Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 Hockey Forums
Allow Anonymous Posting forum... General Hockey Chat
 Milan Lucic involved in altercation in Van city

NOTICE!! This forum allows Anonymous Posting.
 Registered members please login above or input your User Name/Password before submitting!
Screensize:
Authority:  UserName:  Password:  (Member Only !)
  * Anonymous Posting please leave it blank. your temporary AnonyID is
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to include your profile signature. (Member Only !)

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Pasty7 Posted - 12/16/2013 : 16:55:19
Kinda a unfortunate turn of events in Vancouver the other night left Lucic pretty scorn about his hometown heres a link to the video and article:

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Video+Boston+Bruins+star+Milan+Lucic+gets+into+fight+outside+Vancouver/9289970/story.html

http://beta.thescore.com/nhl/news/383941

Hello, 911? It's an emergency, my teddy bear's been kidnapped!
[pause] Hello? Hello?
28   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
irvine Posted - 02/03/2014 : 15:35:32
Since I was not in the bar that night, I can not say what happened.

However,

Is it possible that Lucic did some thing inside of the bar to warrant a fight with the other "unknown" individual?

Yes, it does happen from time to time where a person realizes who another is... and decides they wish to fight the "known" person, based strictly on who they are. But Lucic is also human, and may have hit on the guys girl friend, or commented some thing to the other guy.. resulting in two or three hits?

I mean, it's no different. If I were to do it, you, or Lucic. When you're out drinking, lines get crossed. Whether you play in the NHL or not. ;P

Irvine/prez.
Guest4729 Posted - 01/03/2014 : 00:08:04
Canuck fans are the worst!
Alex116 Posted - 12/30/2013 : 17:21:46
quote:
Originally posted by nuxfan

We're sort of getting off topic here... but this apparently happens more often than you'd think - it seems that its a sort of challenge with the young and stupid, to surprise attack someone that is much larger or otherwise "unbeatable", a sort of punch-and-run. I'm neither young nor stupid, so I don't understand it myself.

Happened to a guy at my office last year, same thing - he was just walking home and someone came out of nowhere and punched him, twice, and then ran when he didn't fall over. My coworker is 6'8 and about 300lbs, so he qualifies as much larger. He did some research into it and found a lot more anecdotes.

Go figure. I truly believe that Lucic was attacked in some form, and would not be surprised if it was this sort of attack.

Don't see what's off topic about this really, but either way, I do know things like this "can" happen. Just seems awfully convenient that it happens to Milan Lucic, a local boy who idiotic Vancouverites feel has betrayed his hometown by playing, and winning in Boston. Not just winning, but being a part of a team that ripped the cup from the Canucks! Add to that, it follows a Canucks / Bruins Saturday night game, a visit to the Roxy (allegedly), etc. Again, this stuff can and does happen, it just seems the odds are against it being a random attack as compared to a premeditated attack of some sort likely from a verbal exchange at some point in the night. Just my opinion of course. Still shocked this clown's identity has not surfaced? Perhaps he scared of the legal action that was threatened by Lucic?
nuxfan Posted - 12/30/2013 : 16:35:57
quote:
Originally posted by Alex116
Now, it's entirely possible i guess, but i have a huge problem believing that some dude just came up out of nowhere and struck him for absolutely no reason, with no words exchanged first or anything? Not saying that Lucic started anything, nor blaming him here, but to just be sitting there minding his own business, stuffing his face full of poutine and suddenly "WHAM", gets' hit in the face? I dunno, it's just hard to believe.

We're sort of getting off topic here... but this apparently happens more often than you'd think - it seems that its a sort of challenge with the young and stupid, to surprise attack someone that is much larger or otherwise "unbeatable", a sort of punch-and-run. I'm neither young nor stupid, so I don't understand it myself.

Happened to a guy at my office last year, same thing - he was just walking home and someone came out of nowhere and punched him, twice, and then ran when he didn't fall over. My coworker is 6'8 and about 300lbs, so he qualifies as much larger. He did some research into it and found a lot more anecdotes.

