Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Will Ovechkin ever score 50 goals again?

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
n/a Posted - 11/11/2011 : 11:17:07
Alexander Ovechkin doesn't seem to be the dominant force he once was, which begs the question, will he ever score 50 goals again in the NHL?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
38   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest4629 Posted - 03/07/2012 : 07:08:40
OV is a Bum and is showing his team How bad he really is... Thanks Ov You are the reason i hate the CAP's so much ......
Lee Marshall Posted - 03/06/2012 : 11:00:33
I voted yes...BUT... He'll have to stop drinking like a fish and get serious about the game again.

Maybe he needs to leave Washington? That chapter in hockey history is...history.

Who the cap fits...Let them wear it.
Guest3243 Posted - 03/01/2012 : 01:14:36
quote:
Originally posted by Guest2760

No one cares about Ovechkin anymore, there are better stars emerging like Hall, Segiun, Skinner and Nugent-Hopkins. The Ovechkin era is over.

buddy ur f***ed those guys wont be as big as him they'll be 40 goal scorers not 50 or sixty like ovi
Guest4178 Posted - 11/22/2011 : 13:12:31
Ovechkin is a player used to more playing time, and he's not getting the playing minutes right now.

In his 65 and 56 goal seasons (2007-08 and 2008-09), he averaged over 23 minutes per game. And the following two seasons, he averaged about 1 1/2 minutes less per game. Not a lot, but it's a factor. And he scored 50 and 32 goals respectively in his most recent full NHL seasons.

Ovechkin has averaged 1.27 points per game in his NHL career so far (regular season), and .62 goals per game in the regular season. (While averaging 21:55 minutes of ice time per game.)

While the Caps have not been overly successful in the playoffs, Ovechkin's production has actually gone up in the playoffs. He's averaged 1.35 points per game in the playoffs, including .68 goals per game. And his increased production may be explained by the extra ice time. (23:29 minutes per game average in the playoffs.)

I still maintain that Ovechkin is a scoring machine (more goals than any other player since the lock-out), and at 25 years of age, he has a lot of productive years ahead of him. Have teams figured him out? Sure, but no different than other prolific players (one dimensional or otherwise) who teams try to neutralize.

Will he average 50 goals a season for the next 6 seasons? (Like he did his first six NHL seasons.) Maybe not, but I would not be surprised to see him score 50 or more goals a few more times in his NHL career. And while he dipped to 32 goals last season (and he's around the same pace early this season), I don't think he will remain at this below average pace for the next 5-6 seasons. I'm curious though – do people think he will be a 30-goal scorer the next 5-6 years or more like a 40-goal scorer?

Time will tell (as always), but I wouldn't bet against Ovechkin. Despite comments about him "not caring," I think he cares a lot. His teammates will tell you so, and even his ex-teammate Matt Bradley (who made some heavy criticisms of Semin) had positive things to say about Ovechkin, about his compete level, and how much he wants to win, etc.

I believe this is true about Ovechkin, and I also believe he has tremendous talent (especially as a sniper), talent that just doesn't disappear, and talent which overrides defensive systems.

A big factor is ice time. Ovechkin is not getting the same ice time as in the past. We're around the "quarter-pole" mark of the season right now, and Ovechkin is below 19 minutes of ice time per game, which is almost three minutes less than what he averaged the past two seasons, and four minutes when he was performing at his peak.

Maybe Ovechkin is to blame for the lack of ice-time? Could it be his fitness level? Or his commitment to defense? Or a rift with his coach? Those are changeable factors, and maybe Washington's coach (and GM) think Ovechkin's regular season performance (and ice time) are secondary to how they do in the playoffs. And it's hard not to argue with that!
Guest5052 Posted - 11/22/2011 : 11:23:27
Looking at his stats, i must say its not as if he hasnt had prolonged success... 4 out of his first 5 years with 50+. Last year was really his only blip and obviously he's again off pace this year.

I cant believe that somehow teams took 5 years to 'figure him out'.

The Montreal example is interesting, because for all they played a good system, Washington absolutely dominated but couldnt find a way past Halak. It was not as if Montreal stiffled their offence per se, but managed to score timely goals and frankly frustrated a 'snakebitten' team. ... as they did to Pitts.

