- Jacob Josefson lifts Devils past Jets in shootout
- Blues to face Ducks without David Backes, T.J. Oshie
- Rangers defenseman John Moore suspended 5 games for elbow hit
- Craig Smith scores twice as Predators down Oilers
- Bruins defenseman Torey Krug out 2-3 weeks with broken finger
- Hockey great Gordie Howe shows improvement after suffering stroke
- Hurricanes captain Eric Staal returns in loss against Canucks
- Blue Jays netminder Sergei Bobrovsky fractures finger in practice
- Penguins defender Olli Maatta will undergo surgery to remove tumor
- Kopitar, Foligno banged up as Kings topple 'Jackets
- Scott Darling shines in debut as Blackhawks edge Senators
- Bryan Little's overtime goal lifts Jets over Avs
- Blackhawks' Daniel Carcillo out 2-plus weeks due to knee injury
- Cody Hodgson, Nicolas Deslauriers combine to lift Sabres past Sharks
- Canadiens' Carey Price to face Rangers for first time since East Finals
- Jonathan Drouin shines as Lightning jolt Jets
- Senators to pay tribute to fallen soldier, will implement heightened security
- Maple Leafs do aerobic skating drills in first practice after Ottawa shooting
- Bruins captain Zdeno Chara suffers knee injury, to miss 4-6 weeks
- Canucks pull away in third, beat Blues
Jacob Josefson lifts Devils past Jets in shootout
Thu, 30 Oct 2014 22:39:48 +0000
Newark, NJ, United States (4E Sports) - Jacob Josefson tallied the lone goal in the shootout as the New Jersey Devils snapped an 18-game losing streak in the tiebreaker via a 2-1 victory over the Winnipeg Jets Thursday at Prudential Center.
Devils goaltender Cory Schneider stopped Blake Wheeler and Andrew Ladd and forced Bryan Little wide in the shootout to help the Devils clinch their first shootout win since March 15, 2013, also against Winnipeg.
In his 10th straight start, Schneider made 24 saves while Michael Ryder scored his second goal of the season as the Devils (5-3-2) won for the first time at Prudential Center this season.
Blake Wheeler scored his fourth goal of the season in the opening period while Ondrej Pavelec finished with 27 saves for the Jets (4-5-1).
Wheeler gave the Jets a 1-0 lead 6:56 into the first period when he took advantage of a delayed penalty call.
Defenseman Toby Enstrom delivered a long pass off his backhand from his blue line to Wheeler, who beat defenseman Marek Zidlicky before snapping a shot inside the right post past Schneider.
The Devils received some life late in the third period when Ryder scored off a feed from Jon Merrill off a turnover.
Merrill collected the puck along the left-wing half boards and fed Ryder, who skated past defenseman Jacob Trouba in the left circle and launched a shot Pavelec with 3:27 remaining.
The Devils had a chance to win in regulation but Pavelec denied Jaromir Jagr's quick wrist shot from the right hash with his left glove with 7.3 seconds left.
The Devils play the Columbus Blue Jackets here Saturday while the Jets take on the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden on the same day.