Go figure. I truly believe that Lucic was attacked in some form, and would not be surprised if it was this sort of attack.
Alex116 Posted - 12/30/2013 : 14:48:56
Slozo....
Thanks for the link. Before this, everything i'd heard/read said that it occured at/outside of the Roxy nightclub. Apparently, Lucic and others from the Bruins had in fact been at the Roxy earlier (though again, this is just something i read), though Lucic and "some friends" continued on to this poutine place to continue their night. I assume if there were other Bruins earlier, they made the choice (imo, a wise one) to return to their hotel after the nightclub.

This still leaves me wondering exactly what went down though. It's reported here than he was sucker punched in "Mean Poutine" then hit again by the same guy outside. No mention of what causes any of this and it's only being reported as a sucker punch. Now, it's entirely possible i guess, but i have a huge problem believing that some dude just came up out of nowhere and struck him for absolutely no reason, with no words exchanged first or anything? Not saying that Lucic started anything, nor blaming him here, but to just be sitting there minding his own business, stuffing his face full of poutine and suddenly "WHAM", gets' hit in the face? I dunno, it's just hard to believe.

I guess what i'm saying is i'm still surprised that we've not heard more about it, have not heard an identity of this thug/clown who struck him, nor his side of the story. I will say this though, if this guy did simply walk up and punch him, i'd have to assume it was because of who he (Lucic) is. And, to those who claim he's crazy and lucky Lucic didn't fight back, careful what you think/say. If this guy was crazy enough to do such an unthinkable thing, i have a funny feeling he felt more than capable of handling himself had Lucic fought back.

Again, and back to my original point, we don't know all the details. Seems really odd to me that nothing more came of this especially if Lucic had buddies with him (we can assume this drunk tough guy did too?).

Would love to hear more of the details really......
n/a Posted - 12/28/2013 : 20:51:21
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by slozo

No, Lucic did not blame the entire city of Vancouver. He expressed his frustration and anger at his hometown, which had let him down and turned against him in at least several incidents that we know of . . . probably many more that we don't know about.

So, if he's "expressing frustration and anger at his hometown", not just the few idiots he's had a run in with, how is that different than me saying he's blaming the whole city? My point was, his comments regarding the city and how he's done defending his hometown imo was over the top. Not surprisingly, he's recinded those comments and acknowledged that he still loves Van City.

quote:
And what was the better option for Lucic in how he handled it that night? From what I gathered . . . he tried to talk the other guy out of it; his friends/handlers got in between when it was apparent he was extremely persistent; and when the stupid management of the place decided not to throw out the offending guy . . . Lucic was left no choice but to leave himself, which he did.

You think he slipped up as a pro in how he handled it?

Then you tell me . . . how would YOU have handled it?

"Take off, eh?" - Bob and Doug

I'd like to see the article you read. I saw nowhere that some of this stuff "you gathered" was mentioned? Did you actually hear that "the stupid management of the place" didn't kick this other guy out? Or is this just some of your guess work or assumptions? Is it fair for me to "assume" that this guy was in fact kicked out and waited outside in the off chance that Lucic came out not too long later? Again, we don't know the details and if i can't suggest that "it's possible" that Lucic was partially to blame to some degree, how is it you can just assume all these other things happened? Again, you may be totally right, my whole point is, we don't know for sure. I'm not, in any way, trying to blame Lucic for the incident, i just think he could have handled it much better and prevented it from escalating to the point it did.

Here's the thing, I've been to the Roxy MANY times over the years. Many, many times. I also knew a couple of the doormen quite well, including one who lived in the same complex as me back in the day. I've also seen MANY celebrities there, from NHLers to musicians, to actors/actresses, etc. I cannot recall EVER seeing any of these celebs/stars enter OR exit through the main entrance on Granville St. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but most of them come and go through the back door off the lane, where they're ushered in from their limos.

