Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Luongo Trade

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vandrew87 Posted - 04/13/2012 : 18:27:56
Now don't get me wrong, I'm all the way a huge Canucks fan, (which was very hard to be on June 15th, 2011).

But I see one very glaring issue with the team, regardless of the outcome of the 2012 playoff season. And that is without a doubt the problem between the pipes. (If you can actually call having two starting goalies a problem).

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm one of the few people from Vancouver who believes that if we were a hell of a lot less critical of Luongo and just let him play his game without jumping down his throat whenever he has a bad day, that he would be a lot more confidant and play a lot better in live or die situations. I actually like Luongo.

But in my mind, Schneider has the potential to be the better goalie, and given the teams long term aspirations, I believe that Schneider should be the goalie they pick to backstop the team. He's younger, has proved that he can hold top 3 in the league numbers, AND he has been solid in very critical situations. The guy just doesn't crack.

Now of course the problem that we all know is Luongo is under contract until the year 4043 or the apocalypse, (whichever arrives sooner), and his salary cap is HUGE. What are the chances of dumping Luongo on a team like Toronto, NY Islanders, Columbus or Tampa, (all of which have HUGE needs in net)?

Just for discussions sake, what are the chances/problems/pieces/logistics of a Luongo trade? And where would he go

"If you can play, You Can Play"
40   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
nuxfan Posted - 07/19/2012 : 09:32:22
quote:
Originally posted by slozo
I appreciate your answers nuxfan as coming from you, but . . . in terms of Vancouver Canucks fans as a whole, my points are based on reality and observation, while yours seem to be based on wishful thinking.

It was observable by ALL that many blamed the cup "loss" on Luongo. Most Vancouver fans are not really happy with Luongo.

And if your argument is "Schneider is appreciated MORE" . . . that most certainly IS snubbing Luongo in a HUGE way.

IF you appreciate a young goalie who has never been a starter in the NHL more than a multiple all-star goalie with the cache of Luongo who is STILL at the top of his game in his prime . . . then how else can you say it? By what twisted logic can you argue that you are not saying that you think Schneider is better than Luongo, based on
- an unfair sample size (played fewer games)
- unfair sample value (played against weaker opponents at less-critical times in the season and post-season)
- unknown variable of how he handles pressure of #1 starter
???

That is the issue I have with you guys.

I see that you THINK you are somehow giving Luongo his due, but I am not SEEING IT.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

To be fair, you probably don't get much in the way of Vancouver news in your neck of the woods - but I get my fill here, so trust me when I say there was plenty of blame to go around for the cup loss here, the post-mortem went on for weeks. Sure, Luongo let in 20 goals in 3 games in BOS, but he was also stellar in the 3 games he played here before game 7, and that was widely recognized. Some other things that were widely recognized:

- VAN's offense combined for 8 goals in 7 games
- there was very little backbone to the team when challenged physically
- after losing Hamhuis, the defense looked very pedestrian
- the Sedin's and the PP disappeared
- Burrows should not bite the hand of a Bruin
- Luongo should not criticize opposing goalie play

The only player that pretty much escaped any criticism was Kesler, mainly because it was obvious he was playing through an injury. Everyone else shouldered some of that loss - so no slozo, it was not put squarely on Luongo, nor should it have been.

But back to Schneider. To answer your points:

- Schneider has played in high pressure situations (I believe I pointed that out before).
- Luongo has also played against weaker opponents. While Schneider started 19 (out of 32) games against non-playoff teams last year, Luongo started 24 (out of 50). He gets his fair share of "easy games" as well.
- The only risk IMO is how Schneider will handle the pressure of the regular starting job in a city like Vancouver. So far he has shown himself to be very calm under pressure, and very level headed when dealing with post-game stuff. He's ready for the challenge.

VAN fans and management obviously appreciate his potential, and want to move forward with him as a goalie. Is he a better goalie? In the last 2 regular seasons, yes he has been the better goalie for this team, but as you point out, that is a small sample size. So, VAN management is betting on potential over proven past performance.

Regardless, this move is not only about hockey ability, and I think you know that. In regards to contract flexibility, Schneider wins hands-down - were Luongo only signed for a couple more years, this trade might not happen, or at least it would be easier.

Finally, while I may be giving undue appreciation for an unproven goaltender, you are clearly selling Schneider short - and thats fair, you just don't see enough of him in Toronto. Do you think that this conversation would be happening at all if Schneider wasn't THAT good, in the time we've seen him? In order to consider Luongo expendable, the replacement had to be stellar, and so far he has been.
n/a Posted - 07/19/2012 : 05:51:47
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan
2) Luongo was not to blame for the finals loss to Boston.

3) Luongo is a top 5 goalie in the league, and seems to be underappreciated in Vancouver

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) You are correct, he was not (solely) to blame. No one blamed Luongo any more than other players were blamed. It was a team loss.

3) Luongo is NOT unappreciated - rather, Schneider is appreciated more. Why do people not realize that?

When fans/team choose 1 player over another, it does not mean that the unchosen one is not appreciated, it just means that they are the second option. When you have room for only 1, you make a choice.

VAN fans and management are well aware that they have a great goalie in Luongo, and that they're trading away (arguably) one of the top-5 goalies over the last 5 years. However, past performance does not guarantee future performance, and the team (and much of the fan base) feel that Schneider presents a better option moving forward.

I appreciate your answers nuxfan as coming from you, but . . . in terms of Vancouver Canucks fans as a whole, my points are based on reality and observation, while yours seem to be based on wishful thinking.

It was observable by ALL that many blamed the cup "loss" on Luongo. Most Vancouver fans are not really happy with Luongo.

And if your argument is "Schneider is appreciated MORE" . . . that most certainly IS snubbing Luongo in a HUGE way.

IF you appreciate a young goalie who has never been a starter in the NHL more than a multiple all-star goalie with the cache of Luongo who is STILL at the top of his game in his prime . . . then how else can you say it? By what twisted logic can you argue that you are not saying that you think Schneider is better than Luongo, based on
- an unfair sample size (played fewer games)
- unfair sample value (played against weaker opponents at less-critical times in the season and post-season)
- unknown variable of how he handles pressure of #1 starter
???

That is the issue I have with you guys.

I see that you THINK you are somehow giving Luongo his due, but I am not SEEING IT.

nuxfan Posted - 07/18/2012 : 15:25:04
quote:

3) Luongo is a top 5 goalie in the league, and seems to be underappreciated in Vancouver

2) You are correct, he was not (solely) to blame. No one blamed Luongo any more than other players were blamed. It was a team loss.

3) Luongo is NOT unappreciated - rather, Schneider is appreciated more. Why do people not realize that?

When fans/team choose 1 player over another, it does not mean that the unchosen one is not appreciated, it just means that they are the second option. When you have room for only 1, you make a choice.