For me, Ovechkin has all the ingredients and 'tricks' to get back to 50, except that now his professionalism or mental toughness (whatever you may call it) is really being challenged. He seems like he is second guessing himself out there and not making the simple plays he used to with confidence.

Perhaps we might ask if Bourdreau is teh type of coach to allow him to flourish? ... and obviously the next question then is is that a good or bad thing (ie does reigning in your superstar give your team a better shot at the cup)?

Regardless of the actual answer to that, I do think Bourdreau will be axed soon.

I tend to believe that Ovi will hit 50 again soon enough.... not this year though.
mandree888 Posted - 11/22/2011 : 11:03:41
i think that ovi will reach the 50 goal mark again as soon as he stops the one trick pony all the time. he has a great wrist shot that can be deadly but he insists on shooting from the left side dot all the time. start being less of a one trick guy and start showing why he was in a dog fight with crosby as the number one in the draft. im not an ovi fan but i can not deny the guy has talent he just needs to start USING that talent. Ovi is a guy that should be feard on the ice and it almost seems like as long as one person pressures him in the left hand dot he will not score. i dont get why doesnt recognize this and try something different.

i am a real leaf fan. i know they wont win a cup i like em anyway! ~true leafs fans
Beans15 Posted - 11/22/2011 : 09:56:17
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

First things first Beans, i didn't mean to imply that he's necessarily got other "tricks" up his sleeve, and quite frankly, i don't see him enough to disect his game for you. In fact, if you look at what i said, i basically said i don't agree that the "one trick" bit is the reason behind his slump. You seem to think teams have figured him out. I got news for you, in his multiple 50 goal seasons, EVERYONE knew what he was gonna do, they just couldn't stop him from doing it and it seems to me that the more he shoots, the more he scores. So, why no have him shooting more??? [/quote]

I don't think that anyone new exactly what he would do when he first came on the scene. Secondly, it's not like teams can snap their fingers and find a strategy on how to stop any player. It usually takes trying different things and different teams trying different things. I believe that Martin and the Canadiens figured it out 2 years ago in the playoffs and other teams have adopted the strategy. I believe that a shadow on Ovechkin and or getting in doubling up in the shooting lanes to block shots is the key. Everyone knows that Ovechkin will shoot every single time he can. Not every team will shut him down as problem is not every team can afford to do this and still contain the other talented players that Washington has.

Finally, what I have said for the pasdt 3 years, is that Ovechkin's shot total and goal total are not relative. I can appreciate they never are when dealing with hockey players and that shooting % is not scaleable. However, take a look at this.

Year Team GP G Shots PCT
2011-12 Washington 19 7 68 10.29
2010-11 Washington 79 32 367 8.72
2009-10 Washington 72 50 368 13.59
2008-09 Washington 79 56 528 10.61
2007-08 Washington 82 65 446 14.57
2006-07 Washington 82 46 392 11.73
2005-06 Washington 81 52 425 12.24
If you look specifically at the 09/10 seasons and the 10/11 season you will see that the exact same number of shots resulted in the 18 fewer goals year over year. Also, his shot totals in 05-06 were relatively close to those in 07/08 but resulted in 13 more goals.
Alex116 Posted - 11/21/2011 : 14:31:18
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

I have a few quick questions to those of you who think Ovechkin is more than a one trick pony.

1 - What are his tricks? I am interested to hear what he does other than skate fast and shoot hard. Is it defensive. Is it puck control?? Is he a play-maker?? Can he stick-handle and deke his way to scoring?? What are his other tricks??

2 - If you believe he has other tricks, why is it that he has been on the bench during the most crucial times of the game??

3 - Ultimately, what does Ovechkin bring to the Caps if and when he is not scoring???

4 - What is it about Ovechkin that other teams fear, other than skate fast and shoot hard??

I am not asking this to dispute, I am asking this to learn. I am not a fan of Ovechkin as other are so I am wondering if that bias is clouding my vision and looking to be enlightened.

First things first Beans, i didn't mean to imply that he's necessarily got other "tricks" up his sleeve, and quite frankly, i don't see him enough to disect his game for you. In fact, if you look at what i said, i basically said i don't agree that the "one trick" bit is the reason behind his slump. You seem to think teams have figured him out. I got news for you, in his multiple 50 goal seasons, EVERYONE knew what he was gonna do, they just couldn't stop him from doing it and it seems to me that the more he shoots, the more he scores. So, why no have him shooting more???