So, yes, it is my opinion that Lucic "slipped up as a pro in how he handled it" and I'm pretty surprised you don't share this opinion considering your experience in bartending and security. Even if it was 0% Lucic's fault, IMO, it's his responsibility to attempt to avoid a clown like this at all costs. This would have been easy to do, had he simple left through the back and got into a cab / limo immediately. From one article i read, this incident on tape occurred at Granville and Nelson. That is a good half block down the road from the entrance to the Roxy. Why, at that point, was Looch there? Yes, he's got every legal right to be there, but as a multi-million dollar earning NHLer who's a tough guy on the ice, who's team has a not so friendly rivalry, albeit recent, with Vancouver, who just got into an altercation in the bar, he should have known better and left the area immediately. At that point, be it 2am or has also been reported 4am, NOTHING good could have come from him being out and about on the streets.

So, to answer your last question, I'd have called a limo and arranged for it to pick me up in the lane where the staff at the Roxy would have surely let me and help me safely exit the establishment. This of course implies I'm the well known millionaire celebrity, and not just Alex116 from PUH.

I take back my insinuation that the owner had anything to do with allowing some guy to behanve like a brawling clown . . . clearly, it was just a drunk idiot, unprovoked attack.

http://www.canada.com/news/Milan+Lucic+sucker+punched+favourite+Vancouver+hangout/9293731/story.html

Most of the info that corraborates Lucic's story seems to be provided by the store owner - the white goateed dude who attempts to help out. He has an "off the menu special" named after Lucic . . . that locals know, and that Lucic, on a rare visit, wanted to grab a bit of before ending the night.

The article says it all.

Luckily, you have lots of cops out there at closing time to avoid such brawls. Impossible to have avoided the first couple of punches here, as it's described as a full-on sucker punch, unprovoked.

Lucic refused assistance, even though he'd clearly been hit/punched, and pressed no charges.

Alex116 Posted - 12/21/2013 : 12:09:35
quote:

No, Lucic did not blame the entire city of Vancouver. He expressed his frustration and anger at his hometown, which had let him down and turned against him in at least several incidents that we know of . . . probably many more that we don't know about.

So, if he's "expressing frustration and anger at his hometown", not just the few idiots he's had a run in with, how is that different than me saying he's blaming the whole city? My point was, his comments regarding the city and how he's done defending his hometown imo was over the top. Not surprisingly, he's recinded those comments and acknowledged that he still loves Van City.

quote:
And what was the better option for Lucic in how he handled it that night? From what I gathered . . . he tried to talk the other guy out of it; his friends/handlers got in between when it was apparent he was extremely persistent; and when the stupid management of the place decided not to throw out the offending guy . . . Lucic was left no choice but to leave himself, which he did.

I'd like to see the article you read. I saw nowhere that some of this stuff "you gathered" was mentioned? Did you actually hear that "the stupid management of the place" didn't kick this other guy out? Or is this just some of your guess work or assumptions? Is it fair for me to "assume" that this guy was in fact kicked out and waited outside in the off chance that Lucic came out not too long later? Again, we don't know the details and if i can't suggest that "it's possible" that Lucic was partially to blame to some degree, how is it you can just assume all these other things happened? Again, you may be totally right, my whole point is, we don't know for sure. I'm not, in any way, trying to blame Lucic for the incident, i just think he could have handled it much better and prevented it from escalating to the point it did.

Here's the thing, I've been to the Roxy MANY times over the years. Many, many times. I also knew a couple of the doormen quite well, including one who lived in the same complex as me back in the day. I've also seen MANY celebrities there, from NHLers to musicians, to actors/actresses, etc. I cannot recall EVER seeing any of these celebs/stars enter OR exit through the main entrance on Granville St. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, but most of them come and go through the back door off the lane, where they're ushered in from their limos.

So, yes, it is my opinion that Lucic "slipped up as a pro in how he handled it" and I'm pretty surprised you don't share this opinion considering your experience in bartending and security. Even if it was 0% Lucic's fault, IMO, it's his responsibility to attempt to avoid a clown like this at all costs. This would have been easy to do, had he simple left through the back and got into a cab / limo immediately. From one article i read, this incident on tape occurred at Granville and Nelson. That is a good half block down the road from the entrance to the Roxy. Why, at that point, was Looch there? Yes, he's got every legal right to be there, but as a multi-million dollar earning NHLer who's a tough guy on the ice, who's team has a not so friendly rivalry, albeit recent, with Vancouver, who just got into an altercation in the bar, he should have known better and left the area immediately. At that point, be it 2am or has also been reported 4am, NOTHING good could have come from him being out and about on the streets.

