- First-round pick Sam Bennett signs three-year deal with Flames
- Canadiens, Lars Eller agree on four-year pact
- Bruins hire Joe Sacco as assistant coach
- Leafs' hiring of Kyle Dubas as asst GM signals shift to analytics
- Center Ryan O'Reilly agrees to two-year pact with Avalanche
- Wild's Thomas Vanek questioned in gambling case
- Canucks' Jordan Subban hopes to break out of brothers' shadows
- First-round pick Nikita Scherbak signs three-year deal with Canadiens
- Free agent goaltender Martin Brodeur to wait for 'right fit'
- Maria Kirilenko, Alex Ovechkin call off engagement
- Cody Franson avoids arbitration, inks one-year pact with Maple Leafs
- New arena for Red Wings planned for 2017
- Rangers ink winger Lee Stempniak on one-year deal
- Jets sign three forwards to one-year contracts
- Left winger Tim Bozon returns to competition after four month hospitalization
- Panthers re-sign defenseman Dmitry Kulikov for three years
- Flames netminder Jonas Hiller has appendicitis attack in camp
- Devils re-sign forward Jacob Josefson for two years
- Sabres sign forward Tyler Ennis to 5-year deal
- Sharks ink defensemen Jason Demers, Taylor Doherty
First-round pick Sam Bennett signs three-year deal with Flames
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:20:35 +0000
Calgary, AL, Canada (4E Sports) - The Calgary Flames inked center Sam Bennett to a three-year, entry level contract. Bennett was selected 4th overall in the 2014 NHL Draft.
The 20-year-old told the Flames' website that the signing was a dream come true for him.
"It really is surreal. When I did finally put the pen to the paper it was an amazing feeling," Bennett added.
Bennett played for the the Kingston Frontenacs of the Ontario Hockey League last season, he played 57 games, had 36 goals and scored 91 points.
The Flames also re-signed center Joe Colborne and goaltender Joni Ortio.
Brad Treliving, the team's new general manager, said that it was only a matter of time before signing Bennett.
"I think with Sam, obviously we were going to sign him," Treliving added.
Although he told Bennett there would be no guarantees that the rookie will be making it to the final roster.
"The one thing I want to state clearly is there's no pressure here on Sam to jam him into the lineup," Treliving stated.
Treliving wants Bennett to earn his way to the team by being a great junior player this year.
"If he does, good on him and good for us. Then he's earned his way onto the team," he added.