As for his being on the bench, i can't explain it. Well, certainly when they're up a goal late, i think it's self explanatory, but to have him sitting when you need a goal is ludicrous!

If / when he's not scoring, he brings but one thing, and that is the threat that he will score! He's no defensive superstar, but he's a guy you can't ignore or let outta your sight.

As for other teams fearing something other than his speed and shot, prob not a whole lot. What else is there to fear though? I set up guy may be feared for his playmaking, but not for his shot in a similar way (see Henrik Sedin). His speed can create chances, draw penalties, get in on forchecks, lead to breakaways, etc. How much more does a guy like this need to scare the opposition?

I'm not OV lover myself, i just think that there's enough there to convince me that once he and Backstrom get back to playing like they were, there will be 50 goal season's once again. Also, if his weight is an issue, watch out, cuz it won't take long for him to figure it out and be back in better shape. If that's really what's slowing him down, i'd be willing to be he pulls a Malkin and comes back next year with something to prove, in the best shape of his life. Furthermore, if Crosby does anything even close to what he was doing last year, this year, that may just motivate OV as well?
Beans15 Posted - 11/21/2011 : 10:35:12
I have a few quick questions to those of you who think Ovechkin is more than a one trick pony.

1 - What are his tricks? I am interested to hear what he does other than skate fast and shoot hard. Is it defensive. Is it puck control?? Is he a play-maker?? Can he stick-handle and deke his way to scoring?? What are his other tricks??

2 - If you believe he has other tricks, why is it that he has been on the bench during the most crucial times of the game??

3 - Ultimately, what does Ovechkin bring to the Caps if and when he is not scoring???

4 - What is it about Ovechkin that other teams fear, other than skate fast and shoot hard??

I am not asking this to dispute, I am asking this to learn. I am not a fan of Ovechkin as other are so I am wondering if that bias is clouding my vision and looking to be enlightened.
Guest7138 Posted - 11/21/2011 : 08:54:50
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

Appreciate the candor Beans, and appreciate the response with your thoughtful comments.

I have always thought he was so much more than a "one trick pony" however, and we will have to agree to disagree on that point. He has sick stick handling, awesome shot obviously, great physicality, very strong on the puck . . . and he is a pretty fast skater as well. Certainly not what I would say is a one trick pony.

Has anyone considered that the tragedy in Russia has also really affected Ovechkin? I am sure some of you have noticed that many of the Russian superstars are not having banner years out of the gate . . . but whatever it is, I still count it as a sort of "malaise", as opposed to any huge defensive or goalie adjustment made on his account after he has had 4 all-star years of owning the league.

the problem is that these so-called russian superstars signed fat, long term contracts which automatically turned off the "try hard" light.

moreover, ovechkin, as someone so astutely pointed out is a one-trick pony. i will go further out on the limb and proclaim him to be a fraud. ovechkin doesnt know the meaning of subtlety. his choppy stride is boring and so is he.
irvine Posted - 11/19/2011 : 18:22:23
Alex, nail, head.

Well said Alex. You basically took the words out of my mouth.

Irvine/prez.
Pasty7 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 21:27:39
their were rumours that ovie was out of shape and Pierre Mguire said on the team 990 early in the seasonm maybe even during preseason that ovie checked in at over 250 lbs this season,,, that could be a huge factor as his style of goal is beat the defender to the outside with speed then shoot... well 20 extra lbs makes it hard to beat a defender to the outside

"I led the league in "Go get 'em next time." - Bob Uecker
Alex116 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 16:00:52
I think he'll hit 50 again myself. Backstrom is a phenomenal playmaker and eventually they'll get back to what they did before. Don't forget, Backstrom went from 101 points to just 65 in the same time span that OV suddenly dropped to barely a PPG player!

I'm not sure i agree Beans, that this whole "one trick pony" theory is behind his slump, if you can call it that. What i mean is, you're blaming the fact that he took 7 or 8 shots a game, some of which were poor. But now that he's taking less, he's scoring less is he not? Unless this is somehow affecting the Caps team in a bad way, i don't get it?

I'd love to see how the other lines are doing these past couple years to see what kind of support he's got in the scoring department? Keep in mind, he could have a hat trick in his next game and suddenly be on pace for over 45 goals, therefore he's a couple 3 goal games away from being on, or above, pace for 50+. Not saying he's gonna do it this year, but from a guy who had consecutive season's of 52, 46, 65, 56 & 50 before falling to 32 last year, i wouldn't bet against him hitting 50 again in the next 2-3 years!

