Kovalev might be having a bad year, but he has the skills to be that player.

It's worth the risk for the final 25ish games of the season. If the Oilers could make that deal, it would be a no brainer. I would think that Montreal will be looking for a draft pick as well. If it's a 2nd rounder or higher, I still say fire away. A 1st rounder would be a harder decision.

As far as Antropov, I don't think he would do anything more than Cole to help the team win, and as both are UFA's at the end of the season, Cole is the better player to make the playoff run with. At least Cole can kill penalties and he skates like Forrest Gump can run.

Kovalev for Cole, yes. Antropov for Cole, no.
Go to Top of Page

MSC
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
601 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read the list.

Maybe I'm crazy and naive but for the life of me I CANNOT see Toronto getting a 1st rounder for Antropov. I think either Burke has his sights set to high or doesn't actually want to trade him.
Go to Top of Page

lyall
PickupHockey Pro

360 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  10:56:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But Hemsky & Kovalev both play on the right. They tried putting Cole on the Left and we all know how good that worked. So would you go Penner Kovalev Hemsky? Or throw Gagner on the left now that Cole is gone?

And I wasn't suggesting Cole for Antropov. I was wondering if the Oilers got Antropov, (however they got him, it doesn't matter.) would he succeed in our system?

"I Was So Happy I Gave Kerry Fraser A Hug" -Bill Guerin

Edited by - lyall on 02/19/2009 11:09:10
Go to Top of Page

Beans15

Canada
8286 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:10:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kovalev has the skills to play any forward position. If Hemsky stayed on the right, Kovalev could play the left.

And no, I don't think Antropov would flourish here. He an Penner are very similar players and I would focus more time and energy on lighting a flame under Penner's a$$. When Penner actually shows up, he is one of the best PF in the game. The problem is that he only shows up about once every 10 games.

Antropov would not help the Oilers make or excel in the playoffs.
Go to Top of Page

Reeder17
Rookie

Canada
112 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  11:11:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!!!
I saw that on TSN last night and I could not believe it. I can not see one team giving up a 1st for Antropov.

quote:
Originally posted by MSC

Just read the list.

Maybe I'm crazy and naive but for the life of me I CANNOT see Toronto getting a 1st rounder for Antropov. I think either Burke has his sights set to high or doesn't actually want to trade him.

Crosby is Jesus the Lord & Savior of the NHL, get over yourself McGuire.

Gretzky has never once high-sticked a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Go to Top of Page

Guest2949
( )

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  10:57:54  Reply with Quote
OILER 79.... i don't know which games you guys have been watching, but....... seriously..... trade cole ?.... he seems to be the only guy that has brought it to the table since he got here. hard skating, drives to the net, crucial goals at crucial times, has hands, speed, strength, the oilers would be stupid to trade him, we need more guys like him. he hasn't gotten much time to play on the first line, can't call it hemsky's line because hemsky was on the 2nd line last game. gretzky was never on the second line...... EVER. here is a guy, the type of guy that that oilers are looking for, but the coach doesn't put him there.. guy that is strong on the puck, CHECK... guy with hands... CHECK.... guy that can score... CHECK.... plays with this heart on his sleeve..... CHECK. horcoff is not a 1st line center.... 2nd at best. mact has his fav's.... reasoner last year, horcoff, roli this year. i personally think that garon should have been kept. trade one of the kids.... they are too small, very gifted, but small. they are easily knocked off the puck. or maybe spread them around. (1) HEMSKY-COLE-GAGNER, (2) PENNER-HORCOFF-COGS (3)
BRODZIAK-POULIOT-REDDOX (4) WHOEVER, WON'T GET MUCH ICE TIME.... yeah, moreau is our captain, but sometimes you have to move on. 4th line, shouldn't get much ice time if any per game, 1st two lines should get the bulk. 3rd line is a breather and checking line. young stallions with an attitude. bang and crash. and work on a defensive system where the guy isn't half way across the friggin rink to cover the d-men. how many times have we seen the other teams d spank the puck and an oiler is just getting there. they shouldn't be anymore then 5-10 feet away. half the problem there.
Go to Top of Page

Axey
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
877 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  21:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kovie for Cole will never happen. If I were a betting man, I would bet my house on it. Kovalev has 400x better skill. He is starting to roll. The only way it would go down would be another player or draft pick coming to the Habs as well. Straight up this deal wouldn't go down.

Kovalev can single handedly win games for your team, Cole not so much. Kovie is seen as a god among mere mortals in Montreal, can you see the fans looking up to Cole this way? Notta chance.
Go to Top of Page

Guest9235
( )

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  22:00:53  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2949

OILER 79.... i don't know which games you guys have been watching, but....... seriously..... trade cole ?.... he seems to be the only guy that has brought it to the table since he got here. hard skating, drives to the net, crucial goals at crucial times, has hands, speed, strength, the oilers would be stupid to trade him, we need more guys like him. he hasn't gotten much time to play on the first line, can't call it hemsky's line because hemsky was on the 2nd line last game. gretzky was never on the second line...... EVER. here is a guy, the type of guy that that oilers are looking for, but the coach doesn't put him there.. guy that is strong on the puck, CHECK... guy with hands... CHECK.... guy that can score... CHECK.... plays with this heart on his sleeve..... CHECK. horcoff is not a 1st line center.... 2nd at best. mact has his fav's.... reasoner last year, horcoff, roli this year. i personally think that garon should have been kept. trade one of the kids.... they are too small, very gifted, but small. they are easily knocked off the puck. or maybe spread them around. (1) HEMSKY-COLE-GAGNER, (2) PENNER-HORCOFF-COGS (3)
BRODZIAK-POULIOT-REDDOX (4) WHOEVER, WON'T GET MUCH ICE TIME.... yeah, moreau is our captain, but sometimes you have to move on. 4th line, shouldn't get much ice time if any per game, 1st two lines should get the bulk. 3rd line is a breather and checking line. young stallions with an attitude. bang and crash. and work on a defensive system where the guy isn't half way across the friggin rink to cover the d-men. how many times have we seen the other teams d spank the puck and an oiler is just getting there. they shouldn't be anymore then 5-10 feet away. half the problem there.

Hemsky was on the second line only to keep him away from regher, who destroys hemsky in the corners, that is the only reason why he was bumped down for a game
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  04:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see Montreal dealing away Kovalev for Cole either . . . but I will address another point here:

A lot of you seem incredulous that a guy of Antropov's stature might get a first round draft pick. How out of the blue is it? Considering the extremely small market of comparable players (young, solid second line scorers), and considering how tight the playoff races are, and that it looks like everything will go down to the wire, AND considering that Toronto isn't under any pressure to get rid of him now especially - yeah, 1st round pick seems just about right, actually.

More than likely though, I think it's more likely Burke will get offered a warm body that is more of a role player, and a pick in the 2nd/3rd round.

I agree with Beans - Antropov is very close to what a Penner is, with perhaps more playmaking ability and less physical upside. No reason to switch them up.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Guest9109
( )

Posted - 02/25/2009 :  05:35:14  Reply with Quote
gainey would have to be an idiot to make that trade... cole for kovalev... wow thats stupid...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page