VAN fans and management are well aware that they have a great goalie in Luongo, and that they're trading away (arguably) one of the top-5 goalies over the last 5 years. However, past performance does not guarantee future performance, and the team (and much of the fan base) feel that Schneider presents a better option moving forward.
Alex116 Posted - 07/18/2012 : 14:40:00
Well, all i can say is this. I can in fact see how you interpretted it incorrectly. Have a read of this sentence again: and i'm not referencing anyone on here so please don't jump to any conclussions, ahem, cough, cough, Slozo, cough, cough

Without sounding like an english professor, which i'm nothing even remotely close to i might add, the key word is "SO". I made it clear that i was not referencing anyone on this site. Then, rather than use a "." and start a new sentence, i chose the word "so", which means "therefore" or "hence". I follow this with please don't jump to any conclussions, ahem, cough, cough, Slozo, cough, cough a sarcastic reference to you, Slozo, so that you won't think i'm accusing you of being one of these people. Had i put the "ahem, cough, Slozo" stuff just before the word "so", it would have def been a reference to you. Either way, i can see how you could be confused but i don't think my statement was anything close to "100% incorrect".

Now it's your turn..... In regards to "lumping me together with the bandwagon fans", you did in fact do this. READ HERE:
quote:

You see this Beans? You thought I was only calling out the "bandwagon" jumping fans, but . . . it's prevalent everywhere in Canuckland. They all seriously believe that a back-up goalie who started less than 30 games, 11 of which were against eventual playoff teams (that's 29 starts, 11 playoff teams - 37%, compared with 16 playoff teams out of 30, 53%), with no meaningful games after February . . . that this is the guy who is BETTER than Roberto Luongo, all-star goalie with all the cred in the world.

I totally get why Luongo wants to leave Vancouver now. I didn't get it before, but . . . I totally get it now.

First off, i think that pretty much proves you did exactly what i accused you of, that being lumping me in with the bandwagonners. No biggie, just pointing it out. Secondly, please feel free to show me where i said Schneider is "better" than Luongo. IF i did in fact say that, i'm sure it was in regards to his play lately, something that is pretty hard to deny, but go ahead and try. There's not many people with knowledge of the game of hockey who don't think that Schneider outplayed Luongo in the second half of the season AND the brief playoff showing. Does this mean he's the "better goalie"? NO, of course not. But at that time, he was playing better. Has he acheived what Luongo has? Of course not. Could he fail as a starter? Of course he could. Could he succeed? Yes. But most importantly, is trading Luongo and keeping Schneider, regardless of the risk, the smartest move "BUSINESS-WISE", that Gillis could make at this time? Ask around, and i'm sure you will find that majority will agree that the time has come for Luongo to move on.

Still don't know if you got the "bro" bit, but it's not important.....

n/a Posted - 07/18/2012 : 10:50:34
Slozo, do you
quote:
even read my posts? Cuz if you don't, or you just skim through them, perhaps you should not comment on them?

Feel free to scroll back up to where i've quoted my own post above. I've taken the time to "bold" and even enlarge a very important part of what i said that you seemed to take issue with. Please feel free to see below. If you still choose to skim through my post, just go to the part i just referenced, maybe then you can take your strawman crap and shove it where.......uhh, ummm, where, uhh....ah, wherever you want (this sticking to the rules around here really sucks sometimes.

Now, if you did in fact read it, can you show me where i claim YOU said Holtby would be a HOFer or any part that entices you to call your strawman crap on me or for what i said that makes you "expect better of me" ???

I've defended Luongo for a long time on this site and elsewhere and still consider him a top 10 goalie in the world, something i've been ridiculed for around here i might add. Now suddenly i'm grouped in with a bunch fickle "bandwagon" fans??? Seriously??? That's a clown comment bro! (no insult intended, and if you watch baseball, you'll get the comment.)

Seriously though Slozo, this "you expect better of me" crap is what's really laughable. First you jump the gun and attack me on the Rick Nash thread, now this? Who should be expecting more from who really?

One last thing, i find it ironic how there are a few of you piping in about how great Luongo is. I don't recall EVER hearing this sort of opinion from many of you before? I don't have the time now but i do recall mutiple threads in years past where he got little to no love from a lot of people around here. Not saying it's you guys and maybe you did give him love before, but you can be darn sure i'll go back and look just to be sure, when i have some time and am bored.

Yeah, I do read your posts, and when you stated that there were
a) many guys out there who were real high on Holtby (with references to Hasek and Roy), and
b) these same clowns are saying there's no way Schneider will be any good

and then state "and i'm not referencing anyone on here so please don't jump to any conclussions, ahem, cough, cough, Slozo, cough, cough" . . . I would have to assume that you are stating both
A and B

about me, slozo.

Is that not a fair assumption to make, Alex116? I don't believe my reading comprehension skills have failed me here.

So, I do believe you made a nearly 100% incorrect statement there, thereby eliciting my response about strawman arguments. As has been the case - feel free to look back in the threads, my young man - I have contended that:

1) Holtby was Washington's best goalie going into the playoffs.
(never made aspersions as to how great he would be)

4) It is not just bandwagon jumping fans that are hyper-critical of their goalie, it is the serious/real fanbase as well (everyone).

Again, if you actually read what I wrote, I give an aside to Beans in a post talking to you, "You see this Beans? You thought I was only calling out the "bandwagon" jumping fans, but . . . it's prevalent everywhere in Canuckland."

I hope you realise that from that comment, one can discern that I was in fact NOT lumping you together with bandwagon jumpers, which you clearly are not.

I find it ironic that you got so offended by my post, asking me to reread what you have written . . . when it is so clear to me that it is in fact yourself that has trouble comprehending what you in fact said.

Bro.

Alex116 Posted - 07/16/2012 : 16:44:27

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Alex116

As for the Canucks goalie situation, i could really care less what ANY fan thinks a year or two or five from now, even if Schneider turns out to be the next Jim Carey or Andrew Raycroft. UNLESS, of course it's someone who right now says they should be keeping Luongo. There are very few people on this planet who if they were in charge of the Canucks, wouldn't be doing exactly what the Canucks are trying to do, and that is, move Luongo. It's not even the contract or the fact they've lost their faith in him, it's the fact they've got a guy who they feel will be as good or better and for less money. Let's face it, if it wasn't for Schneider's emergence, or had they traded him 3 years ago when the talk first started about doing so, they Canucks wouldn't be trying to deal Luongo at all right now!!!

As far as Schneider taking on the starters roll, absolutely there's a chance he could flop. But there's also a chance that Luongo totally loses his game and completely sucks next year. NOTHING is a given. But, with the way that the Canucks have brought Schneider along and groomed him for this roll, you have to think he's more prepared than some of the young guys who get the job handed to them at age 20. What i find funny is there are many guys out there claiming that Holtby this the next coming of Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy after his short successful stint yet these same clowns are saying that there's no way Schneider will be any good [size=3](and i'm not referencing anyone on here so please don't jump to any conclussions, ahem, cough, cough, Slozo, cough, cough[/size=4] )
I do agree with nuxfan that the Canucks actually gave Schneider a handful of big games this past season, though admittedly in years past, it was the crap teams like CBJ, Tor and Edm (okay, i admit, although they have been weak, i intentionally threw in Tor and Edm for you Slozo, and you Beans)

Again, this is somewhat of a risk, but it's really Mike Gillis who's in the most difficult situation. If he were to deal Schneider and the Canucks don't win the cup with the players he got in return, he'd be criticized yet if he keeps him and they don't win, he'll be critcized for not trading him for what people will claim would be enough of a return to win the cup!