So, to answer your last question, I'd have called a limo and arranged for it to pick me up in the lane where the staff at the Roxy would have surely let me and help me safely exit the establishment. This of course implies I'm the well known millionaire celebrity, and not just Alex116 from PUH.
n/a Posted - 12/21/2013 : 06:33:28
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Guest0866

Nice alex. For all we know lucic could have !@#$ed that dudes gf back in the day or something who knows right?

Suppose it's possible, though I think we'd have heard a little more on this incident if this was some old love rival of his.

OR,
much more probably,
this chump was one of many dirtbag Vancouverite hockey fans, just giving his city a bad name.

Slozo, if i were a betting man, oh wait, i am.....i'd def be putting my money on what you suggest over the guest for sure. It's def more likely.

Guest4178, great post. Well said. Here's the thing though. Slozo is right. There are "many dirtbag Vancouverite hockey fans". I certainly wouldn't try to deny that. Ironically, he's worded it "Vancouverite hockey fans" and not "Canuck fans", making it even more true. You see, there are many hockey fans who are Vancouverite's who would qualify as a dirtbag who don't cheer for the Canucks, but for other teams like the Hawks, Leafs, Bruins, Habs, etc. Regardless, i'm left to believe Slozo erred in his intention and really meant "dirtbag Canucks fans". That too would be a true statement. I've never denied our fanbase has it's fair share of idiots. Nor would i try to! EVERY team will end up with supporters who they would prefer NOT to have. Unfortunately, the team doesn't control this entirely.

As for the riot, which i don't wanna get back into in a big way, many of those clowns were Canucks fans. Not necessarily the ones who came downtown with backpacks with molotov cocktails, hammers, etc, but a lot of those who ended up involved. Unfortunately, that's the immaturity of some moron's out there and our city has to live with that, just as pretty much ANY city would in similar instance. Every team has fans they'd prefer not to have.

As far as the culture or class of our city. Ha, if it was half as bad as anyone who is here to slag on the Canucks and their fans claims it is, our population base wouldn't be growing at the rate it is. Like it or not, our city is known as one of the best places in the world to live. Heck, it must be considering the cost to live here is so high and people continue to come here! Looking back at the Olympics, i think that showed what Vancouverites are like. There weren't many negative stories in the press about the people here not being "good" and hospitable. However, similar to the situation with our hockey fans, we do possess some idiots amongst our reg folks too, but again, what city doesn't? "Pleasantville" was just a movie, right?

At the end of the day, i have no problem with anyone claiming that the dude that was in the altercation with Lucic was probably looking for trouble. Odds are, he was far more at fault than Lucic (though, again, we don't know for sure). But, the bottom line is, and this is the point i've been trying to make, Lucic didn't handle the situation the way he needs to as an NHLer. Certainly he didn't handle it in the way that other more mature players would have (i named a few in an earlier post).

The most ironic part of this thread is that the original comment i made about Lucic going overboard on this incident in how he was blaming the entire city, is exactly what some choose to do here with blaming the entire Canucks fan base for anything and everything Canucks! Sadly, that's the way it is, and will continue to be around here for some.

Alex116 Posted - 12/20/2013 : 15:35:45
quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice alex. For all we know lucic could have !@#$ed that dudes gf back in the day or something who knows right?

Suppose it's possible, though I think we'd have heard a little more on this incident if this was some old love rival of his.

OR,
much more probably,
this chump was one of many dirtbag Vancouverite hockey fans, just giving his city a bad name.

Slozo, if i were a betting man, oh wait, i am.....i'd def be putting my money on what you suggest over the guest for sure. It's def more likely.

