Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Western Conference - Pacific Division
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... Vancouver
 Alain Vigneault - Just Average? Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Badboy
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2009 :  22:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it just me but it seems that most people like this guy? I find that he plays favourites, is totally defensive minded (the canucks will never be exciting with this guy at the helm),and just generally a real average coach.

He has been around the Nucks 4 years now and every year the team is the same defensive, boring team to watch, dont get me wrong, I like the Canucks but I think that he is the wrong guy for the job,plus there is 3 more years of him to look forward to.

Alex116
PickupHockey Legend

6113 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  01:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally, i don't have a problem with him. He's into his 4th year i believe, and if i'm not mistaken, they've won two division titles in the three years he's been coaching?

Having Luongo as your franchise player makes it obvious that they've built from the net out. While the Sedin's are point a game guys, they've yet to have that secondary scoring necessary to advance further in the playoffs. I do feel when the Canucks were healthy last year that Vigneault coached a more offensive style.

Regardless, either way, as long as they win, i don't care. Most coaches only last a couple contracts at best so maybe he'll wear out his welcome eventually? I will say this though, Gillis must like him considering most new GM's will clean house and bring in their own guy. Gillis not only kept him, he's signed him to an extension.
Go to Top of Page

redneck76ca
Rookie

186 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  03:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Offence wins games, defense wins championships.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4809 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:45:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Based on his record, he's done very well.

As redneck mentioned, defence wins championships . . . and at the very least, gives you a great chance at a winning record. That's why the defensive minded coaches have been successful - Pat Burns, Jaques Demers, Ken Hitchcock, etc - they put defence first.

And, from a perspective of what system works where . . . I would agree with a defensive system for the team that Vancouver has. A great goalie, big physical defencemen, and one solid line that plays a responsible game? That's built for a defensive system . . . if they had a line-up like LA or Philly it would be different, I think.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
Go to Top of Page

Matt_Roberts85
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
936 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  10:54:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redneck76ca

Offence wins games, defense wins championships.

Tell that to the 1980's Oilers

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "M" and an "E".
Go to Top of Page

Badboy
Top Prospect

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2009 :  16:48:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,, I like wins too, but there is something to be said about fast paced exciting hockey. True,the Nucks have injuries out the ying yang, but before that you never knew who would be out on any line and God forbid you make a mistake, your butt would be stapled to the bench.

He loved Shirokov and now, who knows if the kid will ever be back.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page