The idiotic....errrr fickle, Vancouver fans, will not be happy unless there's a cup win. They won't even understand the business side of this nor will they ever admit that Luongo was as good as he was. It's like trying to convince the Luongo haters that Canada won gold, with his help, and not in spite of him.

First off, I'd love for you to show me the quote where I say Hotlby is going to become a HOFer goalie. THAT is laughable. Strawman argument after strawman argument . . . I mean seriously, I expect better of that from you Alex.

You agree that the Canucks gave Schneider a handful of big games? Yep, that's about right . . . A HANDFUL. Maybe 5, 6. You do realise it will require SEVERAL DOZEN big games in a real season, right? And not behind any kind of cushion offered by a proven, legitimate starter who has taken 100% of the fan flak for team failure (totally unfairly, IMHO).

You guys are brutal. Seriously.

And no, as GM, I would be keeping Luongo, and I would have dealt Schneider by now, once I realise I could have gotten a huge return for him, so that I could have added that extra piece for the playoffs.

You see this Beans? You thought I was only calling out the "bandwagon" jumping fans, but . . . it's prevalent everywhere in Canuckland. They all seriously believe that a back-up goalie who started less than 30 games, 11 of which were against eventual playoff teams (that's 29 starts, 11 playoff teams - 37%, compared with 16 playoff teams out of 30, 53%), with no meaningful games after February . . . that this is the guy who is BETTER than Roberto Luongo, all-star goalie with all the cred in the world.

I totally get why Luongo wants to leave Vancouver now. I didn't get it before, but . . . I totally get it now.

Slozo, do you even read my posts? Cuz if you don't, or you just skim through them, perhaps you should not comment on them?

Feel free to scroll back up to where i've quoted my own post above. I've taken the time to "bold" and even enlarge a very important part of what i said that you seemed to take issue with. Please feel free to see below. If you still choose to skim through my post, just go to the part i just referenced, maybe then you can take your strawman crap and shove it where.......uhh, ummm, where, uhh....ah, wherever you want (this sticking to the rules around here really sucks sometimes.

Now, if you did in fact read it, can you show me where i claim YOU said Holtby would be a HOFer or any part that entices you to call your strawman crap on me or for what i said that makes you "expect better of me" ???

I've defended Luongo for a long time on this site and elsewhere and still consider him a top 10 goalie in the world, something i've been ridiculed for around here i might add. Now suddenly i'm grouped in with a bunch fickle "bandwagon" fans??? Seriously??? That's a clown comment bro! (no insult intended, and if you watch baseball, you'll get the comment.)

Seriously though Slozo, this "you expect better of me" crap is what's really laughable. First you jump the gun and attack me on the Rick Nash thread, now this? Who should be expecting more from who really?

One last thing, i find it ironic how there are a few of you piping in about how great Luongo is. I don't recall EVER hearing this sort of opinion from many of you before? I don't have the time now but i do recall mutiple threads in years past where he got little to no love from a lot of people around here. Not saying it's you guys and maybe you did give him love before, but you can be darn sure i'll go back and look just to be sure, when i have some time and am bored.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 07/16/2012 : 13:39:15
Best part of this debate is, no matter how good or bad Schneider plays this year, Vancouver is gonna lose big time by losing one of the most coveted goaltenders in the NHL today. Schneider good/great high %. Loungo track record of being great 10 years in the making. Of course he always pooped the sheets in the playoffs.

I honestly hope he goes to Toronto. Would be a good fit and 10 years remaining on the 12 year contract at good value versus skill, with the option to trade or buyout in the later years. Burke should be so lucky.
nuxfan Posted - 07/16/2012 : 12:21:17
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

The above note is from Nuxfan. I have just one questios to ask.

If Schneider is the man and has been being groomed for 8 years by the genius Vancouver management to take the big chair, why on earth would they sign Luongo to a 12 yr deal just 2 years ago??? If Schneider was earmarked to be the next one, does a 12 yr deal for Luongo make sense???

You are right, what do they know??

Daniel Alfredsson is the MVP of the universe. All hail the Ottawa Senators!!!!!

Ah, hindsight, what a wonderful tool.

2 years ago, I don't think anyone expected this to happen - he was certainly not earmarked as the "next one" in Vancouver, although VAN management certainly knew they had a solid prospect with a bright future on their hands that could be traded for value. VAN seemingly made their bed with Luongo as a goalie, and Schneider was supposed to come up, be a backup while proving he could play at the NHL level, and get traded for value. Who knew he would exceed all expectations and effectively outplay Luongo for the starting job?

Regardless of the hockey decision, I do agree that a large part of the decision to move him is probably business related. I think VAN management has realized that 12 year deals for any player is a bad idea, and they're trying to remove this deal from the books. It looked great 2 years ago, but with Luongo coming off an inconsistent year and turning 33, it must be difficult to stare down the barrel of another decade and 42M. Even harder when your backup has outplayed him.
Beans15 Posted - 07/16/2012 : 09:26:01
Slozo - we all agree there is a risk involved in this venture. Schneider could crash and burn next year, or just turn out to be ordinary while Luongo shines in his new home. We could all be sitting around next April thinking "oh man, we made a huge mistake". I don't think that will happen, and neither does Canuck management - but hey, what do they know? They only drafted Schneider in the first round 8 years ago, nurtured his career through US College, 4 years in the AHL (including a Calder Cup finals appearance), and saw plenty of him during his 2 years and 70 games as the best backup in the NHL...

The above note is from Nuxfan. I have just one questios to ask.

If Schneider is the man and has been being groomed for 8 years by the genius Vancouver management to take the big chair, why on earth would they sign Luongo to a 12 yr deal just 2 years ago??? If Schneider was earmarked to be the next one, does a 12 yr deal for Luongo make sense???

You are right, what do they know??

nuxfan Posted - 07/16/2012 : 09:13:21
quote:

So, you tell us he started 11 games against teams that made the playoffs . . . but fail to mention how many games he started, to give us an idea of the percentage of "tough" opponents.

He had a 20-8-1 record, and played in 33 games (4 games where he replaced Luongo).

His last 9 starts of the season, from March 3rd to April 5th, were ALL against non-playoff opponents, with a high playoff ranking already assured for the team. His last game against a playoff opponent was a 2-1 shootout loss against Phoenix on Feb 28th.

Does that sound like a fair sample size to judge future performance on - given that he will now have to face all opponents, play twice as many games at least, and have no proven back-up if he falters?

Like I said, you Vancouver fans - ALL of you - have your head in the clouds on this subject. The risk of failure here is MUCH greater than you think it is.

1. I didn't realize I was doing all the work for you - google is your friend. It looks like you were able to find out that he had 30-odd appearances last year, I was not trying to hide the fact. How many other backup goalies got 11 "big games" out of 30-odd starts last year?