Guest4178, great post. Well said. Here's the thing though. Slozo is right. There are "many dirtbag Vancouverite hockey fans". I certainly wouldn't try to deny that. Ironically, he's worded it "Vancouverite hockey fans" and not "Canuck fans", making it even more true. You see, there are many hockey fans who are Vancouverite's who would qualify as a dirtbag who don't cheer for the Canucks, but for other teams like the Hawks, Leafs, Bruins, Habs, etc. Regardless, i'm left to believe Slozo erred in his intention and really meant "dirtbag Canucks fans". That too would be a true statement. I've never denied our fanbase has it's fair share of idiots. Nor would i try to! EVERY team will end up with supporters who they would prefer NOT to have. Unfortunately, the team doesn't control this entirely.

As for the riot, which i don't wanna get back into in a big way, many of those clowns were Canucks fans. Not necessarily the ones who came downtown with backpacks with molotov cocktails, hammers, etc, but a lot of those who ended up involved. Unfortunately, that's the immaturity of some moron's out there and our city has to live with that, just as pretty much ANY city would in similar instance. Every team has fans they'd prefer not to have.

As far as the culture or class of our city. Ha, if it was half as bad as anyone who is here to slag on the Canucks and their fans claims it is, our population base wouldn't be growing at the rate it is. Like it or not, our city is known as one of the best places in the world to live. Heck, it must be considering the cost to live here is so high and people continue to come here! Looking back at the Olympics, i think that showed what Vancouverites are like. There weren't many negative stories in the press about the people here not being "good" and hospitable. However, similar to the situation with our hockey fans, we do possess some idiots amongst our reg folks too, but again, what city doesn't? "Pleasantville" was just a movie, right?

At the end of the day, i have no problem with anyone claiming that the dude that was in the altercation with Lucic was probably looking for trouble. Odds are, he was far more at fault than Lucic (though, again, we don't know for sure). But, the bottom line is, and this is the point i've been trying to make, Lucic didn't handle the situation the way he needs to as an NHLer. Certainly he didn't handle it in the way that other more mature players would have (i named a few in an earlier post).

The most ironic part of this thread is that the original comment i made about Lucic going overboard on this incident in how he was blaming the entire city, is exactly what some choose to do here with blaming the entire Canucks fan base for anything and everything Canucks! Sadly, that's the way it is, and will continue to be around here for some.
Guest4178 Posted - 12/20/2013 : 09:09:29
Did anyone check to see where Toronto's mayor (Rob Ford) was that night? ;)

Kidding of course. But can we not agree that one person's actions (and sometimes an angry mob's actions) does not represent the culture or class of a city?

When "fans" rioted after Vancouver lost to Boston two years ago, I don't think those were hockey fans – they were goofballs. I don't live in Vancouver, but I've been their numerous times, and I like the people there.

Same with Toronto. I don't conclude that one goofball politician represents the entire city (or populace) or all politicians.

I also like Toronto, and I don't live there either. But a riot took pace during the G20 conference, and while the police/security forces should share some of the blame, there were some idiots causing damage out there who were not peaceful protestors.

Sorry if this is off topic, but Pasty described it best in his introduction to this thread ("kinda an unfortunate turn of events...") which is really all this is. And Alex's comments are dead on: "we don't know sh1t" what happened that night, just a few sketchy details.

If you don't like the Canucks that's fine with me, but let's not paint or tarnish the city because of one goofball. To state that this "chump was one of many dirtbag Vancouverite hockey fans" giving his city a bad name is a bit over the top.
n/a Posted - 12/20/2013 : 06:28:14
quote:

quote:

OR,
much more probably,

Alex116 Posted - 12/19/2013 : 22:34:14
quote:

Guest0866 Posted - 12/19/2013 : 18:50:41
Alex116 Posted - 12/19/2013 : 15:05:01
4031.......Pretty sure the previous 2 guests are/were simply slagging / criticizing a team and it's fans, one they hate for whatever reason.

There's never been any talk of the Canucks folding and especially not to move to Seattle. A team in Seattle would be great for Vancouver as far as having a close rival, shorter trips, etc, but Seattle won't be getting a team at the expense of Vancouver. That, you can take to the bank!
Guest4031 Posted - 12/19/2013 : 12:57:43
quote:
Originally posted by Guest9289

well if the team folds and moves to Seattle, that would be a good thing

good for who??
the canucks are one of the top most profitable teams in the nhl.

