Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Calgary
 flames outlook part two Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  15:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
after letting the loss settle and overlooking the team as well as cap sapce, the future, and darryl sutters comments i do not believe it is nessacary for calgary to blow up their team or for that matter even make big improvements.
with moss resigning let all the rest of the free agetns go cept pardy and peters. Expect conroy to retire

my opinion of their lines:

backlund jokinen Iginla
tehy need a top liner to play with these guys and backlund will eventually ahve to make the jump. he is used to to playing with men (swedish elite league) and who better to break in with then one of the premier forwarsds(iginla). Iginla and jokinen will mesh. Iggy with a great year.
backlund:22 goals 41 assists
jokinen: 36 goals 59 assists
iginla: 53 goals 49 assists

borque langkow boyd
langkow needs to imporve last year. borque needs to continue last year. OByd needs to have a breakout year.
borque:25 goals 20 aassists
langkow: 21 goals 35 assists
boyd: 23 goals 23 assists

glencross lundmark Moss
all need to have similar to last seasons.
glencross: 13 goals 34 assists
lundmark: 10 goals 25 assists
Moss:21 goals 22 assissts

nystrom +peters or van der gulik or chucko or primeau
jsut based upon who plays well nystrom there for sure.
nystrom: 10 goals 22 assists
rest combined: 15 goals 20 assists

regehr sarich
shutdown pair. brings physicality and toughness
phaneuf + one of following
pardy+giordano+vandermeer+pelech
will battle for bottom three spots

combined 40 goals (20 for phaneuf)
assists =90 total(35 for phaneuf)

PP 1
backlund langkow iginla

jokinen phaneuf

PP 2
borque boyd moss

giordano + (one of other four remaining d)

pk 1
nystrom glencross
sarich regher

pk 2
jokinen boyd
phaneuf + (one of other three remaining d)

kipsrusoff 60 games for 80 combined points
irving 22 games for 22 combined points

keetley for emergency call up

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.

Guest8571
( )

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  15:52:50  Reply with Quote
free agents you might look for a backup but irving needs to eventaully get a chance as he is their future goalie.

may look at defensive forwards:
madden
pahlson

Possibly a number 4 d for cheap both good puck mover and defender:
oduya
leopold
morris
ohlund
beauchamin
komasarick
Go to Top of Page

hockster
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
437 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2009 :  15:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sign cammy or jbo if privce is right if not let em go. same goes for all free agents.

post above was me

Iginla for 2010 team captain.
Flames for cup...eventually.
Go to Top of Page

Guest4942
( )

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  09:30:36  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with several of your points there, especially about the team not needing to be completely blown up, they have so much potential. With Keenan gone I think the Flames are looking up for the 2009/2010 season. Darryl is going to make sure they get their team defense back and as far as I am concerned they will not do so by picking up defensive forwards, but by playing a better system. The Flames had far too many "stand still" moments this past year as well as a dismal PK in the playoffs, once again it's a team play issue, not individual mishaps. Sutter will make sure to get a coach who will make sure they get back their great team defense they had not so long ago, if he can't find the coach to do it, he will do it himself. (I personally think he really wants Brent as the coach)

As far as line combinations go, I really do hope you are right that they bring up some players out of the minors(Backlund), but the Flames have a habit of keeping their players in the minors for a VERY long time. Pardy is turning into a great player and he needs to be resigned, I also thought that Leopold was playing well for us and we should get him back (I'm almost positive he will be, Sutter seems to like him). Offensive defensemen such as Leopold, Phaneuf and Giardano will really pick up their play on the defensive end once a solid system is in place. There is no denying that the Flames have one of the most talented teams in the West, they just have to prove it soon as their best players are slowly being approached by father time.

Prediction: NW div champs, at least 2nd round of playoffs.
Also, Iggy WILL be captain 2010.
Go to Top of Page

JOSHUACANADA
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2308 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2009 :  12:56:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at roster and unsigned players and Calgary could sign at last years prices all of the unsigned players (Cammalleri with a slight increase from 4-5 million) I dont think they shoould though. I think Leopald and Bertuzzi would sign reasonable contracts and then they should go looking for a proven goalie who can push Kipper for some playing time.

The reason Calgary has been successful has been the strength in goal, Iggi, balanced scoring and hard nosed D-men. But when you see Calgary falter is when Iggi is isolated by the other team, d-men are checked hard by the other team and when Kipper gets overplayed. They should be looking for a goalie to play 1/3, or more, of the playing time and to cover (if and when) Kipper poops the bed in the playoffs. Look at the success Boston, Detriot had last year with a good tandem.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page