2. You cannot help the schedule - the teams you play are the teams you play, and you're correct none of them made the post season. However, consider:

- at least 2 of them (vs DAL) were against a team that was desperately trying to make the playoffs at the time
- the Canucks were slumping offensively during that time as well (a slump that continued into the playoffs where it ultimately killed them), they were certainly not blowing the opposition out.

3. Do you think the Canucks management have made this decision based on 30 games during the last NHL season? Do you think that 30 game samples in a single year are what management bases decisions on? Come on man, this isn't Toronto . Besides, I think we can all agree that this move is about more than who is the better goalie right now.

Slozo - we all agree there is a risk involved in this venture. Schneider could crash and burn next year, or just turn out to be ordinary while Luongo shines in his new home. We could all be sitting around next April thinking "oh man, we made a huge mistake". I don't think that will happen, and neither does Canuck management - but hey, what do they know? They only drafted Schneider in the first round 8 years ago, nurtured his career through US College, 4 years in the AHL (including a Calder Cup finals appearance), and saw plenty of him during his 2 years and 70 games as the best backup in the NHL...
Beans15 Posted - 07/16/2012 : 07:45:42
Ok, I really want to stay out of the way on this one as this debate is about to get entertaining. I do want to chime in on a few things:

Firstly, I would not want to lose Luongo. Not at all. Saying Schneider is going to be as good is a little bit far fetched. Maybe he will. But I consider Luongo a world-class, borderline Hall of Fame goalie. They don't grow on trees.

Secondly, having said that, I would also trade Luongo. Not because I didn't want him, but because his contract is absurd. That is the only issue with the deal with Luongo. If the deal was not 12 yrs long, I agree completely with Slozo and I move Schneider. He is worth more so I could get better value and Luongo is the better goalie.

n/a Posted - 07/16/2012 : 07:11:37
quote:

As for the Canucks goalie situation, i could really care less what ANY fan thinks a year or two or five from now, even if Schneider turns out to be the next Jim Carey or Andrew Raycroft. UNLESS, of course it's someone who right now says they should be keeping Luongo. There are very few people on this planet who if they were in charge of the Canucks, wouldn't be doing exactly what the Canucks are trying to do, and that is, move Luongo. It's not even the contract or the fact they've lost their faith in him, it's the fact they've got a guy who they feel will be as good or better and for less money. Let's face it, if it wasn't for Schneider's emergence, or had they traded him 3 years ago when the talk first started about doing so, they Canucks wouldn't be trying to deal Luongo at all right now!!!

As far as Schneider taking on the starters roll, absolutely there's a chance he could flop. But there's also a chance that Luongo totally loses his game and completely sucks next year. NOTHING is a given. But, with the way that the Canucks have brought Schneider along and groomed him for this roll, you have to think he's more prepared than some of the young guys who get the job handed to them at age 20. What i find funny is there are many guys out there claiming that Holtby this the next coming of Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy after his short successful stint yet these same clowns are saying that there's no way Schneider will be any good (and i'm not referencing anyone on here so please don't jump to any conclussions, ahem, cough, cough, Slozo, cough, cough )

I do agree with nuxfan that the Canucks actually gave Schneider a handful of big games this past season, though admittedly in years past, it was the crap teams like CBJ, Tor and Edm (okay, i admit, although they have been weak, i intentionally threw in Tor and Edm for you Slozo, and you Beans)

Again, this is somewhat of a risk, but it's really Mike Gillis who's in the most difficult situation. If he were to deal Schneider and the Canucks don't win the cup with the players he got in return, he'd be criticized yet if he keeps him and they don't win, he'll be critcized for not trading him for what people will claim would be enough of a return to win the cup!

The idiotic....errrr fickle, Vancouver fans, will not be happy unless there's a cup win. They won't even understand the business side of this nor will they ever admit that Luongo was as good as he was. It's like trying to convince the Luongo haters that Canada won gold, with his help, and not in spite of him.

First off, I'd love for you to show me the quote where I say Hotlby is going to become a HOFer goalie. THAT is laughable. Strawman argument after strawman argument . . . I mean seriously, I expect better of that from you Alex.

You agree that the Canucks gave Schneider a handful of big games? Yep, that's about right . . . A HANDFUL. Maybe 5, 6. You do realise it will require SEVERAL DOZEN big games in a real season, right? And not behind any kind of cushion offered by a proven, legitimate starter who has taken 100% of the fan flak for team failure (totally unfairly, IMHO).

You guys are brutal. Seriously.

And no, as GM, I would be keeping Luongo, and I would have dealt Schneider by now, once I realise I could have gotten a huge return for him, so that I could have added that extra piece for the playoffs.

n/a Posted - 07/16/2012 : 06:56:06
quote:

When you're the Canucks, most of your opposition is "the weaker side of the NHL" .

Schneider got his share of strong opponent games last year. Its difficult to measure for sure because teams move up and down the rankings all year, but overall, he started 11 games against teams that eventually made it to the playoffs, and 3 of 5 playoff games. Some highlight games for him last year:

- Oct 13 vs DET - lost 2-0, but faced 37 shots, in what was (at the time) a possible conference final matchup

- Nov 16 vs CHI - lost 5-1, clearly not his best outing, but was given the game

- Nov 26 vs SJ - a 3-2 OT win in one of his best outings last year, pretty much stole the game with a 43 save performance against a pretty hated rival and strong team

- Jan 7 vs BOS - in THE biggest game on the Canucks calendar, in Boston no less, Schneider stopped 35 of 37, and was extraordinarily calm in an otherwise wild game.

- Jan 31 vs CHI - always big games, stopped 37 of 39 in a 3-2 win

- April 15-22 - the 3 biggest games of the Canucks season when all the pressure was on, despite losing 2 of them he allowed 4 GA and had a ridiculous .960 SV.

These are not small games, and in the case of the BOS and CHI games, these are games that default to your #1, and there was a fair amount of surprise at the time towards the goaltending choice.

I guess we'll all have a better idea of how things are going this time next year, and at that time MG will either be a hero or a goat (or something in between). I agree that having Luongo behind him might allow him to play a looser game (perhaps Luongo started feeling the same way about Schneids as the season went on), and as with other backups-turned-to-starters, we haven't seen him play a full season yet - risk is clearly there.

Regarding fan sentiment - unless we lose next year directly because of Schneider, or Luongo wins the cup with his new team, I doubt that anyone will second-guess this trade above others. There is widespread belief (at least in the local press and via people I talk to about hockey) that Schneider has simply earned the spot over the last 2 years, and has potential that far exceeds that of Luongo at this point in time. Further, like a hangover that hits the day after a happy bender, local fans suddenly don't see the wisdom in a 12 year contract for any player (even if the cap hit is favourable), never mind one that doesn't really get going until 6 weeks into the season and cannot always be counted on in crunch situations. Hockey fans here are generally knowledgeable, and its understood that business decisions need to be made, and this is viewed as a good long-term business decision for the Canucks.