"three of the league’s five most valuable teams–Toronto Maple Leafs($1.15 billion), Montreal Canadiens ($775 million), Vancouver Canucks ($700 million)–are Canadian. The New York Rangers ($850 million) and defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks ($625 million) are the two U.S. teams to make the top five."
Guest9289 Posted - 12/19/2013 : 07:23:29
well if the team folds and moves to Seattle, that would be a good thing
Guest0232 Posted - 12/19/2013 : 06:55:43
vancouver is a city of classless hockey fans thats obvious. Will we ever see a positive story when it comes to the fans there? probably not considering the team can't win a stanley cup.
Alex116 Posted - 12/18/2013 : 16:52:57
Looks like Looch has already eased up on his hate of his hometown......

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/milan-lucic-still-proud-to-be-from-vancouver-1.2469583
Alex116 Posted - 12/18/2013 : 12:20:55
quote:

Go ahead and call me a meathead and an idiot.

Hmmm, i wonder if i did so if it's still against the rules when you have offered? Well, i've promised admin i'd do my best to stay within the site rules and guidelines so i'll refrain.

I'm not sure if you were commenting directly at nuxfan or me, or if it was both, but the only blame thrown Lucic's way was to say he prob shouldn't have allowed himself to be in that situation. Trust me, ask ANY coach/gm of an NHL team and you'd be hard pressed to find one who supports one of his players being out on the town at that hour during the season, especially in a city which has a rivalry/history (at least recent) like they do with your team!

Now, i'm not saying nor implying that Lucic started this altercation, but let's face it, nothing is more true than when i said "The biggest problem here is that we don't know all the details". You can't argue that, and though your can "assume" all these other things, we don't know for sure what happened to cause this incident. Again, i'm not saying Lucic was to blame, i'm just suggesting that he may not be completely innocent AND he likely wasn't doing the best job at diffusing the situation in the same manner a guy like Datyuk, Thornton or a Sedin would. Guys like that would be very unlikely to end up in a similar situation.

How is it you can "assume" that the things Lucic mentions are only the tip of the iceberg, that Lucic conducted himself "VERY" professionally and that he had guys steer him away from this incident? Why? Your vast security / bartending experience tells you that he would have gotten into a fight had guys not been with him??? Didn't he claim to have been hit 2 or 3 times? Was there not already somewhat of a fight before the police arrived? I ask these things because i, like you, DO NOT know the details of what exactly happened!!!

As for your note to Vancouver fans, which is pretty confusing at best, how is it that you can claim to know any of this stuff "for certain"? Slozo, were you there? Better yet, were you involved???
quote:
Lucic ran into a persistent meathead goon wanting to pick a fight with him in downtown Vancouver

- Lucic somehow avoided the fight

And you know this HOW? We don't even know if there was a fight avoided seeing as Lucic claims to have been hit!!! Again, we don't know the details! You claiming this stuff is "certain" is actually really ignorant. Your theory on accountability and integrety is laughable at best. Are you trying to say that you have integrity because you are "standing up with an opinion on what we know for certain"? We don't know sh1t! We know there was an altercation, and that's it! BTW, no one said Lucic is lying. No one said he exaggerated. Unless i missed it, all that was suggested was that Lucic MIGHT have some of the blame to take in this situation.

I've not, and will not, defend the idiot involved in this incident. I too assume this clown was to blame, but do i know that as fact? NO! In my original post, i even said More than likely though, prob just a drunk local punk who either knew who he was, OR, found out who he was and wanted to test out how tough he actually is? Quite likely a guy who likes to get in scraps and was hoping for that exact thing to happen. Bottom line, likely a fuc$*%# loser. One of many who give a fanbase a bad name, be it Vancouver, or anywhere else.

Slozo, you've done a really poor job on comprehending what was said, particularly by me on this subject. I'll leave it at that.
just1n Posted - 12/18/2013 : 10:57:44
Let's just say that Brad Marchand would have been punched in the face if he was out on Granville at 4am as well!
nuxfan Posted - 12/18/2013 : 09:59:44
quote:

This is a typical Vancouver fan response right here in this thread . . .

