- John Tavares leads Islanders past Jets for first win
- Bruins wingers Brad Marchand suffers concussion vs. Canadiens
- Netminder Ben Bishop stops 24 shots as Lightning down Sabres
- Hurricanes' James Wisniewski to undergo surgery for torn ACL, out six months
- Ducks ink defenseman Simon Despres to five-year extension
- Sabres goaltender Robin Lehner leaves season opener with lower body injury
- Daniel Sedin's goal, pair of assists power Canucks in toppling Flames
- Habs forward Zack Kassian enters substance abuse program after car accident
- Sharks forward Raffi Torres receives 41-game suspension for another illegal check
- Maple Leafs pick Jonathan Bernier as starting goalie for first two games
- Oilers waive goaltender Ben Scrivens after two seasons
- Penguins part ways with veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar
- Senators goaltender Andrew Hammond sidelined two weeks with groin injury
- Devils left wing Patrik Elias to begin season on injured reserve list
- Red Wings defenseman Danny DeKeyser out 3-4 weeks
- Capitals forward Nicklas Backstrom starts practice, no return date set
- NHL still unsure on expansion, to hear pitches from Quebec and Las Vegas
- Oilers forward Jordan Eberle out 4-6 weeks due to shoulder injury
- Canadiens down Penguins in Quebec preseason game
- Flyers center Sean Couturier listed as day-to-day due to injury
John Tavares leads Islanders past Jets for first win
Mon, 12 Oct 2015 20:22:23 +0000
Brooklyn, NY, United States (4E Sports) - John Tavares tallied a goal and two assists while three other teammates scored as the New York Islanders notched their first win via a 4-2 triumph over the Winnipeg Jets Monday at Barclays Center.
Aside from Tavares, Ryan Strome , Brock Nelson and Josh Bailey also scored while Thomas Greiss stopped 22 shots as the Islanders improved to 1-1-1.
Ondrej Pavelec tallied 40 saves while Mark Scheifele and Dustin Byfuglien scored for the Jets, who dropped to 2-1-0.
Overall, the Islanders had 44 shots on goal while the Jets only had 24.
Strome put the Islanders ahead with a power play goal at 19:48 of the opening period before Nelson made it 2-0 at 6:46 of the second.
Tavares scored his second goal of the season via power play four minutes later to give the Islanders a 3-0 advantage.
Scheifele put the Jets on the board with his third goal of the season to cut the deficit to two goals at the break.
In the third, Byfuglien made it a 3-2 outing with a power play goal but Greiss made some timely stops before Bailey sealed the win with an empty net goal with 19 seconds left.