So, you tell us he started 11 games against teams that made the playoffs . . . but fail to mention how many games he started, to give us an idea of the percentage of "tough" opponents.

He had a 20-8-1 record, and played in 33 games (4 games where he replaced Luongo).

His last 9 starts of the season, from March 3rd to April 5th, were ALL against non-playoff opponents, with a high playoff ranking already assured for the team. His last game against a playoff opponent was a 2-1 shootout loss against Phoenix on Feb 28th.

Does that sound like a fair sample size to judge future performance on - given that he will now have to face all opponents, play twice as many games at least, and have no proven back-up if he falters?

Like I said, you Vancouver fans - ALL of you - have your head in the clouds on this subject. The risk of failure here is MUCH greater than you think it is.

Alex116 Posted - 07/15/2012 : 21:56:38
quote:

Well, from a Leaf perspective, we'd be more than happy to take that sieve Luongo off your hands, Vancouver. He is so terrible, he just might make us an instant playoff team!

I don't get some of you Vancouver fans. You will really, REALLY miss Luongo when he leaves, mark my words. Schneider is totally unproven as a starter when he HAS to be the man, starting all games, with no proven back-up behind him. It is a totally different scenario, and one that hols an immense amount of mental pressure. Not saying he can't do it - I don't know - but the road to being a solid starting goalie is littered with the carcasses of once promising elite goaltenders who are now in the minors, or career back-ups.

Luongo and his wife just have to get over the fact that Florida and Tampa Bay don't want him/need him, and he needs to expand his (his wife's) list.

Btw, I've never seen a photo of Luongo's wife . . . she must be damn hot to have this much influence on his career decisions. I need pics!

First the important stuff........ http://www.playerwives.com/?s=luongo&.x=11&.y=6

Enjoy sifting through that site. Be sure to check out the golfers section and marvel at some of the hotties that those extremely avg dudes (with a ton of money) have!!!

As far as Schneider taking on the starters roll, absolutely there's a chance he could flop. But there's also a chance that Luongo totally loses his game and completely sucks next year. NOTHING is a given. But, with the way that the Canucks have brought Schneider along and groomed him for this roll, you have to think he's more prepared than some of the young guys who get the job handed to them at age 20. What i find funny is there are many guys out there claiming that Holtby this the next coming of Dominik Hasek or Patrick Roy after his short successful stint yet these same clowns are saying that there's no way Schneider will be any good (and i'm not referencing anyone on here so please don't jump to any conclussions, ahem, cough, cough, Slozo, cough, cough )

nuxfan Posted - 07/15/2012 : 17:26:41
quote:
Originally posted by Beans15

Teams do that for potential Nuxfan. That is exactly what Schneider has. I am not saying he will flop but I can't say he won't after only 60 NHL games. You might also want to add the point that Schneider's games are mostly against the weaker side of the NHL. Luongo went against the best in the league and Schnieder was given the nights off.

I tend to agree with Slozo on this one. Firstly, we haven't seen Schnieder play an entire season as the man. Secondly, how tight does a guy play without an elite guy ready to take over if needed.

I think Schnieder is in a now win situation. If Vancouver does anything other than win the Cup next year, Luonog leaving will be criticized heavily. Rightly or wrongly, that will happen. Maybe not by the true Canuck fans but definitely the masses. I believe that is who Slozo was eluding to in his comments.

When you're the Canucks, most of your opposition is "the weaker side of the NHL" .

Schneider got his share of strong opponent games last year. Its difficult to measure for sure because teams move up and down the rankings all year, but overall, he started 11 games against teams that eventually made it to the playoffs, and 3 of 5 playoff games. Some highlight games for him last year:

- Oct 13 vs DET - lost 2-0, but faced 37 shots, in what was (at the time) a possible conference final matchup

- Nov 16 vs CHI - lost 5-1, clearly not his best outing, but was given the game

- Nov 26 vs SJ - a 3-2 OT win in one of his best outings last year, pretty much stole the game with a 43 save performance against a pretty hated rival and strong team

- Jan 7 vs BOS - in THE biggest game on the Canucks calendar, in Boston no less, Schneider stopped 35 of 37, and was extraordinarily calm in an otherwise wild game.

- Jan 31 vs CHI - always big games, stopped 37 of 39 in a 3-2 win

- April 15-22 - the 3 biggest games of the Canucks season when all the pressure was on, despite losing 2 of them he allowed 4 GA and had a ridiculous .960 SV.

These are not small games, and in the case of the BOS and CHI games, these are games that default to your #1, and there was a fair amount of surprise at the time towards the goaltending choice.

I guess we'll all have a better idea of how things are going this time next year, and at that time MG will either be a hero or a goat (or something in between). I agree that having Luongo behind him might allow him to play a looser game (perhaps Luongo started feeling the same way about Schneids as the season went on), and as with other backups-turned-to-starters, we haven't seen him play a full season yet - risk is clearly there.

Regarding fan sentiment - unless we lose next year directly because of Schneider, or Luongo wins the cup with his new team, I doubt that anyone will second-guess this trade above others. There is widespread belief (at least in the local press and via people I talk to about hockey) that Schneider has simply earned the spot over the last 2 years, and has potential that far exceeds that of Luongo at this point in time. Further, like a hangover that hits the day after a happy bender, local fans suddenly don't see the wisdom in a 12 year contract for any player (even if the cap hit is favourable), never mind one that doesn't really get going until 6 weeks into the season and cannot always be counted on in crunch situations. Hockey fans here are generally knowledgeable, and its understood that business decisions need to be made, and this is viewed as a good long-term business decision for the Canucks.
Beans15 Posted - 07/15/2012 : 14:49:03
Teams do that for potential Nuxfan. That is exactly what Schneider has. I am not saying he will flop but I can't say he won't after only 60 NHL games. You might also want to add the point that Schneider's games are mostly against the weaker side of the NHL. Luongo went against the best in the league and Schnieder was given the nights off.

I tend to agree with Slozo on this one. Firstly, we haven't seen Schnieder play an entire season as the man. Secondly, how tight does a guy play without an elite guy ready to take over if needed.

I think Schnieder is in a now win situation. If Vancouver does anything other than win the Cup next year, Luonog leaving will be criticized heavily. Rightly or wrongly, that will happen. Maybe not by the true Canuck fans but definitely the masses. I believe that is who Slozo was eluding to in his comments.

nuxfan Posted - 07/15/2012 : 09:37:29
quote:

Well, from a Leaf perspective, we'd be more than happy to take that sieve Luongo off your hands, Vancouver. He is so terrible, he just might make us an instant playoff team!

I don't get some of you Vancouver fans. You will really, REALLY miss Luongo when he leaves, mark my words. Schneider is totally unproven as a starter when he HAS to be the man, starting all games, with no proven back-up behind him. It is a totally different scenario, and one that hols an immense amount of mental pressure. Not saying he can't do it - I don't know - but the road to being a solid starting goalie is littered with the carcasses of once promising elite goaltenders who are now in the minors, or career back-ups.