Also, if BB has reeled him in and changed him, thus producing his 32 goal / 85 point season of last year, how much good did it do the Caps? They still didn't get to where they wanted / were expected to!

Caps last three years.......
08/09 - 108 pts (4th overall), lost 2nd round in 7 games to Pgh
09/10 - 121 pts (1st overall), lost first round in 7 games to Mtl
10/11 - 107 pts (2nd overall), swept in 2nd round by TBay

In those years, OV had 110, 109 and then 85 points. If i'm the coach, i'd prefer OV scoing 100+ points, if i'm going out in the 2nd round anyway.
n/a Posted - 11/18/2011 : 15:29:13
Appreciate the candor Beans, and appreciate the response with your thoughtful comments.

I have always thought he was so much more than a "one trick pony" however, and we will have to agree to disagree on that point. He has sick stick handling, awesome shot obviously, great physicality, very strong on the puck . . . and he is a pretty fast skater as well. Certainly not what I would say is a one trick pony.

Has anyone considered that the tragedy in Russia has also really affected Ovechkin? I am sure some of you have noticed that many of the Russian superstars are not having banner years out of the gate . . . but whatever it is, I still count it as a sort of "malaise", as opposed to any huge defensive or goalie adjustment made on his account after he has had 4 all-star years of owning the league.

Beans15 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 13:25:37
quote:
Originally posted by slozo

More than I asked for, Pasty.

My questions are pretty simple and direct, for the most part . . . and when actually asking for a real guess - as opposed to three or four scenarios which could occur, which I am sure most of us can figure out - I was hoping for ral guesses.

You gave a real guess, and that's great Pasty . . . but I seriously don't get why I get such an indignant response for simply asking for answers from direct questions. Especially when I couched my retort to Beans in such a fanciful and joking manner.

Ovechkin, btw, does not look great at all this year. And I disagree with you Pasty on your outlook for the rest of his career . . . you seem to insinuate he is motivated by money, but his best years were after signing a long term deal.

I think he might barely get 50 again, maybe it's next year or the year after, but that might be it. Sad, as a hockey fan . . . I really had high hopes for him to be the next Bossy in terms of exciting goal production.

Very fair comments Slozo and I will happily remove my jerk hat for a second and be reasonable. Yes, that is me admitting that I have been unreasonable and sending my apologies.

I don't think that Ovechkin will be a 50 goal guy again for a number of reasons. Firstly, what I have eluded to already. He needs a new one trick pony as his current pony is dead. Skate really fast and shoot and/or use the defensemen to screen the goalie and shoot is not working anymore. Secondly, I see Bruce Boudreau's change in philosophy this year from just some dude sitting behind a bench to an actual coach. I think BB has realized that not having any control over Ovechkin and allowing him shooting at will has not won the Caps anything. Ovechkin will have to fall in line to win and winning will likely mean that his 7-8 shots a night when 5 of them are poor shots will have to change. Therefore his goal production will go down.

The answer is no, not 50 again. Maybe mid 40's, but I don't see 50 in his future. However, now that I have made a specific prediction he will go on to score 60 or something stupid.
Leafs81 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 11:59:07
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

I bet you after 1 more year (after this season) of decline into the Mediocre by his standards The Capitals put Ovie on the market, I bet a smaller market franchise on the verge of success makes the deal for him and he immediatly pays dividens returning to his super status (meaning scores over 50g again) and helps lead this franchise to the second round of the playoffs. Instrumental in saveing this franchise (cough Columbus cough ) from bankrupcy and perhaps relocation. He then puts up back to back to back 50 goal season. The following years falls to the 40ish goal mark. At 36 years old returns to Russia after a 29 goals season. (he will be 36 in his contract year) then at age 38makes a return to the NHl with the Washington Capitals and scores a astounding 49 goals 1 shy of the 50 mark and finally wins his first and only Stanley cup, at 39 trys to give it one more go but has rough go at it with injuries only playing 54 games and amassing 39 points decides to call it a career......

Specific enough for you Slozo??

