Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Heads Up!
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Randy Steinman
 8 Things That Make Me Go "Huh?" Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
Forum Admin

Canada
2335 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2009 :  09:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a hockey lover there are a few things that have me perplexed. They confuse me. They make me go "HUH?"

1. THE SHOOTOUT. OK, it's here and I should be over it by now. But it's too circus-like for me. Ever notice the amount of time it takes to setup and administer the shootout? Why don't they just play a 10-minute sudden death overtime instead of the current 5-minute one? A lot more ties would be settled. What's the problem with having ties anyway?

2. COURTING LAS VEGAS. The NHL awards ceremony was moved to Las Vegas from Toronto. Las Vegas has been mentioned as a possible relocation site for prospective buyers of the Phoenix Coyotes. The NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball do not have a team in Vegas. What's with the NHL's fixation on Sin City? Looks like another disaster in the desert to me.

3. ULTIMATE FAN SLAM DOWN. Ultra rich hockey fan/business man Jim Balsillie tries for the third time to acquire an NHL team. NHL tries to paint him as some kind of criminal trying to sneak in the back door. Balsillie has appeal to the common fan and reinforces the existence of Bettman's Old Boys Network. The "Huh" here comes because of the NHL's reluctance to embrace a genuine hockey fan who comes bearing lavish resources.

4. STICK WORK? I'm tired of two-minute penalties for players tapping or making contact with the puck carrier's stick with their stick. Wayne Gretzky- a skilled puck-stealer- would have been a 100 penalty minute a year guy in today's NHL.

5. MARIAN HOSSA- or how to predict the losing team in the Stanley Cup final. Hossa moved from Atlanta to Pittburgh and the Penguins lost in the 2007-08 Stanley Cup final. He jumped to Detroit and the Red Wings lost in the 2008-09 final. Hossa moves on to Chicago as a UFA for the 2009-10 season. Does this mean the 'Hawks will be the losers in the 2009-10 Stanley Cup finals?
6. ICE GIRLS. Cheerleaders in some cities. Attractive girls who come out and clean the ice in other cities. Largely a phenomenon in American NHL rinks. Wow, can't wait until this one hits Canada! Can you say "hokey"?

7. BOBBLEHEAD DOLLS. They are getting better- but have you ever seen an NHL bobblehead doll that actually looks like the player that is supposed to be represented?

8. EXTRA REF. A few years ago the NHL acknowledged that the players were much larger and more space was needed on the ice. So what did they do? They added another referee! HUH?

Be sure to visit Fantasy Hockey Journal (www.fantasyhockeyjournal.com)- All your tools for your hockey pools.

Have an opinion on Steinman's article? Let us know. Just hit reply below and post your thoughts. Anything goes...but keep it clean.
PickupHockey.com is your online hockey community. We're always looking for sharp volunteer writers. If you feel that you'd like to contribute please send us an email at admin@pickuphockey.com
PickupHockey.com and the owners of PickupHockey.com do not necessarily endorse the opinions expressed on its website of the volunteer writers. The opinions expressed here in this and other posts are solely the opinions of the writers.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page