You don't get us because your team is not blessed with 2 very good starting goaltenders - its a good problem to have, however at the end of the day VAN can only keep one of them. So, they end up getting rid of one good goaltender, what do you do?

Slozo, I know you don't see many VAN games, and probably less when Schneider is starting. Schneider is the real deal, there is very little doubt that his next step is to be a starting goalie in the NHL. He has been "the man" when he's needed to be, and has played reasonably long stretches in goal over the last 2 years when Luongo was struggling or was injured (ask yourself, how did the backup manage to get in 30 games a season with a starter like Luongo), and has started many big games. He's positionally sound, calm under pressure, and is not the same emotional headcase that Luongo has shown himself to be. He lets in goals, but he doesn't seem to let in that one bad goal. The team plays better in front of him.

There is certainly risk to this move, I'll give you that. Schneider may collapse under pressure, or become the next Jose Theodore/Cristobal Huet/Steve Mason/etc, and trading away a proven starting goaltender when your team is in its window of opportunity is hard. That being said, Schneider is a goalie that the team drafted and developed over the last 6 or 7 years into what he is now. He's risen through the ranks of the AHL, to the NHL. He's been the backup for 2 seasons, starting 60 games in a variety of pressure situations. Its fair to say that management has had a long look at the guy, and decided that he has what it takes.

Something tells me that had Schneider been made available, there would have been 10 or 15 teams interested in trading for him - probably with Burke at the front of the line. Teams don't do that for simple backup goalies.
n/a Posted - 07/15/2012 : 07:49:14

Luongo and his wife just have to get over the fact that Florida and Tampa Bay don't want him/need him, and he needs to expand his (his wife's) list.

Btw, I've never seen a photo of Luongo's wife . . . she must be damn hot to have this much influence on his career decisions. I need pics!

Alex116 Posted - 07/14/2012 : 10:49:41
Interesting bit from the World Series of Poker where Luongo made a comment to the player next to him about a possible return to Florida. Take it for what it's worth as it could just be Lu speaking from a position whereby that's his "want" or could this meeting / dinner with the owner of the Panthers actually have happened AND gone well???

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/14/luongo-admits-he-might-be-a-panther-soon-during-world-series-of-poker/

Interestingly, i keep hearing that the Blackhawks are one of the more seriously interested teams as far as aquiring Luongo goes, though most online articles i read kinda counter that? Whether or not it's just rumour is one thing, but it sure would be ironic to see him in a Hawks jersey skating to his crease at GM Place in the playoffs vs the Canucks! Just when you think that rivalry can't get any more bitter / better, that happens? How crazy would that be???

Only thing i can think of crazier would be Dave Bolland being a part of the deal and coming to the Canucks. Lol, he'd prob be forced to retire.......
nuxfan Posted - 04/30/2012 : 22:03:05
quote:
Originally posted by The Duke
When you put someone in this position ( a player who also back - stopped Canada to olympic gold )and then replace him in MONSTER TYPE games with his backup...

What kind of message are you sending him ??...are you not killing his ego ??...Destroying his image ??.....this is what i meant by Van. treating him like s**t.

You are sending 2 messages:

1. You think you have a better chance of winning with Schneider
2. As a team, you are ready to accept the consequences of that decision.

Duke, its pretty simple - the Canucks decided (likely at some point in the late stages of the season) that Schneider had outplayed Luongo enough over the last 2 years that they were ready to make a change if Luongo did not get it done in the playoffs. Luongo did not get it done, they went with Schneider, and here we are. As good as Luongo is, he has been outplayed pretty much all year long, in all kinds of pressure situations. The Canucks have been forced to make a decision now because Schneider is an RFA, and they cannot afford to keep them both.

Vancouver did not treat Luongo like crap - they did what any team that makes a goaltending decision does. Whether those goalies are Reimer/Gustavsson, or Luongo/Schneider, its the same decision. Even if your incumbent is an Olympic champion and an excellent goalie, you still make the decision that is best for your team.

All the talk about Luongo, I think there is something that consistently gets overlooked here - SCHNEIDER IS A REALLY GOOD GOALIE. The Canucks management did not just make a knee-jerk reaction and decide to go with Schneids after 3 playoff games. The guy was drafted by VAN, has been in the system for 8 years, and the full time backup for the last 2 and a half years. He had an excellent career with the Moose in the AHL, and he has started 60+ games over the last 2 years in varying situations, and has been *consistently* very good. I think its safe to say that management has gotten a really good look at the guy.
The Duke Posted - 04/30/2012 : 17:53:38
Alex 116 and nuxfan...i didn`t say Luongo deserved those starts over Cory .S....as a coach i would have started Cory . S too..i really would have.

When i said Van. treated Luongo like s**t..... i meant that Luongo was brought to Van. to ...be the man...win the stanley cup...

When you put someone in this position ( a player who also back - stopped Canada to olympic gold )and then replace him in MONSTER TYPE games with his backup...

What kind of message are you sending him ??...are you not killing his ego ??...Destroying his image ??.....this is what i meant by Van. treating him like s**t.

As for comparing this situation to Reimer and Gust in Toronto...come - on !!!...neither of these goalies have done anything in their lives to even be mentioned in the same sentence with Luongo...thats silly

Who cares who starts between Reimer and Gust ??

Now a backup starting over a world class goalie like Luongo...thats a diffrent story....thats newsworthy. Not saying Cory . S ain`t as good as Luongo but still..diffrent circumstances.

Maybe Burke can bring Cory . S to Toronto.....not likely
Guest7852 Posted - 04/30/2012 : 12:23:33
schneider lost as many p/o games a Lou this year.

I think they played relatively equal, problem was they couldn't score

It appears that the fans no longer want Lou in Van City and management is going to make that happen
nuxfan Posted - 04/30/2012 : 11:01:38
quote:
Bottom line, Van. treated him like s**t during the most important run of their season and he wants out... and i don`t blame him....you don`t take a stallion to the race track and not race him.

No more than TOR treated Reimer like s**t when they kept starting Monster even after Reimer was back and healthy...

As a coach, you play your best players to win games. Schneider, for large parts of the season and playoffs, was the better goalie for VAN, and got played accordingly.
nuxfan Posted - 04/30/2012 : 10:58:54
quote:
Originally posted by Cyclonis

I think what people are missing is there was no pressure on Schneider last year, NONE, he was a backup. How will he perform night in and night out without the rest he is accustomed to as the second string tender? This guy is really still un-tested isn't he? Do you keep Lou for a season as the backup if you don't get a good deal for him to be sure Schnieder is going to work out?

In his first year, that was the case, but the Canucks made a point of playing Schneider in some very important games last year, for exactly that reason. Schneids started the biggest game of the year vs BOS, a big game vs CHI near the end of January, amongst others - he did very well in them all. Not to mention 3 games in the playoffs where his team was against the ropes. I am no longer worried about Schneider performing under pressure in big games.