That is great! I actually did Laugh out loud.
Alex116 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 10:40:51
quote:
Originally posted by Pasty7

I bet you after 1 more year (after this season) of decline into the Mediocre by his standards The Capitals put Ovie on the market, I bet a smaller market franchise on the verge of success makes the deal for him and he immediatly pays dividens returning to his super status (meaning scores over 50g again) and helps lead this franchise to the second round of the playoffs. Instrumental in saveing this franchise (cough Columbus cough ) from bankrupcy and perhaps relocation. He then puts up back to back to back 50 goal season. The following years falls to the 40ish goal mark. At 36 years old returns to Russia after a 29 goals season. (he will be 36 in his contract year) then at age 38makes a return to the NHl with the Washington Capitals and scores a astounding 49 goals 1 shy of the 50 mark and finally wins his first and only Stanley cup, at 39 trys to give it one more go but has rough go at it with injuries only playing 54 games and amassing 39 points decides to call it a career......

LOL! I was wondering where you were going with that prediction!
Guest8492 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 08:23:38
I would like to go to the bank, take out as large a loan as possible, and bet it all against anything Pasty said there being remotely close to what will actually happen. No way Caps trade Ovi in a million years, unless he sucks so much that no team would take on his contract anyways.
n/a Posted - 11/18/2011 : 07:52:30
More than I asked for, Pasty.

My questions are pretty simple and direct, for the most part . . . and when actually asking for a real guess - as opposed to three or four scenarios which could occur, which I am sure most of us can figure out - I was hoping for ral guesses.

You gave a real guess, and that's great Pasty . . . but I seriously don't get why I get such an indignant response for simply asking for answers from direct questions. Especially when I couched my retort to Beans in such a fanciful and joking manner.

Ovechkin, btw, does not look great at all this year. And I disagree with you Pasty on your outlook for the rest of his career . . . you seem to insinuate he is motivated by money, but his best years were after signing a long term deal.

I think he might barely get 50 again, maybe it's next year or the year after, but that might be it. Sad, as a hockey fan . . . I really had high hopes for him to be the next Bossy in terms of exciting goal production.

Pasty7 Posted - 11/18/2011 : 00:59:23

Guest4629 Posted - 11/17/2011 : 23:00:20
Love to see OV Get Owned by Ondrej Pavelec Tonight ... That was awesome...
willus3 Posted - 11/17/2011 : 13:27:41
What's all the chippyness about my Mod brethren? Let's talk hockey folks...
Beans15 Posted - 11/17/2011 : 10:22:59
How dare any of you weathermen out there agree with me. Where are your stones?? Didn't you see Slozo say you have to be dead on with a number to participate???
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 11/17/2011 : 09:56:46
Well, I believe Ovechkin has it in him to change his game. I do believe he has the potential to score 50 again. I think as other posters have said, teams are playing him tighter, reducing his shot time and quality chances. Lots of life left in this guy and lots of season left for him to go on a scoring run. This is a guy who has a 4-5 goal in a game potential. I do believe as the years go on he will become more rounded and look to pass first vs his former shoot first, shoot often mentality.
Guest4178 Posted - 11/16/2011 : 16:28:47
I think Ovechkin will score 50 or more goals two or three more times in his NHL career. I agree with Beans that he will have to reinvent himself, and I think he can to an extent.

It's true he used to take shots from all over the place, and I get the feeling he's been told to be a bit more selective.

Since his rookie season, and five seasons thereafter, he led the league in shots taken on net, and some years by a large margin! (And along the way, he averaged 50 goals a season over his 6 full NHL seasons.)

So far this season, he sits in 30th place in shots, which is a bit surprising, and quite telling. And while it's only 16 games into the season, he is prorated to finish up with only 277 shots this season. This is a big drop from his average of 421 shots taken each of his first six seasons! (And we're only counting the shots taken on net. How many shots does he take which either miss the net, hit the post, or get blocked by a defender?)

While I do think he needs to adjust his game, he still needs to fire the puck when given the opportunity. He has a wicked shot (and aim), and I haven't checked the stats, but I think he probably has more goals than any other NHL player since the lock-out? And he's only 26 years old!

One last point. Ovechkin has proven himself to be very durable. He plays the game hard, likes to play the body, and he has avoided major injuries. In six full seasons, he's missed only 16 games, and a few of those missed games (4 I believe) were due to suspensions.
Guest9874 Posted - 11/16/2011 : 13:43:35
I aggre with gest 2760!
n/a Posted - 11/15/2011 : 05:11:18
You know guys, if you want to take the standard response that most scaredy-cat sports writers take, fine. Give a huge range of options of what the player might do in the future.