1) Blame the victim
2) Question the source/correctness of anything NEGATIVE towards the city . . . and assume that some situationally redeeming factor must be missing from the story.
3) Slough off any notion that Lucic might be, as a hometown boy, honest or forthright in his commentary and feelings.

I would actually assume the opposite:

1) I assume the incidents Lucic mentions are a tip of the iceberg, there are probably dozens of other incidents involved in his exasperation/opinion.

2) I assume that Lucic conducted himself VERY professionally, and that he DID have help to steer him away from this other goon trying to pick a fight with him . . . otherwise, there would have been a fight!!! It's quite obvious to me, in fact . . . I've worked security, bartending . . . I know these situations all too well. When a guy wants to fight, it happens usually - unless you have lots of people in between. Strangers almost ALWAYS step out of the way.

And finally,
I only have this to say to Vancouver fans:

Integrity starts with accountability. Accountability is not a "assume the victim must be exaggerating", or "assume the victim must be lying" . . . accountability is standing up with an opinion on what we know for certain:

- Lucic ran into a persistent meathead goon wanting to pick a fight with him in downtown Vancouver

- Lucic has had at least one previous incident, an extremely ugly one, involving his family's church . . . something I am, as a non-fan of Vancouver, learning of for the first time*

*this is notable, as this shows what incredible restraint Lucic must have had in relating this story to others . . . this could have easily been much bigger news at the time.

- Lucic comes from the Vancouver area, and even though he plays for the hated Bruins, clearly he still wants to be able to go out for a night on the town in his "hometown"

I think you have missed the argument...

I don't think anyone is questioning whether or not Lucic was accurate - I truly believe he was punched in a bar, it was likely unprovoked, and he doesn't seem to have fought back. Good for Lucic.

My point is - this sort of thing happens every night on Granville Street. People get into fights and thrown out of bars all evening long, there are stabbings and gang violence every weekend. When the bars close at 4am, there are lots of fights. And Vancouverites know this - its the place that gangsters and university kids go to get wild. If you don't want to be subject to random acts of violence and mindless drunkenness, you don't go to Granville Street.

So when Lucic goes to Granville St on a Saturday night, and something happens to him, and then he whines about it and calls Vancouver a horrible place, I don't have a lot of sympathy - like every city, there are places that people with a high profile and a lot to protect should not go to.

By all means, go out with your friends in Vancouver - but choose your places.

As to the other events from the 2011 Stanley cup run - they were discussed at some length during that run, I don't think anyone here condoned them, and Lucic was right to be upset. Every city has its idiots, Vancouver included.
Guest6751 Posted - 12/18/2013 : 09:40:39
Let's just say that dude must have been really drunk, really tough or really stupid because to pick a fight with a 6'4" 220lb beast that is Lucic is just not normal. Might as well pick a fight with Chara.

For Lucic to control himself not to get into the fight (likely with help of those around him) is impressive. Kudos to Lucic and his handlers for not being in the news for actually get in a fight and charged with assault or some other misdemeanor.

I take this as a good news event.
n/a Posted - 12/18/2013 : 07:25:24

This is a typical Vancouver fan response right here in this thread . . .

1) Blame the victim
2) Question the source/correctness of anything NEGATIVE towards the city . . . and assume that some situationally redeeming factor must be missing from the story.
3) Slough off any notion that Lucic might be, as a hometown boy, honest or forthright in his commentary and feelings.

I would actually assume the opposite:

1) I assume the incidents Lucic mentions are a tip of the iceberg, there are probably dozens of other incidents involved in his exasperation/opinion.

2) I assume that Lucic conducted himself VERY professionally, and that he DID have help to steer him away from this other goon trying to pick a fight with him . . . otherwise, there would have been a fight!!! It's quite obvious to me, in fact . . . I've worked security, bartending . . . I know these situations all too well. When a guy wants to fight, it happens usually - unless you have lots of people in between. Strangers almost ALWAYS step out of the way.