The only thing that we haven't seen is how he'll perform starting 50-60 games per season - which is really the only risk IMO with Schneider. The Canucks are taking a gamble in this regard, but Gillis obviously thinks the rewards outweigh the risks. We'll know for sure next year.
Alex116 Posted - 04/30/2012 : 10:56:45
quote:

Don`t know where Luongo is going, but he is going somewhere, you can bet your last dollar on that....no way he stays in Van. after they ditched him during the playoffs. Van, sent Luongo a message and he is sending them 1 back ....get me the hell out of here.....nothing to do with fooling around or his wife wants this or that....nonsense

I don't think anyone's saying that the wife is the reason he wants out Duke. It's pretty obvious that Luongo wouldn't be interested in being a backup or even in a shared goalie tandem. That, would be the reason he'd be willing to waive his NTC.

quote:
Bottom line, Van. treated him like s**t during the most important run of their season and he wants out... and i don`t blame him....you don`t take a stallion to the race track and not race him.

That's an interesting way to look at it. Vancouver "treated him like s**t"? I don't see it that way, but i guess you do? What i saw was a GM who gave his coach full reign over lineup decision making and a coach, who prob saw his job on the line, choose the goalie he figured at the time to be the one to give his team the best chance at winning.
Cyclonis Posted - 04/30/2012 : 10:18:11
I suspect the weather in Florida is better than Van's. Maybe Roberto's wife just needs some sun?

I think what people are missing is there was no pressure on Schneider last year, NONE, he was a backup. How will he perform night in and night out without the rest he is accustomed to as the second string tender? This guy is really still un-tested isn't he? Do you keep Lou for a season as the backup if you don't get a good deal for him to be sure Schnieder is going to work out?

Clatts Posted - 04/29/2012 : 21:22:58
quote:

Don`t know where Luongo is going, but he is going somewhere, you can bet your last dollar on that....no way he stays in Van. after they ditched him during the playoffs. Van, sent Luongo a message and he is sending them 1 back ....get me the hell out of here.....nothing to do with fooling around or his wife wants this or that....nonsense

I hope Tor. ends up with him. This guy has something to prove now and which ever team gets him may receive a gem with a new out - look on life in goal after the way he was treated during this years playoffs.

People who are told that they are not good enough ( which is the message Van. sent to Luongo ) more often than not come back with a vengance.....ask Tim Thomas....i think Luongo will shine next season, where ever he goes.

As for people talking about his contract of 10 years...so !!....Luongo`s contract can be brought out after 6 years at minimal cost to a team with deep pockets....

The way his contract is constructed, a team in reality are only taking on a 6 year deal with an annual cap hit of around 5 and a quarter million per season.....This is very reasonable in todays NHL for a world class goalie, in my opinion....Luongo will be 39 years old at this point in his career....

After watching this years playoffs, would you rather have Luongo`s cap hit ??...( 5.3 m ) Marc.a Fleury`s ??...( over 6 m i think ) or I. Bryz`s ??...( approx 5 . 8 M )

At another site some leaf fans wrote that if Burke trades for Luongo, fans should walk out of the air Canada center.....what do they want ?? another season of inconsistency with Reimer and the monster ??....some leaf fans are so stupid, they wonder why other fans make fun of them.

This is the first time Toronto has a shot at a real goalie since Belfour in 2004 and they still whine....

M.A. Fleury's cap hit is 5M over the next 3 seasons.

Bryzy is 5.66 over the next 9

I'd take Fleury over Luongo or Bryzy based on Contract and the fact that he has a Cup ring.

I don't think any of these goalies should be written off due to their 1st round performances

"Most of the guys that wear them are Europeans and French Guys."
Don Cherry on Visors
The Duke Posted - 04/29/2012 : 19:45:49

I hope Tor. ends up with him. This guy has something to prove now and which ever team gets him may receive a gem with a new out - look on life in goal after the way he was treated during this years playoffs.

People who are told that they are not good enough ( which is the message Van. sent to Luongo ) more often than not come back with a vengance.....ask Tim Thomas....i think Luongo will shine next season, where ever he goes.

As for people talking about his contract of 10 years...so !!....Luongo`s contract can be brought out after 6 years at minimal cost to a team with deep pockets....

The way his contract is constructed, a team in reality are only taking on a 6 year deal with an annual cap hit of around 5 and a quarter million per season.....This is very reasonable in todays NHL for a world class goalie, in my opinion....Luongo will be 39 years old at this point in his career....

After watching this years playoffs, would you rather have Luongo`s cap hit ??...( 5.3 m ) Marc.a Fleury`s ??...( over 6 m i think ) or I. Bryz`s ??...( approx 5 . 8 M )

At another site some leaf fans wrote that if Burke trades for Luongo, fans should walk out of the air Canada center.....what do they want ?? another season of inconsistency with Reimer and the monster ??....some leaf fans are so stupid, they wonder why other fans make fun of them.

This is the first time Toronto has a shot at a real goalie since Belfour in 2004 and they still whine....

hockeyfan Posted - 04/27/2012 : 04:30:51
Send LUONGO to Montreal...since he's from there and send PRICE to Vancouver which is his hometown...
Alex116 Posted - 04/26/2012 : 22:19:17
nuxfan, likewise, to be clear, i wasn't implying you said that, it was my rumour! Get your own
nuxfan Posted - 04/26/2012 : 21:33:44
quote:
Nuxfan's comment about Luongo's wife being in Fla already spurned me to mention it, true or not.

To be clear, I didn't hear anything about Luongo cheating... just that his wife was sick of the Vancouver weather in the winter. If you grew up in Florida you'd probably have a tough time living here in the winter too...

Gina's dislike for Vancouver winters has been an ongoing story in Vancouver since Luongo got here.
Alex116 Posted - 04/26/2012 : 19:36:12
Beans, i agree, though i have to say, i heard this back in March following that 9 game stretch when he lost 6, and as far as i'm concerned 7, as he gave up 3 in the first 5 mins to Buffalo before being pulled (Schneider ended up taking the loss). He gave up 27 goals in those 9 games or 8 games +5 mins and wasn't playing very well at all. I didn't bring it up then and was reluctant to now as i have no proof to it and while i don't think it's beyond belief, i don't necessarily believe it! I would think this would be leaked somehow, but it is incredible just how much stuff goes on like this that you either don't hear about, or you don't until years later.

Nuxfan's comment about Luongo's wife being in Fla already spurned me to mention it, true or not.
Clatts Posted - 04/26/2012 : 19:22:10
Hockey players like getting laid? you don't say!

btw I remeber when Lindros slept with my dog

Don Cherry on Visors
Beans15 Posted - 04/26/2012 : 19:04:32
quote:

quote:
I had heard an interesting tidbit from a friend who knows someone in the Canucks organization (or closely tied to the organization), that indicated Luongo's wife is at least partly behind the trade demand. She wants to move back to Florida, and is pretty adamant about it - apparently has not been in Vancouver for weeks now. Take it for the rumour that it is, but if so it would put FLA or TB extremely high on the list of destinations for Lu.