Hell, be the weatherman and give us percentages, so that no matter what, you are never wrong.

But frankly, THIS poll is for those very brave souls, willing to stick their necks out, put it all on the line, by giving their best guess to a few hockey poolie internet stragglers . . . rofl. I know, I know . . . you are probably saying to yourself right now, "it's TOO MUCH PRESSURE!!!". Well, then don't partake, ok?

Leafs81 Posted - 11/14/2011 : 12:02:03
I agree with Beans. His effort and desire is still there, he still skates hard and shoots and wants to score. But the NHL coaches found a way to stop him (to a certain degree) and now he has to change the way of playing in order for him to score 50 goals again. I believe Jacques Martin was the first coach to really neutralize him when they met in the playoffs.

So yes if he re-invent himself.
Beans15 Posted - 11/14/2011 : 09:30:56
Maybe you missed the comment the 2nd time I posted it, so I will do it a 3rd time.

He might score 50 goals again, but he will have to re-invent himself.

That does not isolate down to a specific number or range of goals. That means he could be a less than 20 goals per year, 30 goals per year, 40 goals per year, 50 goals per year or more. It means it is completely up to Ovechkin how many goals he scores based on his ability to find more than his normal one trick.

Thanks for my very own option. Too bad it does not explain my opinion.
Go_Habs_Go Posted - 11/14/2011 : 06:27:03
Ovechkin is just a fat kid, his glory days are over. The team is Backstrom's now

"Bon point Jacques!" - Benoît Brunet
n/a Posted - 11/14/2011 : 05:47:33
The only option that didn't satisfy every possible outcome would be 20 goals or less for the rest of his career. I thought that so unlikely as to be ridiculous to put on the poll, but if you want me to put it on Beans, then so be it!

Beans15 Posted - 11/13/2011 : 16:26:16
What Slozo, no comments towards Willus or Guest for not anwering the question???

Hmmm.......

I believe that Ovechkin can if he re-invents himself. Perhaps that repeated wil answer your question. Or perhaps when you make a poll such as this you should have an option for 'other' as I did not see a choice that reflected my opinion.
willus3 Posted - 11/13/2011 : 09:27:24
quote:

I don't think Ovechkin's desire has lacked, it's that his one trick pony move doesn't work anymore. He takes shots for anywhere and everywhere and has very little in the way of 'moves' other than skate faster than the other guy and shoot hard.

The NHL has figured him out and if he wants to be a 50 goal guy again, he will have to re-invent himself.

Agreed. Much the same way a goalie with a flaw will be exposed and if they cannot address the flaw will be done in the NHL. See Jim Carey and possibly much more recently Luongo.
Guest2760 Posted - 11/13/2011 : 07:01:20
No one cares about Ovechkin anymore, there are better stars emerging like Hall, Segiun, Skinner and Nugent-Hopkins. The Ovechkin era is over.
n/a Posted - 11/13/2011 : 06:52:39
quote:

I don't think Ovechkin's desire has lacked, it's that his one trick pony move doesn't work anymore. He takes shots for anywhere and everywhere and has very little in the way of 'moves' other than skate faster than the other guy and shoot hard.

The NHL has figured him out and if he wants to be a 50 goal guy again, he will have to re-invent himself.

So do you have an answer to the question? A guess? Anything at all?

Beans15 Posted - 11/12/2011 : 12:09:11

n/a Posted - 11/12/2011 : 11:09:51
My vote was for just once more - and I don't think it'll be this year, either.

He is a highly skilled player who has changed his game a bit I feel, and I don't know whether it's a slight complacency, or lack of drive, or what, but . . . something isn't there. The jump he used to have on the rush is not the same.

I think he's a high 30s, 40 goal scorer for the next 5 years, with maybe a 50 goal season in the next few, followed by a gradual decline.

Personally, I think fame and fortune / the spotlight got to him. It's just affected his personal drive for success, and at that level, every inch of effort matters.

nuxfan Posted - 11/11/2011 : 11:50:01
I believe he will again. It may not be this year, but he will. He's only 26 years old, and has scored more than 50 4 times already - he has the tools to do so, and he'll find them again.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page