Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Stanley Cup winner in a Shortened Season

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Guest4178 Posted - 01/07/2013 : 15:01:44
Some fans are already suggesting that an asterisk should go beside the name of the Stanley Cup champion this season. (Because of the shortened season.)

When the New Jersey Devils won the cup in 1994-1995, was their accomplishment less noteworthy because they only played 48 regular season games that year?

Interestingly, the Devils were quite ordinary in the 1994-1995 regular season, with a record of 22 wins, 18 losses and 8 ties, finishing tied for 9th place in the overall NHL standings. (And with only 26 teams in the league back then.)

But they turned it on in the playoffs though, losing a total of only 4 games in four rounds of play, beating the Bruins (4-1), Penguins (4-1), Flyers (4-2), and Wings (4-0) to capture the Cup!

Did the shortened season help the Devils win the Cup? Would they have won the Cup if the season was its usual length?

Who knows, but for the Devils to make it to the postseason, and win four best-of-seven series makes them a legitimate Cup winner in my books!
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Guest5052 Posted - 01/10/2013 : 14:40:10
I kinda think that people overthink the shortened season:

It seems most years the team that gets the hottest in the post season wins (LA is the perfect example for that) - thats what the playoffs are really all about.

As to which team does well this year, I suspect is no different than any year: some teams just click (Think Carolina when they won the cup).

id say the same thing for players, admittedly guessing. That there is no real apparent causation between those that played over seas and those that didnt. Some of each will have good and bad years.

So the players that Id pick to do well are no different if there hadnt been a lock out and likelwise the teams. ... unless there is evidence to the contrary - id be happy to stand corrected.
Leafs81 Posted - 01/10/2013 : 13:55:23
I'm with you Slozo, except for Chicago

I say Chicago and LA in the west and NYR and Boston in the east.
JOSHUACANADA Posted - 01/09/2013 : 19:56:53
Think its gonna be a crap shoot. Which team had the most active players during the lockout. From what I hear 14-15 Ottawa senators played steady thru the lockout, with a lot of prospects playing in B-sens team. Down side to Ottawa, Anderson didnt see much time while Bishop and Lehner played exceptional. Last lockout when the B-sens did well, the Sens followed with a stanley cup finals appearance.
n/a Posted - 01/09/2013 : 04:48:03
In terms of predicting who has the better chance of winning the cup in a shortened season . . . it's difficult, as it might be more about who can "get hot" more than anything. Who can predict that?

But just looking at rosters with older stars, and thinking about a compressed schedule that has to start up with a very short warm-up and training camp . . . I have to think that by the playoffs, there will be some tired players, and that the possibility of injury rises significantly because of the short training camp and less rest days.

So, I think those teams who rely heavily on their older, established stars (or who rely heavily on one or two stars) might be in more trouble. The teams that might be favoured to have a good chance to win that come to mind in this category? The Penguins, Washington, maybe even NJ and certainly Tampa Bay (if they are a contender) from the East. From the West, I'd lower the chances of Detroit and maybe Chicago . . . man, the teams out West are just generally deeper, aren't they?

Conversely, I'd favour the deeper, "3 line teams" that are considered true cup contenders. Top of that list is the LA Kings and the Boston Bruins, followed closely by the NY Rangers, and then maybe the Preds and Blues.

For me, there isn't a deeper team than LA, and with a very limited hangover I think (and obviously as defending champs), I am picking them as favourite for myself. Followed closely by . . . I'll say the Rangers, just because of Rask being in net for the Bruins.

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug
sahis34 Posted - 01/08/2013 : 22:08:35
I think the wings are in danger of missing the playoffs this season, but we'll see
foolpittier Posted - 01/08/2013 : 16:42:01
I'm going for the wings
n/a Posted - 01/08/2013 : 05:25:56
Every team has an equal chance. No asterisk, I say.

Obviously it's different . . . and yes, over a longer season the better deeper team will always prevail over teams that "get hot" but aren't that great. But it's all a fair and even playing field, so game on!

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page