I don't think i mentioned this before, but i might have and while not wanting to be a total rumour guy here's what i heard, and this is about 2-3 weeks ago, maybe even a month (back to late season when he struggled a bit)? Again, this is a rumour i heard through the grapevine and the link is that the guy who reported it, works for the organization, but is not in a high profile place, nor directly invovled with the players, so take it for what it's worth (which could be absolutely nothing!).
Rumour is, his wife caught him "fooling around" with another woman. Now, whether or not that's a full on affair, a "puck bunny" on the road, a full on Tiger Woods sexcapade or just a simple flirt with a female fan or reported, i have no idea. Again, it's prob not even true. The report/rumour was that his wife had already left him to return "home" to Florida?

Prob nothing to this, and it's why i didn't bring it up before (that i recall?) but the wife having "not been in Vancouver for weeks" bit got me thinking? Hmmmm.....

I means this with no disrespect in the world as it is a likely story,

but.........

When was the last time a big name player who is married and in the middle of a potential trade situation that was not fooling around on his wife or who's wife was not sleeping around on him with another member of the team?? Lindros slept with everyone and their dog. Comrie slept with Salo's wife. Pronger got a TV news reporter pregnant. Doug Weight was spreading herpes around Edmonton. Glen Anderson was gay and hitting on team mates.

Maybe it's just an Edmonton thing but nearly ever big name player that left here has some kind of sexual tie to something or someone else.

Rumors fly at times like these.

Clatts Posted - 04/26/2012 : 17:35:52
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9644

Canucks should be willing to trade Luongo for a bag of pucks. What is the minimum return for a trade to be accepted? A sixth or seventh round draft pick?

If I'm Vancouver I snap accept the minimum and get rid of one of the worst contracts in NHL history. I would then laugh at the team that has to pay that greasy Italian for another decade of slightly above average regular season goal-tending, followed by inevitable heartbreak and choking in the post-season. Obviously if I can get some value back I do, but the important thing is getting that contract off the books.

Worst contract in NHL history? Have you not heard of Rick Dipietro? Seriously! I would even argue the Kovalchuck's contract is worse...17 years for someone who has never been out of the 1st round.

Don Cherry on Visors
vandrew87 Posted - 04/26/2012 : 17:05:00
quote:
Originally posted by mandree888

yikes canucks this could be a big lose no?
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van120425.html

possibly losing kessler?? (or bieska if fox is in the mix .... lol)

Not going to happen. Kesler fits the type of player that Gillis is trying to trade for, the type of player that they think they can develop Kassian into. Just hopefully Kassian doesn't dive as much

"If you can play, You Can Play"
Alex116 Posted - 04/26/2012 : 16:23:57
quote:
I had heard an interesting tidbit from a friend who knows someone in the Canucks organization (or closely tied to the organization), that indicated Luongo's wife is at least partly behind the trade demand. She wants to move back to Florida, and is pretty adamant about it - apparently has not been in Vancouver for weeks now. Take it for the rumour that it is, but if so it would put FLA or TB extremely high on the list of destinations for Lu.

I don't think i mentioned this before, but i might have and while not wanting to be a total rumour guy here's what i heard, and this is about 2-3 weeks ago, maybe even a month (back to late season when he struggled a bit)? Again, this is a rumour i heard through the grapevine and the link is that the guy who reported it, works for the organization, but is not in a high profile place, nor directly invovled with the players, so take it for what it's worth (which could be absolutely nothing!).
Rumour is, his wife caught him "fooling around" with another woman. Now, whether or not that's a full on affair, a "puck bunny" on the road, a full on Tiger Woods sexcapade or just a simple flirt with a female fan or reported, i have no idea. Again, it's prob not even true. The report/rumour was that his wife had already left him to return "home" to Florida?

Prob nothing to this, and it's why i didn't bring it up before (that i recall?) but the wife having "not been in Vancouver for weeks" bit got me thinking? Hmmmm.....
nuxfan Posted - 04/26/2012 : 16:11:09
quote:
Originally posted by Cyclonis
I thought he played well this year too and he still got replaced in net!

That alone should confirm just how good and how promising Schneider is as a goalie. Its not like Luongo played badly during the year, he had another solid year stats-wise and wins-wise. Yet he was effectively outplayed for the starting role. I think he will be a pretty steady goaltender next year - I'm not expecting miracles, but I don't think he'll suddenly suck either.

Apparently Kypreos has confirmed that Luongo has officially asked to be traded, so at this point any speculation regarding which goalie will move is over - it will be Luongo, and it will probably happen soon. Still waiting for his list of teams, and no doubt TB will be near the top. Who knows who the others will be.

Cyclonis Posted - 04/26/2012 : 16:01:16
Roberto is a great goalie that has become a scapegoat for the Canucks not performing well in the playoffs. I thought he played well this year too and he still got replaced in net! Yes I know they went to the 7th game last year...

BUT! When Van lost to the Bruins last year, someone had to take the blame, and it is easier to rip on your goalie than look at the 0 next to your team's name on the scoreboard.

No doubt Lou will move on and play well for someone else. I doubt Van wants to see him backstopping a divisional opponent or even a team in the same conference so...an Eastern team makes sense for a trade. TB seems most likely due to the older tending they have from Roli.

It will be interesting to see what happens during a mediocre year in Vancouver. I wonder how long Schneider has before the lustre wears off being the shiny new goalie in Vancouver.
Alex116 Posted - 04/26/2012 : 15:02:12
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9644

Canucks should be willing to trade Luongo for a bag of pucks. What is the minimum return for a trade to be accepted? A sixth or seventh round draft pick?

If I'm Vancouver I snap accept the minimum and get rid of one of the worst contracts in NHL history. I would then laugh at the team that has to pay that greasy Italian for another decade of slightly above average regular season goal-tending, followed by inevitable heartbreak and choking in the post-season. Obviously if I can get some value back I do, but the important thing is getting that contract off the books.

This is simply not "one of the worst contracts in NHL history"! It's not like he's performing like Scott Gomez for crying out loud! He immediately improves many teams, some like TO and TBay likely enough to make them playoff teams! You, obviously are not a fan of Luongo, and that's fine. Many like you, just won't accept what he's accomplished as "enough" for what he makes i guess? A gold medal and making the final game of a SCF is pretty impressive if you ask me. I don't see anyone criticizing Kipper, Lundqvist, etc for never winning a cup? Sure, Luongo might have had better teams around him the past 2 years, but did the team help him out any? 8 goals in 7 SCF games? Uh, i'd say not, so to throw it back at a goalie is just crazy!

Those who say Canada won the gold "in spite of Luongo" are just as crazy. He had a 1.76 GAA and a .927 save %. In case you missed it, he was in net when they won the gold medal game, in his own city, that went to overtime (no pressure there eh?). To say Canada won "in spite of him" is to say that any goalie could have been in net. Funny, a guy named Brodeur lost his job to him, AND Team Canada didn't exactly blow the competition away either. A bad goal here or there could have easily killed the team's chances at gold.

Of course, i guess the "greasey italian" comment was prob enough for me to figure what you'd think of anything to do with him. I suppose i should have just stopped reading at that point and not bothered responding......

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page