Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Other Leagues: AHL, ECHL, Junior
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... ECHL
 ECHL Allow Anonymous Users Reply to This Topic...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Author  Topic Next Topic  

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  16:25:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Poll Question:
Just out of curiosity. Does anyone but me know what the ECHL is? I have LeafsTV so they show Pensicola Ice Pilots games and they arent that bad. Nothing like the NHL or any other major juniors leagues (eg. CHL QMJHL AHL) though.

~You play to win the Game~ Herm Edwards

Choices:

Yes
No
Its a league??

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  16:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didn't know it existed till I joined this forum. I saw a link for it on the NHL website a few minutes ago while I was browsing though...

Edited by - Mikhailova on 01/25/2007 16:29:09
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  16:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what it is but I would certainly never follow it.
Go to Top of Page

ryschevy1
Rookie

Canada
186 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  18:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a professional league right? It doesn't make sense why it's called the east coast hockey league when there are teams spread out over the whole continent, but whatever floats yur boat I guess.

GO OIL!!! YA!!!
Go to Top of Page

bablaboushka
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
2417 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  19:25:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it's the National Hockey League when it involves international play. There are Canadian teams in the American Hockey League, there is an American team in the Canadian Hockey League and there are Atlantic-Canadian teams in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League.

I don't think it makes much of a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Novie
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
452 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  19:35:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only heard of it because I've got old acquaintances from high school playing there

Go Sens
Crosby is God
Tucker is a douche
Go to Top of Page

KariyaSelanne
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
297 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2007 :  19:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never heard of it, what are some of the teams, I might reconize 1 or 2

Go Preds Go!!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  12:58:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He mentioned the Pensicola Ice Pilots.

How did Pensicola and ice wind up in the same sentence?
Go to Top of Page

Guest4306
( )

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  13:40:34  Reply with Quote
I dont watch it but know about it.. some teams send their farm players down there for extra conditioning.. etc. Most ECHL teams, if not all, have ties with NHL teams.
Go to Top of Page

leafsfan_101
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1530 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  15:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailova

He mentioned the Pensicola Ice Pilots.

How did Pensicola and ice wind up in the same sentence?

LOL.True. Pensicola is the only team Ive heard of in that league soo im not of much use there.

Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  20:17:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by leafsfan_101

Nothing like the NHL or any other major juniors leagues (eg. CHL QMJHL AHL) though.

I think it's a lot better than the CHL buddy...the best players in the CHL are BETTER than the best in the ECHL, but the AVERAGE player in the ECHL is much better than your average CHL guy.....and since there are far more "average" players in both leagues, The ECHL wins........Victoria has an ECHL team hahahahahah (that's right a team in BC has a team in the "EAST COAST" hockey league....

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  20:49:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
VICTORIA SALMON KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of couse ive herd of the echl and ive been to some games, we had a bench brawl in the kings expansion year of 2005 it was sweet, Victoria is the only canadian team in the league so ppl might in canada might not no to much, but other teams are, Greenville Growl, Trenton Titans, Alaska Aces, Las Vegas Wrangles, Long Beach Ice Dogs, Fresno Falcons and the Bakers Field Condors and thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

I HATE CROSBY
PickupHockey Pro

Canada
538 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  21:20:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

VICTORIA SALMON KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Of couse ive herd of the echl and ive been to some games, we had a bench brawl in the kings expansion year of 2005 it was sweet, Victoria is the only canadian team in the league so ppl might in canada might not no to much, but other teams are, Greenville Growl, Trenton Titans, Alaska Aces, Las Vegas Wrangles, Long Beach Ice Dogs, Fresno Falcons and the Bakers Field Condors and thats all i can think of off the top of my head.

CANUCKS RULE!!

Hey you live in victoria eh?

Do you ever watch the cougars?

I HATE CROSBY
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2007 :  21:39:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no i dont IHC, but the S-Kings are TIGHT!!

CANUCKS RULE!!
Go to Top of Page

Mikhailova
PickupHockey All-Star

USA
2918 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2007 :  12:13:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canucks Man

VICTORIA SALMON KINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Isn't Victoria on the west coast...?

And Alaska certainly isn't the east coast, neither is Las Vegas (that's not even a coast), and neither is Fresno. Someone should either name this better or work on their geography. (And the NHL--since when is Michigan in the WEST???)

Edited by - Mikhailova on 02/06/2007 12:15:22
Go to Top of Page

manninm
PickupHockey Pro

USA
347 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2007 :  10:00:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mik, the ECHL and the PCHL (appropriately, the Pacific Coast Hockey League) merged a few years back. The ECHL is now considered the "premier" AA hockey league in North America (other leagues include the CHL (central hockey league) the UHL, and there's one or two others). The ECHL is the main feeder league to the AHL. It's actually pretty good hockey. A few notable NHLers played there during the lockout, including Curtis Brown.
Go to Top of Page

Guest0931
( )

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  22:28:15  Reply with Quote
Actually the ECHL is a combination of the OLD East Coast Hockey League and the OLD West Cost Hockey League. The ECHL no longer calls itself the East Coast Hockey League, just ECHL. They did that so there would not be any hassles with marketing and would still have some kind of name recogonition with vendors. Not the smartest move but I guess it works. This league has send close to 400 players up to the NHL. Our team here in Vegas has had several players who are now in the AHL, and I fully expect to see them up in the NHL within the next few years. Tyler Sloan (D) Hershey, Mike McKenna (G) Portland, Tim Hambly(D) and Adam Pardy(D) Quad City. For those of you who are not narrow minded, check out the league at ECHL.COM. Oh yea and GO WRANGLERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOCKEY BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Canucks Man
PickupHockey Veteran

Canada
1547 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2007 :  23:24:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
During the lockout year Scott Gomez played for the Alaska team

CANUCKS RULE!!!
Go to Top of Page

BucketHead
Top Prospect

Canada
78 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  21:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've know about it since i was like 9, didnt burrows get found in that league by the nucks.
Go to Top of Page

nuxfan
PickupHockey All-Star

3670 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2011 :  23:16:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep, Burrows played in the ECHL before being found by the Canucks scouts. He was never drafted, signed to a minor league deal with the Moose after a tryout, and worked his way up to where he is now.
Go to Top of Page

Trognitz
Top Prospect

10 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2012 :  14:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i live 20 miles from Reading so i've been to a few games. slightly slower play, get to see some guys on theri way up and some great enforcers.
Go to Top of Page

Guest6409
( )

Posted - 11/19/2012 :  12:53:34  Reply with Quote
Alaska Aces currently have Scott Gomez, Nate Thompson, Brandon Dubinsky and Joey Crabb. (All Alaska Natives) . As a Canadian living in Anchorage I can tell you it is a real pleasure to have this caliber of Hockey to go watch. Right now these NHL players are obviously dominating the play and scoring alot of goals/assists, but even without these guys, this league is very entertaining. We were at the game last sat. night and the Aces won 4-3 against Colorado Eagles.
Good hockey and good fun.

Now, lets get this lock-out over with and get on with the NHL season. PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE .

J.S.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page