- Jeff Carter shines as Kings extend winning streak to 5
- Leafs' Joffrey Lupul returns to action after 7-game absence
- Rangers' Ryan Callahan to miss 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain
- Blackhawks goalie Corey Crawford out 3 weeks with groin injury
- NHL bans Leafs' Dion Phaneuf two games for boarding
- NHL suspends Penguins forward James Neal 5 games for kneeing
- Flyers place Vincent Lecavalier on IR, recall Tye McGinn
- Patrice Bergeron leads Bruins over Maple Leafs
- Rangers' Marc Staal may have suffered concussion vs. Devils
- Maple Leafs edge Senators in shootout
- Tyler Seguin's hat trick lifts Stars over Flyers
- Bruins' Johnny Boychuk leaves on stretcher against Canadiens
- NHL to pay hockey great Wayne Gretzky
- David Desharnais nets game-winner as Canadiens down Devils
- Rangers sign netminder Henrik Lundqvist to seven-year extension
- Oilers goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov suffers upper-body injury
- Drew Miller nets two goals as Red Wings down Senators
- Ryan Kesler nets two goals as Canucks edge Hurricanes
- Chris Kreider's hat trick lifts Rangers past Canucks
- Ducks nearly triple center Nick Bonino's salary, extend center 3-years
Jeff Carter shines as Kings extend winning streak to 5
Thu, 12 Dec 2013 08:00:18 +0000
Toronto, ON, Canada (4E Sports) - Jeff Carter scored and issued an assist while Martin Jones recorded 38 saves as the Los Angeles Kings extended their winning streak to five games with a 3-1 victory against the Toronto Maple Leafs Wednesday at Air Canada Centre.
With the victory, the Kings are 12-1-4 in their past 17 games and have not allowed a first-period goal or more than two in any game during that stretch.
Drew Doughty and Kyle Clifford also scored while Mike Richards issued two assists for the Kings, who improved to 21-7-4.
Cody Franson scored his first goal of the season while Jonathan Bernier stopped 20 shots for the Maple Leafs, who lost their second straight game. Overall, the Maple Leafs dropped seven of their last nine games to slip to 16-13-3.
Doughty made it 1-0 on the power play at 10:30 of the first period. Doughty skated into the top of the faceoff circle and sent a wrist shot past Bernier, who was screened on the shot by Kings forward Tyler Toffoli. It was Doughty's sixth goal of the season.
The Maple Leafs tied the game at 14:30 of the second period when Franson scored a power-play goal. Franson's goal of the season came on a 5-on-3 while Doughty and Willie Mitchell were each serving penalties. The goal snapped Jones' shutout streak at 177:16.
Kyle Clifford's third goal of the season with 1:58 to play in the third padded the Kings' lead before Carter made it a two-goal game.
The Maple Leafs were playing their first of two games without captain Dion Phaneuf because of a suspension for boarding against the Boston Bruins on Sunday. Fraser got in the lineup in his place and played 16:10.
The Kings continue their four-game road trip against the Ottawa Senators on Saturday. The Maple Leafs go on the road to play the St. Louis Blues on Thursday.