And finally,
I only have this to say to Vancouver fans:

Integrity starts with accountability. Accountability is not a "assume the victim must be exaggerating", or "assume the victim must be lying" . . . accountability is standing up with an opinion on what we know for certain:

- Lucic ran into a persistent meathead goon wanting to pick a fight with him in downtown Vancouver

- Lucic has had at least one previous incident, an extremely ugly one, involving his family's church . . . something I am, as a non-fan of Vancouver, learning of for the first time*

*this is notable, as this shows what incredible restraint Lucic must have had in relating this story to others . . . this could have easily been much bigger news at the time.

- Lucic comes from the Vancouver area, and even though he plays for the hated Bruins, clearly he still wants to be able to go out for a night on the town in his "hometown"

Alex116 Posted - 12/17/2013 : 10:53:55
The biggest problem here is that we don't know all the details. I have no doubt this punk was looking for trouble, but who knows? Maybe Lucic wasn't so innocent in this whole situation? Maybe he antagonized the guy? Maybe he started it? Regardless, i agree that it would suck to not be able to go out in your hometown for a pint or 2, but it's not the same for all famous people. There's got to be some desire for conflict (physical) from both sides in an altercation like this or it wouldn't escalate to this. Do you think a celebrity like Michael Buble would end up in a fist fight on Granville at 2am (heard other rumours it was actually closer to 4am)???

Lucic needs to learn how to deal with a potentially hostile public situation. It comes with the territory, as does cashing multimillion dollar contracts!

Here's another article on it that dissects the video with the use of a bit of humour! Pretty good read.....

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/12/15/milan-lucic-forgets-the-rules-of-fight-club/
just1n Posted - 12/17/2013 : 09:46:56
You have to feel for the guy in a way. I'd hate not to be able to go out in my own town. Mind you, there are smarter places to go than the Granville strip. I do hate that this is news though, but it's not the first and won't be the last story about meatheads on Granville. Probably not even from Vancouver ;)
nuxfan Posted - 12/17/2013 : 09:23:24
quote:

We have no idea what started this. We don't even know if this dude is a hockey fan little own let alone (sorry, had to throw that throwback in there ) a Canucks fan!!! Could have been some old high school buddy of Looch's for all we know. More than likely though, prob just a drunk local punk who either knew who he was, OR, found out who he was and wanted to test out how tough he actually is?

Bingo. The fact that it was Lucic makes this news, but its not out of the ordinary for bars downtown - fights, people kicked out, random punches, they all happen in bars downtown every weekend. Granville is a human zoo on Saturday night.

Lucic is from Vancouver - he should know better than to be at a bar on Granville at 4am. If you're not into gangs and barfights, stick to the pubs in your east Van neighbourhood.
Alex116 Posted - 12/16/2013 : 23:48:38
This has been played out on the radio around here for the past few days. So stupid. No one really know's the entire truth but all I keep hearing is "typical Vancouver Canucks LOOSER fans" (yeah, I intentionally spelled "loser" incorrectly seeing as that's how most of the degenerate idiots spell it when commenting).

We have no idea what started this. We don't even know if this dude is a hockey fan little own let alone (sorry, had to throw that throwback in there ) a Canucks fan!!! Could have been some old high school buddy of Looch's for all we know. More than likely though, prob just a drunk local punk who either knew who he was, OR, found out who he was and wanted to test out how tough he actually is? Quite likely a guy who likes to get in scraps and was hoping for that exact thing to happen. Bottom line, likely a fuc$*%# loser. One of many who give a fanbase a bad name, be it Vancouver, or anywhere else.

Lucic, IMO, is going overboard here and I'm guessing it's got a lot to do with that reprehensible vandalism on his family's church after the cup final a couple years back. Regardless, being out and about at 2am, with a few beers tipped back himself, without some better "friends" to steer you away from such an altercation is prob not the wisest choice he's made! Blaming the entire city? That's a bit much.
Statman Posted - 12/16/2013 : 22:16:23
Yeah, well his hometown didn't seem to be much of an issue until he put on a Bruins jersey.

Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page